Home U.S. Coin Forum

One of the Most Attractive SLQ's I've Seen

What do you think?

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is nice.

From the pic, you've got to grade that at least ms66.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    That looks like a coin that was part of a group, bought by a forum member years ago and for which images were posted.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning and I agree. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Is that a DDO IGWT & L ?
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it from that raw type set shown on the boards years ago?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• I'd buy her. Outstanding example. Do you own her?
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the coin is amazingly beautiful, however - I don't think it's market acceptable these days
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Stunning!

I was surprised when I opened this thread... I thought I was going to see a photo of the Most Attractive Salt Lake (city drag) Queen!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

<< <i>Was it from that raw type set shown on the boards years ago? >>

I haven't done a search for that set, but my guess was/is yes.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the coin is amazingly beautiful, however - I don't think it's market acceptable these days >>

I hate to say it but I agree with the above, I cannot imagine that coin ever landing in a PCGS holder (not that it necessarily needs to be to be appreciated).

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the coin is amazingly beautiful, however - I don't think it's market acceptable these days >>

I hate to say it but I agree with the above, I cannot imagine that coin ever landing in a PCGS holder (not that it necessarily needs to be to be appreciated).

Sean Reynolds >>

Just cut out a square of the board and submit it in situ. That'll prove a point.
    Unless there's wiping hairlines, of course.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sean Reynolds >>

I think it's truly a shame if any TPG finds fault with that coin's toning.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty. First thought when looking at the reverse is that it is AT. Hope not.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely gorgeous!
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    That is one beautiful SLQ!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly attractive, but I've never seen an SLQ with that kind of toning before. I'd want to see the coin in hand and check with someone I think is an expert in the NT / AT matter before considering a purchase....

Assuming the coin "passes the test," I probably wouldn't buy it because attractively toned coins in this series bring very strong premiums, and this coin in MS 65 or 66 FH is a type coin.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

• << <i>That looks like a coin that was part of a group, bought by a forum member years ago and for which images were posted. >>

It does. I have seen those colors on SLQs before, in NGC holders. But like TDN implied, you might have very tough time getting it into either an NGC or PCGS holder.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin was from a group a forum member bought a few years back in a custom holder. All the coins are graded as far as I know...don't remember PCGS or NGC.

John

<< <i>That coin was from a group a forum member bought a few years back in a custom holder. All the coins are graded as far as I know...don't remember PCGS or NGC.

John >>

I think NGC graded them and that the quarter graded 66FH or 67FH, probably with a star.
  • Nice coin for sure.Unusual toning for a SLQ.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't show that toning to Bushmaster image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Yuck. Toning. Cheers... RickO
  • jomjom Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't there a number of similarly toned 1929's around like that? Many have been graded by PCGS. Or I'm a thinking of another date? Mark, didn't you have one for sale recently?

Also, I find it hard to believe that could be considered not "market acceptable".

jom

<< <i>Aren't there a number of similarly toned 1929's around like that? Many have been graded by PCGS. Or I'm a thinking of another date? Mark, didn't you have one for sale recently?

Also, I find it hard to believe that could be considered not "market acceptable".

jom >>

You're thinking of a group of 1928 Quarters which look quite similar to each other. But they look very different from the coin in this thread.

Here is one of the 1928's that I sold previously:

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gorgeous, but good luck getting it holdered. You know somebody somewhere will have a knee-jerk "AT" reaction to it. I think the element of doubt would be strong enough to potentially cause it some problems at a TPG.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to be a downer but I'll bet it bags.
  • Wow! That's, that's awesome!

Coinsaboutforum.com Join today!
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It graded 66*FH at NGC. I wonder of Crazy4Coins still owns it?

<< <i>Not to be a downer but I'll bet it bags. >>

It appears that you lost your bet, as the coin apparently graded.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed or not my first impression was AT
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the OP`s coin is a 29? As a comparison here is my 29-S and we all love it in the this house...I purchased it from a very respected dealer a few years back and sits in the same older holder today... image Please bare with my lacking photography skills and my way out to lunch white balance...In hand it`s absolutely stunning with blasting luster... image

ABimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS 66+FH, not mine, just the imager

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's my toned SLQ in an ANACS holder.

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general, I think most silver coins from the 1916-1932 time frame with colorful target toning were likely dipped a one point on the past. The typical toning is gray for most silver coins, including commems prior to 1933.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick, take Silver out of that post, substitute "cleaned" for dipped and push the date farther back and we'd be in agreement!!image
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm certainly no expert on toning and color, and the coin looks beautiful, but it looks like there's a drop of red paint on the eagle's tail. Can someone explain to me how that could occur naturally? On the other hand, the other coins do looks naturally toned to me.

Tom

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    folks sharing their toned SLQs, here's one of mine

toned in the holder, but nothings a sure thing these days

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jom - I've seen a 29 P 6 FH in a PC holder that had uniform ice blue tinged toning on both obverse and reverse in 1999.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

I have to agree with this comment. And, have to say, even though I like the coin, I believe it to be full on AT.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    They can take it out of the oven now, it appears to be fully cooked.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • This is my coin. Image by Todd. Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins
    dalias13@hotmail.com
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that care the coin is PCGS MS 66+FH CAC.................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is my coin. Image by Todd. Dave W

Gorgeous coin. I bought a capped bust dime from you and it's still one of my favorite coins.

David J Weygant Rare Coins >>

<< <i>They can take it out of the oven now, it appears to be fully cooked. >>

Perhaps it appears that way to you and some others.

However, the coin was likely stored in the album page that was imaged/shown for a long time (and without any intent that it tone) by a previous owner. It and the others in the type set album it came from, might be very good examples of naturally toned coins that are questionable (to some), due solely to their beauty and unusual color. But not because of the storage method, time or intent involved.
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Looks cooked to me.
  • I'm on the fence as far as the OP. Wish I could hold it...
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is my coin. Image by Todd. Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins >>

I saw that coin in hand at the Houston $ Show - What a Beauty!!

I bought a 1917 Type 1 MS67FH SLQ from David instead.....

imageimage

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They can take it out of the oven now, it appears to be fully cooked. >>

Perhaps it appears that way to you and some others.

However, the coin was likely stored in the album page that was imaged/shown for a long time (and without any intent that it tone) by a previous owner. It and the others in the type set album it came from, might be very good examples of naturally toned coins that are questionable (to some), due solely to their beauty and unusual color. But not because of the storage method, time or intent involved. >>

I've seen a few coins come out of those old acid laiden press board coin holders where the rims are jet black and a bit porous. They just stayed in that environment for too long a period and if left there, the tarnish would eventually creep into the surfaces of the design. It appears since it has been holdered, it was removed in the nick of time.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file