Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Ricko "project" request---&---offer!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for years now to see some of the blast-white-nuclear-brilliant coins that Ricko talks about, coins that I have no doubt are in his collection. I understand and accept that he is unable to photograph them which is the reason why he has consistently not shown us any of his collection. I want to help!!! If the forum membership will join me in a concerted effort perhaps we can encourage Ricko to come out of the closet, per se. I will help to defray any cost of shipping/insuring his coins to his Forum-Shutterbug of choice as well as helping to pay the attendant cost of the photography. Will anyone join me, will any member volunteer to do the photography??

Most importantly, will you step up and let us help you, Ricko??

Al H.

Comments

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I would love to see his blast white coins!!
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be happy to help and carry insurance on shipping to help with costs.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see them too!image
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take some RickO photos... I need some example shots to prove I can photograph white coins, anyway image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    This could cost into the millions in photography costs alone! image

I'm in!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's doesn't want to hurt the pop counts...how many blast white 1894-S dimes and 1916 quarters can the market absorb? image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in !!! I've been wanting to see these coins for a long, long time now....Chears,Joeko image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    Two, really good, photographers on board so far. Come on Ricko!!! image
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, most of this would be up to Ricko ...

BUT ...

In the spirit of helping a board member and settling a long standing Board dilemma image

IIRC he has stated where he lives and that is easily within my travels.

So, if that is truely the case, and if he wanted, I would be willing to bring my gear to his destination (somewhere he felt comfortable) and photograph all I could in a day ... no cost.

My pictures would probably not be of quite the same quality as the other Todd's, or the many other more professional photographers here ... but I would do it gratis.

My reasoning is simple ...

I think Ricko would be an interesting guy to meet ... so meeting him in person would be part of the pleasure.

I'm sure seeing part or all of his collection would be worthwhile ... and that also would be worth the trip for me.

It'd be fun if he could put this all to rest!!

I'll be patiently awaiting a PM from the Master of Blast White!! image

Seriously Ricko, if you want, shoot me a PM and let's get to know each other a little better, and if you really want to have some of your stuff photographed, maybe we can make something fun and interesting out of it.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • He wont respond to your offer. I wonder "WHY"
    maybe he doesnt have any coinsimage
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He wont respond to your offer. I wonder "WHY"
    image >>

I doubt that, you don't become as knowledgeable as he is without being a collector of the finest white coins. image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He wont respond to your offer. I wonder "WHY"
    image >>

no, he does.

we ALL have coinsimage
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, no response yet.... deeeeep in the closet.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Maybe his coins are of a quality...such that...we are better of imagining what he has in his collection rather than knowing for sure.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea, Keets!!!!
    I'm sure RickO will love the idea!!! image

• Yeah, I'd send my coins to a stranger who challenged me on the internet. NOT.
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I have no doubt Ricko has some very nice coins and i'd like to see them image
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we going to have to subsidize special filters for the brightness level? Is there an F-stop fast enough?image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of personal, IMO.
  • SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Maybe Ricko will never be heard from again.....

Cheers, Ricko

imageimage

• ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I too, would love to see these so-called "blast white" coins. C'mon RickO let us in!

If only we could hook up mgoodm with ricko somehow, it would be like a lunar eclipseimage
    figglehorn
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've met Rick at local shows, before he moved. He has nothing to prove to anyone and, if it were me, I would ignore the thread as well (not saying he is, and he may visit the thread, but challenges are for the immature and Rick is not immature).

If Rick really cared to have his coins imaged, he could have done it, but it obviously wasn't (isn't?) in his priority list.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    any "challenge" is a misplaced inference.

<< <i>any "challenge" is a misplaced inference. >>

I read the OP'sP again and didn't see a challenge... I saw an offer to assist a fellow collector. I can see how it could be misconstrued if the intention were malicious, but I doubt keets was being malicious in his offer.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my post was not a "challenge" either, and I certainly hope it did not come off that way ...

it was an offer to shoot some coins, and meet a fellow member ... if he wanted to do so ... and my offer stands if Ricko would like to discuss further and he lives where I think he does

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    A coin collection is a very personal possession. If a collector does not wish to have pictures

taken, then his continued silence speaks volumes, as his last word on the matter.Let the idea rest in peace.

If it will make you happy, I can let you take a picture of my right paw and claws. I also have a 1910 penney
    in XF that could use a picture.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I was just egging him on, I meant no harm..
    figglehorn
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be happy to help and carry insurance on shipping to help with costs. >>

I'm in as well if Ricko wants to do this. I would understand if he didn't. He has nothing to prove to any of us but it would be a really cool project.

Ricko is a guy I would love to have a fine glass of wine with and shoot the cr@p with as well.

I imagine a cross between Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones. A character that would shoot you off of his porch for trespassing and could stitch you back up after taking a load of buckshot.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Well, my comment too was also probably too immature to work.
    But if I didn't try, i'd have to live with that regret.
  • Given his penchant for personal security, I see this thread Failing. image

I'd be more than willing to take some pictures if you are ever in the Tulsa area at a gun show RickO! image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

<< <i>Given his penchant for personal security, I see this thread Failing >>

Get off my lawn...............MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Like MJ stated Ricko does not have to prove anything but he expressed some effort to learn and upgrade his photo skills after he retired but never got to it for reasons that i now forgot after reading those old threads a while back... This would be a good opportunity for him to have his collection imaged if he so decides to take up the offer....Yes Ricko more than likely have Blast White coins but are you guys 1000% sure he does not have toners in his collection as well despite what he says here in his posts? image Can you imagine decades down the road when its revealed that he had the finest collection of toners more than Sunnywood/Simpson & Sonnier? I can just see our Ricko having the last laugh. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DON'T DO IT, RICK! REMAIN AN ENIGMA!

Cheers,

Bob
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like MJ stated Ricko does not have to prove anything but he expressed some effort to learn and upgrade his photo skills after he retired but never got to it for reasons that i now forgot after reading those old threads a while back... This would be a good opportunity for him to have his collection imaged if he so decides to take up the offer....Yes Ricko more than likely have Blast White coins but are you guys 1000% sure he does not have toners in his collection as well despite what he says here in his posts? image Can you imagine decades down the road when its revealed that he had the finest collection of toners more than Sunnywood/Simpson & Sonnier? I can just see our Ricko having the last laugh. image >>

Yeah, he is just trying to diminish interest in toners so he can get them cheaper.image

Then again, one man's blast white coins are pretty much like another man's blast white coins.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably no response while he dips the last few before being discovered as a lover of the tone. image

Nice offer guys...I believe it is indeed an offer made in the generous good-natured spirit of the forum.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Like MJ stated Ricko does not have to prove anything but he expressed some effort to learn and upgrade his photo skills after he retired but never got to it for reasons that i now forgot after reading those old threads a while back... This would be a good opportunity for him to have his collection imaged if he so decides to take up the offer....Yes Ricko more than likely have Blast White coins but are you guys 1000% sure he does not have toners in his collection as well despite what he says here in his posts? image Can you imagine decades down the road when its revealed that he had the finest collection of toners more than Sunnywood/Simpson & Sonnier? I can just see our Ricko having the last laugh. image >>

I agree with you, I bet his toners are amazing! image

Here is my 2 cents, I hope he does what he feels is right to him. Like Bear said, a coin collection is a personal thing. I think better than him shipping off his coins would be for an expert here on the forums come to his house and show him the finer points of imaging round white discs. It would help get two folks together to meet and discuss coins that would probably never meet otherwise and he would learn how the most out of his photography down the road we could possibly see more pictures.

What ever you decide to do, I enjoy hearing rickos comments here! He makes this place awesome!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for years now to see some of the blast-white-nuclear-brilliant coins that Ricko talks about,......... >>

Maybe I'm wrong but I don;t recall Ricko every talking about his "blast-white-nuclear-brilliant coins". The only thing I recall him ever mentioning is that toning is tarnish and if left long enough, it will damage the coin (which in some cases is true).
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    If he agrees to let a photographer to come shoot his coins I envison the following conditions must be met but not limited to:

Go to an agreed upon hardware store near Rickoville. Aisle 3, acetone section, third shelf where a note will be waiting. Follow said instructions

Go to the specified coordinates where a burlap sack is placed over your head from behind and you are stuffed into a very large trunk of a very long vechicle. I'm thinking a 100 point Concours Grand Marquis Brougham

3) After 3 hours of driving around so not to be followed you finally arrive at Casa de Ricko where after the drawbridge lowered back down over the moat you are lead to the panic room where you are allowed to set up in total darkness. That is, until the first chest of coins are brought in...............the chest is opened and then................you shoot the coins and report back to us stat.

MJ
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love nice toners, but I also have nice white coins too. I imagine that his white ones look a lot like mine do.

Then again DK would never arrange for a small sampling of his coins to be exhibited either. To each their own.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet you Ricko has the most beautiful COLORED coins out there. Including those Obama quarters.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm wrong but I don;t recall Ricko every talking about his "blast-white-nuclear-brilliant coins". The only thing I recall him ever mentioning is that toning is tarnish and if left long enough, it will damage the coin (which in some cases is true).

Monday July 05, 2010 8:59 AM
    I am a Buff collector who would not even consider buying one with tarnish. I consider it ugly - in all stages and colors. Cheers, RickO

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand fully the point and interest of the post, but Rick-O, two things. . .

First, I respect your collections to the fullest. I'll respect them more if they have any portion in Doilies. That is my coin "non-OT" portion of this post.

Secondly, I am headed up to the range in 29 minutes to do an ammo test of the Federal GMM .308 and the American Eagle OTM .308. Hoping the AE shoots as well . . it is about 1/2 the cost.

GO DOILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drunner

(edited for spelling. An English teacher with fat fingers HATES typos.)

• << <i>

<< <i>I would be happy to help and carry insurance on shipping to help with costs. >>

I'm in as well if Ricko wants to do this. I would understand if he didn't. He has nothing to prove to any of us but it would be a really cool project.

Ricko is a guy I would love to have a fine glass of wine with and shoot the cr@p with as well.

I imagine a cross between Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones. A character that would shoot you off of his porch for trespassing and could stitch you back up after taking a load of buckshot.

MJ >>

A "fine glass of wine" ????? I thought you were a Dos Equis guy! image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I am totally amazed and agog at this thread. I had not seen this prior to my absence for an activity that took all of my attention. Thanks to Goldbully who PM'd a link to here. Let me say I am imageLMAO at MJ and some of the other comments. MJ, I do not know where you live, but would love to share a bottle of good red wine with you. As to Keets proposal, sorry, I just will not ship my coins anywhere. I did make a promise to learn some coin photography after I retired - I have not done so and must rectify that. I did buy a stand alone photo kit with light and a backdrop, but never progressed beyond that point. Todd, thank you for your generous offer. I live in the snow bound Catskill Mountains - not exactly easily accessible. I will have to refocus on this project and provide some pictures. I was just looking at my gold Haida coin... that deserves a picture itself.
    Let me say I am surprised that I was even missed... but I was 'involved' in something that took my total concentration.
    Glad to be back...
    Cheers, RickO
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Ricko, we all missed you....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ricko nice to see you back and hope your absence was of a good nature...I don`t blame you one bit for not wanting to ship your collection any where...That gold piece you speak of i bet is one fine coin and sounds like you are very fond of it and if you do decide to share pics of it someday i look forward to it... image Again nice to see ya back and stay warm... image

ABimage

<< <i>Welcome back Ricko, we all missed you.... >>

Cheers!!! image
    Any member that neutralizes my sense of humor is a value add in my book! image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now where's Keets????? image
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't make ricko show you his 45 and I don't mean his XF45 either.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file