Home U.S. Coin Forum

What would this 1795 Dollar grade?

Comments

• SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    XF45
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Genuine for environmental damage or altered surfaces.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    XF details
    Was it in a fire?
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Genuine for environmental damage or altered surfaces. >>

Yeah, the staining is rather bothersome.

Russ, NCNE
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of meat on that coin. Too bad about the environmental damage.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Why do I think the coin might be a (scary) counterfeit? There's something about Russ's tone in this thread, as well as the unusual nature of the "environmental damage".
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    It could be an AU50 if it were problem-free.
    If it slabbed it probably would be a `genuine`
    nevertheless, i wouldn`t kick it out of my humble collection. tfs
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If genuine, au details, stained, cleaned, tooled
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>Why do I think the coin might be a (scary) counterfeit?. >>

I was thinking the same thing... image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭
    has the look of a chinese counterfeit for some reason, but if genuine, I'd think it could be a 50
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    My first thought was EF45 details/body bag. Anacs might go AU50 details though.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Genuine for environmental damage or altered surfaces. >>

have to agree
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU details/environmental damge
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    For smoe strange reason the Draped Bust Liberty just doesn't look right on that coin.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counterfeit.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I am thinking counterfeit now after a second look because of the denticles. The bust looks really good though if indeed counterfeit
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice starsimage
  • Those stars simply represent the original 15 colonies. image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those stars simply represent the original 15 colonies. image >>

15 stars is correct.

Russ, NCNE
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭
    The clouds look weak compared to the rest of the details, not genuine
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    The reverse gets to me the most. Overall though a nice one
  • Well, I don't see how you guys can conclude it's a fake, given all the unknown minor die variations conceded to have existed back then. At least, not just by looking at some pictures.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure it's a "badly made fake" but I'll go with those who think it is fake.

The dentils look wrong...not as crisply formed as they should be, particularly where they meet the fields.

If it's fake it feels like a copy from a real one.
    Lance.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not my series but I think it is counterfeit as well- just not sure if it is a comtemporary counterfeit

I think it is deceptive - but I and not seeing adjustment marks or some of the characterists one would likely see

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Kinda looks fake.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    No opinion here, but my, how everyone jumps on the bandwagon when coinguy1 post he thinks it's fake.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For smoe strange reason the Draped Bust Liberty just doesn't look right on that coin. >>

I didn't realize they made both types in 95. Disregard my last post.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I am late to this party, but that coin
    was not made on a US screw press.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Remember, the Chinese used the 1795 off center to make their DBSE fakes. This looks alot like the one I have.

I posted on this before but I once persuaded a ebay purveyor of these fakes to send me one, on approval. This, after one of them appeared to fetch ~$10K in a private auction. I emailed the seller and said i would like one too, adding that seller should send it to me and if I like it, I will pay. Seller replied that I had to win the coin first, pay, then it would be shipped. I advised the seller that he dishonored me. That in my country people always send me coins and I only pay if I like. In one of the emails I provided my address.

Much to my surprise, one came in the mail about 3 weeks later. Seller probably figured that the outside chance I would be dumb enough to send him money made sending it worthwhile.
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I posted on this before but I once persuaded a ebay purveyor of these fakes to send me one, on approval. This, after one of them appeared to fetch ~$10K in a private auction. I emailed the seller and said i would like one too, adding that seller should send it to me and if I like it, I will pay. Seller replied that I had to win the coin first, pay, then it would be shipped. I advised the seller that he dishonored me. That in my country people always send me coins and I only pay if I like. In one of the emails I provided my address.. >>

lol well played
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Counterfeit. >>

Hair curls under B and E, should be under E and R. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • I would have guessed genuine and XFish. Would have fooled me.
  • numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Grade wise, high end VF tops.image

Brian
    NUMO
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I think it needs to see a coin doctor.....it looks like it has vitiligo.
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has a very simmilar looks to a lot of trade dollars these days.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    very similar to this one
    but yours has been hit with a torch

my pictured coin on eBay currently at $2 delivered

• << <i>

15 stars is correct.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, that was just my lame reply to Grip, as he didn't explain what he sees wrong with the stars. Back up a little, you'll see that. image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Counterfeit. >>

Yup. Depressions in the field give it away.
  • Im so glad I got out of collecting higher end type coins!

<< <i>

<< <i>

15 stars is correct.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, that was just my lame reply to Grip, as he didn't explain what he sees wrong with the stars. Back up a little, you'll see that. image >>

My fault.I should have just said,the stars look cartoonish.

• << <i>very similar to this one
    but yours has been hit with a torch >>

Omitting pictures to conserve bandwidth, but I guess this is the point at which one says, "Seeing is believing." Good job. image

• << <i>My fault.I should have just said,the stars look cartoonish. >>

Yeah, that's what I say, and you should be punished for neglecting to say that! And exiled! image
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1795 off center bust dollar is often faked, with the diagnostics of the copies closely matching a geniune coin. This coin has the same degree of bifurcation on T and Y and probably came from the same fake dies that sinin 1 posted, with the obverse field tooled. The transfer dies copied the bifurcation of the genuine coin and will be on all fakes made from these dies, which would not be the case on genuine coins. The edge lettering will also indicate a bogus bust dollar.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1795 off center bust dollar is often faked, with the diagnostics of the copies closely matching a geniune coin. This coin has the same degree of bifurcation on T and Y and probably came from the same fake dies that sinin 1 posted, with the obverse field tooled. The transfer dies copied the bifurcation of the genuine coin and will be on all fakes made from these dies, which would not be the case on genuine coins. The edge lettering will also indicate a bogus bust dollar. >>

Thank you. Do I understand correctly, then, that the stars on the counterfeit posted by Russ, will match those seen on genuine examples?
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I agree with counterfeit...the denticles look odd.

-Paul
    For comparison..hope it's realimage....forgot to mention,this is off center.

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< The 1795 off center bust dollar is often faked, with the diagnostics of the copies closely matching a geniune coin. This coin has the same degree of bifurcation on T and Y and probably came from the same fake dies that sinin 1 posted, with the obverse field tooled. The transfer dies copied the bifurcation of the genuine coin and will be on all fakes made from these dies, which would not be the case on genuine coins. The edge lettering will also indicate a bogus bust dollar. >> >>

<< <i>Thank you. Do I understand correctly, then, that the stars on the counterfeit posted by Russ, will match those seen on genuine examples? >>

The position of the stars relative to L and Y match 1795 B14, along with star to dentil orientation. However, stars 9-15 on the coin Russ posted appear to be slightly filled between the points, from a incomplete transfer from the original when the fake dies were made. There is also a joined dentil under 17 on both Sinin 1 and Russ' coin, but not on a genuine 1795 B14. Notice that obverse T is filled at the base on Grip's geniune posted coin, but on both fakes is bifurcated
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    just curious jdillane, did you ever pay for the one that was sent to you or did you just rip the guy off ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file