Home U.S. Coin Forum

By Golly! Ive made a Discovery! 3 Cent Feuchtwanger reverse

2»

Comments

• robecrobec Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Your large photo just proves what others are saying, the result of unfilled with metal.

Look at the N at 11 o'clock and the C and O at 1 o'clock. It has been a fun and educational read for sure.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing these new pics confirms to me I am seeing Bifurcated letters.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave Bowers has replied

Reply Dictated by Q. David Bowers

MEMO TO: (edited email out)

Dear Ray,

Thank you for your inquiry which was sent to me when I was in Tampa attending a convention.

I have reviewed the dies carefully, and both seem to be identical. There can be some small differences in the letter serifs and also the bases, as striking can make some bases appear to be other than straight. However, it is the general position of the letters, punched into the die by hand, that would define a new die.

I very much appreciate your enthusiasm for the Feuchtwanger coinage.

All good wishes to you for a Happy New Year.

Sincerely,

—Dave Bowers
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump for the question on bifurcation.

There are other useful links within.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    An Interesting thread. The conclusion is the strongly struck proof like strike had curled foot letters while the weaker struck ht265 had straight feet ,,,,from the same die.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so my humble conclusion is that the initial reply over two years ago established what two years of research and correspondence concluded. forum knowledge is like all those Visa commercials..........priceless.image
    The thread was raised to answer Realones thread on the bifurcation of letters on his early silver.
    ..................and my reply was simply to point out that the two were struck from the same die and that the forum figured it out almost instantly. I made an innocuous post, not trying to pick a fight.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it more to do with the gap between the dies when the pieces were struck than a new die variety. The first piece was weakly struck because the dies did not come together properly and some of the detail was lost. The second piece is sharply struck and more of the detail shows.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the sancreek font! Nice discovery! But there's a thread that I've never seen........a history on the various fonts used on our coins. I see another registry set waiting in the horizon.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Die Wear?

On an R7+ piece? image >>

Yes. Die wear. Just because it's R7+. >>

Working on a series such as HTT's which has limited printed reference material is tough, as the degree of rarity assigned to many tokens needs to be re-addressed. IMHO these 3 Cent Feuchtwangers are not as scarce on the rarity scale degree assigned by Lyman Low 110 years ago. Russell Rulau's rarity scale which adopted Lyman Low's has also not changed over the course of 9 editions. His last printing in 2001 is a very out dated guide book compared to the impact the internet has placed on locating examples in this series. There are plenty of R-1 and R-2 HTT's that are tougher to locate then some of the elusive examples on the rarity scale. These R-1 and R-2's should be raised to R-3 or R-4's and also some R-7's which should be tapered down to R-5 or R-6. >>

Fully agree with this as it relates to HTTs. It would be great to see an update of rarities on the HTT's. My sense is that those in the know, aren't really interested much in sharing that information, preferring instead to use this information to their advantage. Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you. Plus, the effort to update the rarities, might be a monumental task.

Tom

<< <i>An Interesting thread. The conclusion is the strongly struck proof like strike had curled foot letters while the weaker struck ht265 had straight feet ,,,,from the same die. >>

Interesting post, Ray. You and I have spoken of this issue before, but I never fully understood it until now. I think I side with the majority here though. In addition to the thoughtful comments provides by others, the comment to "Look at the N at 11 o'clock and the C and O at 1 o'clock" persuaded me somewhat. Always enjoy your enthusiasm and those 3 centers.

Tom

Realone--I don't know. I would have to go back and study it. And I will eventually. Are you saying that the 3 centers are different varieties, or that that the E and R (and C and O) were recut? I am saying that the Capt'n comments make the most sense to me here and that my above quoted comment and the overlay seem to bear that out.

Tom

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should send me the one on the right. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    TTT for stealer!!image
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    These serifs reminded me a little of these in Smitty's thread: War 5C

Eric
    dude, that's why I TTT'd the thread!!image
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    One mans Smitty is anothers Stealer? image

Eric image
    not really, I was PM'd by stealer regarding the Nickel, so that's who I ttt'd for.

Another bump for the recent thread on BIFURCATION

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

bump

• MartinMartin Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss guys like ambros
    And several other posters of this thread
    Martin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file