Home Precious Metals
Options

Au & Ag failing miserably

Failing miserably in the sense that the concencus seems to be $30+ for Ag and $1500+ for Au is inevitable fairly short term. Well with a 2nd run at those numbers and backing off considerably upon approaching them, I view it as a failure.
Here's why...Ag has run 50% in the last 4 months, but when it gets to a number that everyone feels it will not only reach but surpass, it backs off hard. If it can run 50% in 4 months, why is the number most feel it will reach so intimidating to not only reach, but overcome?
Is it fear and people just want to cash out and sell because it has reached close to the almighty coveted number? Is it people who are into ti 200% cheaper than what it's at seeing $ signs? Or could it just be MANIPULATION!?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't expect to get rich off of pms however I think they are doing very well......much better than any savings account, CD, or money market account that the bank offers.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    natural resistance to the top of a moving average will always trigger consolidation.

the only action that is important is that a base is rebuilt and movement continues...upward.

and it is

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a failure yet.

Silver is still working on forming a possible cup and handle (or an ascending triangle) while gold is in a symmetrical triangle consolidation. One would certainly have expected some sharp resistance as silver hit $29+ again and gold tried to hit $1400. The pull backs were so sharp they look almost contrived. Silver could pull back to $27 to add a handle and it would still hold the uptrend line.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Gold and silver are doing anything BUT failing! Because they dont breach some expected number in your head in the timeframe you want them to breach that number doesnt indicate a fail. It simply indicates that you have some unrealistic expectations.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand your disappointment. Silver solidly above $28 and gold above $1380 is what I view as success. Not long ago $25 and $1300 looked insurmountable.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand your disappointment. Silver solidly above $28 and gold above $1380 is what I view as success. Not long ago $25 and $1300 looked insurmountable. >>

Just 2 years ago today gold was at $750 and silver at $9.50.

For Rich to imply some sort of "fail" because they havent broken through $1400 and $30 is completely erroneous. Rich, gold has almost doubled in just 2 years, and silver has TRIPLED in that same time. Please explain to this forum how that even remotely qualifies as a "fail".
  • Options
    I LOVE BEING A FALURE .......

imageimage
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't understand your disappointment. Silver solidly above $28 and gold above $1380 is what I view as success. Not long ago $25 and $1300 looked insurmountable. >>

Just 2 years ago today gold was at $750 and silver at $9.50.

For Rich to imply some sort of "fail" because they havent broken through $1400 and $30 is completely erroneous. Rich, gold has almost doubled in just 2 years, and silver has TRIPLED in that same time. Please explain to this forum how that even remotely qualifies as a "fail". >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Au & Ag failing miserably

Why, have the governments of the world stopped spending money like drunken sailors?

Your logic escapes me. image

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no complaints here. it's still about the dollar. When that changes poistive momentum will increase.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Once again....nah, it aint even worth taking the time to explain my view regarding this because most of you have your minds made up about anything I say. It's "popular" to disagree with me because I dont follow the crowd and think outside the box, and I understand that. So be it and thanks for continuing to reply to my threads just to disagree with me. It's very revealing what the motive is in your replies LOL! todalu.
  • Options

<< <i>I LOVE BEING A FALURE .......

imageimage >>

• Options
    If you ask for opinions, expect them.

• Options

<< <i>Once again....nah, it aint even worth taking the time to explain my view regarding this because most of you have your minds made up about anything I say. It's "popular" to disagree with me because I dont follow the crowd and think outside the box, and I understand that. So be it and thanks for continuing to reply to my threads just to disagree with me. It's very revealing what the motive is in your replies LOL! todalu. >>

Rich, when did you get in on metals? Maybe its simply a misunderstanding of perspective? If a person has aquired the bulk (75%+) of their metals in the past 12 months, then maybe they see the current stagnation as being a failure. However, MANY members of this forum have been involved im precious metals for a decade or longer.....some much longer. They, and I, will never agree with your view that Au and Ag are "failing", during their all-time highs period.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

up $164+ per oz year to date

up $9.28 per oz year to date
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Anyone know what the all time high - daily close is from 1980?

roadrunner
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Once again....nah, it aint even worth taking the time to explain my view regarding this because most of you have your minds made up about anything I say. It's "popular" to disagree with me because I dont follow the crowd and think outside the box, and I understand that. So be it and thanks for continuing to reply to my threads just to disagree with me. It's very revealing what the motive is in your replies LOL! todalu. >>

I haven't made my mind up in regards to anything about you, but will reply to say that I don't agree that silver and gold are failures in terms given in the OP.

I'm a very small time bullion buyer, bought a couple ounces at $400 and sold at $440 a few years ago, and maybe owned and sold 10 ounces all together. BUT, I've bought three PCGS double eagles in the past two months at $1500 each.

I feel better about them than if I'd put it the stock market or if I'd left it in the bank. Maybe I'm just on a bandwagon.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know what the all time high - daily close is from 1980?

roadrunner >>

I believe it it was $843

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it fear and people just want to cash out and sell because it has reached close to the almighty coveted number? Is it people who are into ti 200% cheaper than what it's at seeing $ signs? Or could it just be MANIPULATION!?

lol, you didn't think that these were "free markets", did you? The thing that's driving these precious metals markets is the truth about currencies. Every day, a few more stock market investors finally sit back and say, "What am I doing?"
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MJ, was looking for the all time high daily close for silver. It whipsawed so quick on that one or two days it's all time close might only be in the $30's.

thanks

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i>MJ, was looking for the all time high daily close for silver. It whipsawed so quick on that one or two days it's all time close might only be in the $30's.

thanks

roadrunner >>

Whoops. If memory serves me correctly I believe it was $48.............MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Rich, when did you get in on metals? Maybe its simply a misunderstanding of perspective? If a person has aquired the bulk (75%+) of their metals in the past 12 months, then maybe they see the current stagnation as being a failure. However, MANY members of this forum have been involved im precious metals for a decade or longer.....some much longer. They, and I, will never agree with your view that Au and Ag are "failing", during their all-time highs period.

Phil,
    All I'm really getting at is the HYPE that folks were saying that Ag is going to go to $30+ (+ being the key thing).
    ok, now it has made 2 recent runs a little above $29 (keep in mind when I posted the thread it had topped out at $29.05 for the day and was at $24.40-ish). Congratulations to those folks that believed the HYPE, laid their $ down and bought some Ag as little as 4 months ago. They have had 2 chances to cash out for a near 40-50%+ gain if bought/sold at prcise highs/lows.
    My question is why cant it break thru the expectation that is has come up against? Apparently, some people (not you) didnt read my whole original post. jmski52 did and gave some meaningful feedback to the questions I asked.
    That's all i'm saying...where I personally bought in or what my cost avg. is is not the motivating factor of my questions. What is, is why cant it break thru when it has run up to, so quickly, the HYPED number that everyone was throwing out there 4-5 months ago? If it can run 50% in 4 months, what's stopping it? My suggestion is that it is being heavily MANIPULATED (as I said in my OP), but some folks only read what they want to read. If they wouldve takent the time to read it all, maybe they wouldve understood better what I was asking/suggesting.
    I wonder how many folks will actually read my whole post now...or will they only pick apart what they want to like they did with my thread about Govt. wage freezes???
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Silver was around $18/oz in late August. It has gone up virtually straight line to its current price of $28.50 or so. Yes, there have been a few speed bumps along the way, but that's about a 55% increase in a little over three months. (I am trying to post a copy of the 1 year Silver chart from Kitco but am having problems doing so).

It has only been near this price once in the last three decades, so I do not see a minor (in my book) pullback as a failure.
  • Options
    The question is why cant it break thru the much hyped and nearly achieved number of $30+...not so much why did it pull back. But I guess they go hand in hand.
  • Options
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I remember this question being asked -- quite frequently, and for some length of time -- about why spot gold couldn't break through $1000. Looking at the chart, there was validity to the question.

The timing of this question is a bit premature... but... if silver does not break $30 in the next say 12 - 16 months... not only will this question be asked over and over again... but we will have the knowledge that YOU asked it first in this forum... and much congrats will be due.

And I don't think its "popular" here to disagree with you... if it seems that way... let me be the first to apologize.

• Options
    Whoa! Gold just failed straight up $10 in the last 30 minutes or so. No matter, it's just being volatile and 10:00 AM isn't here yet.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The question is why cant it break thru the much hyped and nearly achieved number of $30+...not so much why did it pull back. But I guess they go hand in hand. >>

Some day drive from Goodland, Kansas to Colodado Springs, CO. Once you get into the foothills you will go up and down and up and down and up and down and eventually find yourself at 6,000 feet altitude in beautiful downtown C-Springs. It is not a straight-line steady climb, but you get there.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The question is why cant it break thru the much hyped and nearly achieved number of $30+...not so much why did it pull back. But I guess they go hand in hand. >>

Its called "late to the game" syndrome image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Why did it take 6 times over 16 yrs to finally break Dow 1000 for good from 1966-1982?
    Why did it take several attempts at or near $1000 for gold to finally leave it behind? Same question for gold at 1000 Euros.
    Why has copper taken several cracks over a couple of years at $4.00 and still not said good bye to it forever?
    Why did it take silver approx 2-1/2 yrs of trying to permanently crack the $20 barrier after several attempts?

Apparently, all markets are manipulated. The only question is "how much?"

So what was the question again about $30 silver?

roadrunner
  • Options

30 is just a number. It comes after 25 and before 35.

• Options
    Apparently, all markets are manipulated. The only question is "how much?"

My suggestion of it being manipulated was really more in the rhetorical sense. But if you feel that you need to say it, thanks for agreeing with me.

Its called "late to the game" syndrome

Dont think so there bud...been at this quite awhile. You missed the point of the entire thread. Just thought you should know that it is not about anything to do with me or what my cost avg. is (as I have already said, did you take the time to read my entire posts'?), it's about why it cant seem to break thru $30+ when it was/is so heavily hyped to do so...and why if it can run 50% in 4 months, but has stopped short of the hyped number 3 times now?
    My (rhetorical) suggestion is that it's heavily manipulated (why I put that word in CAPS).
    Here I go having to explain myself again and I promised myself that I would end doing so. If a person cant read between the lines of something that is staring them in the face, why should I take the time and effort to hold their hand?
    This concludes this rant. Have a nice day and thanks for contributing.

P.S.
    I cant tell you how wrong I want to be on this having a modest holding for a regular guy like me, but I'm staying true to how I really feel about what is going on with the metals, Ag especially. If it reaches $30, even $35 that would be very nice, but will it break out from that (the whole basis of my point) or at least hold steady?
  • Options
    I haven't seen silver being hyped at $30.00/oz. Just hyped in general. Either way, it really doesn't need much help. It's a worthy holding for anyone who doesn't mind some volatility.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    It's a worthy holding for anyone who doesn't mind some volatility.

HEY! We're making progress, on that I completely agree.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    piecesofme, It does look like manipulation in a way, and it sort of is, but could just be an excellent platform the bat the price down because of the past price history. Big bucks will beat it down from there 3 or 4 times just because of 4.00 copper, 1000.00 gold etc. that RR mentioned. Smart money will runaway when it quits workingimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    To me the question is not how much manipulation, but how much can I make off the manipulators.
  • Options
    Case solved. MJ
  • Options
    Case solved. MJ

Oh really? I said this back on 12/3:
    If it reaches $30, even $35 that would be very nice, but will it break out from that (the whole basis of my point) or at least hold steady?

Reaching a given point is one thing...building upon or at the very least maintaining is quite another, isnt it?
  • Options

<< <i>Case solved. MJ

If it reaches $30, even $35 that would be very nice, but will it break out from that (the whole basis of my point) or at least hold steady?

Reaching a given point is one thing...building upon or at the very least maintaining is quite another, isnt it? >>

My own fault to responding to one of your thread. My mistake, it won't happen it. MJ
  • Options
    As has been demonstrated time and time again, if anyone makes enough top calls, eventually they'll be proven right.

What do you figure for the bottom call?

roadrunner
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Case solved. MJ

Reaching a given point is one thing...building upon or at the very least maintaining is quite another, isnt it? >>

My own fault to responding to one of your thread. My mistake, it won't happen it. MJ >>

That ought to teach you. image
  • Options
    My own fault to responding to one of your thread. My mistake
    But yet you found it necessarry to do it again.

lmao! Being simple minded with horse blinders on will only get you so far. Seeing the bigger picture will have you prepared for what's ahead.
    $30.73 down to $28.85 and closing very near the low of the day is a good thing to those of you that think this hard move downward wasn't inevitable????
    I'm honestly not gloating, just validating a point made nearly a week ago.
    I dont look out more than 3 months if that helps you to see how I view things, hence the "week ago" statement.
  • Options
    What do you figure for the bottom call?

What's the timeframe that I am supposed to predict this? Meaning, by when it will reach this point? Because as Im sure that you're aware rr, timing is everything.
  • Options
    Silver failed all summer when it couldn't breach 18$. I declare Summer silver a failure!!! image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Unjust bought some so of course it dropped! Will prob drop to $26-$27 and slowly return to $30+. All depends on the job market IMO.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    As has been demonstrated time and time again, if anyone makes enough top calls, eventually they'll be proven right

I'm the first to admit that i've been wrong since about $25 being that thats about when I stopped making larger quantity buys for fear of being trapped. But thats not to say that I wasnt doing deals. All I have been saying since then is be careful for something like what happened today. I amped that up about this time last week and low n behold it happened today. I even said that I wasnt gloating, just making the point that I brought up a week ago known.
    In fact, I think todays action is the best thing that couldve happened. Ag needed a beatdown like today.
    Now you're asking me for the bottom as if I have a crystal ball? Hell...I dont know, but when it gets close to bottoming out, I'll amp it up as I did a week ago in letting people know it's close. That's all i'm saying guys.
    If you can make a prediction and call the exact top and the exact bottom, you wouldnt be on these message boards. I feel that if I can get 65% (2/3) of that full bottom/top movement, thats good enough for me and thats about what I did. Trying to get anything more is greed or not being able to admit to oneslef that they are wrong and cut the losses.
  • Options
    image I'd rather look at Wolfs Turd!

Than read egotistical BS!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    WOW! Now that's the post of the year for missing the point! Nice job Tim. But I must say, about what I expected. Just didnt think that somebody could be that far off the mark. image
  • Options
    Avid collector of GSA's.