Home Precious Metals

When you are buying SAEs as bullion

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
and getting them in rolls of 20, do you really care if they are all the same year or not?
I did, but talking to a friend today, who is one of the SHTF type of thinkers, he doesn't care as long as it is 20 of them in each group.
Can be all 2009, 2010, 2008, etc. Or, can be 1 2010, 2 2009, 18 2003, etc.

Do YOU care, if you are a buying of SAEs for the bullion content alone?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were buying them in rolls, I might care if some of them were banged-up or colorized, but I wouldn't care if they were different dates. In fact, if alot of them were different dates, I'd probably start a date set. (Like that's what I really need - another collection!)
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, if it wasn't for Coin Vault all gov't issue bullion would just be worth current spot. As it was mint~ed to beimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut says more recent dates I'd like and expect to see solid date rolls. 2005 and forward, maybe?

But earlier coins I don't think I'd mind mixed rolls.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I will add if I pay spot for them 20 count is all I would worry about.

Now if'in I was in the $3 oz premium per ASE range I'd get real picky!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    yep I care but it might be the OCD part of me.

I want to see 20 of one year, not 4 of this year, 8 of this year and 8 of another. I want a full roll to be of one specific year image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll trade your 1996 roll for a 1 1/2 roll of either 2009 or 2010...Anny takers?image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, I would want them all to be the same date...probably OCD as well image

My friend I was talking to today, he said he didn't care. He was going to go buy local (where they get opened, spread out, fingered, smudged, etc, then put back in a roll) but I was kind of planning to sell a few, so he said he wanted them from me. I only have a full 2010 now that I got out of the SDB but I do have some partials. Told him that and he said he didn't care as long as he got a roll of 20. Wasn't sure if that was just him or if others were like that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Not only do I want them to be of one date, but they must be unmolested as well - BU. All the rolls I've bought have been this way, from 2008-2010. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy mixed rolls, however, but I'd want to know exactly what I was buying.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were buying rolls of ASE's, mixed dates would be fine as long as they were in good condition and undamaged. After all, I would just be buying some silver bullion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care if the roll is mixed or uniform dates.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I bought a roll I'd want solid date. If I put 20 singles together as a roll myself, I wouldn't care.
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    In agreement with most previous replies, if you're burying them in the backyard, to be dug out only to barter for sacks of potatoes, wheat, and corn, it may make no difference. But if you think you might eventually sell or trade them to someone experienced and knowledgeable, you'd preferably want them to be in unopened monster boxes, or unopened mint rolls, or in complete date sets without conspicuous flaws in good quality albums. Don't you want to leave as many of your options open as possible?
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll trade your 1996 roll for a 1 1/2 roll of either 2009 or 2010...Anny takers?image >>

OPA you are one step ahead of me!

but to answer you Ron, i don't care. as long as they were UNC (no pocket pieces and there are some). colorized ones? i guess i'd dip those off.

• << <i>In agreement with most previous replies, if you're burying them in the backyard, to be dug out only to barter for sacks of potatoes, wheat, and corn, it may make no difference. But if you think you might eventually sell or trade them to someone experienced and knowledgeable, you'd preferably want them to be in unopened monster boxes, or unopened mint rolls, or in complete date sets without conspicuous flaws in good quality albums. Don't you want to leave as many of your options open as possible? >>

In that case you are NOT buying SAEs "as bullion". And since that is what the OP asked about, then dates/condition shouldnt really matter much. I dont pay over melt on STRICTLY bullion anymore, so if I could buy SAEs at melt, I dont care what date is on them.
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In agreement with most previous replies, if you're burying them in the backyard, to be dug out only to barter for sacks of potatoes, wheat, and corn, it may make no difference. But if you think you might eventually sell or trade them to someone experienced and knowledgeable, you'd preferably want them to be in unopened monster boxes, or unopened mint rolls, or in complete date sets without conspicuous flaws in good quality albums. Don't you want to leave as many of your options open as possible? >>

In that case you are NOT buying SAEs "as bullion". And since that is what the OP asked about, then dates/condition shouldnt really matter much. I dont pay over melt on STRICTLY bullion anymore, so if I could buy SAEs at melt, I dont care what date is on them. >>

Why does it have to be strictly only one or the other? Why can't they be bullion and at the same time retain some potential collectible value? Wasn't that one of the main points of Eric Jordan in his recent book Modern Commemorative Coins?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>In agreement with most previous replies, if you're burying them in the backyard, to be dug out only to barter for sacks of potatoes, wheat, and corn, it may make no difference. But if you think you might eventually sell or trade them to someone experienced and knowledgeable, you'd preferably want them to be in unopened monster boxes, or unopened mint rolls, or in complete date sets without conspicuous flaws in good quality albums. Don't you want to leave as many of your options open as possible? >>

In that case you are NOT buying SAEs "as bullion". And since that is what the OP asked about, then dates/condition shouldnt really matter much. I dont pay over melt on STRICTLY bullion anymore, so if I could buy SAEs at melt, I dont care what date is on them. >>

Why does it have to be strictly only one or the other? Why can't they be bullion and at the same time retain some potential collectible value? Wasn't that one of the main points of Eric Jordan in his recent book Modern Commemorative Coins? >>

Because the OP specifically states "as bullion". Had he left that caveat out of his question...(When you are buying SAEs).....then I agree with you. Fair enough?
    Bullion, but still SAEs. There are premiums on SAEs.
    In this case, all pieces are BU (not pocket pieces) and are unmolested (not colorized).
    They are "fresh" out of BU rolls that may have had some 1-offs removed for albums/trade/etc.
    They may be MS70 but may more likely be MS67/68/69, which is why I called them "bullion" instead of thinking of them as "gotta slab".

• at today's price of silver, what would one expect tp pay for a roll of 20?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

• << <i>at today's price of silver, what would one expect tp pay for a roll of 20? >>

Figure about $2.50/coin over melt or so. At $29 silver, we are talking about $630.
    I sold 40 for $1240. Less than what a local shop was willing to sell, but more than they were willing to pay (win-win)