Home Precious Metals
Options

Has anyone flown commercial since the new body scan law?

Has anyone been through the new body scan? Can't hide those PM's anymore. I'll be traveling Dec 1st, should be interesting. I'm going to refuse the body scan. I don't want pictures taken and I don't want the radiation. The pat down should be interesting. Why can't we do security like other countries, PROFILE. The TSA may be unionized soon.

Is it against airline security to carry a 100 oz silver bar on the plane? image

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it against airline security to carry a 100 oz silver bar on the plane? image >>

Dependents on where you pack it. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I flew from Detroit to LA on Monday. I had had a scan AND a pat down. No big deal. Asia has been doing pat downs for years ( Korea, Japan and China).

I have zero problems with the new rules. I have flown 250,000 miles this year and I actually like the new procedures.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I like em too! Its the most excitement I have had in months!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they charge extra for the pat down and groping?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is my understanding that you receive far more radiation exposure from cosmic rays penetrating the plane while traveling than you do from the extreme low levels of x-rays used in backscatter scanners. Other scanners use radio waves and no detectable radiation exposure has been seen. Most people do not realize that they are exposed to low levels of radiation every moment they are alive because of radioactive decay from the earth and many, when they find this out, kind of freak out at the realization.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is my understanding that you receive far more radiation exposure from cosmic rays penetrating the plane while traveling than you do from the extreme low levels of x-rays used in backscatter scanners. Other scanners use radio waves and no detectable radiation exposure has been seen. Most people do not realize that they are exposed to low levels of radiation every moment they are alive because of radioactive decay from the earth and many, when they find this out, kind of freak out at the realization. >>

The above statements are correct. Folks, like me, who work around sources of ionizing radiation (i.e. x-ray machines) are allowed 5 rems of exposure per year, not counting what we get from the sun, the ground, computer screens, light bulbs, etc. The backscatter scanners that are used at the airport give you a minute fraction of the allowed dose/yr.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have now had men and women in space, where the radiation exposure is greater than on Earth, for half a century. Has anybody ever done a survey of former cosmonauts and astronauts to see if there is any greated occurence of cancer in them?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>We have now had men and women in space, where the radiation exposure is greater than on Earth, for half a century. Has anybody ever done a survey of former cosmonauts and astronauts to see if there is any greated occurence of cancer in them?
    TD >>

Aldrin looks in pretty good shape (and the others too - but I don't know them)! From Skyman thread on US Coin Forum.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>We have now had men and women in space, where the radiation exposure is greater than on Earth, for half a century. Has anybody ever done a survey of former cosmonauts and astronauts to see if there is any greated occurence of cancer in them?
    TD >>

Aldrin looks in pretty good shape (and the others too - but I don't know them)! From Skyman thread on US Coin Forum.

image >>

Your right! they all seem to have a healthful GLOW about them!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Went thru it at Baltimore on the way back from the show. No big deal to me. Oddly enough, after the x-ray, TSA ppl referred to me as "tripod" in hushed tones.

I'm somewhat curios about the exposure that flight crews will be getting...and why the hell are pilots even subjected to that level of security? If a pilot wants to bring a plane down, well, not much is gonna stop him. Heck, I could get behind military trained pilots carring guns.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i cant wait to fly. its been a while sinse i got checked out like that image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

BTW, I agree about the pilots and copilots SHOULD be armed.
  • Options
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin (17 January 1706 – 17 April 1790) was an American inventor, journalist, printer, diplomat, and statesman.
  • Options

<< <i>"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    >>

<< <i>The TSA is out of control >>

Oh, I agree. The TSA is a ridiculous exercise. I have it good authority that they fail miserably in system testing - constantly. That's why you don't hear of it in the msm.

I can think of half a dozen ways to spirit weapons onto a plane without them batting an eyelash.

The only positive thing going for them over me supporting immediate privatization of airport security is their access to govt databases.
  • Options

"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it"
    ATLAS SHRUGGED - Ayn Rand
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the ladies appreciate the new scans or guys with short....ugh....

I heard the people at the scan area were patting down children as well. Pediophiles at work....

The guys who came up with this system are perverts.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin (17 January 1706 – 17 April 1790) was an American inventor, journalist, printer, diplomat, and statesman. >>

When Ben Franklin made that wonderful statement, there was no Al Qaeda or religious fanatics ready to take your freedom away from you.

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Benjamin Franklin (17 January 1706 – 17 April 1790) was an American inventor, journalist, printer, diplomat, and statesman. >>

When Ben Franklin made that wonderful statement, there was no Al Qaeda or religious fanatics ready to take your freedom away from you.

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." >>

we didn't have airplanes either
  • Options

<< <i>

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." >>

Just to give you an idea of how utterly useless the TSA is they haven't been credited with preventing a single mishap. In each case when a terrorist has been stopped from compromising an aircraft, it's been the passengers that stopped the terrorist.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We have now had men and women in space, where the radiation exposure is greater than on Earth, for half a century. Has anybody ever done a survey of former cosmonauts and astronauts to see if there is any greated occurence of cancer in them? TD >>

We also have a nuclear power industry where workers get radiation exposure similar to background radiation, i.e., an average nuclear technician might recieve twice normal background radiation in a year.

Pilots and flight attendants recieve even more from their frequent flying.

Studies have not found higher incidence of cancer in these workgroups.

--jerry
  • Options

<< <i> Is it against airline security to carry a 100 oz silver bar on the plane? image >>

Yes it is. They characterize heavy metal objects as "multiple purpose items" or somthing like that. I was traveling home from a vendor visit where I picked up a sample of armor plate. It was close to 12" square and weighed close to 40 lbs. I put it in my carryon and when asked what it was I said "armor plate". They explained that although they didn't suspect me of anything nefarious, a heavy object like this would have to be checked. They took me back to the baggage area and got me head of the line privaleges. We put it in about 5 layers of the heavy plastic bags they provide and it made it. I doubt you'd want to do that with 100 oz silver bars. I'd put them in my checked baggage or ship them seperately.

--Jerry
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We also have a nuclear power industry where workers get radiation exposure similar to background radiation, i.e., an average nuclear technician might recieve twice normal background radiation in a year. Pilots and flight attendants recieve even more from their frequent flying. Studies have not found higher incidence of cancer in these workgroups.

Even if there were detectable additional cancers from these groups, they are massively overshadowed by other health risks that we've added on over the past 40 years:

poor diet (excess trans & saturated fats, lack of fiber, deficiencies in many key vitamins and minerals, sugar, overly processed grains, corn fed chickens and cows, etc.)
    chemical exposure each day (pesticides & preservatives in food, cleaners, water (chlorine, flourine), air, solvents, prescription meds, illegal drugs and meds, etc.)
    electromagnetic radition from various sources
    smoking - lack of exercise - obesity - sun avoidance - sleep irregularities

One could hardly be expected to pull out the risks from small doses of ionizing radiation when our bodies are constantly attacked from other sources.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

Who EXACTLY are these terrorists? I am starting to wonder who they are.

Fox News: Geraldo Rivera on 911
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When Ben Franklin made that wonderful statement, there was no Al Qaeda or religious fanatics ready to take your freedom awa >>

OPA, you're kidding - right? Ever hear of King George III and his army of red-coats?
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>When Ben Franklin made that wonderful statement, there was no Al Qaeda or religious fanatics ready to take your freedom awa >>

OPA, you're kidding - right? Ever hear of King George III and his army of red-coats? >>

If history serves me correctly ... we were the rebels and terrorists. King George was only trying to protect what was his and ended up loosing. I don't believe King George had any suicide bombers working for him, or did he? Or stage coach passengers trying to blow up their underwear.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

OPA, you're kidding - right? Ever hear of King George III and his army of red-coats? >>

If history serves me correctly ... we were the rebels and terrorists. King George was only trying to protect what was his and ended up loosing. I don't believe King George had any suicide bombers working for him, or did he? Or stage coach passengers trying to blow up their underwear. >>

Who are the terrorists Opa? Are they turban wearing Muslims?
  • Options

<< <i>When Ben Franklin made that wonderful statement, there was no Al Qaeda or religious fanatics ready to take your freedom away from you. >>

So in order to keep Al Qaeda or religious fanatics from taking our freedom away, our own government is taking our freedom away? Is that anything like "It became necessary to destroy the town to save it"?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If history serves me correctly ... we were the rebels and terrorists. King George was only trying to protect what was his and ended up loosing. I don't believe King George had any suicide bombers working for him, or did he? Or stage coach passengers trying to blow up their underwear. >>

Who are the terrorists Opa? Are they turban wearing Muslims? >>

Good grief man, have you never heard of 9/11? Are you not from this planet? Or do you believe that the attacks come from within? I've lost good friends at the Pentagon that day & I know who the terrorists are and if a full scan will prevent, even an attempt, so be it, I'm all for it. It's not depriving any of my freedoms, but makes me question, why you are so against it?
  • Options

<< <i>It's not depriving any of my freedoms... >>

Actually, the right to be free of warrantless searches are among the specified rights the guys who founded this country insisted on when they wrote the Constitution.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

You may not feel you're not being deprived of any rights, but it's pretty clear that opinion is not universal.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Who are the terrorists Opa? Are they turban wearing Muslims? >>

Good grief man, have you never heard of 9/11? Are you not from this planet? Or do you believe that the attacks come from within? I've lost good friends at the Pentagon that day & I know who the terrorists are and if a full scan will prevent, even an attempt, so be it, I'm all for it. It's not depriving any of my freedoms, but makes me question, why you are so against it? >>

I don't know who they are Opa, but maybe have a look at this: Fox News: Geraldo Rivera on 911

But, I'll tell you one thing, as a veteran I am not giving up my freedoms for ANYTHING, and I sure as hell am not giving them up so a bunch of bankers and politicians can get richer and richer robbing us blind.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    FREE WILLIE!!!
  • Options
    I will fly over a 125 segments this year. I personally want to know that EVERY person on the plane has been fully searched. I'll pee in a cup while humming a Lady Gaga tune if it makes my flight even a little safer..........I'm pretty big on personal freedom and I have zero qualms about this. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I think we should fly completely nude.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>I think we should fly completely nude. >>

And drugged and shackled (sounds a little kinky but it mite liven up the flite, tho).

BTW, the latest from the TSA is that they're thinking of banning Wi-Fi on aircraft.

No internet access for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it against airline security to carry a 100 oz silver bar on the plane? image >>

Depends on where you pack it. image >>

This will give a new meaning to "junk" silver.....................MJ
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you remember being in a class or on a sports team where discipline was handled by threatening the entire group with punishment if someone didn't come clean for an infraction?

I think we should profile the hell out of any suspected group that is involved with terrorism.

And then, THEY should be made to fly nude.

It might cut down on alot of the associated problems in our country as well.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

This will give a new meaning to "junk" silver.....................MJ >>

INGOT WE TRUST!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

This will give a new meaning to "junk" silver.....................MJ >>

INGOT WE TRUST!!!!!

image >>

i was waiting for someone to say it!image
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Yep, no big deal. Would you rather be on a plane with a terrorist with explosives in his underwear?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When Ben Franklin made that wonderful statement, there was no Al Qaeda or religious fanatics ready to take your freedom away from you. >>

So in order to keep Al Qaeda or religious fanatics from taking our freedom away, our own government is taking our freedom away? Is that anything like "It became necessary to destroy the town to save it"? >>

Colleen LaRose, the Pennsylvania woman who has been arrested for allegedly plotting with Islamic radicals
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    BTW, My sister used to play on a traveling pool team (Yes, I know, never heard of it before or since) and they all carried their pool cues on the plane...different time. -Jerry
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, no big deal. Would you rather be on a plane with a terrorist with explosives in his underwear? >>

The TSA is NOT making us safer, Frank.
    It's nothing more than the government exerting its overbearing muscle on the sheeple.
    They've gone way too far.....4th amendment rights are being compromised here.
    The Rapidscan machine is a Rube Goldberg concoction from former HSA chief Michael Chertoff.
    They would not have stopped the Christmas bomber.
    The "enhanced pat down" is the new "GateRape!"
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Should I ask them how my new knee looks or just smile when they pat me down?
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Pathetic
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who are the terrorists Opa? Are they turban wearing Muslims? >>

>>

I'd like to see you ask Joy Behar and Whoopie Goldberg that question.
  • Options

<< <i>They've gone way too far.....4th amendment rights are being compromised here. >>

They sure seem to be. I don't recall seeing any "except if you're planning on flying on an airplane" exception to the prohibition on warrantless searches in the 4th.

I think it's more than clear that anymore, it's considered acceptable to advocate for ignoring the law if doing so will make you feel safer.