Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which coins have you been procrastinating buying?

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
I have a few I want but always find a 17th or 18th century coin I would rather buy.
My list includes:

1909 S VDB
1955 Double die
1972 Double Die

3 legger Buffalo nickel

1893S Morgan dollar

Whats on your list?
AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    1894-s Dime. I dont know how much longer I can hold out.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing I want is for sale
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nothing I want is for sale >>

I guess nothing I REALLY want is for sale image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    A decent toned 1897 Mint State Barber Half. From the way the dealers act you'd think I was asking for the impossible.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    1909 S VBD
    1916 D Dime
    1932 D Quarter
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1916 SLQ in AU58FH.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Mine would be a pattern coin (just about any pattern). image

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1925-D Buffalo Nickel ms-64 with nice eye appeal... If I could just find one!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat as numobri. I would love me a pattern coin, no matter how common.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    Proof from the 1830s
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1909 S VDB
    1955 Double die
    1972 Double Die >>

Those are 3 all time greats image
    Ed
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Probably a Trade Dollar for my type set.......I dont want dreck and cannot afford anything but :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Chain cent
    Confederate 50c
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matte proof 1909 S VDB cent
    Larry

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to upgrade my 1914 D Lincoln.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An 1848 Cal Quarter eagle.
    Rather affordable, once upon a time.........
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS 1921 Peace dollar with a better than average strike.
    1950 Proof Franklin to complete my album set.
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    For me it would be a 1872 two cent business strike MS 64 RB.
    Not that I have seen any I wanted but I have not been looking.
    It yoyo's on my priority list and right now its a ways down the list.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1839 No Drapery 50¢ what I want and what I want to pay can not seem to come into line with each other.

Edit: Well I went ahead and got it in PCGS EF45 so now have to think of something else to think about for awhile.
    Jerry does have a nice Reeded Edge Half dollar listed now.
  • Options
    1916 D Merc

3 Leg Buff

Every time I am ready to buy I can't find the right coin and end up buying something else.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chain cent. Should probably pick one up.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1815 half- always around, just never have found one with the right look

1804 quarter- the price of these has gone up so much that unless I find a perfect VG I am not even going to consider buying one
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    1823 Quarter, 1794 Dollar, and/or 1802 Half-Dime
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1823 Quarter, 1794 Dollar, and/or 1802 Half-Dime >>

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Small eagle bust half - well procrastinating might not be the right word but I do want one image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely the 1815 half. They are out there but other purchases keep getting in the way.

Tom

• Options
    An Antietam with great color, only because I can't find one.image Seriously some gold types, maybe Friday in Baltimore.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    All of them.
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for one o' them Langbord '33's to come up...

Should be pretty cheap, now... well, that is, IF they win... image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been procrastinating, it's just I haven't found anything acceptable for the grade & price:

1) Heraldic Eagle Bust $ in AU 50- AU 58 (many slabbed coins are problem coins which are net graded)
    2) Classic Large Cent in MS 63 or Ms 64 BN (not many around, and those that are often have issues re porosity of the copper)
    3) Capped Bust Half in MS 65 (lots of problem coins in slabs, imo)
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money has been Procrastinating finding it's way into my wallet so that I can go buy new toys.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not procrastinate. Opportunities procrastinate.
  • Options
    The 1909-S-VDB; I should get it as a point of honor, along with the rest of the vacant spots in my oldest collection, the Lincoln cents. There's also a lot of vacancies in an old Jefferson nickel folder that I keep for sentimental reasons as well.

I'm not exactly procrastinating on the 1911-D quarter eagle so much as balking at the idea of trading away some $5000 worth of the rest of my collection to be able to afford the thing.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    Addition to the list: 2009 UHR. Should have bought one when they came out. Now for the price, classic coinage appeals to me much more.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS MS70 Pillar Dollar

that WOULD be pretty, wouldnt it??
  • Options
    1875p Trade dollar
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nothing I want is for sale >>

Same here ... image

At least not the coins that are on my A LIST.

What's on my A List? A "no problem" 1796 No Stars quarter eagle in "no question" AU, and a $50 Pan-Pac octagonal $50 gold in very Choice MS-63 or 64.

Maybe I'll get lucky at the FUN show. If not, then it will be "B list" time.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>An 1848 Cal Quarter eagle.
    Rather affordable, once upon a time......... >>

Yea, that one is on my "B List." Time was you could get a decent AU or $50k or less, but now those coins are in MS-62 holders and bring a lot more. There is one in VG-10 at the Heritage Platinum night sale, but I collect gold in AU to MS-64.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    I also regret not grabbing a 2009 UHR when they came out. Not into moderns as a rule but its just a rule.
  • Options
    I have a 2009 UHR, but it has die polish. I wish I'd won the mint lottery and gotten one with the smooth. P-L fields.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I would also love a Cal gold piece, but until Dan Carr makes one, I'll be out of luck on that.

I actually have been procrastinating finishing off my $50 proof plat eagle series, only because the price of platinum is too high. I may or may not ever complete this.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Here is an 1848 CAL gold coin for you!

This has to be poorest known. I borrowed it from a dealer many years ago who let me photograph it. Back then I was shooting slides so that's why the picture is odd. It's a close-up of a slide. The coin is well worn, has the hole, and the obverse is a love token.

The dealer wanted $1,200 back then, nearing 20 years ago, which was way too much for me, given the grade. Given the condition this seemed more like a "relic" than a coin. At least the gold had come from a neat place. image

• Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

A clean $10.00 indian eagle.Many dealers have what they call bu but I need to see it in hand.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two...

1876-CC twenty-cent piece
    1817/4 Capped Bust half dollar

I would be procrastinate if I only had the funds! image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Actually I've seen an 1876-CC Twenty Cent piece offered at a bourse. There was one for sale at last year's FUN show. The price was something like $650,000, and I think it was an MS-63 or something like that. It was certified by NGC and it got the "Bill Jones" certification because it had the doubled "LIBERTY."
  • Options
    Bill Jones certification? Is that a new company you're starting like CAC? I would like to invest! image
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Just a nice looking Randel hoard cent in RB. I could of bought one ten differenti times at least but non ever had the look I wanted.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any year/grade Saint Gaudens.
    1916 SLQ (any grade!)
    1885 Liberty nickel PCGS AU58
    1886 Liberty nickel PCGS AU58
    1912-S Liberty nickel PCGS AU58

The last three, I actually plan on buying when/if I find them and actually have the funds to buy them. The others, I doubt I will ever get realistically.

I would like to find a nice, smooth brown AU-ish 1909-s VDB for my dad. I'd buy it and give it to him because that's his dream coin and he never has been able to really afford one.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A decent toned 1897 Mint State Barber Half. From the way the dealers act you'd think I was asking for the impossible. >>

I bet Glenn Holsonbake could help you acquire one! image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1955/1955 Lincoln
    1918/7-D Buffalo
    1942/1-D Mercury
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file