Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2011 Topps Heritage Thread: no sticker autos in THIS product!

Comments

• Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Does it count when I say I don't like your team, Geordie?
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    The heritage news of the day:

1) I just took 4 crappy boxes out of circulation for you all.
    2) It took B&B 24 cases to hit a Koufax, I think that is
    more money than Sandy made with the Dodgers.
    3) Its official, the chrome set has none of the big name
    in it. Thanks topps.
    4) Craig is going to hit a red Sandy in his second box

That's all.
    Waalt
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's your mail man Doran? It's killing me to know what's in those 2 cases. image
  • Options
    Not as much as it's killing me Stoney! Not to mention it costs me more money every minute that goes by because I can't quit buying stuff on ebay........here are my two newest pick-ups.

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Nice Doran. I saw that Gibson earlier and though about grabbing it. But like you said I hope I pull one from one of my boxes.
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pick ups. Are you going to do the green refractors, if not I call dibs if they aren't spoken for.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not as much as it's killing me Stoney! Not to mention it costs me more money every minute that goes by because I can't quit buying stuff on ebay........here are my two newest pick-ups.

image >>

How much did that Robinson set you back? I pulled a Robinson relic like that, except for it was the card where he was a little kid. Didn't really know what it was.
  • Options
    I won't be doing the green refractors, actually I never do any of the shiny cards.
  • Options
    Which Craig? Hopefully the one from Texas! It is funny that you said second box because I got a card that in my opinion trumps the red auto of Banks that Chris got in my second box. I'm t work right now so I will scan it tonight and let the board decide.

Craig from Texas

<< <i>The heritage news of the day:

1) I just took 4 crappy boxes out of circulation for you all.
    2) It took B&B 24 cases to hit a Koufax, I think that is
    more money than Sandy made with the Dodgers.
    3) Its official, the chrome set has none of the big name
    in it. Thanks topps.
    4) Craig is going to hit a red Sandy in his second box

That's all.
    Waalt >>

• Options
    Craig, you may be banned from the board if you tease like that. image On a side note, if it is a Cardinals related card I expect it to be in the mail to me tomorrow.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    As for Craig's card beating the red Banks, I concur.
  • Options
    Still no mail, but the wife just called and said she is on the way home with 4 blasters, 8 racks, and a bunch of regular packs.....it may only be retail, but it beats not ripping anything while I sit here watching the Cardinals spring training game.
  • Options
    Ok. Ok. No more teasing. However the picture will have to wait until tonight....

2011 Topps Heritage Brooks Robinson Auto/relic numbered 04/25. This is the one that is 1 in 19,000 hobby packs.

Chris and I were discussing if this would be more valuable than his Banks. We both think so. The card looks to be in mint condition. The scan will come tonight.

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    what's with the green chromes this year??? i just got 6 hobby boxes and 1 of the boxes had a green chrome in every pack (24 total). i'm not diggin em.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still no mail, but the wife just called and said she is on the way home with 4 blasters, 8 racks, and a bunch of regular packs.....it may only be retail, but it beats not ripping anything while I sit here watching the Cardinals spring training game. >>

Your wife rocks !
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

<< <i>Ok. Ok. No more teasing. However the picture will have to wait until tonight....

2011 Topps Heritage Brooks Robinson Auto/relic numbered 04/25. This is the one that is 1 in 19,000 hobby packs.

Chris and I were discussing if this would be more valuable than his Banks. We both think so. The card looks to be in mint condition. The scan will come tonight.

Craig from Texas >>

Very Nice! I pulled a auto'd relic of Brooks from either 2006 or 2007 Heritage also numbered to 25 I believe.

Btw, I'm jonesing for rippage here.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the warm welcome, guys!

I have to say that I'm not that much of a Heritage collector, per se. I collect of cards of my grandfather, Dave Nicholson.
    He has stamped buybacks in the last 2 years of Heritage, and will if they continue to make the product the next few years.

So if that counts, then I love Heritage!! lol Here are mine from last year's set. Hope to find more this year!

imageimageimage

Btw - nice buys on the Gibson & Jackie, and nice hit on the Brooks!!
  • Options
    I bought 2 more boxes today so I'll have something to do tonight

funny how I got them cheaper from a different store than the store I spend thousands upon thousands at
  • Options
    That's great Chas and welcome to the boards. I'll have to check my buybacks from last year for you. Think I have a decent stack of them at home

• Options
    Welcome ChasHawk........I'll keep an eye out for any Dave Nicholsons. Didn't he hold the strikeout record at one time?
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    8 racks down
    4 Short Prints
    1 Chrome
    1 NAP
    1 T&N
    2 NF
    1 BF
    1 Chrome
    Miguel Cabrera green tint
  • Options
    Thanks zep, I appreciate it!

He did briefly Magellan, with 175 Ks in 1963. Has been broken over and over again since. image

He was also in the Guiness Book for one year for longest homerun in history, before some researchers "estimated" a Mantle HR that "went" farther.
    I guess they didn't want a no-name to hold that record...lol

Off-topic, but can someone explain the author icon deal to me?
  • Options
    The profile picture? If you go to your profile, you can add a pic that is already posted on CU. You can only upload new pics on the 15th of each month however. I believe that's it in a nutshell, someone will correct me if I have any of it wrong.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what's with the green chromes this year??? i just got 6 hobby boxes and 1 of the boxes had a green chrome in every pack (24 total). i'm not diggin em. >>

I just stopped by another hobby store and got to pick a box out of his case. I got one of these boxes too, every pack had a green chrome card with none #ed higher than 99

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    The green borders are kind of fitting for today.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    33 retail packs
    13 Short Prints
    1 Chrome
    1 Refractor
    1 NAP
    2 T&N
    2 NF
    4 BF
  • Options
    Well now I'm pissed, the USPS site said today was delivery day.....mailman has come and gone....no cases. Wasted a day waiting around on them.
  • Options
    4 Blasters
    12 Short Prints
    1 Chrome
    1 Refractor
    3 NAP
    0 T&N
    1 NF
    4 BF
    Felix Hernandez relic
    Alex Rios/ Victor Martinez stamp
  • Options
    SP's seem to be an easier pull in the retail packs you've been opening Doran.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Welcome ChasHawk. Does your grandfather sign TTM?
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options

<< <i>Well now I'm pissed, the USPS site said today was delivery day.....mailman has come and gone....no cases. Wasted a day waiting around on them. >>

Man, that sucks - did it say Out For Delivery?
  • Options
    No it didn't Mike, it just said today was expected delivery date and normally it is accurate.....figures the time I really want it to be it isn't. image
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    !) heritage release day should be a national holiday.
    2) Either Im really unlucky or I can't tell the green tints. I have found only one in 14+ boxes.
    3) This thread needs more scans!

W
  • Options

<< <i>what's with the green chromes this year??? i just got 6 hobby boxes and 1 of the boxes had a green chrome in every pack (24 total). i'm not diggin em. >>

I dont think you are going to have a problem moving the green tints.
  • Options

<< <i>!) heritage release day should be a national holiday.
    2) Either Im really unlucky or I can't tell the green tints. I have found only one in 14+ boxes.
    3) This thread needs more scans!

W >>

Yes to all 3 well maybe not #2
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I have issues with color blindness, but some of these cards look like they were made to be viewed with 3D glasses. The red and green seem to be a bit off.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>I have issues with color blindness, but some of these cards look like they were made to be viewed with 3D glasses. The red and green seem to be a bit off. >>

This should be interesting for me. I bough a pair of brown pants one time and by the time I got them home there were green.....
  • Options

<< <i>The green borders are kind of fitting for today. >>

haha
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome ChasHawk. Does your grandfather sign TTM? >>

yessir. he gets requests pretty much every week. For those interested:

Dave Nicholson
    15316 Lake Point Rd
    Benton, IL 62812

As far as the color being off on some of the cards, I think topps tried a little too hard to recreate some of the off-register cards from the original set.

I think the green chromes will be popular at first, but I can see that dying off quickly, and people not wanting to pull that box.

The green "tint" base cards are the SPs, and should hold their value as they are only 1-2 per case I believe.
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    So the Green Tint cards should not be considered part of the Master Set, right....
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Serious question guys...was this years Heritage worth it?
    I'm talking comparable to previous years?

I've really done my best to hold off on pre ordering a case and even ignored going to the hobby shop to pick up boxes even after reading the thread here.

I'll look to the masses to see if it's a good one, will the master set be worthwhile this year?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    not being a "serious" Heritage collector, I'm not sure about this years set.

it does seem weird and kinda lame to me that the whole set is not paralleled as a chrome version
    and I believe someone said that the stars were left out of the chrome set as well.

as far as box/case prices, there's nothing else to buy, and until there is prices will be higher than they should.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I wouldn't consider the master set complete without the green tints. They'll be more expensive, but not as bad as the SSPs have been in past years. True collectors of the original '62 set will almost always tell you that the set isn't complete without the green tints.

This year's chrome set definitely has a pretty disappointing checklist. Last year's chrome set is the lone recent example of having a good checklist. The few years before that had lackluster checklists as well. Last year it seemed Topps was listening to its collecting base - the checklist was strong. Unfortunately, this year they reverted to form. And Chaz, Heritage chrome has never completely paralleled the base set. If they did, I think they'd have to do a completely separate release, just like the yearly Topps Chrome set.
  • Options
    Can someone please point me in the direction of the complete SP/Variation checklist. Is it just 425-500? Variations other than tint?

I didn't see it in previous 20+ pages and google is giving me nada. Your help is appreciated.
  • Options
    Box 6 overall best yet but still no ink

2 box toppers and the panel was under the first row of packs so technically only 1 was a boxtopperimage

Ichiro jersey
    Frank Thomas w/ quarter
    3 chrome including Longoria and World Series game 5
    1 Jackie Robinson Special variation
    1 New Age
    2 Then & Now
    2 BB FB
    2 News FB

• Options
    That's a very nice box Mike!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone please point me in the direction of the complete SP/Variation checklist. I didn't see it in previous 20+ pages and google is giving me nada. Your help is appreciated. >>

I posted this back on page 10 - I updated it a little, but not a lot.

This may be old news to some, but I thought I'd type up a comparison between the sets.

first, keep in mind that in the original 1962 set, cards 110-196 were all available with a green tint variation, which it looks like Topps copied - but not only green, but in blue (exclusive to Wal-Mart) and red (exclusive to Target). It looks like the greens are falling one per case, which means they're pretty darn short printed, but not as bad as the SSSSSSSSPs in recent years. In addition, some of the players in that number range had pose variations, one a regular card and the other green tinted.

At this point, until there is a ton of product broken, some of the following is pure speculation.

1962 was a checklist with two different sets of numbers on the back
    2011 is the San Diego Padres team card. Have a look at the back to see if there's any funny business going on. However, the checklists were printed separately again, which brings to mind 2005(?), which had variations of every checklist.

1962 was Lee Walls - he can be found looking both right and left. His looking left pose was also a green tint.
    2011 is Carlos Quentin - if it exists, look for a looking left pose variation with a green tint
    edit: on the green tint that's up, I don't see any kind of pose variation at all. Perhaps one still exists?

1962 was the Angels team card - one variation had two floating heads inset in the photo
    2011 is, guess what, the Angels team card. Hmm
    edit: confirmed as a simple green tint - lame, in my opinion. It would have been nice to have the two floating heads.

1962 was Billy Hoeft, who had two poses. These poses weren't very distinct, but the regular one had a very distinct blue sky, while the green tint had... a green sky.
    2011 is Brett Cecil - the one on eBay has has a VERY distinct blue sky. Hmm, guess we should be looking for a green sky, huh?
    edit: Cecil's green tint is a full frontal portrait, as opposed to the base card's somewhat side-view portrait

1962 had four total variations: two poses of Hal Reniff (pitching & portrait - one a green tint) and two poses of Ruth (one a green tint). For the record, Reniff is also #159. Fun, huh?
    2011 has a Joba, a Ruth, a Jackie, and probably another Joba with a pose variation. And of course #159 is Joba.

1962 was Bill Kunkel, who had a portrait and green tint pitching variation
    2011 is Joakim Soria - the one on eBay is a portrait - if it exits, look for the matching green tint pitching variation
    edit: there is a confirmed pitching pose variation here, as evidenced by a completed red tint auction.

1962 was Carl Willey, who could be found with and without a cap (yay, another green tint pose variation!)
    2011 is Jon Garland - the one on eBay doesn't have a hat - if it exists, the variation should be a green tint "with hat"
    edit: Garland's tint variation is cropped slightly different. On the base card, none of the Dodgers script on the front of the jersey is visible. In the green tint, some of it is.

1962 was Eddie Yost, who had a batting and portrait variation (one a green tint)
    2011 is Chase Headley. The one on eBay shows him holding a bat - if it exists, the variation should be a green tint portrait
    edit: the tint variations still show him with bat on shoulder, but at a different angle, more of a side view

1962 was Lee Walls, who had a portrait and a green tint batting pose
    2011 is a shaggy-ass Todd Helton. The one on eBay is the portrait, which means a batting green tint might be out there.
    edit: confirmed frontal bat on shoulder variation

1962 was another checklist card. There was a very subtle difference here. One said, "checklist, 3" and the other said, "checklist 3" (no comma)
    2011 is the Marlins team card. Look for another subtle difference, I'd guess
    edit: #192 is the Marlins team card - like the #132 Angels team card, it has a simple green tint parallel

1962 was Bob Buhl, who could be found with and without an "M" on his cap
    2011 is SPed Ian Kennedy - look for a hat missing the Diamondbacks' "D"

1962 was Willie Tasby, who again could be found with and without a "W" on his cap
    2011 is SPed Magglie Ordonez - look for the same thing

edit: SPs are 426-500

• Options
    TNP777 - I saw your post, but you said it was speculation so I was looking for clarity. Looks like most of it is still speculation?

In previous years I think there was already confirmation from topps on the sp and variations 4 days in.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 image