Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally! A Panama Pacific $2.50 that I like!

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
I’ve been looking for this coin since January. There was either nothing I liked at the shows, or I saw one I liked at an auction, going by the picture, that I did not win. Of course I should have known better than to go by the pictures since I got burned once, but as Dr. Sheldon wrote in Penny Whimsey, “some times the bug bites HARD.”

Well here it is thick satin luster and all! These coins were made from oddly prepared dies. The dies did not have a true brilliant finish, but instead had a myriad of fine lines in the fields that give the coin a decided different look. This one is a PCGS MS-66, and it easily makes the grade.

And oh yes, the creature with the head of a horse and the tail of a dragon is called a hippocampus. It is symbolic of moving goods through the Panama Canal.

imageimage
Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wooo hoooo!!!! imageimageimage

oh man that is sweet piece of small gold Bill!! Congrat's on finding one you really wanted!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great piece.......I've always thought that the reverse design was especially cool....like an 'e pluribus unum' street sign.....
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Pretty special baby. Congratulations.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the hippocampus is also part of the human brain
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice piece, and an excellent explanation of the die prep involved on this piece. What exactly is the border on the obverse? Is that a pattern or a granulation?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice!image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice piece, and an excellent explanation of the die prep involved on this piece. What exactly is the border on the obverse? Is that a pattern or a granulation? >>

I think what you see is the edge of the gasket that PCGS puts in the holder to hold the coin in place and up right. The edge on this coin is nothing fancy. In the ANA – Heritage sale, there was one of these in an ancient PCGS large holder in which the coin had rotated something like 120 degrees.

From the pictures I really liked the coin, but I hesitated to bid on it because it was rotated in the holder. It didn’t matter someone bid it up in the MS-65 holder to strong MS-66 money.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Gorgeous image

fwiw: image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Congrat's on your purchase Bill. image
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Bill, I've seen you mention this piece several times in various threads and how you were after one. IMHO one of the most artistic and superb designs of any US regular issues or pattern coinage, right up there with the Amazonian patterns. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to why this coin with such a high pop in 65 and above, commands such strong prices, I'd be interested in your opinion.

John
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess at it, mintage of 6,749, 4.8 rarity in 65 and above.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The design concept originated with the PPIE medal committee in 1914. Barber made a rough sketch for them, but then it took until spring 1915 for more to happen. (See "Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915" for details.)

PS: The hubs were cut by mechanical reduction.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great piece, some day I'll own one.
    May have to settle for an AU, as a 3 is in the $4500 range.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a dream coin for a lot of us! I remember staring at that one and her big sisters back when I got my first Red Book at age 10. Congrats!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Way To Go!

yessir, I seriously began looking at these as I was wrapping up my 12-piece type set. I got me a nice little MS64, $1 Pan-Pac. The $2.5 is outta site.

So far I've been able to distract myself enough from getting too serious about the $2.5 by adhering to my early Walker upgrade regimen.

There's a nice $2.5 offered by an outfit in Houston, but the money they want is about what two of my next, planned Walker upgrades will be. The Walkers take precedence.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Bill!!

Does this particular coin series get mistaken for AU a lot?
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Wow Bill, that truly is a special piece. Congrats!
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the brain is cross sectioned through the hippocampus it resembles a tiny seahorse.
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking coin. Does anyone else think the eagle looks pissed, like it wants to kick someone's butt? image If the eagle on the Peace Dollar is suppose to represent peace, the eagle on this coin could be used by the Mint on a future War Dollar to represent War.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful gold coin Bill... Congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it when threads many years old like this one get bumped out of the blue and then the replies carry on like it was just started yesterday.....

Bill, do you still own this beauty?

• Options
    Yes, I still have it. As a collector I often hold on to coins for a long time. I still have a couple coins I bought when I was in high school back in the mid 1960s.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunner! Absolute stunner!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ya got a nice gold commem there. i like
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Beautiful. How amazing it must be to be able to own and enjoy such a magnificent coin.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file