Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are these Frankies AT?

Does anyone think this toning is questionable? I know it's not mint set toning.

Comments

• Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    Nope! Nice shades of blue! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may not be AT, but AT can produce their twins. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    I have had mint set toners that looked like that image
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had mint set toners that looked like that image >>

From what I can tell of the pics, image

I have seen the mid 50's (54 to 58 I recall) show up in blue and purple.
  • Options
    The reason I know these are not mint set toners is they have the type 2 reverse. The '58 mint sets only contained type 1s.
  • Options
    I would then say envelope toning or they where put into mints. Some type of paper contact caused it as it has that signature look.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope! Nice shades of blue! image >>

I know that blue toning on cents is supposed to be bad, but I was not aware that it was problem for silver. I've seen a lot of blue toning on silver coins that was perfectly natural. I'd say the two coins that are shown are probably natural, but like others have said, you can see coins like that that have had help from a bottle too.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could go either way on those two. The blue is perfectly normal for a '58, but it almost appears as a wash... it doesn't have much definition if you will. The brightness of the purple on the reverse of the first one is also somewhat more vibrant than would be expected (and given the certification #'s that makes me leery of the 2nd reverse), but that may be a function of the statistical bell curve if you will.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Future fodder for the "sniffer"
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    What is AT?
    Some sort of toning type?

thanks
    mc
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>The reason I know these are not mint set toners is they have the type 2 reverse. The '58 mint sets only contained type 1s. >>

Hoo Haahhh ! you 'da man image
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, there was a doctor in the house.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    i was suspicious when I first eyed them on T.T -

now that you basically proved they are not orig. mint set coins ..........

I'm going to part with the consensus and say thumbs down
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is AT?

thanks
    mc >>

AT = Artifical Toning

NT = Natural Toning

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Bill on this. I'm okay with blue toning on silver. However, I am NOT okay with purple.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is AT?

thanks
    mc >>

AT = Artifical Toning

NT = Natural Toning

HH >>

Thanks. I will do more searching before asking questions or hijacking the thread.
    Take care
    MC
  • Options
    They're blue
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I don't know if they're AT or not but thought they looked at least questionable.
  • Options
    lookn good
  • Options
    I can never decipher anything from crappy TT pictures...those that can I say God Bless.....
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Saw those on TT and I must say my gut reaction was AT, and I know mint set toning doesn't tone that sort of blue especially on both sides exactly the same.

.... AT!!!!
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nearly identical, predominantly blue toning? Consecutive serial numbers? I'd lean toward intentional toning.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Right off the assembly line...

Great catch and info, I did not know that about the type 1 & type 2...

Did you do this article as well...?

The strory behind Type 1 & Type 2 Franklins...

Here's one that I know came from a Mint Set, looks fairly close...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    They might be natural but I don't like the look of them.

I do not support doctoring or AT coins to any degree but, through my own simple experimentation, that color combination and pattern can be easily reproduced by boiling an egg, crushing it up, putting it in a plastic container, put a bunch of paper towels on top, put the frankie on top of the paper towels, seal lid, wait 30 minutes, open lid and it looks identical with purply blue mottled coloration. Again, I do not condone doctoring but experiment yourself to educate yourself on what to look out for. However, with this toning from the egg, you can easily wipe it off.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can you just use egg salad instead?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>can you just use egg salad instead?

image >>

Well, since egg yolks contain copious amounts of sulfur (they ARE bright yellow of course), all you would really need would be the boiled egg yolk all crushed up.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have seen those colors in after market holders

specifically the ones that are 5 coin sets - blue velvet on one side and blue shiny paper on the other - in a snap-lock case - roughly 2" x 3"

just because the colors are vibrant, 2-sided, and not typical does not make them AT

remember PCGS had the advantage of seeing coins in hand and could closely check how the colors lay on the coin

and usually my experience tells me if PCGS has any question or doubt, it gets code 91
  • Options
    ....I'm now , after seeing more of them - am going with 99% A.T
  • Options
    ........the leading dealer of , and the acknowledged most foremost expert on Franklin half dollars ..........

apparently thinks they are not A.T
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>........the leading dealer of , and the acknowledged most foremost expert on Franklin half dollars ..........

apparently thinks they are not A.T >>

Or, he thinks that they are market acceptable, or thinks that, since they are slabbed by PCGS, people will pay more than he did, particularly since he is the "acknowledged most foremost expert on Franklin half dollars" and so, by virtue of his having them, they are no considered NT and elite.

For me, IF the picture's colors are accurate, I wouldn't buy them as NT, and if I did buy them, it wouldn't be for much more than, if anything more, than greysheet for that grade.
    (those colors on them really do not do anything for me)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ...........well then you definitely wouldn't consider it @ 100 X bid
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    not with a 10 foot pole

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...........well then you definitely wouldn't consider it @ 100 X bid >>

Good Lord! Is that what he's asking for it? Assuming those pictures are accurate, that's both sad and wrong... some newbie to Franklins is gonna' get bent over.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone think this toning is questionable? I know it's not mint set toning. >>

Perhaps the better question is, why does it matter to you what some nitwits think? It's tarnish, and tarnish is natural, and you know that much. What do you think, the TPGs have a crystal ball? If it's natural tarnish, and you like it, go for it. If you like it, and you have confidence in you tastes, chances are others will like it, too, and for the same, exact reasons. Remember one thing, every coin is unique, and will take tarnish differently. What that means is, no so-called "doctor" can duplicate that exact pattern of tarnish on another coin, it's physically impossible.

There's natural tarnish on those coins, and natural luster, and they look eye-appealing for it. That should be the beginning and the end of the inquiry. Have the nerve enough to form and stand by your own opinions independent from what some crackpots, however "educated" they may in their twisted minds imagine they are, believe, and do that off the face of the coin, alone, without taking your mind's eye off it and going off into outer space looking for extrinsic evidence of intelligent design or some such thing, and you'll never, ever go wrong.

Trust me when I tell you that.

PS: Have I ever lied to you? image
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    At!!!

Have seen many of the same lookers on TT in 1958 and 1954 dates, as well with 1954 washingtons with same toning and progression.

Mint set toners do tone blue/purple, but never that smooth with no toning breaks. Even the best blue mint set toners have breaks in the toning with golden and/or orange/brownish specs.

Again, I believe they were doctored. Being more than a hand full available on TT at the same time was suspect IMO.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options

<< <i>At!!!

Have seen many of the same lookers on TT in 1958 and 1954 dates, as well with 1954 washingtons with same toning and progression.

Mint set toners do tone blue/purple, but never that smooth with no toning breaks. Even the best blue mint set toners have breaks in the toning with golden and/or orange/brownish specs.

Again, I believe they were doctored. Being more than a hand full available on TT at the same time was suspect IMO. >>

I agree 100%. I use to own a sweet 66fbl 58 that was toned in a vibrant blue purple and orange. I wish i never sold it image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...........well then you definitely wouldn't consider it @ 100 X bid >>

Good Lord! Is that what he's asking for it? Assuming those pictures are accurate, that's both sad and wrong... some newbie to Franklins is gonna' get bent over. >>

.......sad and wrong are being too kind , - I'm going with insane and obscene
  • Options
    .i saw one of these in hand - you can read my comments in the $3800.00 1958 MS65 Franklin post ..........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file