• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a link (preferably with pix)?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, but not $109k nice. Sorry.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'd rather own the entire set in MS63, with $ left over to upgrade the late dates to 65, than this one common date in uncommon condition.....but maybe that's just me.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess I'd rather own the entire set in MS63, with $ left over to upgrade the late dates to 65, than this one common date in uncommon condition.....but maybe that's just me. >>

Not just you, I think it'd be me too.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    3 thoughts...

1. OMG!!

2. Kinda throws the price guide out the window.

3. I'd be jumpin all over the place if I owned the NGC coin. The pic of the NGC coin isn't that good. I could see a couple of tics on the obverse. The eagles breast feathers don't look nearly as chiseled as the PCGS coin either.

I wonder if the bidder put one too many zeros in the bid window. YIKES!!
    Dan
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens all of the time. Two, maybe three people with unlimited funds want a particular coin, get their egos involved, and the auction house sends them a "thank you note" afterward. The best venue to sell a spectacular coin for the grade is a well-publicized auction.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Wow...... you're gonna see a lot of people pumping through MS67 walkers trying to get them to upgrade.
  • Options
    Just another example of what registry sets have done for the TPGs and the price of coins.
    I remember when an unc. coin was just plain BU.
    If you have the money, I guess they're not hurting anyone.
    I really don't know whether or not that's good for the hobby.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link.

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess I'd rather own the entire set in MS63, with $ left over to upgrade the late dates to 65, than this one common date in uncommon condition.....but maybe that's just me. >>

Not just you, I think it'd be me too. >>

I agree with you guys in general, however I wouldn't get the whole set. Instead I'd get a key date (NOT 1919-D or 1921-S) in MS65, and from assorted date/mm quite a few MS67's that looked right to me... nice strike, luster, toning etc. I guess I'm kinda' picky having this one to fall back on... image

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible. Makes a 1953-s MS66 FBL Franklin at $70,000 seem like a bargain!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Not too familiar with Walker grading, but I would have thought in lofty grade of 68 that the coin would have been fully struck up. Most especially a P mint.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    first thought re: the 1944 - The hobby is on a cliff about to fall big time.

second thought re: the 1944 - I much rather have the Duckor 1905 half in 68 for comparable money.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in attendence...............

There were audible gasps at 30k

There was major head shaking at 50k

I almost fainted at 70 K

I did fall out of my chair when it hammered at 95k sans juice.

FWIW- I was out bid by 84K..................embarrassing. I loved the Simpson 37 (the lot before)

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 2 of Duckor's halves beat out this pop 2 MS68 1944 half...........the 1904-s at $138K ("only a 67") and the 1905 in MS68 at $132K.

Short set Registry points or an upgrade to MS69 secure +? For $100K+ one shouldn't be able to find a mark on the coin with the unaided eye. A MS69 Morgan should probably not be mark free due to its size and unusual handling in large bags....but a Walker?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'd rather own the entire set in MS63, with $ left over to upgrade the late dates to 65, than this one common date in uncommon condition.....but maybe that's just me.

Walkerguy21D, I'd rather own your avatar!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Reminds me of when the forum was ablaze about this walker. A few days later I was walking through CSNS in Cincinnati and Laura called me over and asked if I wanted to see some cool coins, including the one linked right above. Not being a big walker guy I was very unimpressed for a $250k+ coin, but it did look pretty nice for the grade... lol
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The downside potential for this is huge, yet I don't see the MS68 looking at the obverse of this WLH nor the NGC example that crossed for $6.9K. Not sure if it's just a fluke for registry points or a temporary ego boost for a justifying having a small winkie and really don't care.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't say this often, but....buried....he's buried.
  • Options

<< <i>Reminds me of when the forum was ablaze about this walker. A few days later I was walking through CSNS in Cincinnati and Laura called me over and asked if I wanted to see some cool coins, including the one linked right above. Not being a big walker guy I was very unimpressed for a $250k+ coin, but it did look pretty nice for the grade... lol >>

speety, I'd sleep a whole lot better having $250K+ tied into that 1919-D then the OP WLH as it's actually a well struck example. Both of the MS68 44-P's have excessive roll stacking marks which are common for the date. In the late 80's and early 90's Swiatek was still selling original rolls of common 1940's WLH issues. The chances of more MS68 1944's are far greater then another single 19-D in 66.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Anyone check out the close up shots of the obverse? looks ms67 tops IMHO.

I will agree with the "buried" statements
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's his or her money, good for them.
    Looks like the obv. of an ASE.
    If I had that kind of cash, I would do the same, it's all relative.
    Don't have access to pops, how many total are 68? I would assume not many.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    The winner on this one is the runner up.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There had to be a couple of big ego's involved in this auction. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>There had to be a couple of big ego's involved in this auction. Cheers, RickO >>

This is 10 years salary for lots of working people around the world - not counting the Third world countries. There - most don't earn so much in his or hers lifetime.

...for a Walker image

Rok
  • Options
    It is a fact that some people have more money than they know what to do with. (Then again this could be some low-mid income Joe- collector that is really taking a S-T-R-E-T-C-H).

I imagine I am in a large minority, but I like my 68's with a full thumb even if that criteria would preclude most dates from ever attaining that grade level.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was in attendence...............

There were audible gasps at 30k

There was major head shaking at 50k

I almost fainted at 70 K

I did fall out of my chair when it hammered at 95k sans juice.

FWIW- I was out bid by 84K..................embarrassing. I loved the Simpson 37 (the lot before)

MJ >>

I was outbid by 78K. Wanted to check out what it went for, but was busy. Sorry I missed it.

Agreed on the 37 - everything correct about it except the holder.

Hokey smokes on the 44P. Frankly, I don't think that it was a strong 68, either. My opinion only. I trust the new owner is happy with it - better be!

Gerald Forsythe?
  • Options
    Personally, I can't see 109,250 for this 1944 Walker. Remember, we are dealing with SUBJECTIVE grading and one can purchase your choice of wonderful MS66 coins for just a couple of hundred bucks----toned or untoned.

With that kind of money, as Walkerguy21D eludes to, you could finish a wonderful set and "NEVER" risk your investment money---as "early" Walkers hold their values very well.

JMHO, but I could name a lot of places that I would put that kind of money---BEFORE spending it on that 1944 coin. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far as I'm concerned there is not a 1944-P half dollar in the universe that is worth $109,250. That goes for the MS-70 too, if it ever crops up.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why so many negative comments?????

The buyer liked it and THAT is what is important!!!!

If you can't say something nice why say anything image

I am happy for the new owner and hope he enjoys that very nice coin
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why so many negative comments?????

The buyer liked it and THAT is what is important!!!!

If you can't say something nice why say anything image

I am happy for the new owner and hope he enjoys that very nice coin >>

It gets back to old issue which is you can over pay for anything, no matter how rare. Perhaps there are new collectors who are multi - multi millionaires who can afford to pay $109,250 for a 1944 half dollar. Before they throw the money down, they need to know that this is abnormal.

I’ve been in the coin market for over 50 years. I’ve watched this hobby take a beating in press and from government agencies like FTC because people bought coins, and then found out that they had severely over paid for them. They got angry at the hobby and made statements that all dealers are crooks and that coins are rip-offs. I’m into consumer protection. If you know before hand what you are getting into when you pay an outrageous price, then it’s shame on you if you find out that you are buried in a coin, not shame on the hobby.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>If you know before hand what you are getting into when you pay an outrageous price, then it’s shame on you if you find out that you are buried in a coin, not shame on the hobby. >>

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am incredulous - why not just buy a late date SAE for 65 dollars and call it a day....I am not feeling the extra 108,000 dollars.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally would prefer a beautiful 'just missed it' MS67 and the difference in the bank = but that's me. At the same time, I have been guilty of overpaying for the finest - and will be guilty again.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first reaction when I looked at that coin is that it was an artist rendering and not
    a real coin! Absolutely gorgeous! Won't argue whether or not it is worthy of the grade.
    In hand I presume it is even better than those superb pictures!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I guess some folks just have more $$$ than sense.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    In the past two weeks I have paid double the previous auction prices for coins tied for finest graded. Of course my price level is about 1-2% of the price we are discussing. However the same principle holds true almost regardless of the price. In my case I really wanted a well struck high grade 1771 GB Halfpenny, normal auction price is $300-450 for a 63/64, I paid $800 plus the juice for the only graded 66 RB. Some people think I am buried in it, but it's not very likely (in my opinion) that a better one will come up so I was prepared to pay whatever it took.

In the case of the Walking Lib you could make an argument that there are still plenty left to grade and a better one may show up, but that's up to the bidders to decide on. Personnally I hope they enjoy the coin.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will always be decided by who the has the most money. Not that I'm questioning the coin cause I'm not but common sense needs to play a role in buying these fabricated pop 1 coins. There's no way a grading company can put the time in a collector does in knowing which coins are the greatest. They haven't seen every coin out there and they never will. So it has always been a risk investment. Of course, the objective is to always be able to make that decision whether a coin can improve in any of the qualities that make up it's eye appeal. If you can't do that than you're obviously overgrading or overspending in coins.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    For those that must have the finest....
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>Anyone check out the close up shots of the obverse? looks ms67 tops IMHO.

I will agree with the "buried" statements >>

.......oh boy , don't say that ! if it should downgrade for some reason at PCGS - I don't think the buyer will be compensated to the tune of a hundred grand !!
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭
    SkyMan - did that Walker go CAM, or did they bite you for the sun?
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    I wish a couple of these millionaire/billionaires would spend several million dollars and buy up every Franklin on the market !!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish a couple of these millionaire/billionaires would spend several million dollars and buy up every Franklin on the market !! >>

I wish they would too - I'm tired of competing with them for walkers AND large cents!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1944 Half MS68 $109,250…read it again, not a typo…1944 Walker $109,000!"

If memory serves me right, remember the 41-S Walker at around $100,000? What did Laura pay at auction when it sold a year or two later the next time it (same coin) appeared at auction and there was one less bidder? Was it around $30,000?

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>1944 Half MS68 $109,250…read it again, not a typo…1944 Walker $109,000!"

If memory serves me right, remember the 41-S Walker at around $100,000? What did Laura pay at auction when it sold a year or two later the next time it (same coin) appeared at auction and there was one less bidder? Was it around $30,000?

Wondercoin. >>

I recall that 41-S being $70-80K first time, then $30K next time.

There's a FBL Franklin that sold for an insane amount then a second coin hit the pops and it was crushed.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah ... it could have been $80k to $30k on that Walker. That Franklin went from $69k to the $30's as I recall from auction to auction (with one less bidder too). I would not be surprised if that 53-S Franklin did quite though well if auctioned again today.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I was watching the auction online and it looked like the auctioneer was nodding in 3 different directions.

MJ, you were there. Were there 2 or 3 bidders? --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah ... it could have been $80k to $30k on that Walker. That Franklin went from $69k to the $30's as I recall from auction to auction (with one less bidder too). I would not be surprised if that 53-S Franklin did quite though well if auctioned again today.

Wondercoin >>

Yeah that's the one 53-S MS67 $69K to $27K in round two.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lessons to be learned and collecting strategies that perhaps need to be revisited

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

<< <i>Reminds me of when the forum was ablaze about this walker. A few days later I was walking through CSNS in Cincinnati and Laura called me over and asked if I wanted to see some cool coins, including the one linked right above. Not being a big walker guy I was very unimpressed for a $250k+ coin, but it did look pretty nice for the grade... lol >>

speety, I'd sleep a whole lot better having $250K+ tied into that 1919-D then the OP WLH as it's actually a well struck example. Both of the MS68 44-P's have excessive roll stacking marks which are common for the date. In the late 80's and early 90's Swiatek was still selling original rolls of common 1940's WLH issues. The chances of more MS68 1944's are far greater then another single 19-D in 66. >>

Oh i wasn't trying to bash the price, i'm just not dumping that much into a walker personally. The coin has realized over $250k twice now, seems like it may be a trend, not a single instance of bidiocy.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file