PackGeek.com - latest rip - Quest for a Gem Mint 1983 OPC Gwynn

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Jeff! Love the sound effects, too, LOL!

One recommendation for you: to more easily open vintage racks, just cut along the top of the rack below the seal and the cards will slip right out..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL @ "That's what she said"!

Thanks for sharing your rip videos!
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Great thread!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. After all, my main intention behind video taping these rips was to share them with the board members.
    Thanks again for checking them out.

PS - Grote, I wish I had known that before opening these packs. I was having a heck of a time. I appreciate the info.
    Jeff
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    If I can add something nice about BBCE....I've been purchasing boxes of vintage wax packs and I am sure they do not search the fronts or backs of them for stars on top because I got 2 1983 Topps Boggs and a 1985 McGwire right on top and could have been sold for much more than a pack costs...especially PSA graded.

-Mark
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay - sorry for the delay. Here are the four new pack rip videos...
    >>

Cool videos - I watched all of them. If I could make a suggestion, please turn down the volume down a bit on the sound effects. They are much louder than your voice.

BTW, (Tony) Oliva is pronounced OH-LEE-VUH (not OH-LIV-EE-AY). image
  • Options

<< <i>

Cool videos - I watched all of them. If I could make a suggestion, please turn down the volume down a bit on the sound effects. They are much louder than your voice.

BTW, (Tony) Oliva is pronounced OH-LEE-VUH (not OH-LIV-EE-AY). image >>

hahaha - thank you for the feedback. After going back and watching the video - I realized I butchered Tony Oliva's name. That isn't the first - and it won't be the last butchering job, I'm sure. But I appreciate you pointing that out. And I agree with the volume comment - I'll try to do better about balancing that out. Thanks for watching.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Yeah I was watching it last night and I was trying to be quiet about it, and all the sudden it was like "HOORAAAAYYYY" and I was like WOAH! image

Still love the setup though, sometimes I find myself singing "Pack Geek, RRRRRIIIPPPP!!" when ripping into an old pack, lol. Good stuff...
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff! I'm still trying to iron out all of the kinks - so this feedback from you guys in extremely helpful.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>If I can add something nice about BBCE....I've been purchasing boxes of vintage wax packs and I am sure they do not search the fronts or backs of them for stars on top because I got 2 1983 Topps Boggs and a 1985 McGwire right on top and could have been sold for much more than a pack costs...especially PSA graded.

-Mark >>

I can confirm this.

I buy 1982-1984 Rack Pack boxes when available from BBCE. I found many racks with star on top within the boxes. Example I still have rack with 1984 Mattingly RC on top very well centered.
  • Options
    Steve would stand to lose a ton more money if he was known for searching rack/cello boxes for stars on top. I mean sure he could make an extra couple dollars if he pulled all of the packs with stars on top, but he wouldn't get nearly the amount of business from people looking to purchase legit boxes and packs. This is why I'm exclusive to BBCE for authentic unopened product.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Nice thanks for sharing! FYI Billy Williams is a hall of famer too.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

<< <i>sometimes I find myself singing "Pack Geek, RRRRRIIIPPPP!!" when ripping into an old pack, lol. Good stuff... >>

Me too! That is to funny. At our house my 2 boys (5&6) walk around singing it too. As they open a cereal box of 2010 Topps LOL.

--------------------------------------------------

PG - You scare me with those poultry sheers. When you pull those out. I cringe every time.

LOL!
  • Options
    I must say - that is the ultimate compliment. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the videos. I hope to be able to keep them coming.
    PS - just put in an order for the next rip: '80/'81 Basketball (Topps) & Hockey (OPC) wax.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff,

Do you have that spread sheet that was around that had the order of cards for racks and cello?

I have it somewhere but I haven't used it in a long time. Very handy for what you are doing I would think.
  • Options
    I don't. If I did I would have never opened the most recent rack packs - no big hits at all.
    Jeff
  • Options
    The latest rips...

5 packs of 1980-81 OPC Hockey. Watch video HERE
    Jeff
  • Options
    NIIIIICE!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    These packs were a lot of fun to rip, despite only a few hits.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>These packs were a lot of fun to rip, despite only a few hits. >>

i must say, for an OPC release, they sure did put a lot of cards per pack in them
  • Options
    Nice thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i must say, for an OPC release, they sure did put a lot of cards per pack in them >>

Yeah, until about 1986-87 when they included a whopping SEVEN cards per pack.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    dude--nice pull on the Bourque. Don't you check to see if you can tell which cards are showing thru the packs? Had you seen that Bourque and got the pack slabbed, you would have made a nice return on it!
  • Options
    That first pack was awesome. Not only did it have the bourque on one side but it had a nice Brian Propp on the other. That had a third rookie in Craigs Hartsburg. You also pulled a nice Mike Liut Rookie. All in very nice. This is why I love set!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>dude--nice pull on the Bourque. Don't you check to see if you can tell which cards are showing thru the packs? Had you seen that Bourque and got the pack slabbed, you would have made a nice return on it! >>

That's exactly what I thought. The gum was covering up most of the details on the back of the card - and they don't list the players name on the back. I wouldn't have opened it if I had known that card was showing.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Here we go again - Five packs of 1980-81 Topps Basketball.

Let's rip...

PackGeek.com Rip #14 - CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO
    Jeff
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Congrats on the rip! Nice pull!
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Fun rip. Good luck.

edit: Just saw the video. Nice haul!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Thanks guys! It was a really fun rip.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Great stuff, as alwaysa, Jeff!

Congrats on the Bird/Magic RC pull!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Had you seen that Bourque and got the pack slabbed, you would have made a nice return on it!

Unfortunately, until PSA modifies the holder design, there is a 50-50 chance that any wax pack you submit for holdering will suffer a torn wrapper by the time it gets back to you.

• Options
    NIIIICE!!!

what are you doing with your rookie card hits from the videos? having them slabbed?
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Nice! I got one Bird/Magic card in a wax box 2 weeks ago and I just opened 7 packs today and got a few Bird's and a Magic RC but not the big one. Congrats on the card
  • Options
    Thanks again for checking out the videos, guys. So far, I've had my best luck with wax and very little luck opening rack packs.

<< <i>NIIIICE!!!
    what are you doing with your rookie card hits from the videos? having them slabbed? >>

I was thinking about subbing some of the rookies I've pulled that are actually well centered, but I still have all of them on hand. So if you guys see anything you're interested in - please PM me and I might be able to help you out.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Nice pull on the Bird rookie.
  • Options
    Sweet pull. I enjoy watching the videos, so keep busting wax
  • Options
    I appreciate the feedback! I'm excited you guys are getting a kick out of them.

Jeff
  • Options
    I apologize for the delay - but I'm finally back to ripping some wax!

The latest rip is two packs of 1979-80 Topps Hockey. Watch Rip Video HERE

Jeff
  • Options
    Hey Jeff, yet another nice video!

It's funny, I still can't help myself whenever I rip an older pack, I always say " Pack Geeeeek, RIIIIIP!" lol
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff! It's good to know the PackGeek jingle has infected your subconscious, too - it drives my wife crazy at this point.

BTW - I have two more rips coming up (SPOILER ALERT): One is two packs of '70 OPC Baseball and the other is two packs of '71 OPC Baseball. Stay tuned for more!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Welcome Back Jeff!

keep up the great work!
  • Options
    Thank you! It's great to have some new wax to bust! More to come.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Also - if anyone collects wrappers - please let me know. I've started saving the wrappers from my pack rips, but I have no interest in collecting them.
    Jeff
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Also - if anyone collects wrappers - please let me know. I've started saving the wrappers from my pack rips, but I have no interest in collecting them. >>

hot damn! you THREW them out before???

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Also - if anyone collects wrappers - please let me know. I've started saving the wrappers from my pack rips, but I have no interest in collecting them. >>

hot damn! you THREW them out before??? >>

Yep, I've been trashing them. I've always been worried about them falling into the hands of dishonest people. But after a few requests, I've decided to hang on to them to give away to my board buddies. So if any of you guys want them - just shoot me a PM and they're yours. I'd be happy to find a good home for them. First come first serve.

Jeff
    Jeff
  • Options
    For today's PackGeek.com rip we have two packs of 1971 O-Pee-Chee Baseball (series 3), recently purchased from the BBCE. LINK TO VIDEO

Thanks for watching!

Jeff

Jeff
  • Options
    NIIIIICE!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your rips, sir. The videos are great. Shame on the MC cards on that one but it's entertaining as heck!