Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this "1794 Starred Reverse Large Cent"?

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to guess $12,500 - but hope it goes higher. Best of luck with it!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a link to the Heritage auction.

I predict $9k hammer.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a link to the Heritage auction.

I predict $9k hammer. >>

I'll see your $9k and raise you $3.5k!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's off to a good start. $4250
  • Options
    Hi Baron.... yes it is off to a good start... :-) Thanks for your post.

It just went up for internet bidding Fri 12/17/10... (yesterday)... it should be interesting what it finally goes for...
    there is a lot of people watching or tracking this coin... :-) I have also had quite a few people contact me because
    of the front page article in Coin World offering to purchase the coin... but I had already committed the coin to Heritage
    Auction - FUN Show... The coin will be sold during "Platinum Night" at the show...

I am very surprised at how much interest this coin is generating... :-)

shasta7
    Those who are collecting SILVER... will be wealthy shortly!!
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want an S-48.
  • Options
    Hi Rays...

I hope you get/find an S-48 that you want... I was told many times this one has alot of eye appeal... I have many people calling me
    about the coin asking questions about it. With it only being up for bidding a couple days it is doing pretty good & has alot of collector interest... :-)

Should get very interesting the closer to the auction...
    shasta7
  • Options
    Just a quick update...

Thanks to those who gave their views & quesses... appreciate it.

The bid on the "1794 Large Cent Starred Rev"... now is up to $7,000 !!!

Which is good considering it being listed only a few days at the Heritage site...
    Hopefully it does well at the FUN show in Tampa...

shasta7
  • Options
    Hello everyone...

I just wanted to wish each of you & your families... a very MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

The latest update/stats on the coin the "1794 Lg Cent Starred Rev" at the Heritage website is

6 internet bidders... viewed over 400 times... (showing alot of interest) - bid is now up to $7,000

Coin will be sold/auctioned off at FUN show in Tampa, FL on Jan 6th... during Platinum Night
    Thanks again for all the posts to this thread... & for all who wish me well.

shasta7
  • Options
    Way to go shasta7, your coin "1794 Lg Cent with starred rev" is generating a lot of interest with the
    guys/gals in the early coppers arena.

My guess:
    I am thinking the coin should bring area of high teens figure... maybe 17-19K range... these do NOT
    come up for sale often. Good Luck with the auction. Hoefully someone keeps us posted. I will be going to FUN.

koda2
  • Options
    Hello everyone... Just wanted to say "HAPPY NEW YEAR" to all...

May this year be the best one yet for you, your families, & especially for all those looking for
    great deals on coins. Hopefully we all will benefit & find what we are looking for... :-)

shasta7
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i> Hopefully we all will benefit & find what we are looking for... :-)

shasta7 >>

Keep hope/thread alive image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Nominated for the "Lou Butterfield" memorial thread.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Here is an update on the Auction at Heritage for:

"1794 Large Cent - with Starred Reverse" ... now has 7 internet bidders, 22 people tracking it,
    and been viewed over 600 times. The current bid online is up to $7,500...

The coin is to be auctioned/sold at this weeks FL FUN show (Thurs Jan 6th - during Platinum Night)
    The coin is a featured coin for Heritage Auction - Lot #5420

This is the latest...
  • Options
    Thank you "WoodenJefferson" for the "Lou Butterfield" nomination... :-) appreciate your kindness...

I also Thank everyone else for your input, knowledge, posts, to this thread... :-)

shasta7
  • Options
    amazing story
  • Options
    I agree henson4... it is an incredible story... what a find...
    good luck at the Heritage FUN show auction!!

I read the story in Coin World Mag Sept 13th issue.

Does anyone have a link to this auction?
  • Options
    How many people here will be at the Tampa F.U.N. show on Thursday night during
    Heritage's - "Platinum Night Auction" to see the coin go off in person?

I hope the coin does well as the story in Coin World Sept 13 issue was one of the best stories of the year!!
    I am kinda biased because the person in the story in my uncle... I wish him well

koda
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    11:40 am EST...

• Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Currently at $8,500 ($9,775 w/ BP) with 18 minutes remaining in absentee bidding. Congratulations, and good luck!
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Just curious, but has anyone told you that "YOU SUCK" yet? image

Congrats and I hope for you and your friend that it brings a strong price tomorrow night.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    Hi all... again Thanks for all your posts/replies... appreciate them. :-))

For whoever nominated this topic for the "Lou Butterfield Award"... Thank you!!

Rld14, you asked... has anyone told you that "YOU SUCK" yet? Answer is a few... but if it is meant as a compliment then Thank you... lol

I also wanted to introduce my nephew koda2... I told him about the forum thread here. He is just seriously getting into coins.
    His favorite at the moment is pre 64 Wash Quarters...

As someone already posted the coin for internet bidding was $8,500...
    & hopefully will do better on the floor during Platinum Night Auction
    Thurs night... Thank again everyone.

shasta7
  • Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Ok, we get it, jees...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's a link to the Heritage auction.

I predict $9k hammer. >>

I'll see your $9k and raise you $3.5k! >>

Closed @ $9,775 hammer. You lose. imageimage

Congrats to the consignor and new owner!!!
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 491 ✭✭
    Just under $10k. Is this a "deal" for the buyer or does the price seem reasonable? Congrats to the seller.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just under $10k. Is this a "deal" for the buyer or does the price seem reasonable? Congrats to the seller. >>

Personally, I think the coin got enough publicity to have attracted a fair and reasonable price for this piece. Had its condition been better then the price would most certainly have risen but for an initial $25 outlay, Terry should get inducted into the "You Suck" Hall of Fame.

Marty?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I was watching the auction last night and had this coin tracked to see how it did.

Great story and good for you, and your friend.
    Dan
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    uniship

I think that the price was reasonable given the planchet issues.
  • Options

realone, i been collecting for about 3 yr's... I don't know alot about early coppers though.

Koda, Just out of curiosity how long have you been collecting copper for?
  • Options

<< <i>Just under $10k. Is this a "deal" for the buyer or does the price seem reasonable? >>

Yes, to me, the price was fair.

Let's face it, the coin has issues. If it weren't a starred reverse but rather a common 1794, it'd be a $300-ish coin.

But it IS a starred reverse considered by many to be a unique type. It is ALWAYS in demand, and as you can see, a 5 figure coin even when damaged and cleaned.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Just under $10k. Is this a "deal" for the buyer or does the price seem reasonable? Congrats to the seller. >>

Personally, I think the coin got enough publicity to have attracted a fair and reasonable price for this piece. Had its condition been better then the price would most certainly have risen but for an initial $25 outlay, Terry should get inducted into the "You Suck" Hall of Fame.

Marty? >>

Enough publicity.....yah think?.....I would have to agree.....hopefully when I go to sell a coin and mention it here 100x no one will ask me to take it to the BSTimage >>

You're just jealous your half dimes don't get as much attention. imageimage
  • Options
    I guessed about 9k, sounds like was not too far off. I'm sure if it was in a problem free holder without the issues it would have gone 15k or so. Congrats on the sale. It was fun to see it being bid up.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    First of all I want to "Thank Everyone" for all your help, advice, input, & for generally helping my thread a
    very good one... :-) I too agree the price the coin sold for was fair... I also feel it it was not for the planchet
    defect it would have went much higher. I hope the lucky bidder will be happy & enjoy the coin.

It is great people like you here on this forum who make this hobby enjoyable... I have already met some great people
    whom I become friends with... just wanted everyone to know I appreciate you.

TZ (shasta7)
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    What a cool story!
    I missed it until now.

Congrats!!!

imageimageimageimage
    Ed
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    "I also wanted to introduce my nephew koda2... I told him about the forum thread here. He is just seriously getting into coins."

I would imagine that ALL your relatives that know about this story will be seriously getting into coins.......
  • Options
    I also don't know how I missed this thread but congratulations on the find and on having the knowledge to know it was a find.
    I won't give you a You Suck but I will give you a Melvin Mumble.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>If it weren't a starred reverse but rather a common 1794, it'd be a $300-ish coin.

oh, no, it's only $25! I read it on the front page of Coin World, "purchased for $25"! But wait, half the proceeds go to the original owners, so it's really more like $5000! (the other half of the proceeds go to the publicists) who started and perpetuated this thread, alerted the media, dealt with Heritage, etc! But still, the attention getting headline said, "$25" so W"O?Weeee!

we'll see if we ever hear from these two again. Hey, the thread asks what we think. Some of us think the whole thing grew somewhat fishy image >>

Well Baley, here I am!! since you don't believe you would ever hear from me again...

I don't understand why you seem so upset or why you think this thread to be fishy??? You don't even know me but there are a
    few on this forum who do & am sure would tell you I am an honest person. You do have a right to your opinion & can say or think
    what you want... & Yes I did put this thread up to ask for peoples thoughts. SO BELIEVE go ahead & what you want!!

BUT just to put the record straight:

As far as me contacting Coin World, Heritage, etc... Coin World contacted me... they are the ones who requested the story.
    At that time we didn't even know what we were going to do with the coin (that was decided later once the story was written)
    Regardless... I put this thread together so others could see the coin & to give me their input... (just so the story is straight why I
    started the thread in the first place)... You seem to be the only one who is upset or has a problem concerning this situation...
    for this I am sorry... to all the others who took part in this coin/thread I am very appreciative & happy I was able to share the
    coin & the story... the main thing I am grateful for is that the family who originally had the coin will benefit... for those who believe
    this great, for those who don't... oh well... as they say "You can't ever please everyone"!! I know the truth & so does the family
    which is all that matters...

Lastly, I thank you all for taking part or posting in this thread... I learned alot.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shasta7,

Thank you for sharing your find with us! I am thrilled that you discovered it was genuine here. I am happy that you got a great price for the coin and that you are sharing it with the previous owner.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a very great story and we're glad you shared it, yes, we read $25 in coin world and were very interested, every one of your 103 posts to date are on the subject, as are all of the posts of your nephew.

Looking forward to your ongoing contributions to these forums

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>It's a very great story and we're glad you shared it, yes, we read $25 in coin world and were very interested, every one of your 103 posts to date are on the subject, as are all of the posts of your nephew.

Looking forward to your ongoing contributions to these forums >>

I thought it was worth sharing reason I opened the topic... & thought others would enjoy the subject matter...

BUT Baley, I'm not sure how to take your responses... as I also did NOT post to JUST this thread?? Yes, I posted mostly to this
    thread as it was MINE & also responded to many of the people who gave their input or responded to their posts... I thought
    this is what a person was suppose to do... not!! So when you say all my 103 posts were to just this thread you are NOT
    correct... you will see if you do a search I have posted to other threads as well... just enter "shasta7" in the search button.
    You will most certainly find I've posted in 21/2 pages of other threads...

As far as my nephew's posting...
    My nephew... is just getting into coins & YES I am the one who told him about this forum... he also was biased as toward
    me. as we are relatives... I am sure if you had a topic & also had a family member who posted to one of your threads they
    too would post in your favor... right! When you post in this thread it almost seems you are writting stuff like digs or seem
    mad at me... my only question, I don't understand or am confused by is... WHY???

As John Wayne once said... I haven't had to explain this much to one person... so hopefully this will be the last time.

shasta7
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    image at post by Seanq
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 491 ✭✭
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file