Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this "1794 Starred Reverse Large Cent"?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You should get an EAC grade and then sell at a big auction ASAP( Bmore in NOV) if that is what you would like to do. The fever pitch will peak soon after the review with EAC standards combined with the coin world artical. Congrats again that was an amazing find. >>

Good advice.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Cover of Coin World!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I expect the frothiest of frenzies at auction. Put it in as soon as humanly possible.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Here is your big chance to hire Laura! You certainly don't want to miss that opportunity. Maybe you guys will become big buds? image
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    A HUGE congratulations combined with a YOU SUCK Terry!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>A HUGE congratulations combined with a YOU SUCK Terry! >>

Thanks Lee... :-) does this mean I am a canidate for the "You Suck Award" ? lol

I thank all those whom posted...

crypto79... I do plan on getting the coin graded if all possible... am in touch with some people now!

shasta7
    Those who are collecting SILVER... will be wealthy shortly!!
  • Options
    Thanks to all those who responded... :-)

crypto79 (I agree & working on it...), MisterBungle, PerryHall (I also agree), EagleEye (yes Front Cover is pretty cool), RTS (Appreciate you posting the mag front cover), Longacre (that would be good if this happens), illini420, qiuckwing (NOT sure who Laura is??, 19Lys (appreciate your YOU SUCK comment... lol), etc... hopefully I didn't miss anyone!!
    =============================================================================================

Just my own personal thoughts or comments on the damage on the coin...

Even though PCGS says the coin is (damaged)... I still think the damage/flaw was in the planchet before as Pete Smith mentioned.

Here is why I feel or believe this...
    On the REV... one of the stars sticks up or is located in the middle of the crack & also part of the ribbon is even & crosses
    the crack... On the OBV the hair of Liberty also shows it crosses the crevice of crack... The Letters "B & E" of Liberty also
    protrude into the crevice... so to me at least, this means the damage was PRIOR to being struck or minted - NOT after it
    was struck!! This is why I am convinced it is a "flaw in the planchet" BEFORE being struck... other wise those areas would
    be depressed & much lower & the star would been obliterated... this issue also is mentioned in the Coin World article. The
    only true way of really knowing for sure is if a few experts see the coin in their own hands, as pictures can not do it... just
    as Chuck Heck says...

I was also told it could mean alot as far as pricing & grading of the coin... Bottom line, it really doesn't really matter except to
    a serious buyer who is wanting a "Starred Rev Lg Cent"... so when or if it goes to auction is when we will know... :-)

I feel Coin World did a great job on the story...

shasta7
  • Options
    Best of luck in the auction, I will be following it for sure. Any ideas yet on where you want to auction it?
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    This is one of the coolest threads on the boards that I can remember! Can't wait to see how the auction turns out!
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    shasta7
    While the coin would be worth a little more to people if it was in a problem free holder since it would appeal to collectors not just interested in pennies but in American rarities too. It doesn't really matter toooooo much if the damage came before or after the minting process as we can all agree it is an eye sore and a "problem". I still wouldn't worry about what PCGS says about the flaw as the person who is going to buy that is going to base their opinion off of the EAC grade more so than the PCGS grade & might crack it out too.

Then again might notimage Also I would like to point out it is not a bad time to find famous, rare early copper as the market for it is peaking due to some large disbursements. Well played and don't forget your friends son.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A HUGE congratulations combined with a YOU SUCK Terry! >>

Thanks Lee... :-) does this mean I am a canidate for the "You Suck Award" ? lol

I thank all those whom posted...

crypto79... I do plan on getting the coin graded if all possible... am in touch with some people now!

shasta7 >>

Anytime a board member picks a coin up for $25 and it turns out to be worth more than $5,000 is a You Suck. It just needs someone to post it and renomedphys appropriately awarded it to you on 8/2. I'm just repeating it.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, CONGRATULATIONS!!

"Collector buys Starred Reverse cent for $25"

that is one HELL of a RIP from, (your words)

a long time friend whom I known for years.

Good Job! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Thanks to all...

GFourDriver, (Thank You)

Monstavet, (appreciate your comment - it is pretty neat hearing everyone input & comments)

crypto79, (I agree with your comments & believe that anyone looking to buy a starred rev large cent will like this coin regardless,
    as it is in better condition then most surviving samples)

19Lyds, That made my day!! lol Thank you...

Baley, (Thanks for the comments)

(Just to clear things up)... I knew both the father & son... the son alot more, as we been long time friends for many yrs...
    The son does know everything that is happening regarding the coin... & yes he was very surprised if I sell the coin that I
    was sharing whatever the coin brings at auction... I am about 90% sure it will go for sale... it isn't everyday a coin this rare
    is discovered or even put up for sale. I just don't want to make any hasty decisions too quickly. Just letting it sink in... &
    will weigh all options. Which is the smart thing to do...

shasta7
  • Options

<< <i>wow, CONGRATULATIONS!!

"Collector buys Starred Reverse cent for $25"

that is one HELL of a RIP from, (your words)

a long time friend whom I known for years.

Good Job! image >>

Terry is a stand up guy and I have absolutely no doubts that he'll fully compensate his friend should the coin sell at auction. I'm sure his friend will receive much, much more than if his buddy had simply dumped the lot at a local B&M.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Another congrats!

As a S-48 owner, I was excited to see this story develope for shasta7 !!!

Read the CoinWorld article!

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    Bump as this is a better read than bashing Laura or extra finger DDO's, well maybe not the extra finger bashing
  • Options
    Here it is!

Right here all the time!

I wonder why I couldn't find it?? image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what happened but it is back.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know what happened but it is back. >>

Thank you Don for getting it back!! :-)
    shasta7
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Read the article today. Congrats and a very cool story!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Great story, and good luck....image
    figglehorn
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Kudos
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Do I get a finders fee Terry?? image

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Do I get a finders fee Terry?? image >>

Lee... No finders fee... but if you send me all your "Ike Dollars" I will put them in a safe place for you... lol
    Seriously, Thanks for helping to get the thread of the 1794 Starred Rev back up... :-)

shasta7
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Wow!!! Congrats!!! A once in a lifetime find and definately the post of the yearimage
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic !!!!!!!!

Oh, forgot.......YOU SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    imageimage

Edit: You now have official you suck status, from another you suck recipient :-) Post it to your sigline.......
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Hi everyone... it has been awhile since I posted regarding the "1794 Large Cent Starred Rev"...

We decided to let it go to auction... it will go to the "Heritage Auction" - F.U.N. show in Jan... I believe the dates are Jan 6-9...
    at the Tampa Convention Center

The person a consigned the coin with said the coin will be sold during what they call "Platinum Night"... these are
    for coins valued at 10K or more...

For those who are reading this topic for the first time... this coin was the featured story on the front page of Coin World.
    The issue date was: Sept 13th 2010...

I also wanted to Thank everyone for their help, comments, posts, & congratulations... :-) hopefully it will do well there...

shasta7
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even it is doesn't make the 10K guideline it should go in the Platinum section just because it is a cool story. Good luck!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even it is doesn't make the 10K guideline it should go in the Platinum section just because it is a cool story. Good luck! >>

I'm pretty confident it will go for well over 10k. Check THIS one out that sold at David Lawrence!

-Paul
  • Options
    I agree with Paul. I don't think it will have a problem hitting 10K.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on, as the coinworld headline says, buying such a rare, popular, famous, and expensive coin for only $25!

It still amazes and baffles, that the owner of a 1794 cent wouldn't consult, well, just about ANY price guide, see the values of the "starred rev.", and checking to see if it had any stars,
    before selling for such a low amount!

You had amazing good fortune to be in the right place at the right time to be able to captitalize on such an opportunity!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow!!! Congrats!!! A once in a lifetime find and definately the post of the yearimage >>

I will second the POTY nomination Casman and I'll add my congrats to shasta7.
    Best of luck with the auction.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options

<< <i>Congrats on, as the coinworld headline says, buying such a rare, popular, famous, and expensive coin for only $25!

It still amazes and baffles, that the owner of a 1794 cent wouldn't consult, well, just about ANY price guide, see the values of the "starred rev.", and checking to see if it had any stars,
    before selling for such a low amount!

You had amazing good fortune to be in the right place at the right time to be able to captitalize on such an opportunity! >>

Baley... your comment is reasonable but you need to understand the person who owned the coin passed away... the family the collection was left with were not collectors... they contacted me as we been friends for many years & they knew I was a coin collector.

They did take some of the collection to a few coin dealers but was just checking to see what they were offered... as they told me they were not happy what they were told. (I do not know if one of the coins they took was the 1794 Lg Cent)... that is when they contacted me... the rest as they say is history!! Coin World article explains that the family will NOT be left out... as once the coin is sold at auction they will be getting 50%... which is the only fair thing an honest person should do. Hope this now helps you better understand.

Lastly, the 1794 Lg Cent Starred Rev is now listed/cataloged on the Heritage WebSite... was told it will be available for bids early-Dec...

shasta7
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read the article in Coin World....it was a freebie with a subscription offer. It was neat to get on the boards and see that this had already been discussed in detail on the forum. I read all 7 pages. Great story and a great end to the story.
    image I hope the auction goes well for you.
  • Options
    image Great story, great find, It's great to hear a story like this.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    It has been a while since there was an update so I thought I'd give one...

"1794 Starred Reverse Large Cent Coin" will be sold at the "2011 January Tampa FUN Signature & Platinum Night US Coin Auction"
    It will be sold by Heritage Auctions... it is one of the featured coins of their auction... I was told that it will be sold during
    "Platinum Night". You can see the coin at the Heritage website... they will also have internet bids starting mid -dec...

Thought it would be interesting & allow members to have a little fun to chime in to give their input...

Question for everyone... "What do you think the coin will finally sell for?

Thanks,
    shasta7
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realize that there was a thread here on the story that I read about in Coin World! Terrific find! Good Luck at the sale!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Question for everyone... "What do you think the coin will finally sell for?

Thanks,
    shasta7 >>

$1.59 with a $13,000 buyers fee to the seller.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Nice write up Terry! You should do very well.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I would say about PCGS price quide in a problem free holder. In a Genuine holder I'm going to guess about $8900
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    "What do you think the coin will finally sell for?

$15,225.00
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Question for everyone... "What do you think the coin will finally sell for?

Thanks,
    shasta7 >>

$1.59 with a $13,000 buyers fee to the seller. >>

Lee... this is funny!! Thanks for your input... :-)
  • Options
    Thank you... WoodenJefferson, BaseballAbs, Lee... for your quess & input.

(If anyone else wants to quess feel free... :-)

The 1794 Lg Cent Starred Rev will be sold at 2011 F.U.N. show auction in Jan... the coin will be listed
    on the Heritage Site for internet bidding starting Dec 17th... & will be sold "Platinum Night"...

shasta7

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    The starred cent was the find of a lifetime. I hope it does well in auction.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread and best of luck to you Terry.
  • Options

<< <i>The starred cent was the find of a lifetime. I hope it does well in auction. >>

mdwoods... YES it was & I too am hoping it will do well at the HA auction... I do believe it will as the coin is NOT
    just a rare coin... but the coin itself has alot of eye appeal & looks great for this type of coin. Most of these coins
    that exist are not in very good shape. I was told my coin even with the die flaws is in incredible condition, which
    I also agree... :-)

Thanks gonzer for your comment... :-)

shasta7

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file