Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this "1794 Starred Reverse Large Cent"?

What are your thoughts of this coin I just purchased? Notice it has stars on the rev around the edges...
Any input is appreciated... :-) Personal Thanks to "Lee" for helping me get the pictures up for the people to see...

Here is picture of OBV & REV side by side...

shasta7
Those who are collecting SILVER... will be wealthy shortly!!

Comments

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is your coin.

• Options
    Thanks for the help coinnut... :-)
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Starred Reverse......Requires Authentication

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a reproduction that has been artificially aged.

peacockcoins

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    At the very minimum, the coin needs to go through the authentication process with PCGS.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a reproduction that has been artificially aged. >>

Braddick...

have you heard or saw that these coins have been counterfeited or reproduced?
    Also, do you have any links, more info, or know any company that reproduced these?
    Just trying to get all the info I can to learn about this variety... Thanks
  • Options
    Yes, I have seen these in gem mint red reproduction state.

Not contemporary, but modern.

peacockcoins

• Options

Did you purchase it as a Starred Reverse cent?.....There are only about 57 known and I recall the first 51 were featured in a book on these by a guy named Pete Smith.

Where to find the book, I don't know.......

Do you mind saying what you gave for it?

I have a low grade one, and I think it was coin #40 or something in that book.

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    UTTM07UTTM07 Posts: 313 ✭✭
    Fortunately the GMM replica has different edge lettering than the original. I've been carrying a replica in my pocket this summer.

Reproduction reads: ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR * RL * GMM *

Spacing of words on edge will be different for original.

Also GMM piece has a double denticle at 8 o'clock on obverse and COPY stamp is is punched in wreat and field on reverse.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input people... :-)

Here are a few replies to those whom posted...

Braddick... do you know where they are reproduced?

Lee... I agree with you the only true way to know for sure it to get it authenticated to make sure it is real...

okracer... No as far as purchasing it as a starred rev... it was from a collection whose dad passed away & asked
    me to buy the coins... I was told by one of my local dealers that to him it was a good one but to be sure to send it in.
    He showed me a book by Sheldon & another Larger book... he showed me that these "starred rev types" were made
    on bad planchets. I will try to find that book by Pete Smith... I gave the seller $25.00 for the coin as I thought it was
    a damaged bad looking coin. Thanks for the info

UTTM07... Who is GMM? Do they have a website?
    My coin has: ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR (& right after the R of dollar has what looks to be a leaf.
    sorta looks like a spade sideways...

It does NOT have... the RL or GMM or the word Copy stamped on the coin... the Rev is very bad/weak...

& No I am not going to get too excited till I get it either authenticated or find it to be not real...
    I checked the edges of the coin to see if I could see other metal colors such as the silver color
    that many fakes get made of... could not see any. The person who owned the coin was a collector
    from the late mid 60's to the late 80's... more then this regarding the coin I can't say.

shasta7

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XXGS F-15, if authentic, cleaning and corrosion and damage mean nothing.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    >>UTTM07... Who is GMM? Do they have a website?>>

Gallery Mint Museum (the RL stands for Ron Landis)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

You might change the title to include "1794 Starred Reverse Cent", so to attract more comments.

• Options
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    That is a genuine S-48, Starred Reverse Large Cent, damaged but genuine.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    There ya go...BigMoose has spoken.

And that is all I need.

njcc

P.S. Congrats!
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you don't mean SCARED reverse (sorry just kidding).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    This one has gotten good
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a genuine S-48, Starred Reverse Large Cent, damaged but genuine.

Without seeing the coin in hand, I would guess the same.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<it was from a collection whose dad passed away & asked me to buy the coins..... I gave the seller $25.00 for the coin as I thought it was a damaged bad looking coin.>>

Congrats!

Congrats?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen lower grade examples trade for in excess of $10,000.
    If this one is a genuine example (and PCGS knows how to authenticate one), if submitted to PCGS, I would gauge the chances of either scenario at 50%:

1. PCGS grades it as Good-6.
    2. PCGS slabs its as Genuine.

As long as at least some of the reverse stars are visible, the coin will be desirable.

On a rarity like this, I think the TPG companies will be very lenient with respect to cleaning, corrosion, etc. But if the coin is bent or heavily damaged in some way, less so.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd like to buy an S-48 for $25...image
    Been trying to buy an undamaged AG-3 from a fellow club member for 15 years. He hasn't budged yet.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the real deal to me, by the images that is. Congrats!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the real camp. Looks like a huge large planchet flaw that would be very had to add artificially afterward. --jerry
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<it was from a collection whose dad passed away & asked me to buy the coins..... I gave the seller $25.00 for the coin as I thought it was a damaged bad looking coin.>>

Congrats!

Congrats? >>

Uh... YOU SUCK
  • Options

If this turns out to be real, you should call Coinworld or some publication for another "discovery" of a Starred Revers Cent.

Would likely get some recognition, and it can help update the census of surviving examples.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was from a collection whose dad passed away & asked
    me to buy the coins... I was told by one of my local dealers that to him it was a good one but to be sure to send it in.
    He showed me a book by Sheldon & another Larger book... he showed me that these "starred rev types" were made
    on bad planchets. I will try to find that book by Pete Smith... I gave the seller $25.00 for the coin as I thought it was
    a damaged bad looking coin.

Congratulations! Looks not much at all like the GM reproduction posted

So, now that this looks like a real, five-figure coin maybe, Are you going to consider sharing any bit of the fame and fortune from this Discovery with the widow and/or orphans from whom you purchased the piece?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    "...the first 51 were featured in a book on these by a guy named Pete Smith.

Where to find the book, I don't know......."

-----

Pete Smith put out this study of the "Starred Reverse" cent
    in 1986. He produced 250 copies, and each was numbered.
    Mine is number 129.

Oh, and before I start getting PMs, no, it's not for sale.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    First off, I Thank everyone for their thoughts, info & input... appreciate it very much!! :-)

savoyspecial... Thanks for giving me the name of that company - BigMoose & MrEureka... appreciate your take that it is real. - rays... Thanks & I did count over 25 stars on the coin. - coindeuce... Good Luck with that fellow club member. - crazyhounddog & notwilight... thanks for your post. - renomedphys... does this mean I am a canidate for the "You Suck" award? lol - okracer... I do plan on sending the coin in to PCGS & good idea on the idea of Coin World. - Baley... I had already planned on giving the family 1/2 the money if I learn the coin is real & decide to sell the coin... :-) It would only be right to do that.

again thanks everyone... :-) shasta7
  • Options

a classy move on your part to share half with the family! this has been a great thread

please let us know if it makes it into plastic

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Thanks MisterBungle for that info on the book... I will keep my eye out for one or at least see if anyone I know has one to look over... :-)

savoyspecial... Thanks for the kind comments!! I will for sure let everyone know if it makes it into a slab... & hopefully it does turn out to be a good one!! :-)

shasta7
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I pulled out the Noyes book and agree w/Bug Moose that it appears to be real.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"...the first 51 were featured in a book on these by a guy named Pete Smith.

Where to find the book, I don't know......."

-----

Pete Smith put out this study of the "Starred Reverse" cent
    in 1986. He produced 250 copies, and each was numbered.
    Mine is number 129.

Oh, and before I start getting PMs, no, it's not for sale.

~ >>

So is the one pictured in the OP also pictured in the book, or would this be a new example? With that reverse damage I would think it would be easy to identify.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holey smokies that would be cool!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"So is the one pictured in the OP also pictured in the book, or would this be a new example? With that reverse damage I would think it would be easy to identify."
    -----

This seems to be a new discovery since the publication of Pete's book.

The book doesn't have photos of the coins, but rather drawings of the
    obverse and reverse with rim bumps, corrosion, weaknesses, dings, etc.
    pointed out in the drawings. I don't see another coin listed with this type
    of damage.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    "I gave the seller $25.00 for the coin as I thought it was a damaged bad looking coin. Thanks for the
    info"

Might as well ask the big question!
    What will you say after it is authenticated?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I gave the seller $25.00 for the coin as I thought it was a damaged bad looking coin. Thanks for the
    info"

Might as well ask the big question!
    What will you say after it is authenticated? >>

He already answered it, but it was buried in a longer reply.
    Here it is (from above):

Baley... I had already planned on giving the family 1/2 the money if I learn the coin is real & decide to sell the coin... :-) It would only be right to do that.""

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat find, great thread, and yes, a classy and rightful move on your part, to share the proceeds with the original owners!image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me if a knowledgeable collector hasn't already made an offer for this coin.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major congrats on a great discovery piece (assuming this one is not in the known pool).
    Very honorable of you to share 1/2 the cherrypick with the family....better than many would do in your shoes.
    This is the stuff us collectors daydream about.
    I am very happy for you and for the early coppers guys also.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
  • Options
    Question:

Does anyone have other pictures of starred reverse coins... if so can you please post them so I can compare
    to this one in this thread... Thanks in adv...

shasta7
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Does anyone have other pictures of starred reverse coins... if so can you please post them so I can compare
    to this one in this thread

Dan Holmes sale lot 79...

• Options
    It appears I was wrong with my original assessment.
    Nice catch and a very cool coin.

Congratulations on the find of the year!

peacockcoins

• Options
    Very historic coin... Better to get one in a slab though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the pictures RTS... :-)

Braddick... appreciate your comment... BUT I will not get too excited just yet... NOT until I have the coin verified as genuine...
    I learned long ago not to count on anything... Yes all indications point to it is real. I even looked at other pictures of starred reverses
    & the details are more or less the same, even the stars are located at the proper place as the others... the double denticles on obv
    to left of the 1 is also there on my coin as is on the others. So I do NOT get too wrapped up in thinking it is worth alot of money till
    I see it slabbed as real... I even went looking to see if there were any coins discovered as counterfeits... but couldn't find much.

One person on this thread pointed out that they never would think someone would counterfeit a coin with so much damage or
    as being in bad shape... as it would be very hard to do with the cracks on both sides... so I will continue to do more research
    & get it sent in to be 100% sure... :-) Again I thank all the peoples comments & help & posts... alot more then I ever thought... hehehe

Also to OKRACER who suggested that I send this to Coin World... someone from Coin World already contacted me & would like
    to do a story on the coin... this is if it comes back as good one. I already told the person that it may be a good article to do anyway
    if it wasn't ... at least it would make more people aware. Just my opinion...

shasta7
  • Options
    That coin is in need of a rarities or even ultra rarities submission at PCGS.......... done in two days!
  • Options
    Thanks Gfourdriver I'll keep that in mind... :-)

Can anyone tell me what the weight range would need to be of the "starred reverse"? Also, is it different from the
    normal 1794 Large Cents?

By the way I did a drop test of the 3 1794 coins I have... all three sounded sililar to one another... (which I know still
    doesn't say the one that shows at beginning of this thread is a real one... but had someone ask me to try it... :-)
    Again Thanks for the help all...

shasta7
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file