Home Precious Metals
Options

Congratulations to gold - New all time highs! $2400+!!!

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold appreciates your interest.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seemed the more Ben talked today, the higher silver and gold went. I don't think that he followed the script.

Pretty neat seeing that ATH "orange box" around the gold price on CNBC the entire time Ben was talking. You'd think the CNBC honchos could have figured out
    a way to "defuse" the orange highlights during the news conference.

roadrunner >>

Ben talked again today and looked what happened!

Bernanke should get a talk show of his own.

Gold would hit $5000 within the week!!

What an absolute knucklehead.

He should go back to waiting on tables at 'South of the Border'.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Gold is getting more new highs then a grateful dead rock concert.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Eight miles high.........."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    And when you touch down You'll find that it's Stranger than known
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just hit 1601!
  • Options
    Gold is still far from its true peak, when adjusted for inflation. Gold hit its real record on Jan. 21, 1980, when it rose to $825.50 an ounce. Adjusted for inflation from 1980 dollars to 2011, that translates to an all-time record of $2,261.33 an ounce. We still have a ways to go for it to hit it's all time inflation adjusted record.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Adjusted for inflation from 1980 dollars to 2011, that translates to an all-time record of $2,261.33 an ounce. We still have a ways to go for it to hit it's all time inflation adjusted record. >>

The government has repeatedly changed the way it calculates inflation since 1980. If you adjust gold's price using the more accurate inflation figures from Shadowstats, gold's price would have to hit over $5,400. link.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold is still far from its true peak, when adjusted for inflation. Gold hit its real record on Jan. 21, 1980, when it rose to $825.50 an ounce. Adjusted for inflation from 1980 dollars to 2011, that translates to an all-time record of $2,261.33 an ounce. We still have a ways to go for it to hit it's all time inflation adjusted record. >>

Yep. And that inflation adjusted number for silver is $132.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gold is still far from its true peak, when adjusted for inflation. Gold hit its real record on Jan. 21, 1980, when it rose to $825.50 an ounce. Adjusted for inflation from 1980 dollars to 2011, that translates to an all-time record of $2,261.33 an ounce. We still have a ways to go for it to hit it's all time inflation adjusted record. >>

Yep. And that inflation adjusted number for silver is $132. >>

Yeah & don't forget, for a gallon of gas...about $15.00 - $17.50.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yeah & don't forget, for a gallon of gas...about $15.00 - $17.50.image >>

I'm afraid that is not remotely accurate.

In 1980, unleaded gas was $1.25 a gallon (Source). Adjusted for inflation (applying the same rate used above for silver and gold) works out to about $3.42 a gallon.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold is still far from its true peak, when adjusted for inflation. Gold hit its real record on Jan. 21, 1980, when it rose to $825.50 an ounce. Adjusted for inflation from 1980 dollars to 2011, that translates to an all-time record of $2,261.33 an ounce. We still have a ways to go for it to hit it's all time inflation adjusted record. >>

good point! And what then happened to the price of gold after that celebrated 1980 peak? how did the "investment" perform for the next 20 years? hold on, let me have a look at a chart...

um.. good point!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

good point! And what then happened to the price of gold after that celebrated 1980 peak? how did the "investment" perform for the next 20 years? hold on, let me have a look at a chart...

um.. good point! >>

hold on, let me look at a calendar... Nope, this isn't 1980.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

um.. good point! >>

5 days after gold hit 825, it hit 625.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Yes, but this time we didn't have one family driving up metals, only to get cut off at the knees by a rules change. This time there are a lot of people buying and holding.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yeah & don't forget, for a gallon of gas...about $15.00 - $17.50.image >>

I'm afraid that is not remotely accurate.

In 1980, unleaded gas was $1.25 a gallon (Source). Adjusted for inflation (applying the same rate used above for silver and gold) works out to about $3.42 a gallon. >>

I was totally thinking the same thing. Nice catch there.
  • Options
    Now over 1615!
  • Options

<< <i>Now over 1615! >>

I used to thank only Ben Bernanke when gold jumped.

Now I have the US Congress to thank!

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    Now 1620+
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    and at a higher percentage increase than silverimage
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and at a higher percentage increase than silverimage >>

Yeah, it's more a flight to safety or maybe a short squeeze than a liquidity rush.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It ricocheted off that which appeared to be a glass ceiling with some velocity. Interesting times, these.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Copper, plat, and pall are not participating and went down. Note also that all the grains and oil headed down tonight as well.
    Gold bettered last week's high and then some...silver is still short of last Tuesday's high.

Most interesting flight to safety as the dollar, USTBonds, and S&P all headed down. Guess it was a flight to safety into gold, silver, and swiss franc. image
    Seems like there are some games being played here as gold and silver options get ready to expire on Tuesday plus starting a TBond auction week (Tu-Thurs).

roadrunner
  • Options
    A 1% rise in each will be sufficient if it holds through the night.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>1623 >>

That was a good year. I remember it well!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1623 >>

That was a good year. I remember it well!

image >>

Wait til we get to 1999!
  • Options
  • Options
    Making new highs this morning.
  • Options
    New highs this morning... 1640+
  • Options
    1650!
  • Options
    So much for the summer lull! image
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    So much for the dip after the debt deal.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Sure looks like that tin-foil hat of a man Jim Sinclair has reached his $1650 a couple months late but having predicted that in maybe 2002 to 2004 time frame is impressive.
  • Options
    I find it interesting that PM's are going up and the equities are going down.

Very different than the Fall and Winter of 2008 where stocks and PM's both fell together.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold surging and the Dow tanking.

Another rousing endorsement for the "spend more now and think about spending cuts later" plan approved by Congress yesterday and signed by the Dear Leader today.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, man...gold is loving this budget deal. You know, there's financial Armageddon and then there's financial Armageddon, just depends which side of the board you play from.
  • Options
    Let me be the first to congratulate our fine politicians. The markets weren't supposed to catch on, were they?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Fantastic show, oil down and s & p down but Gold and Silver up. Very nice to continue to see the divergence.
    They are comming into their own phase without the over expectation of tracking other equities or commodities.

NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    Zooming on up... 1670+, more upside ahead.
  • Options
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1700 is in range..... Friday could be the day. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    1680+
  • Options
    Is there any reason to watch the news anymore? The price of gold tells it like it is.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold surging and the Dow tanking.

Another rousing endorsement for the "spend more now and think about spending cuts later" plan approved by Congress yesterday and signed by the Dear Leader today. >>

Every time those idiots get on the tv the pm's fly and stocks drop. But don't worry trust us the economy has turned around and it's getting better! Clueless.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    Another Sinclair "angel" taken out at $1681. They are dropping like flies since the $1600 angel was retired. Next angel..... $1764.

roadrunner
  • Options
    It's been easy to feel giddy and confident about gold over the past ten years, but I'm starting to sense that the term parabolic is
    beginning to set in.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>It's been easy to feel giddy and confident about gold over the past ten years, but I'm starting to sense that the term parabolic is
    beginning to set in. >>

Wish I had about $20,000 in "dry powder" to put into the game right about now!