Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2010 Allen Ginter

Comments

• 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I am driving up to KY today to pick up a few boxes. A friend of mine got two and half cases and will sell me boxes at 100.00 per box.

I am kinda bummed about the Strasburg mini so far. I was w
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Should be picking up 5 boxes today with a Strasburg in every pack

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I can get hobby for $85 + tax. Is that a good price in comparison to other places in the country?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can get hobby for $85 + tax. Is that a good price in comparison to other places in the country? >>

that has always been a good price.

Yeah, it's SOP for me, but I've not seen anyone getting it for under $100 a box unless buying by the case. I thought SRP had possibly gone up, but I guess its just the Strasburg stuff.
  • KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some breaking news. Combined sources have said that maybe as much as 100 cases of Ginter have been broken with no Strausburg. Did topps forget to put him
    in packs? Did they only put him in late packs and retail packs? Chris Olds is supposed to have more news sometime today. >>

Wow, there are going to be some po's collectors who paid a 50% premium for hobby cases if that is the true. Blowout had hobby cases for $800 and something, but they jumped to $1200 after Strasburg cards were announced.
  • So, have you landed an Allen & Ginter Stephen Strasburg card yet?
    By Chris Olds
    6/30/2010 10:35:31 AM

COMMENTARY

There’s no question which cards would be hottest out of the gates as the fifth installment of Topps‘ popular Allen & Ginter baseball card set officially arrives today.

It’s the last-second addition of a Stephen Strasburg mini card — and a redemption card for an autograph.

Both were expected to be short-printed cards, at least the autograph, with the mini card being at least as tough to find as any of the other 350-plus one-per-pack inserts are. (Ever try building that set out of packs? It takes work.)

But, as it turns out, the mini is proving to be a much tougher find.

How tough?

We asked Brent Williams, an Arkansas-based dealer who specializes in breaking cases in bulk and selling sets, lots and other cards that he finds.

“Strasburg is NOT in Ginter,” he insisted early Wednesday morning.“I have done 25 cases — another guy 13, and another 15. Zero Strasburgs.

“This is just stupid. No autograph redemptions, either.”

That’s more than 7,000 packs opened by Williams alone — not one Strasburg.

Some Topps officials have stated to customers that the mini was not a Rip Card inclusion, nor was it a super short-print. However, by later Wednesday morning Williams said he had talked to even more dealers and collectors with a total surpassing 100 cases opened — that’s pushing 30,000 packs — and still no Strasburgs.

So, is it a collation problem? Or are the cards much, much more limited than previously believed? Could they be in retail packs still to come?

We’ll find out as once as a collector finds one. A message to Topps concerning the relative scarcity of the Strasburg was not returned earlier this week — before the hubbub on this card ignited as the empty mylar wrappers mounted Tuesday evening.

The unfortunate part of this whole equation is that for many collectors — particularly those not part of the prospecting crowd — this card would have been an easy buying/selling point for the product without being immensely rare or any tougher than any other mini card.

Like 2010 Bowman showed, the interest and demand for Strasburg cards right now isn’t limited to the rarest of the rare or just the autographed cards. The reasonable possibility of landing a standard Strasburg card has had plenty of collectors buying more packs and boxes than they typically would — and it has created a healthy secondary market for unopened retail boxes.

Allen & Ginter has its own pre-made collecting base — one with different buying and selling habits (typically a long-term hold instead of a sale) — one that hasn’t perhaps tapped into Strasburg-mania just yet. The madness wouldn’t die down if the card in this product were easily attainable — not yet.

While it’s compelling to consider the possibilities if Strasburg is a retail-only inclusion in Ginter, I’d think it to be less likely among the potential scenarios.

But, again, Topps isn’t talking — perhaps you guys, the collectors, will have something to say?
    imageimageimage
  • retail is supposed to be out 7/7. does that mean it will be in target, walmart, etc? what about blasters? thanks for the help.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Well this seems like a bait and switch and Topps has some splaining to do and most likely some refunds to issue.

Also the 2 box break by Beckett was very undewhelming so its not looking good for A&G this year.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Just got back to the office from lunch. I went down to the nearest hobby store where the owner bought just one case of the stuff. We had all reserved a box, so all of us were there to break. Needless to say the scene was horrific. Nothing to speak of. All of us pulled mostly unknown's for GU's and auto's. One guy had nothing in his box....no gu's, auto's, rips, or anything. AND...he only had a few mini's in there too. So the owner gave him some money back. I told him to hold onto his receipt, the case, and the packs. Write a letter to Topps sending them all the opended packs and the box number. I said more than likely you'll get some unknown Gu's or auto's. But something's better than nothing.

Frankly, I was dissappointed last year and now I am again this year. Breaking another box tomorrow...hopefully. So we'll see. All in all todays action was pretty boring.
    5 boxes containing all of the Strasburgs are sitting in the back seat of my car if anyone wants to come over and break in

Pulled a Strasburg RC at the shop. Contacting Beckett, then I'll have scans.
    Awesome! Congratulations...you're the million dollar winner!
    imageimage
    That is really cool man. If envy wasn't a sin I'd be envious.
  • 1st one pulled, to our knowledge. HUGE pull Congrats !!!!

I'd get it up asap ! Huge BIN/BO.

imageimageimage
  • stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 858 ✭✭
    Congrats image
    Sweet!!!!
    just opened up a case, no rip and a bunch of garbage. Looking for base minis in trade.

Thanks
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Bought my 1 box.

4 hits including on the POGO STICK world record holder, I know you envy me!!

I hope the Starburg is real because the poeple at blowout forums are bleeding from the ears saying it's a fake.
    You guys have traded with me for years, you know my character. I'm getting better scans for my listing.
  • BoB, I'm trying to stick up for you.

<< <i>You guys have traded with me for years, you know my character. I'm getting better scans for my listing. >>

As I stated over there you are one of the most respected members here.

PLEASE do something with Ebay so you can pre approve bidders
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Ross. Congrats on that pull!
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Finally got the image uploader to work...it wouldn't put a 2nd image up to save my life.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    3 on Ebay now. All have pretty bad centering.

Three offers already Ross? Wow.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Let us know how you do on it, Ross. Well done!
    IWTDMBII
    I see 3 offers on Ross' card.

1 on Ebay is auction format with a $275 bid now.
    Finally got a chance to open my other 2 boxes...4 hits in box two...0 hits in box 3. I have a dentist apt, but I'll do the run down when I get home.
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Here's my damage from two boxes. Nothing special, unless someone pervs on the Johnson relic. The two autos make up for the two Rodriguez GUs.

IWTDMBII
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    So far this stuff looks like Strasburg or bust. I guess Pujols is a good hit but I haven't seen anyother good hits besides the Strasburg mini.

Also there are 5 now on the bay one with a 15,999 buy it now.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    I've opened 3 packs so far and I still don't have a friggin Strasburg

Is it even worth buying a new box?
    I've pulled red ink twice...2007 Greg Louganis and 2008 Jeff Franceour...but that Pujol's is way better than anything I've seen out of this yet.
    Just finished my first box - no strasburgs

4 hits:
    Gordon Beckham bat
    Brian McCann jersey
    BJ Upton bat
    Josh Hamilton jersey

13 SPs
    2 baseball sketch - Crawford and Rollins

minis

1 No # Oswalt
    1 Celestial Stars - Cliff Lee
    1 Creatures Legends Myths - Peter Pan
    1 World's Wordsmiths - Marcus Aurelius
    2 Monsters Of The Mesozoic
    3 National Animals
    2 black - Hamels and Ordonez
    5 AG minis
    9 reg mins (3 SPs)

1 pack had 2 minis

box 2 hit s and scans from box 1

box 3 - just what I needed another redemption of the same guy

I could use any regular minis, also any Ryan Howard parallels. I have plenty of A&G and black minis for trade for whoever needs them. Also looking for
    autographs.

Thanks
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    As you guys are breaking.... if you get the Ben Sheets cards.... lemme know!
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
    Wow, nice pull by Parker95. He pulled this out of a box from Triple Cards in Plano, TX. Awesome!

2010 Allen & Ginter Strasburg Auto
    wow - great pull

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Ross, congrats - couldn't happen to a better guy!

Pumpsie (or is it Coot?), you know what to put aside. image

Craig, WOW! Congrats to you as well!

box 4 - wonder why Topps didn't put the RC logo on my Revolving Door rookie

Not bad for 2 boxes...my third box was hitless...hopefully Topps will hit me.

I thought that was a Pujol pube, but it looks like an unannounced mini insert? Nice!
    Is that Pujols mini signed by Bo Jackson?
    Craig's Strasburg took 27 minutes to get from 99 cents to $800!