Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pretty Decent Earthquake just now in San Diego

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm scared. Post a coin.

Quick!

peacockcoins

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. So that's what I felt here in Tucson.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A strong earthquake occurred at 3:40:39 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4, 2010.
    The magnitude 6.9 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SSW of Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.
    The hypocentral depth is 32 km (20 miles).

usgs

map

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (CNN) -- A magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck Baja California in northwestern Mexico on Sunday, shaking the ground at least as far as Los Angeles, California, the U.S. Geological Survey and witnesses reported.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6.9 off of Baja. Rattled and rolled here pretty good. We're about 35 miles north of San Diego.

peacockcoins

• Is California so used to earthquakes that a 6.9 does not even make a blip. Jeez, Chile was only an 8.8.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USGS is saying 7.0 centered in Baja, CA.
    Hope everyone faired wellimage
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is California so used to earthquakes that a 6.9 does not even make a blip. Jeez, Chile was only an 8.8. >>

Calif is used to quakes. However, a 6.9 will get your attention everytime.
  • OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    My Naturopath (for my lung cancer) lives in Chula Vista. Pat, my prayers are with you and the folks of So. Cal.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Pretty significant shaking here in SAN for about 30 seconds. But, no major damages, apparently.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

• << <i>Is California so used to earthquakes that a 6.9 does not even make a blip. Jeez, Chile was only an 8.8. >>

A 6.9 is only considered a medium size earthquake.
    The Richter Scale is a logarithmic scale, so a 8.8 is almost 20 times stronger than a 6.9.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in San Diego and that was one big quake and it absolutely did not scare me. It lasted a long time. Biggest one I have ever felt.
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    == PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

Region: BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
    Geographic coordinates: 32.093N, 115.249W
    Magnitude: 6.9 Ml
    Depth: 32 km
    Universal Time (UTC): 4 Apr 2010 22:40:39
    Time near the Epicenter: 4 Apr 2010 15:40:39
    Local standard time in your area: 4 Apr 2010 22:40:39

Location with respect to nearby cities:
    26 km (16 miles) SSW (211 degrees) of Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California, Mexico
    61 km (38 miles) SW (227 degrees) of San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, Mexico
    64 km (40 miles) SW (225 degrees) of San Luis, AZ
    173 km (108 miles) ESE (106 degrees) of Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    real time earthquake calling?

a 5.1 aftershock just hit north of the "other" big one in Imperial, CA
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Wow, 6.9 is a big one, I was in the San Fransisco area in 1989 when the 7.2 hit. I'm surprised there haven't been any damage reports; perhaps the epicenter is in the desert?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

<< <i>

<< <i>I live in San Diego and that was one big quake and it absolutely did not scare me. It lasted a long time. Biggest one I have ever felt. >>

So what do you owe your high degree of b@lls or manhood to? Coin collecting I assume! >>

I have lived in California all my life and earthquakes are no biggie. Tornados and Hurricanes seem way more destructive than quakes. We have neither in S D.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Escondido, just about 25 miles northeast of San Diego and it shook the crap out of us! Pictures fell off shelves, things slid, my remaining vintage Matchbox cars all zoomed off of their shelf, the pool looked like a washtub, it rolled and rolled and seemed to go on forever. You should have seen the look on the face of my boxer!imageimage
    Haven't felt any aftershocks, but at this point, I really don't want to
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Richter Scale is a logarithmic scale, so a 8.8 is almost 20 times stronger than a 6.9. >>

Ummmmm....
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
    I have felt many after shocks, but nothing like the 6.9 that lasted a very long time.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Richter Scale is a logarithmic scale, so a 8.8 is almost 20 times stronger than a 6.9. >>

Ummmmm.... >>

Almost 100x you mean.
    upgraded to 7.2
  • 5% chance of a 7.3 or stronger in the next couple of days. I hate to say it but there has been quite a few quakes here over the years, with no subsequent increase in magnitute. So the 5% chance looms large.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay safe..............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We just returned from Glamis about an hour before the earthquake hit. Glamis is 20 miles north of Mexicali where the quake was centered. We have friends still there and they said it shook very badly - luckily there's not much to fall on you but sand in Glamis!!! We still felt it quite strongly here in SoCal - it rolled for 30 seconds, then shook, then rolled some more.

Here's a coin that looks like it was struck during an earthquake! Off center, and boldly repunched date, all on one coin!

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I felt here in Phx. It was my first. Had one wake me up once but I've never rode one out. My ceiling fan was swaying about 6'' total.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    "Is California so used to earthquakes that a 6.9 does not even make a blip. Jeez, Chile was only an 8.8. "

On a log scale each point is 10X so 8.8 is 100X not 20X. I think you multiply not add 10X10 X Number.
    It was a shaker even 200 miles a way from epicenter.
    Trime
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    The '89 San Francisco quake was about that magnitude, and that was a rocker.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all the the So.Ca and SW members ... stay safe, be careful

Didn't feel anything here in Central CA, but I'm so okay with that!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I was golfing in Carlsbad, didn't feel it, nor did anyone else in my foresome, probably was walking. However, the Nuclear Power plant in San Clemente declared an "Unusual Event", the first level of emergency alertness, as required by procedures. It was felt there. No damage there however. --Jerry
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waves reported in my daughter's pool in Palm Springs.
    Water was running over the deck and down the side of the house.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

More like 1000 times.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

<< <i>On a log scale each point is 10X >>

On the logarithmic Richter scale each full point is about 30x the energy released (not necessarily the same as magnitude momentum, or shaking).
    Didn't feel a thing where we are in L.A., but we're on some of the more solid ground in the area (Mt. Washington).
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I felt it here in Carlsbad, North San Diego County CA
    Largest quake I've felt since 71' San Fernado quake
    bigger than 94' Northridge. Some minor cracks in tile grout.
    Yes, upgraded to 7.2 tons of after shocks 5.1,5.2,4.9, etc....
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

<< <i>We just returned from Glamis about an hour before the earthquake hit. Glamis is 20 miles north of Mexicali where the quake was centered. We have friends still there and they said it shook very badly - luckily there's not much to fall on you but sand in Glamis!!! We still felt it quite strongly here in SoCal - it rolled for 30 seconds, then shook, then rolled some more.

I'm surprised that in Glamis on Sunday afternoon there was anyone still standing stable enough to feel it.--Jerry
  • JoflaxJoflax Posts: 979
    Wow , a lot of San Diegans on this board.
    I was in the natural history museum in Balboa park , suddenly the T. Rex started rocking and rolling and we got ourselves out of there. Nothing like watching a 4 million year old creature doing an Elvis impersonation to get the adrenaline flowing!
    Buy the dips!!!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earthquakes can easily be as destructive as tornadoes or hurricanes. Depends on magnitude, depth and where it happens. I was in the 6.8 in Seattle some years back... That was no small shaker... lots of damage. I would not want to see anything like the Chile quake or even the Haiti quake. Those who belittle these events have never been through a big one. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Earthquakes can easily be as destructive as tornadoes or hurricanes. Depends on magnitude, depth and where it happens. I was in the 6.8 in Seattle some years back... That was no small shaker... lots of damage. I would not want to see anything like the Chile quake or even the Haiti quake. Those who belittle these events have never been through a big one. Cheers, RickO >>

Tornados and Hurricanes are much more common and most years do much more destruction. But don't tell anyone, we have enough people here in CA. --Jerry

<< <i>Earthquakes can easily be as destructive as tornadoes or hurricanes. Depends on magnitude, depth and where it happens. I was in the 6.8 in Seattle some years back... That was no small shaker... lots of damage. I would not want to see anything like the Chile quake or even the Haiti quake. Those who belittle these events have never been through a big one. Cheers, RickO >>

This Quake was BIGGER than Haiti. We have something here called construction codes (government regulation) which is a good thing. Only the BIG ONE will scare Californians.

• TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    I heard about this only late last night...used to live in SD for 16 years (still don't know why I moved...woman betrayals and "boring" 180-straight days of sunshine are my public reasons!). Lived through a couple of earth quakes during those years, so I'm sure many people are rattled. Thank God for not too much damage, I'll be praying that continues. God Bless!
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tornados and Hurricanes are much more common and most years do much more destruction. But don't tell anyone, we have enough people here in CA. --Jerry >>

Oh yeah, we may all flee there so we can live in a $500k 1500 sq ft fixer upper with no yard, two hour commutes, and a state gov't getting by on IOU's! But in all seriousness, I hope everyone has fared as well as possible in the areas affected by this latest quake.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Tornados and Hurricanes are much more common and most years do much more destruction. But don't tell anyone, we have enough people here in CA. --Jerry >>

Oh yeah, we may all flee there so we can live in a $500k 1500 sq ft fixer upper with no yard, two hour commutes, and a state gov't getting by on IOU's! But in all seriousness, I hope everyone has fared as well as possible in the areas affected by this latest quake. >>

Won't break down the game film you provide on "homes with no yards", but two hour commutes? In San Diego? Only if you live in San Diego and work in Los Angeles. We have traffic, to be sure, but slow down on the exaggerations.
    Encinitas to the Long Beach coin show only takes about an hour, twenty minutes and that's with a bit of traffic.

To be fair, I'm sure wherever it is you live others from the outside condemn it with equal mistruths, so I understand.

peacockcoins

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I felt it here in Carlsbad, North San Diego County CA
    Largest quake I've felt since 71' San Fernado quake
    bigger than 94' Northridge. Some minor cracks in tile grout.
    Yes, upgraded to 7.2 tons of after shocks 5.1,5.2,4.9, etc.... >>

I lived in Oxnard during the '71 San Fernando quake, and that one was the worst ones I've EVER felt! We were thrown out of bed and could barely walk down the hall without being tossed from wall to wall.

<< <i>I'm surprised that in Glamis on Sunday afternoon there was anyone still standing stable enough to feel it.--Jerry >>

Jerry, LOL! And normally you wouldn't be far off! But surprisingly, Glamis this weekend was more sparse and subdued than usual Easter weekends out there. We left there in the morning and it was almost like a ghost town, though we had two families stay through today.

And for those who like to make fun of California, yes we have our problems and faults, but if it was such an "undesirable" state to live in, why is it one of the most crowded? For us who live and thrive here, there are obviously a lot more positive aspects about living in California than negatives. I was born and raised here, though I did live in a few other states for a few years since my dad was in the Navy, and with all the quakes, traffic, high cost of living, government issues, etc., I wouldn't live anywhere else in the country, and I'm sure most Californians feel the same. But I'm equally sure many of you non-Californians feel the same way about your own state - and each state has its own + and - 's as well. So there really is no need to bash any state over another.
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And for those who like to make fun of California, yes we have our problems and faults... >>

And one of those is named the San Andreas... image

I lived in CA until 2000 and was at the ballgame when the Loma Prieta quake hit. All things considered, I'd much rather deal with earthquakes in a place with good building codes than tornadoes, hurricanes, and the like.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions

• << <i>Oh yeah, we may all flee there so we can live in a $500k 1500 sq ft fixer upper with no yard, . >>

Sorry, nothing that cheap in South Orange County.

• Finally got electricity back late last night. I am about 40 miles north of the Mexicali epicenter, and closer to the
    various epicenters of "sympathetic" tremors. More than 200 in last 24 hrs. The house is a mess inside. On the
    laptop since the desktop computers jumped off of the desks. I have lived here all of my life, and this was the
    worst quake I have felt. Probably because it was shallow and farther west than the San Andreas. This was most likely
    the Laguna Salada fault, which last did this in 1892 ( I have a coin fronm that year, but it is not easily
    reached right now, but pretend I did image

About 1/4 of the local businesses have glass damage. Vons. etc. closed, Last night with many gas stations without
    electricity to pump gas, the ones with it, had lines around the block with visitors trying to get back home. Since there is
    a small (5%) possibility of another in same range or larger, I am just clearing pathways, and will really clean up in'a few
    days. Will need to get some more dishes though!

I have a ding on my wrist from a falling bookcase incident, but doesn't appear broken. I had just seen my family and
    sister-in-law off to Disneyland 20 minutes earlier. They thought the SUV had lost a wheel, and they passed within
    the area of the fault, but continued safely. I would much rather have earthquakes than Tornadoes or Hurricanes, thank
    you very much !!! Ever see waves in wallboard? And before anyone asks, the book cases, clocks, etc. were tied to
    studs, but were ripped out or the wire snapped.

Alive and well in Imperial County, Ca.

Jim
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow , a lot of San Diegans on this board.
    I was in the natural history museum in Balboa park , suddenly the T. Rex started rocking and rolling and we got ourselves out of there. Nothing like watching a 4 million year old creature doing an Elvis impersonation to get the adrenaline flowing! >>

Uhhh, not to get off topic, but you need to read up on the T-rex a bit better. Extinct for 65.5 million years.

<< <i>

This Quake was BIGGER than Haiti. We have something here called construction codes (government regulation) which is a good thing. Only the BIG ONE will scare Californians. >>

Not quite that simple. Near the epicenter, the big one will cause damage even with the modern US building codes. But Sand and Clay doeen't transmit energy well so earthquake damage dissapates quickly with distance. The midwest, OTOH, has a good firm limestone bedrock that transmits energy well so if the big one hits the New Madrid Fault in SE MO, RYK will be shaking and rolling 100 miles north in St Louis.

--jerry
  • JoflaxJoflax Posts: 979

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow , a lot of San Diegans on this board.
    I was in the natural history museum in Balboa park , suddenly the T. Rex started rocking and rolling and we got ourselves out of there. Nothing like watching a 4 million year old creature doing an Elvis impersonation to get the adrenaline flowing! >>

Uhhh, not to get off topic, but you need to read up on the T-rex a bit better. Extinct for 65.5 million years. >>

My bad! We went there to find out how old it was, but did not stick around long enough to ask him/her. That building was REALLY shaking!image
    Buy the dips!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file