Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pretty Decent Earthquake just now in San Diego

2»

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Earthquakes can easily be as destructive as tornadoes or hurricanes. Depends on magnitude, depth and where it happens. I was in the 6.8 in Seattle some years back... That was no small shaker... lots of damage. I would not want to see anything like the Chile quake or even the Haiti quake. Those who belittle these events have never been through a big one. Cheers, RickO >>

This Quake was BIGGER than Haiti. We have something here called construction codes (government regulation) which is a good thing. Only the BIG ONE will scare Californians. >>

Not quite that simple. Near the epicenter, the big one will cause damage even with the modern US building codes. But Sand and Clay doeen't transmit energy well so earthquake damage dissapates quickly with distance. The midwest, OTOH, has a good firm limestone bedrock that transmits energy well so if the big one hits the New Madrid Fault in SE MO, RYK will be shaking and rolling 100 miles north in St Louis.

--jerry >>

True. Also they say that only about 500 people lived near the epicenter of the Mexico quake where in Haiti I think the number was about 2.83 million

The 2 deaths in Mexico reported is sad news but considering the size of the quake, we got off easy.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is huge geothermal activity down in that area of North Baja.
    Bubbling hot mud pools, hot springs etc. The crust is super thin in that part of world.
    Only a few miles thick in some parts. If you go to the USGS fault maps, which
    are updated hourly, you'll see that area has more consistant constant movement.
    I am talking before and after this 7.2
    Rode dirt bikes out in the Elsinore fault, San Jacinto fault and San Andreas fault
    zone areas for close to 30 years (mostly during the weekends) The tilted, faulted
    mud hills ( old sea bottom ) and the twisted fractured bed rock pushed up
    to form the current surrounding mountian ranges, the cinder cones, extinct ???? volcanoes
    make you feel like your on another planet when your out there!

Cheersimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was in the natural history museum in Balboa park , suddenly the T. Rex started rocking and rolling and we got ourselves out of there. Nothing like watching a 4 million year old creature doing an Elvis impersonation to get the adrenaline flowing! >>

Uhhh, not to get off topic, but you need to read up on the T-rex a bit better. Extinct for 65.5 million years. >>

At least he didn't say 6000 years....
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

• The population of Mexicali metro is estimated to be close to 1 million population. The colonias surrounding it ( mainly to the south) are
    sparsely populated, but it would be similar to a 7.2 with epicenter in eastern Alpine county area affecting San Diego.

If this quake had been on a weekday,
    rather an Easter Sunday, there would have been hundreds to thousands dead from the collapsed Civic parking structure and the
    downtown business college which also collapsed, both in Downtown Mexicali. Calexico water supply is going to be 40% for the next 3 months, and a large water storge structure in El Centro is being drained due to a collapse of the top.

Not trying to sensationalize it by any means, but there will be many without necessities for quite a while. We were exceedingly lucky,
    everything considered.

Thankfully

Jim

• << <i>I have lived in California all my life and earthquakes are no biggie. >>

I too have lived in CA all my life and only one time have I ever felt an earthquake and even then the older gentleman behind the counter didn't even notice. The TV swaying on the wall was the only sign that what I thought was feeling was an earthquake and not a mild buzz coming on.

Edit to quote: image >>

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad the board members are OK, and no offense meant, but if my AZ RE options are ever going to pay off...well you get my drift...(tectonic that is)!!!image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I was in a restaurant in the north county when it happened. The crowd cheered when it was over. I've lived in CA my entire life and have been through quite a few. They still scare the heck out of me every time.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> Please don't be lulled to sleep by our nation's current building codes. Now those buildings that were built by the great contractors 100 years ago up to 50 years ago, those contractors that knew and cared how to biuld and who believed that they were building something to last forever, well I will take anyone of those biulding that they built because those will stand the test of time. anything built since the '70's is crap and anything in the last 15 years is only meant to last about 10 years, or the FHA warranty which ever comes first. You see pride of workmanship motivated our great old contractors years ago not some Federal guideline and tax/fee.

We will know how are building work when we get the true big one, until then if I were you I would pray that you are lucky enough are to be living oe working in somethign built prior to 1970! >>

I can only speak for southern California in the last 10 years. You would not believe the amount of earthquake strapping, steel posts and beams, tie downs, and sheer walls that are required. Also, in South Orange County every new home has a post tension slab. Your thoughts for new construction are not correct for this area. I do agree workmanship was ten times better 50 years ago.

<< <i>

<< <i> Anyone who says earthquakes are no big deal isn't living in a LA LA land and if he is (Erroron coins this is directed toward you) then you have been in your car for most of the shaking like most Californians that commute. image >>

I live in San Diego NOT LA. LA is an old city with old structures. I was on concrete when the quake happened so I DID FEEL the full force of it and thought it was kinda cool, except for any loss of life. Earthquakes do scare some people, but almost everyone I spoke with seems like it is was BIg deal. Now a tornado, that would scare the heck out of me.

Back to eating my fruits and nuts image

And to keep this thread coin related .......

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was driving the family down I-19 to Phoenix when it hit. I had just put Eruption by Van Halen on from my iPod, so I didn't feel a thing! Glad I survived.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    I was sitting here on my computer in San Diego when I felt it. At first I thought there were two quakes. One small one followed by a larger one, but I guess it was continuous. I went to the living room as it was shaking (very calmly) and asked my family "if they felt an earthquake". As I said the previous quoted line, we all felt the trembling increase. Funny enough, it didn't feel too bad at my house. I lived in LA when the Northridge quake hit and that felt much worse.

On another note, I have got to get myself a San Diego commemorative seeing as I actually live in San Diego.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
    Just had 2 more small aftershocks 4.8 and 5.3 in the last few minutes.
  • RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>Just had 2 more small aftershocks 4.8 and 5.3 in the last few minutes. >>

Can you get an aftershock that long after (40 odd days later) a quake? Or is it a new quake?
    I am no geologist, but I heard that it is on the same fault line and that the aftershocks could last a couple of years.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Haha PCGS message board, where news is brought to you before the media...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Haha PCGS message board, where news is brought to you before the media... >>

Had a significant brush fire here in FL yesterday, due to the ongoing hot, dry conditions....
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just had 2 more small aftershocks 4.8 and 5.3 in the last few minutes. >>

Can you get an aftershock that long after (40 odd days later) a quake? Or is it a new quake? >>

You can get aftershocks for years, and even for more than a decade in some cases. They larger the quake, the longer the period you can get aftershocks.

They're still experiencing aftershocks of the 9.3 Indian Ocean earthquake more than 5 years later.

I'd expect there will be aftershocks from the recent 7.2 quake near San Diego for at least a couple of years.

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Haven't felt a thing in Minnesota.
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>Haven't felt a thing in Minnesota. >>

Doe's that mean that the Vikings are off for the rest of the summer?image
    just had another huge aftershock ............ 5.9
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just had another huge aftershock ............ 5.9 >>

Doesn't look like an aftershock, this one is just north of the border. And not really huge either.

I didn't feel it but heard the house creaking. Pool was hardly jostling about. Kids didn't even turn over in their beds.... --Jerry
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I felt the rolling a pretty long ways to the Northwest - near Lake Elsinore.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We felt it here pretty strong in Orange County. It wasn't jolting like the original quake, but rolled for quite a while.
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here in Upland, Ca.

Hoard the keys.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the amazing thing about earthquakes, where they frequently occur, there are still people there. Remember the EQs in Chile, hundreds shock the ground and the people are still there??

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported as an aftershock of the Easter big one - officially 5.7 with epicenter near Ocotillo. It certainly rolled me out of bed!
    and again just now, 5.7
    5.9 new quake
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5.7 just northwest of Borrego Springs. Felt as strong as the one on Easter Sunday, just not as long.

peacockcoins

Changed to a 5.4 in Borrego Springs and it is a New Quake
    Ho. Humm

<< <i>And the amazing thing about earthquakes, where they frequently occur, there are still people there. Remember the EQs in Chile, hundreds shock the ground and the people are still there??

Leo >>

Don't compare annual earthquake damage in ca to tornado damage in the midwest or hurricane damage in the se. You might end up moving here and we got enough people. Jerry
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ho. Humm >>

You say that now but what if at that exact moment a PCGS Grader was gingerly holding and inspecting one of your PR70 double Eagles for grading and it rocked out of his hands?

peacockcoins

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ho. Humm >>

You say that now but what if at that exact moment a PCGS Grader was gingerly holding and inspecting one of your PR70 double Eagles for grading and it rocked out of his hands? >>

Thank goodness for registered mail......mine won't get there till after the clean-up!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heat wave continues along the East coast. Post a hot coin!
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do people with back problems live in these areas?

And is there insurance that covers that?

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file