Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Talk about a fast (and profitable) flip

zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Added 10/23:
I'm not 100% sure this is the same seller, but I'm fairly sure. Either way someone is back at the same game. This seller is selling several problem coins that recently sold at heritage auctions cracked out raw:

http://shop.ebay.com/chicagobearslucia/m.html?_trkparms=65%3A16%7C66%3A1%7C39%3A1&rt=nc&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

I found this item (which they received positive feedback for) particularly sad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120624779403Sold Jan 10 2010:
http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1136&Lot_No=3478&src=pr

Now on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/1873-CC-US-Halves-Seated-Liberty-Half-Dollar_W0QQitemZ230451480964QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item35a7fa8984

Interesting story on how the coins were aquired.... something seems a bit off in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show me a fast and profitable flip, and I'll show you a "bigger fool" story.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Show me a fast and profitable flip, and I'll show you a "bigger fool" story. >>

Great, is it a better story than the one above?--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    link 1

">link 2

edited to fix link
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good eye zas107

This is a real problem, but not much can be done I don't think. The Seller's story is carefully worded, but I think it is obvious that they
    know the provenance

The winning bidder may try it again, but based on the heritage photo, it isn't going to get anything but another genie

As for a fast and profitable flip ... maybe so if they close the sale ... but frankly, I'd rather sleep at night.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think there was another owner involved between the Heritage sale and eBay sale.
    Heritage sale closed Jan 7 - already end of March.

If the purchasers plan was to crack and sell raw with story, why did they wait until now?

oops, just checked other things they are selling, now I think they have done this before and now have a new handle which started 2/24/10

probably takes a few months before the complaints and negs get started

I wonder if they actually have all these items, or if they photoshopped and cropped and running a scam right now?
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    That can't be the same coin. It says their Grandfather collected coins and they got it from him.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That can't be the same coin. It says their Grandfather collected coins and they got it from him. >>

My "grandpa's attic" never had a lot of cool stuff. I feel gypped.
  • Options

<< <i>That can't be the same coin. It says their Grandfather collected coins and they got it from him. >>

It's definitely the same coin.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They always are.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sent a letter of condolences... complete with link.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    How in the world did you ever tie the two coins together? Did you see it first on ebay, then search Heritage for past auctions of this coin and notice it was
    the same coin?

Yeah! I am a senior member now.
  • Options

<< <i>How in the world did you ever tie the two coins together? Did you see it first on ebay, then search Heritage for past auctions of this coin and notice it was
    the same coin? >>

Not that hard, really, if you are in the market for a high grade 1873-CC Seated Half (or better date high grade Seated Halves in general) and you frequently browse through all the usual sources. Eventually you start building a "mental database" of what you see and you might see the eBay coin and remember you saw it somewhere before. Then you go back to the Heritage archive, and lo and behold, *that* was where you saw it.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just sent a letter of condolences... complete with link. >>

Sweet!! image
    Please let us know what the reply is!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I'm amazed that I don't see the phrase "I know nothing about coins" in the description.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    What a scumbag.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    This'll be BnB hear in a short bit since he doesn't seem to have a real problem with doing this sort of thing.

Now that eBay has masked all the bidder names "for their own protection", folks can't point them to the information that actually will protect them.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't particularly care for what the person is doing but it is certainly
    legal for them to do so.The story bothers me more than anything.

If they had just bought the coin, cracked it out and put it on Ebay I don't really have a problem with it.
    I don't like what they're doing but if not for the story i see nothing misleading.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't particularly care for what the person is doing but it is certainly
    legal for them to do so.The story bothers me more than anything.

If they had just bought the coin, cracked it out and put it on Ebay I don't really have a problem with it.
    I don't like what they're doing but if not for the story i see nothing misleading. >>

Hmmmm.

Well, I guess if you're in to this kind of thing, you're probably right.

But, they've obviously "lied" about the coins "origins" as the evidence specifically shows that it DID NOT come from their grampa and from this, its only a short step to tie in "intentionally deceiving" potential buyers.

How would you like to buy a car that won't hold an alignment because of a previous wreck which results in it never holding an alignment? Not really a problem until you get tired of replacing the tires every year. I'll bet you'd wish that information had been disclosed. You probably wouldn't have bought the car but now its your problem.

What if you bought a house and then you're kids started getting sick because it used to be a meth lab but that information was never disclosed to you? No wait, there are laws against this.

Get what I mean jelly bean?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get exactly what you mean jelly bean. image

I said i didn't like what they were doing.
    Let me ask you this. If they had bought the coin, cracked it and put it on Ebay with no story to go with it how would that be?

If anyone would spend that much on a raw coin on Ebay they need help.
    Especially since you can tell from the pics the coin has issues.

I'm not taking up for them. I don't like it either.
    I'm just saying if they hadn't made up the story I see nothing at all misleading.

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Wow, all key date coins that are rawimage

All of the coins that seller is selling have problems, I guess most if not all the coins were cracked from Genuine holders?
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Maybe this is the coin version of Norman Bates where the person is the offspring by day and the grandfather by night. "Gramps" left me the coin, I swear.image
  • Options

<< <i>I get exactly what you mean jelly bean. image

I said i didn't like what they were doing.
    Let me ask you this. If they had bought the coin, cracked it and put it on Ebay with no story to go with it how would that be?

If anyone would spend that much on a raw coin on Ebay they need help.
    Especially since you can tell from the pics the coin has issues.

I'm not taking up for them. I don't like it either.
    I'm just saying if they hadn't made up the story I see nothing at all misleading. >>

Please, do not try or attempt to RATIONALIZE this activity.

Whether or not you think it's OK does not make it OK. It is deceptive and you know it.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The story of course bothers me too, kind of reminds me of Heritege's story huh description with that gold coin that was also genuined but they wanted to explain why it was genuined.

As for cracking it out and relisting it, what can you say about that, just the greater fools theory. If you aren't going to do your due diligence then you are going to get kicked int he rear form time to time. However it has happened where a genuine coin has gotten slabbed hust as a slabbed coin has gotten genuined, afterall grading is so subjective. >>

That's a tough comparison Realone... HA didn't crack that gold out of a genuine holder and claim it was their Granddad's coin.
  • Options

<< <i>The story of course bothers me too, kind of reminds me of Heritege's story huh description with that gold coin that was also genuined but they wanted to explain why it was genuined.

As for cracking it out and relisting it, what can you say about that, just the greater fools theory. If you aren't going to do your due diligence then you are going to get kicked int he rear form time to time. However it has happened where a genuine coin has gotten slabbed hust as a slabbed coin has gotten genuined, afterall grading is so subjective. >>

This is not the impression I got from you in this thread Al.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Many of the coins listed on Ebay and dealer websites come from Heritage Auctions. That's why I buy the majority of my coins from Heritage. Why pay a middle man or deal with crap like this?
  • Options
    Check out the sellers 1854-O (Huge O)

That coin used to be in an NCS XF Details holder as "Improperly Cleaned" a long time ago, you can see at this this:

LINK

Take a look at it now in his current listing at this:

LINK

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW - great detective work.

My grandfathers had some cool stuff in their attics, if you're into farm implements. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Check out the sellers 1854-O (Huge O)

That coin used to be in an NCS XF Details holder as "Improperly Cleaned" a long time ago, you can see at this this:

LINK

LINK >>

Not only the same coin, but they AT'd the crud out of it. image
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another little tidbit... their location says Michigan but the phone number in the listing has an IL area code.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>

LINK

LINK >>

Not only the same coin, but they AT'd the crud out of it. image >>

Look at the gouges on the obverse between stars 10-11 and at 13. Then on the reverse the gouge under the F... plus a lot of other marks. I think it's the same coin.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Just for arguments sake, the following could be a plausible scenario...

The coins were from their Father and Grandfather; they sent this coin and perhaps others in to Heritage to have them sold. Heritage sent the coin to PCGS and it came back Genuine and Heritage went ahead and put it in an auction anyway because the novice seller knew no better. The seller was not getting what they felt was enough money for the coin and did not agree that it had an issue so they bought it back. When they got the coin back, they cracked it out of the holder and decided to try E-bay.

I am not saying that is what happened; just that there is always another possibility besides the worst thing someone can think of.

For those who don't think this can happen at Heritage, they would be wrong.

I submitted several coins to be sold at Heritage a number of years ago and asked that they go to PCGS for grading, only to find that Heritage sent them to ANACS and they came back as cleaned (these were not high grade coins but lower circulated rarer die marriages).

Heritage put them in a sale and I wound up having to buy them back because I did not do the due diligence in having a signed agreement with Heritage stipulating my exact needs and wants. This cost me more money than I care to admit, however I learned a valuable lesson and this will never happen again.

On the other hand, there are many scumbag people selling coins and taking advantage of unknowledgeable collectors. The lesson here is to become so knowledgeable in the items you collect that you will be your best protection against getting screwed...instead of relying on some plastic and another persons opinion.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Just for arguments sake, the following could be a plausible scenario...

The coins were from their Father and Grandfather; they sent this coin and perhaps others in to Heritage to have them sold. Heritage sent the coin to PCGS and it came back Genuine and Heritage went ahead and put it in an auction anyway because the novice seller knew no better. The seller was not getting what they felt was enough money for the coin and did not agree that it had an issue so they bought it back. When they got the coin back, they cracked it out of the holder and decided to try E-bay.

I am not saying that is what happened; just that there is always another possibility besides the worst thing someone can think of.

I submitted several coins to be sold at Heritage a number of years ago and asked that they go to PCGS for grading, only to find that Heritage sent them to ANACS and they came back as cleaned (these were not high grade coins but lower circulated rarer die marriages).

Heritage put them in a sale and I wound up having to buy them back because I did not do the due diligence in having a signed agreement with Heritage stipulating my exact needs and wants. This cost me more money than I care to admit, however I learned a valuable lesson and this will never happen again.

On the other hand, there are many scumbag people selling coins and taking advantage of unknowledgeable collectors. The lesson here is to become so knowledgeable in the items you collect that you will be your best protection against getting screwed...instead of relying on some plastic and another persons opinion.

QN >>

Yes, but even that wouldn't explain how the now-AT 1854-O Quarter being offered on Ebay by the same seller looked very different when it was sold by Heritage very recently.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

LINK

LINK >>

What gets me is why in the hell would someone try to AT this coin???? Makes no sense and the coin now looks 10 times worse than it did in the NCS holder. I definitely wouldn't try to AT a $2,000 + coin even if I know what the heck I was doing. image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just for arguments sake, the following could be a plausible scenario...

QN >>

Yes, but even that wouldn't explain how the now-AT 1854-O Quarter being offered on Ebay by the same seller looked very different when it was sold by Heritage very recently. >>

Grandpop was a coin doctor until he passed away in an explosion of his chemistry lab?
  • Options

<< <i>Grandpop was a coin doctor until he passed away in an explosion of his chemistry lab? >>

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    looks like it could be a loss on the 1854-O huge O
  • Options
    the seated half is now up to 5500 dollars.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bidding looks suspious to me. The same bidder took it from 520 to 1750 with nobody bidding in between?????
  • Options

<< <i>Bidding looks suspious to me. The same bidder took it from 520 to 1750 with nobody bidding in between????? >>

And look at that same bidder's recent history and how much of it has been with "Seller 1" here...

Something smells awfully bad here...
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image WOW! How does these two sleep at nightimage I would really have a hard time bring myself to pay this kind of money for a raw coin!

A picture of a raw coin....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Oh WTH.

Let em sell it for a huge premium!

It's certainly no skin off our backs right?

And who knows, maybe their story is true. Maybe, just maybe grampa bought the Seated Quarter and AT'ed the hell out of it and then passed on!

Or, or, maybe gramps didn't really pass on! I don't see anywhere that says he or his son passed on, just "These coins are part of a collection of coins and stamps left to me by my father and accumulated by my Grandfather and he when they collected."

Heck, they coulda "left em on the front porch" for all we know. image

Matter of fact, it appears that must be the case. Pop and Grandpa no longer collect coins. They buy em from Heritage, crack em out, and leave for the kids to sell! Goawd, why didn't I think of that earlier!

Gawd their must be a hundred different ways to rationalize out this obviously unethical thievry!

Buyer Beware, Caveat Emptor, Due Diligence and a bazillion other cautionary sayings.

I find it puzzling when the obvious is presented yet there are those which rationalize it out so that it all looks OK.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    This hobby has passionate collectors and it has more than its share of greedy sellers trying to make a buck anyway they can.

I really wonder about bidders sometimes. I need some of these same bidders to over bid on my pcgs/ngc auctions/
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's shocking, really. Many dozens of bidders willing to spend thousands of dollars on raw coins based on so-so pictures and a lame story. And why? What drives such lunacy?

Are these auctions "reportable" offenses?
    Lance.
  • Options
    Somebody is either shilling this auction or bidding like this one's an MS coin.

$6300 with 18 mins to go.

I can smell the burnt toast from here and there's not a single thing anybody can do.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    In my church going days it would have been called a "sin of omission," at best it is deceptive.
  • Options
    $6600 closing by an eBay newbie.

I suppose we should watch for the submission?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Grandpop was a coin doctor until he passed away in an explosion of his chemistry lab? >>

image >>

I'm sorry, but that's not funny....

image it's hilarious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file