Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Talk about a fast (and profitable) flip

2»

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an eBay seller I used to follow closely who sold cracked-out problem coins bought from Heritage all the time, using the "I comb estate sales all over New York...." explanation. Also sold some fakes. Made auctions private after numerous questions/reports from interested parties. Still scamming along, AFAIK.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they seem to be doing well at this

dad and grandad no longer collect, are buyers for the eBay selling operationimage
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    We'll see if her gets paid
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Anybody tell the sucker? I mean buyer?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Anybody tell the sucker? I mean buyer? >>

Do you know the Ebay ID of the buyer?
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500

<< <i>

Do you know the Ebay ID of the buyer? >>

No, but Ebay does! These jerk sellers listed a phone number. Maybe someone (other than me, of course image ) should give them a polite phone call, informing them that Ebay WILL be made aware of this?!?
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No, but Ebay does! These jerk sellers listed a phone number. Maybe someone (other than me, of course image ) should give them a polite phone call, informing them that Ebay WILL be made aware of this?!? >>

My point was, that at the present time, even if someone wanted to contact the buyer, I don't know how they would do so. I already wrote to the seller, and not surprisingly, did not receive a reply.
  • Options
    Mark, if we all report it to Ebay, do you think that THEY might do anything? Worth a try?

Gary
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    It's sad to see the results of a PCGS Genuine slab in a major auction compared to the sale of a raw coin. Hopefully this is an anomaly, as I would expect a Genuine slab to add value, not decrease it.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark, if we all report it to Ebay, do you think that THEY might do anything? Worth a try? >>

Gary, I don't think Ebay will do anything about a coin cracked out of a problem holder and sold as uncertified. And unfortunately, even in the case of the other coin (which was AT'd after it appeared in the Heritage sale) offered by the same seller, there is no concrete proof that he was the buyer from Heritage or the person who AT'd it. Not that I don't think the seller did it, but from Ebay's point of view, there is no proof of any wrongdoing.
  • Options
    Mark, I believe that Ebay needs an real online auction competitor. Does anybody have the where with all to do this (time, energy and $)?

Gary
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I think the moral is buy the coins but not the coin stories.

Ed
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Anyone buying 4-figure raw coins on e-bay is taking a big risk, period.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well, here's my take, classic shill bidding even to the extent of completing sales and paying fvf's just to relist and bump higher...I'd guess the shill bidder is francispixie (29)...
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need another 3-legged buffalo storyimage
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I get exactly what you mean jelly bean. image

I said i didn't like what they were doing.
    Let me ask you this. If they had bought the coin, cracked it and put it on Ebay with no story to go with it how would that be?

If anyone would spend that much on a raw coin on Ebay they need help.
    Especially since you can tell from the pics the coin has issues.

I'm not taking up for them. I don't like it either.
    I'm just saying if they hadn't made up the story I see nothing at all misleading. >>

Please, do not try or attempt to RATIONALIZE this activity.

Whether or not you think it's OK does not make it OK. It is deceptive and you know it. >>

Lee, I completely agree with you!!!! They are crooks plain and simple and should be prosecuted! Maybe the buyer with one feedback will scam them. Funny how this thread's toned has changed from when I posted a similar story of Marc Langston cracking a graded 58 SLQ purchased on Teletrade and relisting on Ebay as in his 'professional' opinion it is a 63 or 64 without ever mentioning that he cracked it from a 58 holder. His deception is a little more subtle - but still deceptive and wrong.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No, but Ebay does! These jerk sellers listed a phone number. Maybe someone (other than me, of course image ) should give them a polite phone call, informing them that Ebay WILL be made aware of this?!? >>

I already called the seller and threatened Ebay notification. I am sure they were shaking in their boots.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

My point was, that at the present time, even if someone wanted to contact the buyer, I don't know how they would do so. I already wrote to the seller, and not surprisingly, did not receive a reply. >>

Neither does Marc Langston when you call him too.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Strange, other seem to have a profitable flip, my buy and sell

have a great tendency to FLOP!image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

One way you could do this is wait until they post feedback and then click their feedback and contact them that way. I'll be watching.
  • Options

<< <i>

One way you could do this is wait until they post feedback and then click their feedback and contact them that way. I'll be watching. >>

Bump
  • Options

<< <i>link 1

">link 2

edited to fix link >>

I'm not sure why, but it appears that Ebay removed the listing.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>link 1

">link 2

edited to fix link >>

I'm not sure why, but it appears that Ebay removed the listing.image >>

I bet the seller did something within Ebay to cover his tracks. Still, if the buyer posts feedback you can bet I will contact him with the Heritage link.
  • Options

There are two new feedbacks left by a buyer. Anyone know where the origins of the 1911-D quarter Eagle and the 1797 bust dollar and I will send them a note.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There was an eBay seller I used to follow closely who sold cracked-out problem coins bought from Heritage all the time, using the "I comb estate sales all over New York...." explanation. Also sold some fakes. Made auctions private after numerous questions/reports from interested parties. Still scamming along, AFAIK. >>

Chris Schuck.......Kingofcoins, Seatedkeydates, many many ebay id's

Search the forum for his name, you will find many threads.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    I'm not 100% sure this is the same seller, but I'm fairly sure. Either way someone is back at the same game. This seller is selling several problem coins that recently sold at heritage auctions cracked out raw:

http://shop.ebay.com/chicagobearslucia/m.html?_trkparms=65%3A16%7C66%3A1%7C39%3A1&amp;rt=nc&amp;_ipg=25&amp;_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1513&amp;_pgn=1

I found this item (which they received positive feedback for) particularly sad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120624779403
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a recent example:

Just sold via heritage:
    http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1144&Lot_No=11468

Same coin raw:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1843-o-10-u-s-gold-coin-/120633583671?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1c16526837 >>

So where is the dead grandfather story? Without him there is absolutely nothing wrong with this auction. Where and when the seller acquired the coin is totally irrelevant to the current sale.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Ebay Link So should we assume all there auctions are problem coins? I would, heritage
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I looked at the gold $2.50 description and he stated it was left to me. It sure had a lot of scratches on the rev, to be a mint coin.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is a recent example:

Just sold via heritage:
    http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1144&Lot_No=11468

Same coin raw:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1843-o-10-u-s-gold-coin-/120633583671?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1c16526837 >>

So where is the dead grandfather story? Without him there is absolutely nothing wrong with this auction. Where and when the seller acquired the coin is totally irrelevant to the current sale. >>

Here is a coin he said was left to him:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1857-s-san-francisco-2-50-u-s-gold-coin-quarter-eagle-/120634333881?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1c165ddab9

Here is the same coin that sold september 26 of this year:
    http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1144&Lot_No=11183

It is plausible this was left to him? Yes. But I doubt it, I'm pretty sure its the same seller as before.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Here is a link to one of his happy buyers of 2 $3,000 coins.

He bid activity is 90% of this persons auctions--Shill?

Text

Joe
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have discovered a method of finding winning bidders on auctions that have closed on eBay

seems to work unless a 'private listing' auction

you have to be an underbidder - bid low and early if it is a scam

when auction completed - do an advance search by bidder of your ebay handle
    include closed auctions and even if not high bidder

will show items of all you bid on in last month - seller= closing prices= and if closed, winner

the seller chicagobearslucia is not the seller of items this thread was started about are they?
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Is the sellers 1799 Dollar authentic? At first glance it looks wrong to me, but I don't know enough about the series.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell about the 1799. It almost looks like it has a notch in the R in LIBERTY. That would indicate a well made fake. But, it probably is a cleaned but authentic coin. Looks like the field may have been smoothed to remove damage or grafitti.
  • Options
    Check his recent feedbackimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file