Home Precious Metals
Options

I'm thinking this week gold will move!!

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just a hunch....and no, I haven't sold my position in gold yet.

I'm thinking this week it will have a strong move to the upside.image

Currently at $1104 US/oz.
"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that you are correct on this one.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I sure hope not! Im selling 9oz on ebay that ends this coming Thursday. Wont have access to those funds till probably the following Wednesday so that I can buy 5-8oz on Thursday. I really hope I dont get caught dead in the water while waiting for those funds!image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sure hope not! Im selling 9oz on ebay that ends this coming Thursday. Wont have access to those funds till probably the following Wednesday so that I can buy 5-8oz on Thursday. I really hope I dont get caught dead in the water while waiting for those funds!image >>

I learnt a long time ago to never lose sleep over the metals prices.
    que sera, sera!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    The Captn is right, you know. The biggest mistake is to sit on your hands and not do what you intended to do because of some transient price fluctuation. The trend is up, that is all you need to remember when you are buying or selling. The world doesn't stop because of a trend.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Several years ago when gold was in the $255-260 range, we had a guy come in, who had bought a large quantity before, and say that he wanted to buy a million dollars worth of maple leafs when gold got down to $250!

Wonderful, right?

Well, gold kept ticking up and down, and got as low as $252, but never hit $250. We even offered to cut our commission (hey--we'd have made money) so that he would pay the same as though gold were at $250, but he had his mind stuck on the thought that he was going to buy gold at $250!!

Well, of course, it never did hit $250, and the guy never bought, at least not from us. Maybe he put his tail between his legs and went somewhere else at $300. Who knows?

What would a million dollars worth of gold bought at $252 be worth today?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, look for movement on Wednesday.
  • Options
    "What would a million dollars worth of gold bought at $252 be worth today?"

Although I realize the rhetorical nature of this question Tom, I couldnt help but to plug in the numbers!

At the current ask of $1106.90, that 1 million worth of $252 gold would be worth exactly $4,392,460.32 !

• Options
    At the current ask of $1106.90, that 1 million worth of $252 gold would be worth exactly $4,392,460.32 !

And in the last half-hour, gold has dropped a bit, so his gold is now only worth $4,382,142.70 - a loss of over $10 Grand. Should he have sold 30 minutes ago?

I'm teasing.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    GOLD? MOVING? Did it leave a forwarding address?image
  • Options
    Don't forget that he would have paid a premium over the $252 back then, but even so he would be at around 4X today.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm going to get my haircut this week.........MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I thought it moved every day?image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, look for movement on Wednesday. >>

Day late in your forecast image ... nice move today though (Tuesday)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BADA-BOOM!
    BADA-BING!

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>Don't forget that he would have paid a premium over the $252 back then, but even so he would be at around 4X today.

image >>

Nice up move in gold so far this morning. Sure surprised me.

Anyway, folks can always play shoulda, coulda, woulda. For the most part it is a useless game. There are opportunities every year, every month, where in hindsight a person could have done very well, if they had the prices in advance. Unfortunately, no one gets the prices in advance. Trading and investing is done in real time, not with hindsight goggles.

That's why I always say that for the average person, buying and selling in steady and slow manner is the way to go. Timing would be great if it could be done. For most folks, timing is an illusion and a dream, and many that attempt timing miss out on the bigger moves and only get the smaller moves. There was a time when gold $400 was too HIGH for many to buy. Same story at gold $700, etc.

Will it be the same at gold $1100? No one knows. In the big picture, after ten consecutive up years for gold, and a quadrupling in price, a lot of fish have bitten. Once enough fish are in the barrel, the invisible hand of the market pulls the plug and prices go down. It is the way all markets work.
  • Options
    <<Whap!!>> There it is folks, a solid line-drive to left center field. Looks like a base hit!!image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i sure do hope it moves. id like to unload some stuff. im wonder when silver is gonna move again. its been stagnet. ( supply and demand i reckon )
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up about $14 so far today. Any particular reason why it's moving up?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>i sure do hope it moves. id like to unload some stuff. im wonder when silver is gonna move again. its been stagnet. ( supply and demand i reckon ) >>

stagnet?

I'm getting a mental image of a smoker starring Jack Webb..........

• Options
    Even though there has been some recent currency decoupling it seems that the weak dollar is part of the story. That and gold as an alt currency play........like the wind it could change at anytime......long term trend remains intact...............up

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Up about $14 so far today. Any particular reason why it's moving up? >>

Because the Fed is about to announce that 8000 is the Magic Number!!!!!!!

• Options
    Is gold going up or is it a case of the dollar going down? Isn't an ounce of gold today the same as an ounce of gold 2000 years ago?

• Options
    I don't think there was a Fed or the dollar 2000 years ago. I may be mistakenimage

To your point gold is measured in how much of an individual currency it takes to buy it..........but you already know that

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>Is gold going up or is it a case of the dollar going down? Isn't an ounce of gold today the same as an ounce of gold 2000 years ago? >>

No. There is actually FAR more "above ground" gold today than there was 2,000 years ago. Therefore gold is even more plentiful today than it was 2,000 years ago. Just goes to show how badly U.S. dollars deteriorate.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is gold going up or is it a case of the dollar going down? Isn't an ounce of gold today the same as an ounce of gold 2000 years ago? >>

No. There is actually FAR more "above ground" gold today than there was 2,000 years ago. Therefore gold is even more plentiful today than it was 2,000 years ago. Just goes to show how badly U.S. dollars deteriorate. >>

Which has increased faster in the last 2000 years---the number of ounces of gold above ground or the number of people on the planet?

• Options
    << Is gold going up or is it a case of the dollar going down? Isn't an ounce of gold today the same as an ounce of gold 2000 years ago? >>
    <<No. There is actually FAR more "above ground" gold today than there was 2,000 years ago. Therefore gold is even more plentiful today than it was 2,000 years ago. Just goes to show how badly U.S. dollars deteriorate. >>
    <<Which has increased faster in the last 2000 years---the number of ounces of gold above ground or the number of people on the planet?>>

These and all your questions are answered everyday the market is open. MJ
  • Options
    <<Whap!!>> There it is folks, a solid line-drive to left center field. Looks like a base hit!!

He's rounding first, fans. Here comes the left fielder, a momentary stumble - I don't think that he can get the ball to second in time.......it may be a double...........

Wait a minute, folks...........in the last few minutes, gold has taken another unbelievable nosedive...........the left fielder has thrown an unbelievably quick and accurate throw to the 2nd baseman..................looks like more of the same, folks...........I'm going down to get me a beer...............come & get me if anything interesting happens today.......................image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I think the batter broke a leg rounding first and got thrown out.image
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    third base coach flashed the runner on second the steal sign...OH NO, he's gonna break...the pitcher looks to second and then to the catcher but it's too late, the third base coach shows slide to the runner...and he dives, he's
  • Options
    "Can't nobody here play this game?"

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Can't nobody here play this game?" >>

The game is a stalemate. Why play at all?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Can't nobody here play this game?" >>

The game is a stalemate. Why play at all? >>

I think they called the game for lack of interest.
  • Options
    DE, sorry if I got off track. Didn't mean to hijack. Looks like gold is stagnating for the week, after a promising start.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm thinking this week it will have a strong move >>

You were partially correct with your seance
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Still low from March 3rd high

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm thinking this week it will have a strong move >>

You were partially correct with your seance
    image >>

Indications are increasing for a substantial move in coming weeks. Im afraid that move may be at odds to the OP's thinking.

• Options
    India just raised interest rates. How much will that bump/dump Au?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    AAAAAAAAAA-

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAKE ER DOWN!!!!!!!!! DIVE!!!! DIVE!!!!! DIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Ohhhh, almost a perfect storm brewing for me!!!! Sold 9oz last night, plan to buy 10oz on Weds. I might actually time this thing correctly for the 1st time in my life!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    OK Gecko, you can have your little dip but please put things back where they were when you are finishedimage--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

imageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Let the games begin, or continue.
  • Options

<< <i>imageimage >>

Ahh, the famous "Fishhook Curve"
  • Options
    I still think it's going to finish up from where it started the week.

Not way up like I thought, but up.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definite movement this week. First nearly $30 up, then $25 down. Net gain, about $5. It went up, but it feels like it went "down" to start a new downtrend. Maybe that's because the dollar turned around this week after an 18 day downtrend. After 4 weeks or so of liquidity flowing into the market, it now appears to be leaving.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Does the passing of healthcare make for a weaker dollar..... thus the uptrend of gold?
  • Options

<< <i>Does the passing of healthcare make for a weaker dollar..... thus the uptrend of gold? >>

More importantly, what would non-passage mean. Seems to me a lot of "high level" folks are riding on this bill.

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does the passing of healthcare make for a weaker dollar..... thus the uptrend of gold? >>

This bill will create red ink as far as the eye can see... Expect something along the lines of the similar plan passed in Massachusetts a few years ago, maybe worse:

In Massachusetts, "Health care costs continue to rise much faster than the national average. Since 2006, total state health care spending has increased by 28 percent. Insurance premiums have increased by 8–10 percent per year, nearly double the national average."

"When the Massachusetts reforms first became law, they were projected to cost about $1.56 billion per year in total, with the largest component, the Commonwealth Care subsidies, costing roughly $725 million per year. As it turns out, those estimates were not even
    close. By mid 2008, the state was projecting that Commonwealth Care would cost $869 million." Link. And up from there....

We are already running $1.4 trillion deficits... this bill will only make things worse. This is going to be bad for the dollar, economy, etc. but good for PMs as people realize the debt being incurred will not be repaid except in inflated money.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    If Congress passes the health care bill, health care costs will go up.
    If Congress does not pass the health care bill, Health care costs will go up.

A major part of the problem is defensive medicine. A few months ago I went into the emergency room with what I thought was a certain potentially serious problem. They ran every possible test on me that they could, out of concern that if they did not run the test and the problem that test would have found was there I would have sued them.

Turned out to be an allergic reaction to something I ate that I was not previously allergic to. No harm, no foul, but my insurance company gets nicked for over $10G's.

Illinois had a law that limited medical malpractice awards to reasonable limits. The Supreme Court recently overturned it. I guess they can't stand any restrictions on their brother lawyers' bloated fees.

MOO

TD