Home Precious Metals

Thoughts about 100 gram gold bars?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
Specifically the Pamp high polish bars. At 100 grams, would they be called a hecto (as opposed to a kilo)?

At 1/10th the price of a kilo bar, they seem like they'd satisfy the heft and touchability factor of the kilos without the cost and fear of messing up a proof finish bar or numismatic coin.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭
    It's very pretty. If the price was right, and I had the cash, I'd go for it. That being said, I'd rather have 100 grams in coin bullion as they are more interesting to look at.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • As an owner of a 100g gold bar, I can verify that the "heft factor" is satisfying. However, I feel funny telling that to a guy who owns a 10oz bar.image
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought you had a degaussa 100g, Gecko. The thing about the 10 oz is that it's in what amounts to a slab--the distribution of the weight is over a much larger area. It's missing some umph. And the fact that it's a proof finish means that it's not something I can take out of its shell to play with.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer PAMP bars, in any PM form or weight, over any other bar or bullion coin. PAMP bars will always demand a premium over melt when either buying or selling.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • It is a degussa, but a raw 100g bar is a raw 100g bar when it comes to the "feel" of it. I disagree with Opa about premiums. The degussa will fetch a higher premium ONLY because of its relative scarcity to the pamp bars. If I had $100,000 to spend right now, I could buy as many pamp 100's as I wanted before I went to bed. But I doubt I could find a single degussa 100 before the weekend was over, leaving me with about $96,500 left over.
    Luckily (or rather by design) my 10 oz bar is Pamp. But I wonder if the 100 gram bars are discounted since they're not an even ounce weight. I can't imagine a discount would be much, but anything would be a drag when you go to sell.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Depends on your "audience" Weiss. Most of the world actually prefers weights in grams. Ounce is still the most popular here though.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I love those Pamps, if I had an extra 3k+ lying around, I'd love to get one.

About premiums, local coin stores don't give premiums on these......the biggest premiums are on gold eagles, maples, and krugs. Other brands like these get spot or minus spot.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • I have two, one for each hand !
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is a degussa, but a raw 100g bar is a raw 100g bar when it comes to the "feel" of it. I disagree with Opa about premiums. The degussa will fetch a higher premium ONLY because of its relative scarcity to the pamp bars. If I had $100,000 to spend right now, I could buy as many pamp 100's as I wanted before I went to bed. But I doubt I could find a single degussa 100 before the weekend was over, leaving me with about $96,500 left over. >>

Gecko, I agree that the 100 gram Degussa bar is more elusive and in the States will carry a higher premium than the PAMP, but that may also be true with other "rare" 100 g overseas produced bars. BTW the link is for one currently for sale, you just need to look overseas where they are not that uncommon. I just happen to like PAMP and if you read my post, it never indicated that PAMP has the highest premium for gold bars.

mkman123 If your local BM store only offers you spot for PAMP, then I suggest you stop dealing with them & sell them to APMEX who will indeed buy them back at above spot.

100 g degussa gold
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We stock the Pamp 100 gram bars, and sell quite a few of them. We buy them back at the same discount per ounce as any other bar. There is no liquidity problem with them.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>We stock the Pamp 100 gram bars, and sell quite a few of them. We buy them back at the same discount per ounce as any other bar. There is no liquidity problem with them.
    TD >>

Good to know, Captn! Any feelings about those with the certificate vs. those bought and sold "raw"?

--Severian the Lame
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We stock the Pamp 100 gram bars, and sell quite a few of them. We buy them back at the same discount per ounce as any other bar. There is no liquidity problem with them.
    TD >>

Good to know, Captn! Any feelings about those with the certificate vs. those bought and sold "raw"?

image >>

Having the certificate is better, but we will buy them without at the same price.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • At 100 grams, would they be called a hecto (as opposed to a kilo)?

A hecto would be correct, but I've never heard it used that way.

I like 10 deka better. image
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are neat but I don't like having so much cash in one unit. For me personally, 1oz is the largest I'd go with gold bar or coin. Also, I like my pm bars to have have the weight in ounces and grams. Not too many out there that do that but they can be found.

• << <i>At 100 grams, would they be called a hecto (as opposed to a kilo)?

A hecto would be correct, but I've never heard it used that way.

I like 10 deka better. image >>

Being of Greek descent, I like 10 deka better too! (deka is 10 in greek) Planning a trip to Greece in September,watching their current economic situation closely. Also am going to check out their PM market.