Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on dad's 1877-S Trade dollar

dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK,

I already know my opinion, and have told him about it. Dad bought this from Ebay for $300, by the way...

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scrubbed and dipped.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Harshly cleaned to say the least.
  • Options

<< <i>Scrubbed and dipped. >>

That about sums it up.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Harshly cleaned to say the least. >>

Too bad,,,,, as it appears to have been a very nice coin before the cleaning image

Still a desireable coin IMHO but probably worth only a 1/3 - 1/2 of the price paid.
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can return it for a refund, do so.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Very nice woodgraining. image

<< <i><< Harshly cleaned to say the least. >> >>

image Definitely try to get a refund.
    Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Did it come with a free tube of KY?
  • Options
    choice AU details. Cleaned.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth melt in that condition.
    Either return it or make it a pocet piece for the next ten years or so.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's too bad... if there's a return policy I'd excercise it..
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

<< <i>Worth melt in that condition.
    Either return it or make it a pocet piece for the next ten years or so.
    image >>

I will gladly pay you melt for any Trade dollars you have in any condition. It is worth the same a a high Au net grade and a low EF price wise but the EF in PCGS plastic might be more liquid.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ouch.

how you type a combination of moan/Aaaack/aawwww all at once?
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ouch.

how you type a combination of moan/Aaaack/aawwww all at once? >>

would that be a "macaw"? image
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

the coin may be really better than it looks in that photo. The reverse looks more like die polish lines than cleaning marks. But, I think you could find a much better example for the money.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Authentic, but terribly abused. I agree that if it's not too late to return, he should do so. If it is too late to return, he has made a down payment on his tuition to my old Alma Mater....the School of Hard Knocks!

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options

<< <i>the coin may be really better than it looks in that photo. The reverse looks more like die polish lines than cleaning marks. But, I think you could find a much better example for the money. >>

No, it's really that bad. Thanks for all the replies. I just want the poor guy to get his money back. Another $100 would buy a nice PCGS AU example.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I'm with the return for a refund group. image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's a link to the auction?Unless the seller listed it as harshly cleaned,your dad should open up a claim if it's not too late.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    ouch!
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    hey i think i bid on that auction!image

$300 is a good deal...
  • Options

<< <i>Where's a link to the auction?Unless the seller listed it as harshly cleaned,your dad should open up a claim if it's not too late. >>

Here is the link, and it was $239.50 that he paid (He told me $300, which was incorrect). But he should still get a refund, I concur completely!

Ebay listing link
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Why do people clean nice coins? image
    AU details
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Seller has 7 day return policy, USE IT !!!!!!
    Trade $'s
  • Options

<< <i>Seller has 7 day return policy, USE IT !!!!!! >>

Check out the seller's answer to a question about a recent sale that resulted in a negative.image

Check center pic, then question at bottom
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options

<< <i> Q: This coin even says UNCIRCULATED on the Box That means it isn't a PROOF COIN. Just some friendly info Thanks Dale
    A: In the back says 1 OZ fine Silver, So this is a proof silver coin.
    >>

WOW!!! In the IT world, we refer to this type as an "ID10T"
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have been a steal at $239 without those harsh hairlines. I do not know your father's collection or his goals, but I do know if you want a choice AU 55/58 trade dollar with meat and luster like this one in a major TPG holder, he will probably have to pony up >$500 for it.....for many people, sometimes compromise is the name of the game. That's why there is still a market for 'problem coins'.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been cleaned with lots of hairlines, but I know from experience that some photos make the hairlines look worse than they are. The coin would get into a “genuine” holder if it were to be sent in for grading, which I would not recommend, because the value of the piece does not merit doing that. It does have a lot of detail however.

I’d say that the coin is probably worth $125 or so. I base this wholesale price on the Gray Sheet which lists Fine to VF Trade Dollars in that range. EF bid is $150, I'd say that's all a dealer could hope to get for it at a show.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    No sticker. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin in the auction is different from the one he received... or are my eyes going?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Not in a million years would I buy a Trade Dollar on eBay unless it was certified. But that's just me.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    What does your Dad think about it?
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Detail-wise, it's a slider. As a coin, it's a numismatic abortion. I really dislike people who ruin coins like this one.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TomB nailed it ...... nothing further needed. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    At least it's real.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong.....but looking at the auction pics and then your pics, it almost looks like your dad cleaned it, especially the reverse. Is that even remotely possible?
    Becky
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too think the photo is exaggerating the hairlines. And the fact that the hairlines do not cross devices leads me to believe they are from die polish, not harsh cleaning.

OTOH, I do think the coin has been dipped and otherwise mistreated. I would return it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Those 2 reverse pics in the auction are 2 different coins.1 has dark streaks across the reverse and the other does not.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    This ebayer sells toner and computer stuff- sure he knows coins

send it back as fast as you can ask for every penny back..

• Options
    UPDATE:

Dad did return the coin. The hair lines are hidden on the sellers low resolution photos. Dad absolutely would never clean a coin. As it turns out, the seller is a 23 year old girl that just got out of prison. I learned this simply by doing a Google search.
    The Ebay seller goes by "LUCKYONE408" and lives in San Jose, CA. I found her Myspace page, also using the name LUCKYONE $408$ and living in San Jose, CA. I think the odds of two people using that handle in the same city are pretty remote.
    She pretends to be an illiterate oriental person with email responses such as the following:

"Are you high now, the coin I put on auction that described on listing,what is the reason you want to return, you bid is the contract, you also cause my other bider damage, I think you buy from some where else,and I am not guarantee that you can grade anyway.

- luckyone408"

And...

"1/8/10 I have received the return coin from you here again,you send me different coin like last time,this is used coin with clean, my coin is UNC coin, you fell you did send me the wrong coin,you can resent it again, but if you wanr this used coin back,please send me $10 for postage, Thank you."

And...

" have 2 same coin is 1877 S UNC for sale the samtime, other party is happy, the last time you send back the 1854 fake chinese coin demand for money, and I know what you are., every email I sent will be sent to EBAY for recorded."

At any rate, he has filed a complaint with Ebay. This girl is definitely taking him for a ride.

Here is the sellers photo, and 2 of my photos. One with lighting to subdue the harsh hairlines, one to highlight them. They are all the same coin.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, it makes you want to run out and buy a bunch of raw 19th century coins off Ebay.

Hope your dad gets his money back.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    zoobzoob Posts: 3 ✭✭
  • Options
    i bought 2 1877cc tarde dolars from this seller both clearly counterfiets when i asked to return them he said no he would not honor his 7 day return policy
  • Options
    sorry to bother you guys but i have just bought 2 1877cc trade dollars from this seller too when they arrived they clearly were fakes i called him immediatly i told him i wanted to return him he didnt answer 3 of mu emails then he wrote back that i had to prove they were fakes i just snet them to anacs who of course just graded them both n9 or not authentic by the threads i am reading about him it sounds like he wont let me return the 2 coins should i notify ebay now before the coins return in hand from anacs(just spent another 107$ in shipping and grading the counterfiet coins) or shoudl i jut sned them back to him?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file