Options

Capped Bust Quarters, MEGA THREAD?!

Comments

• Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Ya! I bet that is rare.

If you have one to sell...I'm a buyer! image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woo Hoo! 1838's - post 'em if ya got 'em!

Great Thread Billet7! image

JH
  • Options
    I agree, great thread.

Where do we go from here? Any bust quarter collectors also collect seated?

Tom
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, and thank you all for participating. I think we could pull off a seated quarter thread as well, but we might have to stick to the basic set and major varieties...If we did all the varieties it would never end...no seriously, don't they discover a new variety every few months! It will have to wait until I sock a few more away in my collection. If no one else starts one within six months...I will.

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure would like to see this thread going on, so Ill add a date that seems to be a forum favorite.

imageimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    Just keepin' this thread alive.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just keepin' this thread alive. >>

Thanks for posting to the thread today. I would not have seen it if you hadn't done so. I love it! I wish I had been on the forum when you started it so I could have participated.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just keepin' this thread alive. >>

Thanks for posting to the thread today. I would not have seen it if you hadn't done so. I love it! I wish I had been on the forum when you started it so I could have participated. >>

What do you have? Feel free to post them now.

Tom
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess I should go buy something so I can participate.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    Here are the small size:
    B2R2
    B1R1
    B1R2
    B3R3
    B5R2
    B7R2
    B2R2
    B1R3
    B1R1

Let me know if die marriages are wrong image
  • Options
    And the large size

B2R2
    B4R2
    B3R3
    B1R1
  • Options
    Nice! Thanks for posting. I see you were able to get a hold of a nice 1832. Well done!
  • Options
    Eagleguy - that is one cool looking quarter.

Billet7 - I did get an 1832 from the same person that sold me the 1805. I have some of the easy ones now it is going to get a little more difficult and pricey.
  • Options
    I just like this thread.
  • Options
    i do too
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only Bust Quarter. 1827 B-2 Original.

imageimage
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>My only Bust Quarter. 1827 B-2 Original.

imageimage >>

OMG. Ill trade you my first born....
  • Options
    WHAT!!!?? You've had THAT coin this entire time and haven't posted it here???!!! Wow...I'm...speachless....
  • Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful rare quarter, and Andy's piece has a very nice pedigree as well. A good choice if you're only going to own one bust quarter. It's almost kinda like a pattern?

1Two Bits
    Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Options
    BaseballAbsBaseballAbs Posts: 2,621
    Andy"s quarter is stupid! image What you just had that at the bottom of your collection and forgot about it? Nice, I will sell Quartercollector for it.image
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    Thread's over folks! Turn off the lights on the way out...

Seriously Andy - WOW!

JH
  • Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    I was so excited with Andy's 1827 B-2 I hit the send button without my "WOW THAT IS A FANTASTIC QUARTER" Andy!

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    Have you figured out the underdate on the host coin yet?
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    Have you figured out the underdate on the host coin yet?

I haven't, but other people (smarter than me) claim it's an 1806/5.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>Have you figured out the underdate on the host coin yet?

I haven't, but other people (smarter than me) claim it's an 1806/5. >>

I don't think those people are any smarter than you...because they are wrong. image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    I don't think those people are any smarter than you...because they are wrong.

They can be wrong more than once and still be smarter than me! Anyway, what do you think it is and how sure are you?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    And the gauntlet has been thrown!
  • Options
    I too would be interested in hearing what the host coin is. I have not had the chance to see it in person.....

• Options
    Prior to the publishing of my book, I was granted the privilege of examining both of the 1827 B-2 EDS (Essay) Bust Quarters that are struck over cut down Draped Bust quarters that were used for planchets.

Andy (Mr. Eureka) was kind enough to allow PCGS to crack out his example for better examination and the taking of pictures by PCGS and myself, before re-slabbing the coin. John Dannreuther and myself examined the coin and discussed what we found and theories about how the coin was produced. (However, John gave me no credit when he later wrote about the coin in an article for PCGS.)

I spent a considerable amount of time both then and in later examinations of the coin trying to determine what die marriage the under-type planchet was prior to being converted into the 1827 B-2.

Given that there is absolutely no evidence remaining of the date on the coin (planchet), I was able to determine what obverse and reverse dies were involved. The original date was obliterated by star 2 & star 3, but the distance between star 7 and the head of liberty was visible and this was used to determine which die it was. On the reverse, the arrowheads and the bottom of several letters of UNITED were visible enough to be able to match this up with a reverse. (For those who do not know, the arrow heads and upper shafts were individually engraved for each die during the 1804 – 1807 time period, therefore they are all unique in configuration.)

The obverse was the 1805 Obverse 4 and the reverse was reverse C, used to strike the 1805 B-4 die marriage, but these exact dies were also used to strike the 1806/5 B-1 die marriage.

Again, due to the fact that no date is visible, we do not know which die marriage the underlying coin was. For some reason, perhaps for promotion alone, Dannreuther says it was the 1806/5 B-1. I guess that just made it a more interesting story, but I will state again, it could be the 1805 B-4 or the 1806/5 B-1, we may never know for sure.

So, in answer to the question, I believe it is either 1805 B-4 or the 1806/5 B-1, but there is no way to say it is one or the other.

On a side note: I also examined the other example free of the slab and was unable to determine what the under-type die marriage was. Andy’s example shows more of the remaining detail from the under-type than on that example.

QN

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

That is just plum interesting QN, thanks for sharing your comments.

That is an awesome coin Andy.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Very informative! Thanks for sharing.

I would love to see an overlay......if possible.

• Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    Early United States Quarters are among the most interesting series of 18th-19th century coinage. There's different sizes, overdates, die cracks & cuds, restrikes, etc.

Back in the 1980's when I was first starting to study these pieces, I found that information was lacking and mis-information was plentiful. Honest, and accurate research, needed to be presented, and that's when I started to compile historical background for each year. I even found out new information about Joseph J. Mickley, which Dave Bowers published in a Rare Coin Review article. He also presented my research on the 1827/3/2 quarters a few years later in the same publication. Thanks to his generosity, those articles created an extended interest in the series.

Now, thanks to my friends, Steve Tompkins (Quarternut) and Rory Rea (1Bustcollector), et al (you too, Brad), there are now two wonderful reference books on early quarters for all numismatists to learn about and discover all of the ins and outs of this fascinating series.

With both of these needed books coming out within a 5 year timeframe, together, there is now enough accurate background information to last a lifetime.

Thank you my friends!

PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    Here, Here to that!image
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here, Here to that!image >>

Ill second that! I was also luck enough to see and hear Quarternut speak about the bogo bust coins at the EAC this month, very informative!
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    Although we would all like to see our name in lights when a significant article or book is written I don't necessarily feel (or hope) it is always done intentionally when your name does not appear. Could it be a bit of a selfish thing? Maybe. Then again, maybe not at all. Sometimes people forget, and then sometimes people feel they have done the bulk of the material while they search out "experts in the field" to get verification on their conclusions. Should that mean having your name in credits? It all depends. I am learning that we are all called upon from time to time to help out in one way or another-for free. Knowing that my name gets credited properly used to be so very important to me and now I am happy to help out and it it a nice surprise if my name appears. Don't get me wrong, I do want to be credited but sharing is what makes the world go around a little easier. I'm sure I have forgotton to list some individuals names in our new quarter book but hopefully they understand................

Should JD have done more? Would we have done the same? I myself was thrilled to assist. I have a significant amount of emails concerning the 1827 project with him. Without his help could we have accomplished all that we did? I felt he had his conclusions and directions and I assisted the best way I could have. I am not here to complain, but to say thank you for giving me the opportunity to work with you JD. You see, I have stood on the shoulders Giants quite a bit lately...........like the last 18 years.

Karl,
    I want to thank you for everything you have done to assist with my special needs throughout the years. Please say hi to your significant other for me. I appreciate the kind words you wrote of us and our book!

Rory

• Options
    Just keeping trying to keep this thread from going to the bottom of the pile.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own 3 CBQ's but only have images of 2.
    You people will have to help on the varity.

Here they come, and the first one is a gem..............image

• Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641
    Only a couple of years late on this thread, but this one should be added 1836 B-5:
    (Currently at PCGS for grading)image
    Golf time!!
  • Options
    Raybo, that is a very nice solid Xf 1835

Nice strike.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Raybo, that is a very nice solid XF 1835.

Nice strike. >>

Thanks BBA, should I send'er in for grading?
    I actually like the 21. image
  • Options
    Yes, the 21 is cool, you might get an FA2 on that. It's fun to see them that low grade. I would for sure send in that 1835 to PCGS. You will for sure get XF. They get real tough to find higher grade and more money. Unless you want an ugly one.
  • Options

<< <i>Only a couple of years late on this thread, but this one should be added 1836 B-5:
    (Currently at PCGS for grading)image
    image >>

Gab I still cant believe you found her on ebay. Your find is a mega U Suck.
  • Options
    Adding my newest purchases since this thread last surfaced...

1820 B4

1821 B1

1822 B1

JH
  • Options
    Some nice coins there EagleGuy, I'm a big fan of the 1822!
  • Options
    Thanks Simon! It took me a while to find an 1822 that I liked. Here's another one I photographed just yesterday.

1831 B1

JH
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    When is this thread going to die? Here is an 1825/3 B-2 NGC 58 CAC CBQ.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file