Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Capped Bust Quarters, MEGA THREAD?!

Comments

• Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    But you still have th pic to share, right?

That's all I meant... lol

Sure!

1820 B-5 MS-67...finest known.

imageimage

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    So who is posting the 1821 B-1?

Let's go!

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Steve I only have the B3 in the 1821. Its waiting!
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Sorry Steve I only have the B3 in the 1821. Its waiting! >>

Me too, if we don't jump to the B4 b4 ( image ) I can post!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry Steve I only have the B3 in the 1821. Its waiting! >>

Me too, if we don't jump to the B4 b4 ( image ) I can post! >>

Lets not jump, we will find them all.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    I can do them all...just don't want to monopolize the thread too much...

QN

• Options

<< <i>I can do them all...just don't want to monopolize the thread too much...

QN >>

I thought we didimage I was going to stop at the small size as someone mentioned they wanted to get in at that point.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    Fine...

Here is the 1821 B-1.

imageimage

And the 1821 B-2.

imageimage

NEXT!

QN

• Options
    B3
    imageimageimage
    OGH VF20
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    B-4image
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options

<< <i>B-4image >>

Can I see the reverse of that coin?

QN

• Options
    B3 and B4 are almost the same.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    B-4

imageimage
  • Options
    image The reverse of my B-4, but now that Quarternut has asked to see the reverse i am going to go look it up just to see if its correctly a B-4.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    I think that's the B-3 brother.
  • Options

<< <i>I think that's the B-3 brother. >>

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    Let me quess the left of the berry olive leaf is not touching the boarder. Who sold me this coin?

• Options

<< <i>Let me quess the left olive leaf is not touching the boarder. Who sold me this coin? >>

Thats correct!
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    It has a large 5 in the denomination instead of the small 5. The reverses are different, but it's subtle.
  • Options

<< <i>B3 and B4 are almost the same. >>

They share the same obverse, but the reverses are different.

The reason I am asking Seth to let us see the reverse of his coin is to confirm that it is a B-4. The later die stage with the crack through Star-12 is almost always found on the B-3. The B-4's that show this die crack are much rarer to find.

What took place was that the combination of dies that make up a B-3 were struck first and then the reverse die was taken out of the press to be lapped after a die clash. Then a new reverse die was put into the press and they continued striking coins, however now the combination of dies created the B-4.

They continued to strike B-4's until the obverse die developed a light crack from the rim, through Star-12, and to the portrait. Then the reverse die was taken out and the original B-3 reverse die was put back into the press, now making more B-3’s. This is what is known as a die remarriage.

QN

• Options
    It's actually a die line or die gouge that connects the leaf. EDITED...All B-4's have it (my mistake.)
  • Options
    And I see that we are all in agreement that it really was a B-3!

Yes, these reverse dies are very similar and the best place to see the difference is the 3rd olive leaf to the left of the denomination has die lines that go to the rim.

QN

• Options

<< <i>It's actually a die crack that connects the leaf and the dentils, and not all of them do it as far as I know. >>

Nope! Sorry, that is wrong...

They are die lines and all B-4's have them. This reverse die was also used on the 1820 B-2 and B-5 die marriages as well.

QN

• Options
    We do have the B4 here though. Dont look at me for the B5 or that R8 B6image
    Ok guys Im out for the night!
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    1821 B-5

imageimage

QN

• Options
    Don't look at me! I don't have a B-6!!!
  • Options
    Here is a close up of the die lines @ the olive leaf to the rim...

1821 B-6 is one that I don't have either, although I was offered one at one time. The price was a bit staggering to say the least! image

I do have pictures though...

QN

• Options
    Anyhow thanks for the help with the B-3. I may have never checked it. Anyone have the R-8 B-6. That would be interesting to see. Wow! to the above!
  • Options
    Steve, you might as well post the pics, I seriously doubt anyone else has it.
  • Options
    Anyhow thanks for the help with the B-3. I may have never checked it.

I was just hoping it was the rare die stage, for your sake...image

QN

• Options
  • Options
    I was hoping it was the later die state, You almost had me excited, but i figured it would be more likely that It was labeled wrong.
  • Options
    1821 B-6 EX-PITTMAN Finest Known GEM UNC

imageimage

QN

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey...I got one of those!

QN

• Options
    ya a nicer one!
  • Options
    Now if you throw up a 23 i am going to be more jealous.
  • Options
    Sure...here is one I own...

QN

Edited to add a real 1823 B-1 per request!

imageimage

The coin does have it's issues, but it is a real 1823. It also has an illustrious pedigree that I have traced back to 1873. It was the first 1823 Bust Quarter ever pictured in an auction catalog. It was plated in the Haseltine sale of the Chubbuck collection sold on 2/25/1873.

QN

• Options
    Thats my dream coin. I plan on getting one some day. I especially love the reverse with the broken arrows on that coin.
  • Options
    image XF45
  • Options
    image B1
  • Options
    B2

imageimage
  • Options
    B3

imageimage
  • Options
    Now, who's got the 1826 image
  • Options

<< <i>Now, who's got the 1826 image >>

I think you better edit the last two that you posted first....

Seems that there is a slight problem!

QN

• Options
    Ya see, that's what happens when you just wake up and start posting sh!t image
  • Options
    Ya see, that's what happens when you just wake up and start posting sh!t

At least they were both 1825's! image

QN

• Options

<< <i>Ya see, that's what happens when you just wake up and start posting sh!t

At least they were both 1825's! image

QN >>

Touche'
  • Options
    100! image

Hey Stone, you might enjoy looking at this thread on the 25's. I don't remember you posting to it.

1825 Thread

QN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file