Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Capped Bust Quarters, MEGA THREAD?!

Comments

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Hey QN...you want to post a REAL 1823? image
  • Options
    Someone needs to post one with the big die cud on the left side of the reverse. Love that coin! Steve?
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    OK...anyone with a pic of an 1827 should post it quickly, because we will be moving along to the 1828.
  • Options
    We dont have the 1825 B-3 yet! hint hint! Stone posted two B-2's.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    B3
    imageimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    B-3
    imageimage
  • Options
    You beat me to it!

Stone has a B-3, I think he just had them tagged wrong. It's even the late die state with the awesome CUD...did you cherrypick that one Stone???

Edited to add...I guess both the 1825s you have are CUDS.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>You beat me to it!

Stone has a B-3, I think he just had them tagged wrong. It's even the late die state with the awesome CUD...did you cherrypick that one Stone???

Edited to add...I guess both the 1825s you have are CUDS. >>

(Long story short) - I accidentally cherried the B-3, as I didn't realize it had the Cud until after I bought it.
    The B-2 was purchased for about 2x regular price guide value because of the Cud image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You beat me to it!

Edited to add...I guess both the 1825s you have are CUDS. >>

(Long story short) - I accidentally cherried the B-3, as I didn't realize it had the Cud until after I bought it.
    The B-2 was purchased for about 2x regular price guide value because of the Cud image >>

Of all the dumb luck! That never happens to me! You know it's like an R-6 in that die state! In the dealers defense...it's actually hidden quite well on your coin, I could see someone overlooking it (in this case two someones...you and the dealer.)

I have a brother who unknowingly bought an R-5 DBH. It's very nice too!
  • Options
    I didn't see the cud on stones coin at first glance i was just paying attention to the size of the 5. That is a cool coin!... I sold that DBH.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Here is the 1825 B-3 with the retained cud...

1825 B-3 LDS RETAINED CUD AT UNITED (not yet shifted)

1825 B-3 LDS RETAINED CUD AT UNITED (now shifted)

And the same die stage with more wear...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options

<< <i>Hey QN...you want to post a REAL 1823? image >>

I was wondering when someone would notice that! image

I will add a real one to my previous post.

QN

P.S. I will also add an 1827, so don't hurry along to 1828 just yet!

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    You know, this really isn't fair. I don't have Steve's book yet (I think I'm getting it for Christmas), so I don't know exactly what varieties I have yet!!

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    I knew the 3 on that 1823 quarter was not right. Looked like a bust half
  • Options

<< <i>You know, this really isn't fair. I don't have Steve's book yet (I think I'm getting it for Christmas), so I don't know exactly what varieties I have yet!! >>

Ya and if you get real excited like me you would want the leather bound book as well.
  • Options

<< <i>You know, this really isn't fair. I don't have Steve's book yet (I think I'm getting it for Christmas), so I don't know exactly what varieties I have yet!! >>

If you post pictures I am sure we can tell you what you have. image

QN

• Options
    Oh no worries...I have 3 of my newestPs out being photographed and when they're ready I'll post them in all their glory! image

• Options
    OK, here is an 1827. Let's see if anyone can tell me exactly what we have here...

imageimage

QN

• Options

<< <i>OK, here is an 1827. Let's see if anyone can tell me exactly what we have here... >>

Looks like one of the restrikes...
  • Options

Sure you do!

1815 is only 1 variety, B-1
    1818 is B-4 as listed on your set
    1822 isn't the 25/50, so it's a B-1
    1825 is a B-2 as per your description.

The only one you don't know is your 1834...post pics and we will tell you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OK, here is an 1827. Let's see if anyone can tell me exactly what we have here... >>

Looks like one of the restrikes... >>

It is a little deeper than that...

QN

• Options
    Yup, clearly the same silver restrike that you picture in your book. DS-2...sold back in 2005? One of the two "non-indent" restrikes.
  • Options
    Non-essay piece. Rusted but not indented.
  • Options

<< <i>Non-essay piece. Rusted but not indented. >>

Keep digging!

QN

• Options

<< <i>Yup, clearly the same silver restrike that you picture in your book. DS-2...sold back in 2005? One of the two "non-indent" restrikes. >>

It is not the one plated in my book...

QN

• Options
    I am stumped!
  • Options

<< <i>I am stumped! >>

oohhh the suspense! image

• Options
    Wow, it's not. I just assumed since they had the same surface look that they must be the same, but toning spots are different.
  • Options
    Its the one sold at HA in August?
  • Options
    Is it a silver plated copper restrike?
  • Options

<< <i>Sure you do!

1815 is only 1 variety, B-1
    1818 is B-4 as listed on your set
    1822 isn't the 25/50, so it's a B-1
    1825 is a B-2 as per your description.

The only one you don't know is your 1834...post pics and we will tell you. >>

Hmm...okay I guess I do know. And I have an 1825 B-1. So yeah...apparently the only I don't know is the 1834. By nature, I'm not a variety guy, so I never think that in-depth about them (much like when I called QN's 1827 a restrike. Well, duh, it's a restrike, but that's about as far as I can go. No more digging for me!). Apparently, I should change my tune.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it a silver plated copper restrike? >>

We have a winner!image

QN

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    cool thread. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it a silver plated copper restrike? >>

We have a winner!image

QN >>

Is this an old photo, or has it surfaced again? I thought the whereabouts were unknown. Last sold in 1990 by Stacks.
  • Options
    It sold @ the 2009 FUN Heritage sale of the Lemus pattern collection, and yes, it had not sold since 1990...

QN

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep missing a chance to post to this thread. Is it time to post a 1828 B-1?

JH
  • Options
    I got the 1828 B-2...

imageimage

QN

• Options
    And the 1828 B-3...

imageimage

However, anyone else who has one feel free to post it as well...

QN

• Options
    Since QuarterNut has almost all the varieties, and is just itching to post new ones, posting out of order
    like what I'm doing now, is acceptable! image

Here's another B-1, so I can participate image
    imageimage
  • Options
    well if that's the case...i will post my B-1 as well! image

imageimage

QN

• Options
    Here's the B-4

imageimage
  • Options
    imageimage B-4 I would post my B-3 but i think we have all seen it enough plus quarternut beat me.
  • Options
    I hate it when i get beat on the draw. Small diameters now!
  • Options

<< <i> B-4 I would post my B-3 but i think we have all seen it enough plus quarternut beat me. >>

It can never hurt to have more 1828 B-3's...post away!

QN

• Options
    image You got it! The cool side.
  • Options
    Small diameters now!

I will have to let you guys go at it for a while, I don't have all of my picture files here at work...when you get to 1831 B-7 though, I will post again.

QN

• Options
    I have my B-3 ready image
  • Options
    I have the B-5, but nothing until then.
  • Options
    imageimage Not the nicest one around but it appears to be the only B-1 i have. If anyone wants to upgrade feel free.
  • Options
    imageimageB-2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file