Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is killing my interest in helping newbies here

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was genuinely excited to see a new forum member interested in collecting 19th century gold coins. On the flip side, I was equally disappointed to see that the new member was feigning interest just to flip some coins on the BST. image >>

Yes...few things suck the enthusiasm out of helping people like being used.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was genuinely excited to see a new forum member interested in collecting 19th century gold coins. On the flip side, I was equally disappointed to see that the new member was feigning interest just to flip some coins on the BST.

I remember that gal a little over a year ago who would come here and get all the info for her ebay listings. Never contributed. But then, I also remember those GREAT threads by Darth50, who contributed and received, and even if he never comes back, the threads were absolute classics.

I like to help anyone as long as I have the info. Unfortunately sometimes, I like to debate too. Still, I have a number of friends and mentors here, and I value the advice of many of the members here.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I try to help out where I can though I'm usually on the receiving end of needing help and am always most grateful for those who've helped me to get where I am at in my level of Numismaknowledge.

I also am likely guilty of selling something I've previously asked for comments on... but it's usually to raise funds so I can buy something else that I will likely need more knowledge on image

That said though... the example given of FEC was a good one and yes it's frustrating but how can you separate the wheat from the chaff on a public internet forum?
  • Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭
    I hate to see the tone of this thread. As a relative newbie myself - I joined this forum in Jan. 09, I love the wealth of information available here. I have learned an awful lot from the sharing of more knowledgable members here over the past year - and for a year or so before that when I was a lurker. Many of us are here to learn. I have personally never sold a coin on BST or anywhere else for that matter. I guess I am a collector - not a seller. I have often thought about putting some of my coins on here for grade opinions so I can determine whether to have them graded. Frankly, I have only had 2 coins graded in the past and I hate to part with $ just for grading.

Sorry about the vent here but please don't make this forum any less than what it already is. While most of you don't know me or other posters who don't post often, I do feel like I know many of you and have learned to trust valued opinions. This is a great place to learn and share. Let's keep it that way even if a few abuse the privilege.
  • Options
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    We've had the same problem over at VAMWorld.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    ok, you're cranky. but that doesn't mean there aren't people masquerading as newbies just to sell something.

on the other hand, there are some genuine newbies out there. over time, they'll vette (does that mean the car?) themselves out, like FEC did.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

........image....image to all!!! newbies too!!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    How to respond to this?

Everyone collects differently. Perhaps the person RYK is referring to had too much money going in to their collection and overbought?
    After all, if you buy a coin, you will have to sell it some day. And selling coins, as often stated here, is an important part of understanding worth.

It's not easy for everyone to find their own collecting eigenstate. (The state where the collector is happiest to be in)

I'm getting cranky as I get older too. I find I have to take active steps to prevent myself from behaving badly on this forum. I try to learn from each situation.

Not everyone that you give advice to is going to follow your path. Some will follow a different path. Some may follow a path that you do not like.

The world has too many people; it seems impossible to like everyone in it. Especially after they open their mouths.

When are you going to sell your 1854-S double eagle?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How to respond to this?

When are you going to sell your 1854-S double eagle? >>

You did not see my post on the BST? image

I have no plans to sell it. image
  • Options
    What should be the allowable time between a Coin Forum question and a BST Listing? image
  • Options

<< <i>What should be the allowable time between a Coin Forum question and a BST Listing? image >>

There is no specific time. If your time spent here is primarily to set up coins for sale on the BST, I have no interest in you. If your time spent here is primarily to learn about gold coins (or anything else) to build up your collection, I am all ears.

I have also noticed a couple veterans who use a similar ploy. A "How much is a ____ worth?" thread, then a "Check out the coin I just bought on ebay/Heritage/Teletrade/wherever for my collection thread", followed by a "Guess the grade of my new _____" thread, and a short time later (often within a week), a "Gorgeous high-end ____ for sale" thread on the BST.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here you go >>

Here's one for you! >>

I just do not see any good coming from this thread. I can see it scaring off new collectors from asking questions, but do not see the intended targets actually doing anything other than laughing behind their keyboards.

Oh, and how exactly did I come off as a moron?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, to some degree, I have some fatigue for that "newbie" question. I do want to help folks, but at the same time it feels like TPG opinions and forum opinions are being used as a (poor) substitute for learning how to grade and evaluate the quality of coins for yourself.

To the extent I can help "teach someone how to fish" with respect to providing opinions and guidance about actual and prospective coin purchases, I'm good with it -- but I'm tired of just throwing fish at them to eat another day.
  • Options
    My opinion is "old and cranky".

How else are they going to learn about numistmatics if they don't have anyone to ask?

BTW, if "old and cranky" qualifies, I must be considered to be so but I'm still young at heart!

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    That is why I only respond to threads created by members of the Circle of Trust™. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When asked questions/for information, we usually can't know what the person's ultimate motivation is. So, we can try to help, without strings attached and hope for the best. Or, we can decline to offer assistance. Granted, the results aren't always rewarding, but I usually prefer to do the former. It's an individual choice that each of us gets to make. >>

I totally agree with Mark. I give as much information as I am able to.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What should be the allowable time between a Coin Forum question and a BST Listing? image >>

There is no specific time. If your time spent here is primarily to set up coins for sale on the BST, I have no interest in you. If your time spent here is primarily to learn about gold coins (or anything else) to build up your collection, I am all ears.

I have also noticed a couple veterans who use a similar ploy. A "How much is a ____ worth?" thread, then a "Check out the coin I just bought on ebay/Heritage/Teletrade/wherever for my collection thread", followed by a "Guess the grade of my new _____" thread, and a short time later (often within a week), a "Gorgeous high-end ____ for sale" thread on the BST. >>

I agree with the senario.

Personally, I believe that only PCGS Dealers and Coin Club Members should be allowed to sell on BST. That would cut down on the type of newbie you describe.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    define "newbie"
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

<< <i>define "newbie" >>

anyone with less than 3400 posts image

yes...that includes me... at my age it feels good to be a newbie... image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    I regret that I rarely have anything to "give back" to the forum. And I can understand how many of you grow weary of answering the same newbie questions over and over.

But for those of you that do, (and there are many,) I can't begin to tell you how much you have taught me, "saved" me and entertained me. Thank you all for your continued patience. There are a ton of us out here who lurk and learn, every single day....
  • Options
    Someone posted here last week with a picture of a huge amount of new stuff, wanted to know "what it was worth". I posted that an apprasial was a lot of work and maybe he should do a little research, maybe have some fun and learn something. Someone else suggested the BST. When I went back later the thread was gone!
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much can I get for these. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>How much can I get for these. >>

image....Damn Newbies......image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>define "newbie" >>

anyone with less than 3400 posts image

yes...that includes me... at my age it feels good to be a newbie... image >>

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I can understand your pain. Lucky for me I rarely make the connection from "how much is this worth" to BST sales as I don't usually check the BST on a regular basis.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>

>>

This perfectly clarify what your thoughts were in the OP. I can only agree with that!

I am a newbie and sometimes I flip/sell coins.
    I started my collection this year and of course I was so excited that I was buying almost everything (bullion, rare coins, silver bars...) but at a certain point I had to sell some (my salary is not Oprah's!).
    For what I remember I never asked the forum member for advice/quotation in order to better sell a coin (maybe for something I was not going to sell), but you have to agree that buying & selling is part of the hobby. I have learned a lot having the chance to "touch" so many coins (and even more being around you veterans!).
    Btw, my balance is -$150 so far but I consider it as an investiment.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    For the "newer" forum members....Check the past threads, in the search option. There are many times the info, on most anything coin related, than you can get in responses to questions. Hard to find a topic,that was never discussed. Know it has helped me,to avoid mistakes,(buying/selling) how to take coin pictures, become better at grading, how to,should I,submit coins,and how to this and how to that..etc. etc. Much of current threads have been discussed before.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    In order to enjoy the good and pleasant,

one must endure a bit of the bad and nasty.image

It seems a fair trade off. If everything was good,

we would all have wings and be playing on harps.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alot of new collectors do ask how much, But I think it's ok to help we dont know if some one pass on and now they are trying to get funds for the eastate or so on. If we can help let's do it. What if I pass on I would hope you all will help my family if I tell them to come her to ask on priceing becuse I know how the BM's are. I see it all the time some little old lady says it's 1 dollar but it's a old date and then they tell her ya I'll give you spot or silver for it or some kid comes in and they tell him will give you 6 times face for your silver that sucks. But I just look and keep my mouth ziped. I dont want to but I'am in his house. It's only time and if I see it posted and I can help I'll try if they want to flip it go for it I may need that coin, But that is just me, Type2. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I find that answering the same questions over and over again to be tiring at times (that why I wrote my book). Thankfully, there are now enough photographers around here that I can answer a smaller portion of the question that I find interesting or necessary without having to address the whole of it.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah newbies have come and gone...some have stuck though and that is the main thing as those that have stayed add to our group. I wish I had more to contribute to the forums!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    Well, I am glad there are others here who don't take this attitude.

To the noobs reading this thread---Don't hesitate to ask questions, there are still many here who are willing to help. Also, the search function can help to answer many questions previously asked.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a newb on the old forum...then on to this forum. A couple of points.... a) I have learned, and I am still learning from this forum. b) I have never sold a coin. c) I have never asked anyone to grade one of my coins. d) I have never asked anyone to value my coins.
    One of the most important lessons I have learned here was that I needed to learn to grade, so I did. Next I learned that research was easy and could give me the answer to most of my questions. Finally, reading this forum has given me answers to questions I did not even know I had. I have little tolerance for flippers and quick buck artists. I would gladly help neophytes if the occasion arises. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Hey I am nubbie! I like to help when i can. What others do with the information i give them is up to them. Its always best to be of service after that let them have their free agency on what to do with that information. We all have the right to learn.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed many theads where someone new ask how much are they worth. For those that don't buy or sell everyday it's very helpful. In fact some of my fav threads are those that got their coins from a death in the family. Those early boxed proof sets that were left to a guy by his grandfather was the bomb and I bet he had more than one PM to buy some of that old material that hadn't seen the light of day in many a decade.
  • Options

<< <i>define "newbie" >>

Yeah..I hear ya..define... Newbie..well it ain't a newcomer here asking if he/she should hold or flip their Plats on the bay or the BST..for a 5 or 10 % markup.I generally would give a newbie an answer to a legit question and offer a hyperlink to a source that would provide information to the collector.Any one with a decent question deserves an honest answer...It is when some with other motives that we become suspicious....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    I think we have to differentiate between new collectors(let them ask all the questions they want, that's what this is all about), and people looking for free appraisals.
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I post alot of what would you do and hypothetical questions ... by the time I post I have already done what I am asking .. I just like to see how others would handle a situation or how others "collect" I think that is part of the fun of belonging to a forum .. not only for knowledge but also as a friendship among many people that I may never meet . image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am growing tired of new members who come here, ask a whole lot of questions about coins they are about to purchase, how much to pay for them, what are their grades, are they nice for the grade, whether they should send them in for grading (or regrading), etc., and then a week later have them for sale on the BST or on ebay or both. FEC was the master of this, although I have seen many others do the same, including one seller who is currently on the front page of the BST selling some gold coins.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or am I just getting old and cranky (with no offense to kranky)?

this is part of the reason why it isn't always the best thing to be all "touchy feely" at this site regarding times when members violate the rules. i have never been one to avoid telling other members that they are running afoul of the rules whenever they do stuff like link pictures of coins they have for sale, link to their websites, or post wholly improper topics no matter how well intended. it has from time to time gotten me in trouble with the CircleOfJerks or whatever it is that they call themselves.

i'll step out on the slippery-slope right now and say plainly that everyone's former and current hero, coinguy1, is one of those members who routinely flaunted the rules in a former forum life and nobody seemed to care about it.........................i spoke up and got chastised for daring to state something about the exact type of behavior that has RYK's boxers in a bunch. you simply can't have it both ways. if a member you like does something wrong, you must speak up and not defend them, while calling out those who abuse the system. in a word, that is called hypocrosy.

sorry for my frankness, but welcome to my world.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey RYK, I am an Early Gold Newbie (TM). I found this cool raw gold coin on ebay. What do you think it will grade? image

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little behind on this thread but I don't think anyone has mentioned this - how many times has someone come to the USCF asking about the best way to get a fair price for something and been told that selling on the BST is the way to go? Is it really that surprising that many newbies who come here asking what they have eventually end up listing the item on the BST?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a little behind on this thread but I don't think anyone has mentioned this - how many times has someone come to the USCF asking about the best way to get a fair price for something and been told that selling on the BST is the way to go? Is it really that surprising that many newbies who come here asking what they have eventually end up listing the item on the BST?

Sean Reynolds >>

Sean, that certainly makes sense, though I suspect that RYK/Robert is talking about something else.

Robert, if you have revisited this thread and are reading this, can you give us one or two (annoying or dastardly) examples that are distinct from the situations Sean just mentioned? Thanks.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I understand that abuse of help will grind you down. In the middle of this decade, I was fairly active on the Beckett trading card boards. (circa 2004 or so) I was on there daily or close to it, much like I am here. But...I got to the point where I didn't enjoy it. Nearly every member of the board was posting that their greatest new pull was on Ebay, or asked for help and then ignored it, or only cared what their cards were "worth".

I eventually quit that forum, and I believe that the last time I logged in was 2005. The few real collectors on there had all moved to a different forum, where actually collecting...and NOT profiteering...was the focus. Eventually that forum fell to the same sad state as the Beckett Forum and I went years without visiting that site either, although I did log in again there this summer for the first time since 2007.

Unlike with coins, with cards I was fully competent, capable and one of the experts in my chosen field, although that knowledge has faded with disuse, as I stopped collecting in 2006 due to lack of funds.

With coins, I joined this forum about three weeks after I started collecting. When I joined, for example, I had never heard of the Red Book, I did not know of the existance of Franklin halves, Stand Liberty Quarters, and didn't know there were any mint marks other then P, D and S. I had never seen a gold coin in person, and I did not know anything about ancient coins or even, in fact, that they existed. If I had not inherited 4 Peace and 2 Morgan dollars, I would not have known that there were dollar coins larger then the SBA/Sac/Presidential issues!

All the above changed as a direct result of participating on this forum! I still don't think I know very much, and I don't even think I am knowledgeable enough to answer all but the most basic questions, but in time, I likely will get better. After all, I have only been collecting since May of 2008!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm a little behind on this thread but I don't think anyone has mentioned this - how many times has someone come to the USCF asking about the best way to get a fair price for something and been told that selling on the BST is the way to go? Is it really that surprising that many newbies who come here asking what they have eventually end up listing the item on the BST?

Sean Reynolds >>

Sean, that certainly makes sense, though I suspect that RYK/Robert is talking about something else.

Robert, if you have revisited this thread and are reading this, can you give us one or two (annoying or dastardly) examples that are distinct from the situations Sean just mentioned? Thanks. >>

Newbie member joins forum, expresses interest in collecting gold coins, solicits opinions on which coins to collect. Then, he is presented a deal and describes coins to forum and asks for advice on how to proceed. Then, after using advice and buying coins, he posts photos and descriptions of coins on the forum, and asks for upgrade advice. Then, about a week later, forum member posts the same coins for sale on the BST.

No forum rules were violated (per Keets' concerns), but newbie does not appear to have been honest with us as to interest and motives. Roadrunner hit the hammer on the head--he used the forum as an unpaid consultant. It is much different than Seanq's scenario.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I have carefully reviewed what I contribute

to this Forum. I have come to the conclusion

that it would all fit very nicely in the plastic bag

folks carry, when they walk their dog.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    The line between a collector and a dealer is a fine one. However the line between pure intentions and un-pure intentions is not. It seems to me that the OP is more concerned with the latter than the former -- as it should be, IMO.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    I can't relate to RYK's predicament very well, I just do Walkers mostly. (*ed.-they're way too common to worry about.) I'm down to about 67 of them, in fact.

Back when I had a few hundred, I would've talked a monkey's ear off if I thought he would've bought one.

I guess that makes me a newbie-hugger. image

ed.- isn't there a time and place you always want new buyers for your material, regardless?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100!

I like to help sincere newbies. Once I find out that a newbie has an angle they're trying to exploit, I avoid that particular newbie, but it doesn't stop me from replying to new newbies.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file