Home Precious Metals

Newbie question about 100 oz engelhard silver bar please help

jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
Hi - newbie with a PM question. I bought a 100 oz engelhard bar, it was supposed to be in the original plastic. It came today and it was in the plastic but only part of the plastic was there.

The 2 machined ends look different from each other, do they look original to you guys who know better, or should I be concerned?

Also, is it ok to clean these bars or does that take away from the value? This bar isn't very good looking at all.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you weighed it?
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the fast response!

It weighed 109.3 ounces, I think that's just under 100 troy ounces
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    99.6223 oz(troy)

Does anybody know about the different end surfaces? I'm guessing 99.6 oz is pretty close. Thanks!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anybody know about the different end surfaces? I'm guessing 99.6 oz is pretty close. Thanks! >>

I hope your scale is off ... In my book 99.6 is not close enough...1/2 oz variance is to much...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    It appears they shaved some silver off the end. I would contact the seller and see what he has to say about this.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are alterred bars with the silver drilled out but these are the proper weight
    and the ends look good. They can be discerned by hanging them from a string and
    ringing them. Real bars sound good. Bad ones thud.

I'd be concerned with an underweight bar. All bars are overweight and the best brands
    tend to be closest to the proper weight. Most of these will weigh 100.1 to 100.15 OZt
    but a few will be lighter or heavier if memory serves.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Here's a link to an edge view link
    Andy
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Actually none of these look like the englehard bar I have handy. The top pic looks almost the same as mine but mine doesn't have the corners beveled. My first thought is that you have an end piece and I think that may still be the case. They extrude these in very long bars and cut into 100 oz sections with a saw. So if you have and end bar, perhaps the end has the pattern in your lower pic. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

As for the weight, I'd guess your scale is most likely off unless the bar really has been tampered with. --Jerry

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anybody know about the different end surfaces? I'm guessing 99.6 oz is pretty close. Thanks! >>

I hope your scale is off ... In my book 99.6 is not close enough...1/2 oz variance is to much... >>

I agree. Check your scale for accuracy. That's too light, as correct bars will be exactly spot-on or slightly heavy.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    Thanks for your advice and knowledge! My wife is a clerk at usps and tomorrow she'll weigh it at work. Our scale at home is a couple years old and might be off but the postal scales are checked every month or so.

Thanks again!
  • Ends look normal to me. Don't know if cleaning hurts value. Dirty shouldn't matter.
  • .... 2 machined ends look different from each other, do they look original....

Yes.

The rippled end is part of the ingot processing.

Engelhard 100's were made by taking a 10,000 oz ingot and rolling it

into long "ribbons" of the desired dementions. The ribbon was cut

to length to make 100 oz bars. Each bar was then checked for weight.

If over weight, it was adjusted by shaving .... if under weight, it was rejected.

The rippled end of your 100 oz bar is simply the first or last 100 oz bar from the ribbon.

As for the plastic sleeve ...... It really has no value. The plastic is getting

brittle with age and simply fell apart. The seller really should not have

described it as having the plastic if it was in vey poor shape.... buttt

not having the plastic does not lower the value. As far as cleaning it...

It will not hurt the value to brighten it up with a little dipping. Just do not

scrub it or use harsh cleaners.
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • My biggest problem is with the shapes, not textures of the 2 ends. Perhaps its an optical illusion, but the bottom pic appears quite trapezoidal to me. Anyone else notice this?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trapezoidal shape is normal.
    The one end is a bit rougher than normal, but I have similar.
    The beveling is quite common.
    The plastic boxes tend to die of old age.
    All in all, I see nothing wrong with the bar. If the toning bothers you go ahead and dip it with some Jewelluster on a clean rag, then sprinkle with some baking soda to neutralize the dip. nRinse well and dry before storage.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like many of the similar Engelhard bars I've seen, including the one I own.

I think this is a great example of perceived value of bullion. Gresham's law.

We all collect bullion, and most of us are at least a little iffy about this bar. That's just another reason why I favor 90% over bars--at least bars greater than 10 oz or maybe kilos.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

• << <i>The trapezoidal shape is normal.
    The one end is a bit rougher than normal, but I have similar.
    The beveling is quite common.
    The plastic boxes tend to die of old age.
    All in all, I see nothing wrong with the bar. If the toning bothers you go ahead and dip it with some Jewelluster on a clean rag, then sprinkle with some baking soda to neutralize the dip. nRinse well and dry before storage.
    TD >>

I dont own a 100 oz bar, but it seems weird to me that one end is perfectly rectangular and the other end is trapezoidal. In fact, its almost like an MC Esher scetch.....just doesnt seem possible!
  • Both ends are trapezoidal. Photo perspective slightly different so it appears rectangular.

• << <i>Both ends are trapezoidal. Photo perspective slightly different so it appears rectangular. >>

Wow....top photo looks like 4 perfect 90's to me when taking angle of photo into consideration. Cool illusion I guess.

• The bar is flipped over in the second photo. (Top of bar at bottom of 1st photo and at the top of 2nd photo.)

<< <i>[ Each bar was then checked for weight.

If over weight, it was adjusted by shaving .... if under weight, it was rejected.

>>

This is the part that worries me. If under weight = rejected, then this one has to be altered if it's under weight?

Thanks to all for your advice and knowledge. I've bought some of the smaller bars and thought I knew what I was doing. image
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    With older poured engelhards, the bars are usually over the specified weight such as older poured 3 oz, 4 oz, etc bars. They never were right on the weight. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the older poured bars were a tiny bit underweight. Perhaps they will sometimes estimate it.

Not sure on the newer 100 oz bars but it doesn't seem suspect. Perhaps someone was careless and sliced a bit too much silver off?
    If you are worried, return it back and have them weigh another one and get the one thats more close to the weight.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • ......jimq112.....

I would still be highly suprised if this bar turns out to be underweight or altered.

The bar is 100 troy oz's ---- that equals 3,110.4 grams. Now if it weighs in at 3109 or 3110 grams...

well..... ok..... it is not right buttttttt ....... I find that mine weigh in at 3112-19 grams.

A quick and reliable test to tell if it has been "filled".

Ballence the bar on a plastic coin tube .... face down.

LIGHTLY tap the end [ top of bar ] with a small hammer. [ no...this will not damage it ]

If it has a nice ring to it .... it is good.

If it has a dull - dead non-ring to it... suspect.

A quick check that I use is simply to look very carefully at the "streaks" along the sides and ends.

If a bar has been cut or drilled/plugged.... there will be interuptions / breaks in the lines.

Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bar may be good but you may still get a dull thud if there is any air bubbles trapped in the bar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Here's a side view. It does ring consistently all around the bar. My wife forgot to take it to work today but I'll have an accurate weight tomorrow. Thanks again!
  • I bet it is just fine.
    It does ring ok, my wife checked it on all 3 of the scales at work and it was low all 3 times by almost 1/2 ounce. She checked calibration on the scales and they were all within .1%. The seller agreed to replace or refund, he seems honest so I would rather have it replaced than a refund. Even if it is "ok" being underweight it would always be a little tainted for me, so it's best that I exchange it for a different one.

Thanks again for all your help!!

jim
    Received a replacement bar today, no hassles or problems at all from the seller. Thanks again for all your help and advice!
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear the seller made good on it!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.