Home Precious Metals

Kilo bar thread

1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
I thought it would be a cool idea if we could post pics or info related to kilo (or larger) bars or coins. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. image

First, a 5 kg "coin" bar from the Cook Islands, along with a nicely toned 1 oz bar for comparison.

2006 1000 Ruble coin from Belarus commemorating the 2008 Olympic Light Athletic games, mintage of 1500:

2007 Cook Islands 1 kg coin bar:

Johnson Matthey Pauwels, Brussels:

Credit Suisse - look how it weighs out at exactly 1000.0 grams!

Two of them:

These people don't mess around!! Swiss precision:

Kantonal Bank, Zurich:

Early Emirates Gold:

Argor, Chiasso:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• carscars Posts: 1,904
    Very Very nice! I like the JM bar the best of course but all are nice. The round doesn't do anything for me though.
    Do Half Kilo's work? They cost about the same as a full kilo image
    Its all relative
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 5kg bar is a sight for sore eyes...image

I like the Belarus silver coin..The B.H. Mayer Mint does some great work when it comes to minting coins.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Niiiiice. That 5 kilo bar is totally killer.

Best I can muster:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the 1/2 kg JM bar the most! 1jester, impressive kilo collection though! I like the credit suisse kilos
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments, guys! And also for sharing yours, because without that this thread would die quickly.

OPA, I don't know much about that mint or other coins they might have minted, but the design of the Belarussian coin looked cool to me, and I guess I liked it enough to buy 3 of them. Do you know if they command high collector premiums because of the limited mintage? And yes, I do love those 5 kg "coins"!!! They're mighty big and impressive, and try packing a few of them in your briefcase and trying to look normal walking down a city street with it!! LOL Cook Islands now has Meule doing their minting for them, not Perth, and the kilo bars are similar in shape and look; I think I'll have to pick up a few of them too.

Weiss, the look of that 100 oz Englehard is mighty solid!! Thanks for sharing.

Cars, half kilos will work too! image I don't have any; perhaps that's why I overlooked them, but they're perfect for this thread. I like the bars, but the coins don't bother me. I don't have any pure bullion rounds, but plenty of coins. I suppose the numismatist in me finds them worthy of collecting, even as bullion.

Mike, thanks for sharing. I too find the Credit Suisse bars strangely appealing. I don't know what it is about them exactly, but I'd gladly pick up many more if I could find them.

Adam, that's a nice collection you've got going! I have different Kookaburras too, different dates from 1 kg on down. No Koalas larger than 10 oz, however. I like the Kookaburras; I think they change the design every year. I don't suppose it would be easy doing a date run of them, however!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All unfortunately the wrong colour, I prefer Kilos in that yellower shade of metal.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

<< <i>All unfortunately the wrong colour, I prefer Kilos in that yellower shade of metal. >>

Feel free to share yours here!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

<< <i>OPA, I don't know much about that mint or other coins they might have minted, but the design of the Belarussian coin looked cool to me, and I guess I liked it enough to buy 3 of them. Do you know if they command high collector premiums because of the limited mintage? And yes, I do love those 5 kg "coins"!!! They're mighty big and impressive, and try packing a few of them in your briefcase and trying to look normal walking down a city street with it!! LOL Cook Islands now has Meule doing their minting for them, not Perth, and the kilo bars are similar in shape and look; I think I'll have to pick up a few of them too. >>

The Mayer Mint GMBH is an old established private Mint in Germany... (5th Generation) I have never seen the Belarus coin come up for auction, as such I have no idea what the asking price is. I suspect, since the issue price was around $500, hopefully higher. The Mayer Mint is also producing the current Cook Island's Masterpiece of Art Coins...very detailed and pricey...The below link is an ongoing auction of their latest issue.

eBay Link..Cook Island

BTW Not my auction.

One that I have owned for over three years, and it has doubled in value since that time.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the idea of a kilo of gold and a 1000 oz bar of silver. But a big part of me is still a SHTF scenario-ist. And no matter how I try to rationalize, I can't see any benefits to those monster bars over 1-oz bars and coins, and even fractionals on the gold side, and 10 oz bars and 90% on the silver side. And I can tick off a dozen reasons for the smaller units, but only one for the big ones: They're really, really cool image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the idea of a kilo of gold and a 1000 oz bar of silver. But a big part of me is still a SHTF scenario-ist. And no matter how I try to rationalize, I can't see any benefits to those monster bars over 1-oz bars and coins, and even fractionals on the gold side, and 10 oz bars and 90% on the silver side. And I can tick off a dozen reasons for the smaller units, but only one for the big ones: They're really, really cool image >>

Ditto. That's why I sold off my Kilo bar. Biggest bar I'll own now is a 10oz. Except for one 16oz bar I have just because it's fun.
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I have a feeling big buck whale size folks enjoy their kilo holdings as much as us little people enjoy our 1's, 5's and 10's. It's all very nice ... whatever floats your boat!

<< <i>I love the idea of a kilo of gold and a 1000 oz bar of silver. But a big part of me is still a SHTF scenario-ist. And no matter how I try to rationalize, I can't see any benefits to those monster bars over 1-oz bars and coins, and even fractionals on the gold side, and 10 oz bars and 90% on the silver side. And I can tick off a dozen reasons for the smaller units, but only one for the big ones: They're really, really cool image >>

The kilo of gold I bought from another board member, it represents a great deal for the amount of gold. It is far and away the largest single piece of gold, the rest of it doesn't size over the Mexican 50 Pesos which weighs in at 1.2057 ounces. The kilo sometimes begs to be sold, and the funds put into something like a roll or so of $20s, but I like the heft of it.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

One that I have owned for over three years, and it has doubled in value since that time. >>

That is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

Here's a kilo Degussa bar I picked up today. How old is this thing - any ideas? It's strangely shaped, like a big ingot, fat and stubby. For size comparison, I've placed some other bars alongside, including a stack of ten one ounce Englehard bars, a Gecko 2.5 oz bar, a Credit Suisse kilo bar and a UBS 5 gr. bar. Enjoy!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• I really like the fat kilo silver bar.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like the fat kilo silver bar. >>

Very cool looking bar!

ebay Link

To bad he does not ship overseas..
    few oz less than 1 kilo but look at it........a thick brick!

• That is a thick brick of pure Silver.
    I agree, the fat and stubby look is cool! Not that I have anything against a flat and wide bar either... image

Here's another almost identical bar I picked up today, a descendent of the Degussa bar, made by Umicore, which is what the name of the company has been since 2001. Here's a little info on some silver bars, and the Degussa kilo bar I have has a lower serial number than the one pictured at the top of the page. I still would like to know how old it is; it came from the same cache of old pour bars that included my old pour JM kilo bar.

Text

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    How about a 1/10th and 1/20th kilo bar?

• Those are some neat Silver bars and the Gold bars aren't to shabby either.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I just traded a Proof Jefferson Spouse gold coin for this bar:

(His Photo)

When I saw the pic it just kinda called my name! I know absoultely nothing about these things.

Did I get ripped too bad?

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    you did ok. I've seen them sell from 540-600 on ebay