Options

Would you touch this Peace Dollar?

HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
Or would you run...and hide?

PCGS MS-64 and CAC verified

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I'd have to touch it in order to pitch it up into the air to shoot with my 12ga.

Ouch,

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

........looks like a lime.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Ha, what a piece of work! I like my 49S a whole bunch better......
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Well, assuming the image is juiced, I'd say maybe after seeing it in hand. image
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Not fond of blotchy color.
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    get those handy dandy mint gloves

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    It has a sticker... What else do you want.... image

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd ask for a more realistic image.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd ask for a more realistic image. >>

Good answer.
  • Options
    Unless the color of that pic is way off I would say 100% manmade color. Without a doubt I wouldn't touch that coin for anywhere more than 20 back. Please refer to the pcgs grading guide section on questionable toning with any questions.....
    Actually the splotchy mostly green/blue is a 100% definite no no. I have some stuff used in the jewelry industry that can recreate that to a T. Done it to some of my own. Just for kicks, and NO have never sold any. Still own one, while the others I dipped and sold as "sliders" to another dealer.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show me an unjuiced photo before I would comment
    (but, at the price it is offered, I would run and hide no matter what!)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm... NO! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    So, is everyone here saying that both PCGS and CAC got it wrong?
  • Options
    <<1926-S PEACE DOLLAR PCGS MS 64
    ( PCGS )
    Price per Unit (piece): $4,700.00

1926-S PEACE DOLLAR PCGS MS 64. ULTIMATE RAINBOW TONING ON BOTH OBVERSE AND REVERSE! EXTREMELY RARE! This is one of the most beautifully toned Peace dollars I have ever seen! And it is a very scarce 1926-S! PREVIOUSLY OFFERED, we had several clients interested in the coin but questioned the originality of the toning - that maybe the coin snuck through PCGS. So, I thought I would send it to CAC and have one of the foremost numismatic experts in the coin universe grade it - John Albanese. And of course, it came back with the CAC sticker.

Now, while I could make a case for pricing the coin $1,000 higher (it was originally listed at $4,500) we have only added $200 to that price to cover our shipping and grading cost for the CAC sticker!

Both obverse and reverse are smothered in gorgeous shades of iridescent turquoise, grape, pink and golden toning. This is an extremely tough date to find with attractive color - and this coin is far, far more than merely attractive. IT IS A REAL STUNNER! A truly breathtaking coin with tremendous upside potential. I have considered submitting this coin to NGC for crossover. It surely would receive a "STAR" designation. NGC has certified 1,502 1926-S Peace dollars in MS 64. They have not certified a SINGLE example in MS 64 STAR! 1-2-4>>

<<we have only added $200 to that price to cover our shipping and grading cost for the CAC sticker!>>

Only $200? Thanks.

I wouldnt buy this coin at all based on that picture. Nor would I seriously look at anything else this dealer has.
  • Options
    <<So, is everyone here saying that both PCGS and CAC got it wrong? >>

Ummm, they are not perfect. Im not saying they got it wrong, but that coin is a dog based on the pics, and the price is whats made toners as big an issue as they are today.

I dont care if its graded right, based on that pic, its a dog and a $5K dog at that? Ill pass until a more accurate pic is availiable.
  • Options
    $200 for shipping and CAC? Who are they kidding?
  • Options
    I would like Sunnywood to weigh in on this coin. I would respect his views.
  • Options
    The picture looks juiced.

Getting by that, i can see the proper color progression here. The first stage brown behind her neck on the obverse, the second stage green at 9 o'clock obverse rim. The reverse has the first stage brown in the middle and progresses to the second stage green at the eagle's tail.

But the way the yellow looks splattered on either side would give me serious pause and i'd have to see it in hand to see whether the toning floats above the surface or is more connected to the surface.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    I would definitely agree that the pictures are juiced to an extreme, but still...I'm quite shocked that this was considered "Market Acceptable".
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    The way it is presented is juiced.

I would be afraid of contracting an odd disease or fungal infection if I touched a coin that looked like that.

I can't say i've seen many peace dollars that have toned like that.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin is a gas.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The image cannot be an honest representation of that coin... it must be enhanced.

I don't like the coin or the price either...

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd touch it, but would prolly wear gloves. Looks like it might be radioactive.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

I like it, and would pay 64 money. image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I might touch it but I wouldn't buy it
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I would sure like to see it in hand. I'm thinking the pic is highly juiced and looks nothing like the coin. I'm betting PCGS and CAC probably have it right.

However, the price is absurd.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, R&I are doing themselves a HUGE disservice in showing a coin like this.
    First off, unless they have something against PCGS and CAC, they should NOT juice a photo to the extreme like that and then office it up with such empathis on PCGS and CAC.
    Secondly, $200 for shipping and "grading" at CAC, like they state? Ummm.....for those that do CAC, how much for the grading? Sending it registered isn't much more than $20-$25 each way.

I have no desire to deal with a company that wants to be that dishonest (in pictures nor in stated markups). If someone can honestly correct me on either, I would love to hear it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    It has the appearance of no toned coin that I've ever seen or had in hand. However, if PCGS and CAC like it, then it must be real. As for the asking price, I'd never pay a premium for color. A 64 is a 64 no matter what. But that's my opinion.

As for the photo being "juiced", might be. I'd love to see a True View of this baby. If it's close to the images in this thread, then it is a truly uniquely colored toner and may be worth that absurd premium.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd touch it if he sent it to me for a better picture. I don't care if it's full of pretty colors, I just don't like it that much. It looks too weird, too vibrant, and just wrong for a 26-S Peace dollar, or any Peace dollar for that matter.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't touch that coin with your hands but I did pick something up off of the web site.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I bet it looks nice in hand but I like this '26-S a lot better, and I bought it for a just a fraction of the the price that the seller is asking.
    Take a look at all the colorful coins at Chameleon Coins
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I dont care for it.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840
    I have little respect for Rick Tomaska. I bought a coin from him because It was a must have for me that he beat on ebay for. And now i get his BS catalogs every day. Pitching his premium deep cameo Franklins. All of which are altered to look pitch black in the fields and white in the devices, and asking well over retail because his deep cameos 70s are better than regular deep cameo 70s. Ill never buy a thing from him again.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way I would touch a coin which actually looked like that was if I was wearing the kind of clothing med techs wear when working with the ebola virus.

As others have said, I'd want a better image of the coin. No way PC and CAC would sign off on something which actually looked like THAT. Esa moneda es una cagada.

I can accept the fact that the image isn't any good. What I can't accept is a $200 charge to get the sticker and shipping. This sort of thing is the only real beef I have with CAC, which isn't their fault. Some boludo paying what, $20 bucks to get the coin stickered and then marking it up $150 or more because of it. ¡Si hombre, una polla como una olla! They really should have an emoticon for someone puking.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Elcontador, are you Argentinian?
  • Options
    heres an example of what they do to most proof coins.

• Options
    Hmmm, PCGS price guide says it's a $ 295 coin . Do you SEE that coin being
    worth $ 4,700 ? Did the "radioactive toxic monster vomit" all over the coin really
    ad $ 4,400 to it's value. Is their really a strong market for unattractive, splotchy post mint damaged coins such as this ?
    If so , would the only people who would seriously consider it , also be considered uneducated and uninformed ?
    Did the seller actually think he was helping sell the coin by juicing the unholey s%$t out of the picture ?
    This is almost as bad as those "snakes" that had that '22 listed for $ 16,000 a couple years back .
    You're damn right I'm a straight shooter . I don't sugar coat my comments . I call it like I see it.
    Stop the madness !

Lewis

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    The price seems a bit on the high side to me. image That is also one coin that I would definitely have to see in hand.

While I am not that crazy about the obverse of the coin I actually like the way the reverse looks.

Price wise for me the coin is a big pass.

Mike
  • Options
    Like I always say, a coin is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I've got a few really nice coins from Rick before, but I paid reasonable prices. I like the '26-S that I have better, and I picked mine up for well under $100.
    Take a look at all the colorful coins at Chameleon Coins
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't mean I love the coin, but I would certainly let it pass through my hands.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think many many years ago....in dark bank vaults around the land, employees who had been drinking a bit of beer felt the need to ...well.....answer the call of nature.

Being in a private area, and feeling rather angry about having to move these heavy bags around over and over again...................

Anyway, thats how I think a lot of this fancy toning originated . image
  • Options
    One rule I live by in numismatics....just because it is toned, does not mean it's pretty! IF this pic does show what the coin really looks like...I personally would pass. But if you like the coin...go for it!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They really should have an emoticon for someone puking. >>

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They really should have an emoticon for someone puking. >>

image >>

This one warrants the 'double'.

[edit] I can't believe the asking price. Mad, I tell you.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I would, would it make me feel dirty though?
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It doesn't mean I love the coin, but I would certainly let it pass through my hands. >>

Not before I had a penicilian shotimage
  • Options
    I think its at least interesting looking... it does look radioactive, but maybe that could be an interesting coin collection... one you don't want to touch, so you don't die...
    lol
    1887 P Morgans Please!!!
    My collections!!!! : : Photos

My new VAMmer facebook group! : Silver Dollar VAMmers
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    scrap silver - $10
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think it is cool

but not $5K cool to me, not sure how high I would consider going

Leave a Comment