Home Precious Metals

Anyone like pandas?

I like pandas.

Comments

• I do! image I don't own any(yet), but I will!
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I actually don't like them. I don't care for the Chinese government. I don't like their human rights or environmental policies. I don't like their positions on Tibet, North Korea, or the middle east. I don't like what their cheap labor has done to American manufacturing ability. And I don't like how they've turned a blind eye or even supported international counterfeiting--especially American coins.

The designs I've seen are "cuddly", for lack of a better word, and don't appeal to me. And there appear to be growing numbers of fakes, which is always a turn-off.

I'm probably in a small minority. But I'd sooner have any other bullion piece than a panda.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • carscars Posts: 1,904
    He asked if you liked panda's not China image

I like Panda's but only own 1 at the moment.
    Its all relative
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> 'm probably in a small minority. But I'd sooner have any other bullion piece than a panda.

+1

I'm right there with you in that small minority. I see no reason to support China by buying their gold products. It's bad enough you can't find much of anything for sale that hasn't already been made in China. There is no shortage of viable attractive gold alternatives to the panda.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Grizzlies.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Love my Gold Pandas, yearn for more Platinum Pandas, and appreciate my Silver Pandas.

Where are the Palladium Pandas????

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    You know I do! I still keep up with the 1 ounce gold bullion PL issues. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)

<< <i>I Love my Gold Pandas, yearn for more Platinum Pandas, and appreciate my Silver Pandas.

Where are the Palladium Pandas????

Miles >>

I have the 1 troy ounce platinum run from 1987 - 1990 + the 1987 1 troy ounce NY Coinshow issue.

Don't have the 1 troy ounce Palladiums but there was only 1 - 1989 and 1 - coinshow issue (forget which year).
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Anyone know what the 2004 and 2005 mint sealed sheets of 10 silver Pandas are going for now? I have a few sheets I want to sell.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont think the counterfeit issue can be easily dismissed.

I like the design but with the voracity that the chinese counterfeit our issues I can only imagine
    what they could do to their own intellecual property!

All it would take is one national story and your hoard would be suspect and
    need subjected to chem test to verify. This would make rapid liquidity harder.

Could happen to any issue but the perception is there on chinese stuff already and as mentioned,
    fakes have turned up.

Loves me some shiny!
  • BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    I _ONLY own Silver Pandas...

Gold Pandas have too high a premium + I'd rather set aside Credit Suisse 1 oz bars...
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only foreign Gold bullion that I own are: ...Pamp & Credit Suisse 1 oz bars & 25 year old 1 oz BU K'Rands.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Luv those Pamp bars image

Loves me some shiny!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    No....They bite.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snarky or rude. Just my honest opinion about them. If you like them, have at them. I know lots of people collect them. And IIRC, they were at the forefront of the modern rarity craze when they were first released.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • I've had some Gold Panda's, now all I have are some Silver Panda's- 1/2 oz., 1 oz. and I'm not sure but I might have a 2 oz. Silver Panda.
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

I love the Panda series, Gold and Silver. It's my main interest right now.

I'm expecting delivery of some of the harder to get commemoratives from my
    reliable source in China.

A couple of the commems are the 2004 and 2005 ICBC's. ( Industrial & Commercial Bank of China )

I recently read that the ICBC is now the largest bank in the World ( in terms of Market Cap )
    Can anyone verify this?
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You know, I actually don't like them. I don't care for the Chinese government. I don't like their human rights or environmental policies. I don't like their positions on Tibet, North Korea, or the middle east. I don't like what their cheap labor has done to American manufacturing ability. And I don't like how they've turned a blind eye or even supported international counterfeiting--especially American coins.

The designs I've seen are "cuddly", for lack of a better word, and don't appeal to me. And there appear to be growing numbers of fakes, which is always a turn-off.

I'm probably in a small minority. But I'd sooner have any other bullion piece than a panda. >>

Actually, I feel pretty much the same way.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gold, but a Panda cannot escape the symbolism that accompanies it. I choose not to buy them.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭
    Anything from China would be about the last thing I would like or collect.
  • Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You know, I actually don't like them. I don't care for the Chinese government. I don't like their human rights or environmental policies. I don't like their positions on Tibet, North Korea, or the middle east. I don't like what their cheap labor has done to American manufacturing ability. And I don't like how they've turned a blind eye or even supported international counterfeiting--especially American coins.

I'm probably in a small minority. But I'd sooner have any other bullion piece than a panda. >>

<< <i>I love the Panda series, Gold and Silver. It's my main interest right now.

I'm expecting delivery of some of the harder to get commemoratives from my
    reliable source in China.

A couple of the commems are the 2004 and 2005 ICBC's. ( Industrial & Commercial Bank of China )

I recently read that the ICBC is now the largest bank in the World ( in terms of Market Cap )
    Can anyone verify this? >>

Hmmm... I am NOT aware of the newer Panda commems. Are there any 1 tr oz gold? The last 1 tr oz gold Panda Commem I am aware of and have is the 1990 Zurich coinshow commem. Please post some pictures when you get them. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)

<< <i>I like pandas. >>

Hey Geck, how's the Panda collection coming along? Any new additions? image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    Hmmm... I am NOT aware of the newer Panda commems. Are there any 1 tr oz gold? The last 1 tr oz gold Panda Commem I am aware of and have is the 1990 Zurich coinshow commem. Please post some pictures when you get them

The Commems that I am referring to are the 1 oz Silver.

The last 1 oz Gold Panda Commem that I purchased was the 1988 ANA Convention.
    Actually I have two of them in PF69 Ultra Cameo Plastic.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

<< <i>The Commems that I am referring to are the 1 oz Silver.

The last 1 oz Gold Panda Commem that I purchased was the 1988 ANA Convention.
    Actually I have two of them in PF69 Ultra Cameo Plastic. >>

Two of them? Kewl! I also have 1 of those but raw. Those commems are a great value because the mintage is so small and yet you can get them with NOT too much premium.

edited to add: image I just remembered that I have two of the 1988 New Orleans 1 tr oz gold commem.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>I like pandas. >>

Hey Geck, how's the Panda collection coming along? Any new additions? image >>

Of course, all the time. Its a slow process though.
    Two of them? Kewl! I also have 1 of those but raw. Those commems are a great value because the mintage is so small and yet you can get them with NOT too much premium.

Yes, I agree the ANA has a mintage of 1000 and I paid a small premium over spot for them raw and had them entombed.

The 1988 New Orleans Investment Conference has a mintage of 1500. Do you also have the 1987 New Orleans? (a slightly higher
    mintage of 3000)

<< <i>Yes, I agree the ANA has a mintage of 1000 and I paid a small premium over spot for them raw and had them entombed.

The 1988 New Orleans Investment Conference has a mintage of 1500. Do you also have the 1987 New Orleans? (a slightly higher
    mintage of 3000) >>

Yes, I do. AFAIK, I have all the 1 tr oz gold and platinum (only 1 - 1987 NY but there is also a 1 tr oz Basel gold error struck on a die labeled Pt). The lowest mintage is the Hong Kong at 500. IIRC, there is a total of 12 of them (gold and platinum combined). Of course the number increases if you consider the palladium and silver 1 tr oz commems.

edited to add list of gold and platinum 1 tr oz panda commems:

1 troy ounce size gold and platinum list (1 platinum and 11 gold):

1987 China */1000 999 1 Pt PF Panda Sino-American Friendship - New York
    1987 China */2000 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-American Friendship - New York
    1987 China */3000 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-American Friendship - New Orleans
    1987 China */3000 999 1 Au PF Panda San Francisco International Coin Exposition
    1987 China */5000 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-Japanese Friendship (Tong Tong)
    1988 China */1000 999 1 Au PF Panda American Numismatic Association Convention - Cincinnati
    1988 China */2000 999 1 Au PF Panda Chinese-German Friendship - Munich International Coin Fair
    1988 China */0500 999 1 Au PF Panda Hong Kong Coin Exposition
    1988 China */1500 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-American Friendship - New Orleans
    1988 China */0400 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-Swiss Friendship - Basel International Coin Week (Au)
    1988 China */0600 999 1 Au PF Panda Sino-Swiss Friendship - Basel International Coin Week (Pt - error)
    1990 China */0550 999 1 Au PF Panda Zurich International Coin Exposition

year / issuing country / mintage / purity / size (troy ounce) / composition / description
    trozau (troy ounce gold)

<< <i>Of course, all the time. Its a slow process though. >>

You da man! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)

Hey trozau

Thats a nice collection of the Panda gold commems.

Does anyone have the 83 and 84 Copper/Zinc?
    I have about 6 or 7 of these. They tend to grade out very poorly.
    Although I do have 1 each in MS69.

I normally don't go after coppers of any sort. I had to have these though just
    because they were Pandas.

<< <i>Hey trozau

Thats a nice collection of the Panda gold commems.

Does anyone have the 83 and 84 Copper/Zinc?
    I have about 6 or 7 of these. They tend to grade out very poorly.
    Although I do have 1 each in MS69.

I normally don't go after coppers of any sort. I had to have these though just
    because they were Pandas. >>

Thanks. I am unaware and have not seen the 83 and 84 copper you mentioned. Sounds interesting. Please post a pic, if you have one.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    Please post a pic, if you have one.

I'm going out of town for few days. I will try to get some pics up when I get back.

Also, my Silver Commems arrived from China today. I will try to get some pics of them also.

Please be patient with me because I don't have much experience taking and posting pics
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    I love panda's, each year is like a work of art. My grandson loves to look at them. I agree I can live without the origin, but they do make beautiful coins.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
    What a shame that this is not in original packaging material

Text

• << <i>

Actually, I feel pretty much the same way. >>

I also!!!!!!!
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

<< <i>What a shame that this is not in original packaging material

Text >>

They issued other gold panda commems for the Munich coin shows after 1988 but they were half ouncers. The 1988 is the only 1 tr oz gold issue. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    This is the 1983 1 Yuan, 70% copper, 30% zinc.

The 84 is exactly the same except for the date.

I purchased a Nikon D200 (not a macro lens). I can't get the bronze looking color of the actual coin
    right. It comes out looking like a gold coin. Every thing else I shoot, I can achieve the proper color.

Textimage
    Textimage
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Panda's image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)

<< <i>This is the 1983 1 Yuan, 70% copper, 30% zinc.

The 84 is exactly the same except for the date.

I purchased a Nikon D200 (not a macro lens). I can't get the bronze looking color of the actual coin
    right. It comes out looking like a gold coin. Every thing else I shoot, I can achieve the proper color.

Textimage
    Textimage >>

I missed this posting (I was on vacation that week) Very nice! Thanks for sharing. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)