Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is RYK leaving us? :-(

He has a BST thread in which he states his waning interest in coins is causing him to sell off. Big bummer.

Comments

• Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    imageRIP
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Yeah, I just put 2 and 2 together on that one. I'll edit my previous post as not to pry.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    That would be a shame. I haven't seen any dirty gold for sale; I hope it stays that way. There is nothing wrong with taking a break, it's hard to stay away too long.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

JK, image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    His loss to this Forum and to Numismatics , would be..... profound.

There are just some people that can ............... never be replaced. image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Everyone goes through periods of fluctuating interest. If everything was steady, things would be pretty boring.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> Everyone goes through periods of fluctuating interest.

Very true. I remember seeing RYK go through something similar in years past. A bit of detachment is often good for the spirit.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is likely a temporary break

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not want to be:

1) Mysterious
    2) A drama queen
    3) Accused of using the USCF to pump my BST sales

but suffice to say, my interest in coins and related activities, including the forum, has declined suddenly and dramatically over the last couple months. I would prefer to think of this as a temporary break but also recognize that I have been at this full tilt for the last seven years and have had nearly a lifetime worth of collecting experiences in that time.

As others have stated, it's part of the Numismatic Circle of Life™ (what's with me and all of these darn Circles? image ), and I will possibly and likely be back in the fold when my interests are fired up again in the future.

RYK
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK may just be raising funds to win MadMarty's Rubber Chicken in Airplanenut's charity auction image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I'm exercising my Mod-Powers and placing a veto on his voluntary departure.

Robert, you're not going to get away so easily!image

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options

Enjoy your break, we all look forward to your return when you are ready. image

(P.S. - are you taking that alt Longacre on a hiatus too? image )
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately for Longacre, he's loosing a great foil. Is this another kitchen makeover sabbatical? Anyway, hopefully we'll all be there when the next circle comes around. Best to you and your family.
    Paul
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(P.S. - are you taking that alt Longacre on a hiatus too? image ) >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for those with short memories or the new arrivals, it was perhaps a little over a year ago when RYK publicly announced that he was done buying coins, but that passed. now we have another phase where his interest has "declined suddenly and dramatically" for whatever reasons. i suggest we just let him live his life as he chooses and try really, really hard not to turn this into some pathetic campfire episode.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Enjoy your break, brother.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is RYK?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is RYK?image >>

"The king is dead, long live the king."?
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

"The king is dead, long live the king."? >>

Don't worry. He left once before. He'll be back.

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>

"

Roger Yip Kawaltzki..image Don't leave, please.. I will miss the Steelers rememberance in your sigline..
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Perhaps if RYK could find some more interest in this boring hobby at times it would make a difference....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Geeze, I'm glad nobody gives a rip whether I'm here or not!!

The pressure would be too intense!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't worry. He left once before. He'll be back. >>

So his next return will herald the beginning of the Third RYK. image

Sorry, RYK, I couldn't resist. image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    It happens from time to time. I know there have been times when I've had numismatic burnout for one reason or another. But in the end there's always siren song that lures me back. Sometimes you just need to unplug for a while and let the batteries recharge.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>for those with short memories or the new arrivals, it was perhaps a little over a year ago when RYK publicly announced that he was done buying coins, but that passed. now we have another phase where his interest has "declined suddenly and dramatically" for whatever reasons. i suggest we just let him live his life as he chooses and try really, really hard not to turn this into some pathetic campfire episode. >>

So because I very much enjoy RYK's threads and commentary here, and will certainly miss the friendly banter, im somehow the instigater of a "pathetic campfire episode"? Its human nature to enjoy people's company Keets, even if it is limited to online exchanges only.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not want to be:

1) Mysterious
    2) A drama queen
    3) Accused of using the USCF to pump my BST sales

but suffice to say, my interest in coins and related activities, including the forum, has declined suddenly and dramatically over the last couple months. I would prefer to think of this as a temporary break but also recognize that I have been at this full tilt for the last seven years and have had nearly a lifetime worth of collecting experiences in that time.

As others have stated, it's part of the Numismatic Circle of Life™ (what's with me and all of these darn Circles? image ), and I will possibly and likely be back in the fold when my interests are fired up again in the future.

RYK >>

To wake yourself up, you need to buy one of ....................... THESE!!! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He hasn't signed the adoption papers I sent him image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Of course he's lost interest. Once you collect Dahlonega nothing else can measure up.image

RYK, enjoy your time away.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Now who is Longacre going to talk to? I don't think many people would notice if I left, course I haven't been here nearly as long either (nor contributed nearly as much.)
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>(P.S. - are you taking that alt Longacre on a hiatus too? image ) >>

image >>

Pretty funny. I hope RYK's break is just temporary. Sometimes it is good to get away for a while.

I guess these boards will just have Longacre to kick around for the time being. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    I just realized that RYK and I have 5,000 PMs. Perhaps he was waiting for that milestone before he took his break. image
  • Options
    do you really think he could make it past football season without coming back to harass us about those stinkin' Steelers? image
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>do you really think he could make it past football season without coming back to harass us about those stinkin' Steelers? image >>

Best point in this thread so far. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Now who is Longacre going to talk to? >>

Himself?image

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre:

Does your wife know that you and RYK share 5,000 pms?

Mark

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he'd throw me a going away party I'd never come back.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>His loss to this Forum and to Numismatics , would be..... profound.

There are just some people that can ............... never be replaced. image >>

Geez....I hope it doesn't devastate the world markets Bear.....

Some of you guys are really funny.

Good luck RYK.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Life is worth much more than gold.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to miss his posts and his light hearted sparring with Longacre...I have learned a lot from him and hope to see him back in the future!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>do you really think he could make it past football season without coming back to harass us about those stinkin' Steelers? image >>

Best point in this thread so far. --Jerry >>

If he doesn't make it back, I will be supporting them enough for the both of us!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>His loss to this Forum and to Numismatics , would be..... profound.

There are just some people that can ............... never be replaced. image >>

Geez....I hope it doesn't devastate the world markets Bear.....

Some of you guys are really funny.

Good luck RYK. >>

I think we should go on a hunger strike.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>for those with short memories or the new arrivals, it was perhaps a little over a year ago when RYK publicly announced that he was done buying coins, but that passed. now we have another phase where his interest has "declined suddenly and dramatically" for whatever reasons. i suggest we just let him live his life as he chooses and try really, really hard not to turn this into some pathetic campfire episode. >>

And I was soooooo looking forward to roasting some marshmallows..... image

Seriously, RYK, I will miss everything about you except pictures of the Steelers. Enjoy
    your "time off".
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I think a break every couple of years is good, no need to lose interest or quit.

Based on the hunt for the Half Eagle D set and the break, then the entry into earlier colonials and classics and now another break, I will guess we will so a full tilt again in 2 months. image

Next up a complete run of modern coins in high MS.
  • Options
    I wonder if this press release is coincidental or not…

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Doug Winter Announces First Quarter 2009 Results

Portland, OR, April 29, 2009 – Doug Winter Numismatics (NYSE: DWN) today announced a net profit for the first quarter of 2009 of $7.49 million, or $0.079 per share. Net sales were $10.2 million in the first quarter of 2009. Adjusting for the translation effect of foreign currency exchange rate changes, net sales increased 37% from the comparable prior year period. All per share amounts are on a fully diluted basis.

“The turmoil from the global credit crisis and economic slowdown has quickly and deeply impacted sales for the numismatic industry, with certain coin sectors down almost 75% from year ago levels,” commented Douglas Winter, DWN Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “In the case of DWN, however, sales in the first quarter have been robust, mainly from strong purchases from a few key clients.”

Winter continued, “although DWN does not typically issue forward looking guidance, we do believe that the second quarter of 2009 will be full of challenges, particularly with the expected loss of a key client account, RYK, who has informed our company that he is taking a break from numismatics. In response, DWN is aggressively reducing costs and operating at reduced levels, with a primary objective of reducing inventory to make up for expected sales declines. Mr. Winter added, “We remain confident in the long term outlook for our business as we concentrate on managing through these immediate challenges caused by RYK.”

###
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK is gonna have alot of free time on his hands now. Maybe it's a whole house renovation coming up?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if this press release is coincidental or not…

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Doug Winter Announces First Quarter 2009 Results

Portland, OR, April 29, 2009 – Doug Winter Numismatics (NYSE: DWN) today announced a net profit for the first quarter of 2009 of $7.49 million, or $0.079 per share. Net sales were $10.2 million in the first quarter of 2009. Adjusting for the translation effect of foreign currency exchange rate changes, net sales increased 37% from the comparable prior year period. All per share amounts are on a fully diluted basis.

“The turmoil from the global credit crisis and economic slowdown has quickly and deeply impacted sales for the numismatic industry, with certain coin sectors down almost 75% from year ago levels,” commented Douglas Winter, DWN Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “In the case of DWN, however, sales in the first quarter have been robust, mainly from strong purchases from a few key clients.”

Winter continued, “although DWN does not typically issue forward looking guidance, we do believe that the second quarter of 2009 will be full of challenges, particularly with the expected loss of a key client account, RYK, who has informed our company that he is taking a break from numismatics. In response, DWN is aggressively reducing costs and operating at reduced levels, with a primary objective of reducing inventory to make up for expected sales declines. Mr. Winter added, “We remain confident in the long term outlook for our business as we concentrate on managing through these immediate challenges caused by RYK.”

### >>

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conversely, the RYK quarterly report should show decreasing inventory and a rising cash position.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

i agree. great posts in the past by ryk, but i did'nt think he was into the drama thingy

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file