Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is RYK leaving us? :-(

2»

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a good candle holder, like Mr Feld was.

Maybe you can find him here <------- CointroVerseY

HE>I

• FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>RYK is gonna have alot of free time on his hands now. >>

RYK is a young man with two kids now at the age that keep parents very, very busy. I doubt he will have that much free time.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

RYK is a young man with two kids now at the age that keep parents very, very busy. I doubt he will have that much free time. >>

Agreed, I have two kids as well and am on a reverse curfew. I can't start anything coin related till they go to sleep between 11 and 12. image
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

RYK is a young man with two kids now at the age that keep parents very, very busy. I doubt he will have that much free time. >>

Agreed, I have two kids as well and am on a reverse curfew. I can't start anything coin related till they go to sleep between 11 and 12. image >>

good to know I'm not the only one!
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>His loss to this Forum and to Numismatics , would be..... profound.

There are just some people that can ............... never be replaced. image >>

Geez....I hope it doesn't devastate the world markets Bear.....

Some of you guys are really funny.

Good luck RYK. >>

I think we should go on a hunger strike. >>

Sure, right after a few trips to the buffet at All U Can Eat. image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>

Sure, right after a few trips to the buffet at All U Can Eat. image >>

There's a ..Buffet..???...No one told me there was a Buffet..!!!....image
    ......Larry........image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK will become a Darksider... I predict that Great Britain and France will be his area of interest

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if this press release is coincidental or not…

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Doug Winter Announces First Quarter 2009 Results

Portland, OR, April 29, 2009 – Doug Winter Numismatics (NYSE: DWN) today announced a net profit for the first quarter of 2009 of $7.49 million, or $0.079 per share. Net sales were $10.2 million in the first quarter of 2009. Adjusting for the translation effect of foreign currency exchange rate changes, net sales increased 37% from the comparable prior year period. All per share amounts are on a fully diluted basis.

“The turmoil from the global credit crisis and economic slowdown has quickly and deeply impacted sales for the numismatic industry, with certain coin sectors down almost 75% from year ago levels,” commented Douglas Winter, DWN Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “In the case of DWN, however, sales in the first quarter have been robust, mainly from strong purchases from a few key clients.”

Winter continued, “although DWN does not typically issue forward looking guidance, we do believe that the second quarter of 2009 will be full of challenges, particularly with the expected loss of a key client account, RYK, who has informed our company that he is taking a break from numismatics. In response, DWN is aggressively reducing costs and operating at reduced levels, with a primary objective of reducing inventory to make up for expected sales declines. Mr. Winter added, “We remain confident in the long term outlook for our business as we concentrate on managing through these immediate challenges caused by RYK.”

### >>

DEUTSCHE WOHNEN N (DWN.F)

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Wah.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe with all his forum free time he's gonna open a image in Chicago just to hang out with Gecko image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    He liked the Patriots, right?

Failblog has some ugly tattoos today and this one reminded me of RYK. How unfortunate.

• rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>He liked the Patriots, right?

Failblog has some ugly tattoos today and this one reminded me of RYK. How unfortunate.

image >>

This may get him to come out of lurking! image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

And now it appears Mr. Longacre has gone RYK.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's always the Darkside. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it's temporary coin fatigue. I've had it for a while now. It happened when I realized how many ways a coin can be tampered with, how many have, and how difficult it is to know when one has.
    I believe I saw him reply to someone's post about a week ago.

He seems to be lurking again.
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe I saw him reply to someone's post about a week ago.

He seems to be lurking again. >>

He posted today, not that I thought it was a noteworthy event.

> not that I thought it was a noteworthy event.

Wait just a minute! RYK posts have become notable events! I've only seen two of them since Mr. Longacre left the Perth mint. There may be others I've missed but I would still classify current RYK posts as being excessively rare. I suppose this rarity factor will go down if a bag full of them is found sometime soon in a StL bank vault, or dredged up from a sunken ship now resting on the bottom of the Mississippi river. image
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>> Everyone goes through periods of fluctuating interest.

Very true. I remember seeing RYK go through something similar in years past. A bit of detachment is often good for the spirit. >>

That is why my wife does that to me. I won't take it so hard next time she pushes me out of bed. image

Hoard the keys.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think it is high time that RYK rejoins the boards. Until that point, Longacre will continue his silent protest.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I think it is high time that RYK rejoins the boards. Until that point, Longacre will continue his silent protest. >>

That is a noble gesture on your part.

There should be more loyalty such as yours in our society.
    It is sadly lacking.

peacockcoins

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Well, Longacre is lurking.
    Paul

• << <i>Well, Longacre is lurking. >>

That is a very disturbing image...

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I liked SageRed better.....feistier.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

• << <i>Personally, I think it is high time that RYK rejoins the boards. Until that point, Longacre will continue his silent protest. >>

Well you didnt remain silent to long.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I can relate to what he's going through, or at least what it seems like.

I love coin collecting as much as ever. Unfortunately, for what I like that means dealing with the coin market and the coin business, with all the fakes, the kingmakers of plastic, the bean-stickers, all that crap. It just makes it a lot less fun. I hate what the business and the coin market have become -- a clearing house for plastic and stickers, with the other alternative being barraged by Chinese fakes of increasing quality.

Maybe I'll just go back to collecting vintage calculators. Unfortunately I'd have to slab all my better coins to sell them.
  • zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825

<< <i>Maybe I'll just go back to collecting vintage calculators. Unfortunately I'd have to slab all my better coins to sell them. >>

Man! I love vintage calculators. I had a collection for a while but had to sell it off when tough times hit in 2001 (was out of work for a while). I would really like to find one of the very first desktop HP's in working condition. Those were really neat pieces of work.

I guess the collector gene extends beyond just coins... image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know why he left?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

> Anyone know why he left?

Not to be flippant, seriously, RYK knows. My understanding is he wanted to take a break from it all. A little time out is often good for the soul imageimage
    PerryHall, below is a quote from RYK himself in this thread.

<< <i>I do not want to be:

1) Mysterious
    2) A drama queen
    3) Accused of using the USCF to pump my BST sales

but suffice to say, my interest in coins and related activities, including the forum, has declined suddenly and dramatically over the last couple months. I would prefer to think of this as a temporary break but also recognize that I have been at this full tilt for the last seven years and have had nearly a lifetime worth of collecting experiences in that time.

As others have stated, it's part of the Numismatic Circle of Life™ (what's with me and all of these darn Circles? image ), and I will possibly and likely be back in the fold when my interests are fired up again in the future.

RYK >>

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PerryHall, below is a quote from RYK himself in this thread.

<< <i>I do not want to be:

1) Mysterious
    2) A drama queen
    3) Accused of using the USCF to pump my BST sales

but suffice to say, my interest in coins and related activities, including the forum, has declined suddenly and dramatically over the last couple months. I would prefer to think of this as a temporary break but also recognize that I have been at this full tilt for the last seven years and have had nearly a lifetime worth of collecting experiences in that time.

As others have stated, it's part of the Numismatic Circle of Life™ (what's with me and all of these darn Circles? image ), and I will possibly and likely be back in the fold when my interests are fired up again in the future.

RYK >>

>>

Sounds like burnout.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>

Sounds like burnout. >>

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • I always thought him and Laura had a lot in common
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always thought him and Laura had a lot in common >>

You bumped a 2 month old thread about Laura and her market report to say this:

"nothing but self serving propoganda"

So I'm curious...in what ways do you think Laura and RYK have a lot in common?
  • He will be back when Brett Favre returns.....

Oh wait.
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He will be back when Brett Favre returns.....

Oh wait. >>

Now that is funny!
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He will be back when Brett Favre returns.....

Oh wait. >>

So with Favre in mind, does it mean RYK will return on the NGC boards?

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comrade RYKski, we know you are collecting Moderns and Colonials now. That makes complete sense to me!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file