Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hairlines

For some reason, hairline scratches on an MS coin automatically make it undesirable. Put those same hairlines on a proof coin, and it gets graded PR63. I never understood the philosophy of this. Arent hairlines, well, hairlines regardless of whether the coin is a proof or an unc? I mean, the metal used to make both versions is IDENTICAL, so its not as if the proof coin is "easier" to hairline.

Comments

• Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    I thought you were talking about my receding hairline....image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Proof coins are far easier to hairline. The surfaces are much more delicate than business strikes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Proof coins are far easier to hairline. The surfaces are much more delicate than business strikes.

Russ, NCNE >>

Its the same metal though, correct? Which means it has the same exact Mohs hardness scale number. Which means that the surface of an unc should be as easy/hard to hairline as that of a proof. Where is my logic flawed Russ?
  • Options
    Same metal, different finish.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's part "accountability" of the proofs that is the underlying importance of grading hairlined specimens.
    Pure conjecture, though.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Usually hairlines on an MS coin are from a cleaning- a few stray hairlines won't get it bagged. I agree with Russ. image
  • Options
    There are a lot of AU58 graded business strikes that are really mint state coins with too many hairlines.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    few things in coins cause as much frothing wild eyed, bald-headed paranoia as the mere mention of the word "hairlines". while an excesss is definitely not cool, i agree w/ you that if a biz. strike picks up a few here & there, so what? would you rather have rim dings? scratches? corrosion spots?

i basically agree w/ the o.p. thesis. sure proof coins pick up hairlines more easily, but they are also less impactful on the appeal of a biz. strike.

K S
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a prime example of the endless search for perfect coins.... collect and enjoy the coins. Sure, a nice clean coin is a great possession, however, perfection? Only if you want to profit.... and it would appear, there are less and less collectors and more and more profiteers. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all proofs with hairlines come back proof 63. In fact, this one was once in a NCS holder I assume because of the hairlines.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file