Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps MANTLE Rookie PSA 3 - POOF!!!!

The above listed card recently auctioned just disappeared!!! Anyone have any idea what happened???

Mantle Rookie

Comments

• Options
    off ebay sale...gotta be..he got an offer he didnt want to refuse is my guess.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options

<< <i>The above listed card recently auctioned just disappeared!!! Anyone have any idea what happened???

Mantle Rookie >>

It reminds me not to deal with the seller. No matter how trustworthy the seller is, I don't like sellers who cancel eBay auctions just because the price is too low or someone made a better offer. I believe that once a competing bid has been made, it should be honored. Otherwise, don't even bother selling.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    VCP Average was only $8,350.....He wanted $11,000......that would have been a new record......last I checked, I thought we were in a recession and the card market was depressed?!?!?!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The above listed card recently auctioned just disappeared!!! Anyone have any idea what happened???

Mantle Rookie >>

It reminds me not to deal with the seller. No matter how trustworthy the seller is, I don't like sellers who cancel eBay auctions just because the price is too low or someone made a better offer. I believe that once a competing bid has been made, it should be honored. Otherwise, don't even bother selling. >>

The listing is showing no bids were placed? Or am I missing something? If he didn't have any bids then is there harm in ending it early?
  • Options

<< <i>The listing is showing no bids were placed? >>

All bids were cancelled.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>off ebay sale >>

Very likely. Received a good offer? Probably. And, of course, it's always nice to avoid having to pay eBay and Paypal fees, which according to this Calculator would be $148.96 and $246.80, respectively. (Wow! That's a lot in fees!)

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say he likely sold it.
  • Options
    The last time I had check the card it was at 7600.00. It also seems to me that someone decided to pay some big bucks to buy this card off ebay.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    yeah, he quoted me 11K to end the auction. that was too high for me. then he kept emailing me and came all the way down to 9.25K. I imagine that's what somebody offered him. I was just planning on bidding in the off chance that I could have picked it up for around VCP average. I was pretty sure, though, that somebody would come in with an offer he couldn't refuse.

Plus, I think he had to sell it because he recently upgraded on this card.

• Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    I am about an hour from the seller and had emailed him about an offer. his price was too high for me but he was VERY willing to make an off ebay deal on the card and end the listing.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Mike, another seller that I'll never buy from.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I've dealth with this seller in the past, and he was a pretty stand-up guy. I'm sure he took the greenbacks and ran. Good for him!
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    It says the auction was ended due to an error in the listing. He probably found out that the 1952 Topps isn't Mantle's rookie card and felt bad he promoted it as a rookie card. I'm sure it will be corrected and listed again soon so Ebay can collect the fees they worked so hard for.
  • Options
    I agree, great for him. I just don't spend my money with people that end auctions early.

A month ago someone asked me to do just that, Offered 75.00 for a card. No bids had been placed yet
    but 3 people were watching it. Instead of taking the money and running I let the auction go.

A valued customer of mine won it for 45.00. Had I ended it early and sold it that valued customer might not have won

the 11 cards last week from me. He might have said screw him (me)

A few months ago someone here created a thread and asked for advice on the best way to sell a specific card.

Of course he also linked the auction. (SPAM) I had plans on bidding on that card and it had at least 6 bids on it when

he ended it early, came here and boasted how much he sold it for. Since then he has listed a few cards I might have been

interested in, but since he night sell it from under me I pass his auctions by.

So yes I agree good for them, I'm happy that they made a sale.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It says the auction was ended due to an error in the listing. He probably found out that the 1952 Topps isn't Mantle's rookie card and felt bad he promoted it as a rookie card. I'm sure it will be corrected and listed again soon so Ebay can collect the fees they worked so hard for. >>

I think I only ever ended one or two auctions early and it was because I really did have an error in the listing - There are only a few things you can choose for a "reason" - I don't think ebay really gives a chit that much - they still get their listing fees.

As for the guy ending his auction early...I'd be sure he doesn't give a chit either if he hurt any feelings over grabbing whatever money he grabbed for a '52 mantle - I don't know this seller but I mean cut him a break on this one - you're talking around 8 -11 large here.
  • Options
    BIGBEN7BIGBEN7 Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I agree, give the guy a break. Were talking about 52 Mantle not a modern crap card. He must have got a very good offer and avoided fleabay fees whats wrong with that.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    eBay = Free Advertising? (Well, except for listing fees.)

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It says the auction was ended due to an error in the listing. He probably found out that the 1952 Topps isn't Mantle's rookie card and felt bad he promoted it as a rookie card. I'm sure it will be corrected and listed again soon so Ebay can collect the fees they worked so hard for. >>

I think I only ever ended one or two auctions early and it was because I really did have an error in the listing - There are only a few things you can choose for a "reason" - I don't think ebay really gives a chit that much - they still get their listing fees.

As for the guy ending his auction early...I'd be sure he doesn't give a chit either if he hurt any feelings over grabbing whatever money he grabbed for a '52 mantle - I don't know this seller but I mean cut him a break on this one - you're talking around 8 -11 large here. >>

The listing fees are "minimal" compared to the Final Value Vees.

Furthermore, if I were the high bidder, I would be greatly upset if someone pulled the rug from under me.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    The irony behind this, is if he let the auction run, he MIGHT have gotten more money thru the auction rather than selling it offline.....
  • Options
    The irony behind this, is if he let the auction run, he MIGHT have gotten more money thru the auction rather than selling it offline.....

I am sure he did better then letting the auction run. The person must have given him an offer he could not refuse and he avoided the ebay and paypal fees.
  • Options
    I'm happy for the guy, I hope he did well.

I won't be bidding on any of his items ever.

No need to give him a break, I don't really care.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i> I'm sure it will be corrected and listed again soon so Ebay can collect the fees they worked so hard for. >>

LMAO. image
  • Options
    Bigben, SteveK et al

Suppose you were the high bidder, say at 8k and were willing to go to 10k.

You played by the rules, some schmoe comes in, emails the guy and gets it for 9k.

You still have no problem with that? Had the auction ran its course, you may have gotten it for 9,100.00 or
    900.00 less then what you were willing to bid.

Stevek of course the guy does not give a chit, that goes without saying, if he did he would have allowed the auction to
    run its course.

I wonder how many people had bids and snipes set?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Winpitcher,

Suppose the bidder was going out of town or cannot be near a computer when the auction ends. He was just trying to get a card he really wants. There have been a few times I was not going to be at computer when the auction I was bidding on was going to end. So I contacted the seller and made an great offer to end the auction early. This is a very nice card for the grade and as you can tell alot of interest.
  • Options
    Ben the bidder could use a snipe. So basically screw everyone else?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

while many don't like ending auctions early, sometimes with a card at this price you have to go with the sure thing if you have a deal. last thing a seller needs is a zero feedback bidder winning your 10K $$ 52' Mantle and not paying or causing problems with the delivery and a paypal scam
  • Options

<< <i>while many don't like ending auctions early, sometimes with a card at this price you have to go with the sure thing if you have a deal. last thing a seller needs is a zero feedback bidder winning your 10K $$ 52' Mantle and not paying or causing problems with the delivery and a paypal scam >>

I disagree. If you don't want to play by the rules, don't come to eBay. There are a lot of "other venues" to sell your cards . I'm sure if it were any other auction site, they would be very annoyed if you tried to do such a thing to them.
  • Options
    Basically what sellers like this do is they use ebay for its traffic then sell off it.

Not fair to ebay, not fair to other bidders.

Now the buyer of this card has NO protection.

When he gets this card in hand and sees just how bad that spooned out crease is
    he has no leverage in making a return.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Basically what sellers like this do is they use ebay for its traffic then sell off it.

Not fair to ebay, not fair to other bidders.

Now the buyer of this card has NO protection.

When he gets this card in hand and sees just how bad that spooned out crease is
    he has no leverage in making a return.

Steve >>

Steve, I think the guy that bought it was local here in Seattle and purchased/picked up in person. When I spoke with him, he had several interested parties here in Seattle (supposedly). Nevertheless, I can see why people get upset by this. And, I'm guessing most people don't know much about spooning creases. I know I didn't.

• Options
    Then he could have used craigslist. Once he put it up for auction on ebay
    he should have let the auction run its course. I also at the same time agree
    that the item belongs to the seller and he can do whatever he chooses with it
    during the time it is up for auction. Ebay afterall does allow for sellers to end auctions early.
    Some sellers even mention it in the description. Some say that this item is also for sale
    in their store and could be sold before the auction ends.

I have no problem with him selling offline. My opinion is that I simply do not bid with sellers that
    do this.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>Not fair to ebay >>

All the more reason to do it. With the way they've turned their backs on sellers, I'm all for sticking it to feebay!
  • Options

<< <i>

All the more reason to do it. With the way they've turned their backs on sellers, I'm all for sticking it to feebay! >>

Could you give some examples of how they turned their backs on sellers?
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

All the more reason to do it. With the way they've turned their backs on sellers, I'm all for sticking it to feebay! >>

Could you give some examples of how they turned their backs on sellers? >>

Sellers not able to leave feedback.

The 18th time they raised their fees.

The rating system in general.

Seller items not coming up in search.

Need more?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>Could you give some examples of how they turned their backs on sellers? >>

Zero recourse against scum buyers. If you file a NPB, the bidder can have it removed with a simple phone call. On top of that, sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for those scum buyers. If the buyer pays and you send the advertised item in a timely manner, they can receive the item, file a SNAD claim and return a stack of commons. Paypal (owned by feebay) will then pull the money from your account and the scum buyer gets the product and their money back.

Don't even get me started on the fees.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I hope the seller got what he wanted for the card...

If anyone truly wanted the card they would have used the BIN...

Seller probably could care less about bids / potential bidders / future bidders that will block his auctions...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Could you give some examples of how they turned their backs on sellers? >>

Zero recourse against scum buyers. If you file a NPB, the bidder can have it removed with a simple phone call. On top of that, sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for those scum buyers. If the buyer pays and you send the advertised item in a timely manner, they can receive the item, file a SNAD claim and return a stack of commons. Paypal (owned by feebay) will then pull the money from your account and the scum buyer gets the product and their money back.

Don't even get me started on the fees. >>

In which case, I would think just not to sell on eBay then. To me, eBay is like Microsoft. You can complain all you want, but for most people, if you want to get the respective services done, you need to use their services. Can you think of a better venue to sell your stuff than eBay? Sure, there is the BST, but that is very limited in the scope of potential buyers. There are also other methods too, but some take a long time to pay you and have certain rules also.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

In which case, I would think just not to sell on eBay then. To me, eBay is like Microsoft. You can complain all you want, but for most people, if you want to get the respective services done, you need to use their services. Can you think of a better venue to sell your stuff than eBay? Sure, there is the BST, but that is very limited in the scope of potential buyers. There are also other methods too, but some take a long time to pay you and have certain rules also. >>

You asked for some examples of how ebay has turned their backs on sellers.

I provided some examples.

You didn't argue the point.

Game. Set. Match.

Next.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

In which case, I would think just not to sell on eBay then. To me, eBay is like Microsoft. You can complain all you want, but for most people, if you want to get the respective services done, you need to use their services. Can you think of a better venue to sell your stuff than eBay? Sure, there is the BST, but that is very limited in the scope of potential buyers. There are also other methods too, but some take a long time to pay you and have certain rules also. >>

You asked for some examples of how ebay has turned their backs on sellers.

I provided some examples.

You didn't argue the point.

Game. Set. Match.

Next. >>

Screw it, dude. I've argued the point, in that if you don't like the rules, don't sell on eBay.

• Options

<< <i>Screw it, dude. I've argued the point, in that if you don't like the rules, don't sell on eBay. >>

Ok, "dude".
  • Options
    "If anyone truly wanted the card they would have used the BIN..."

That would be difficult since that auction DID NOT have a BIN.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Its the worse of two evils. Someone pulling an auction early or avoiding feebay FVF.

If I had to choose, I would go with supporting the circumvention of ebay fees.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    two words.... SAFETY BID image
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    I probably would have ended it too . It all comes down to the money . If you were to block me because i ended an auction then
    so be it . You would only be one person not bidding on my stuff . There are millions of other people who would still bid.

Plus , with an expensive card like that maybe the seller wanted to deal with a buyer that would actually pay instead
    of a buyer that would end up having buyers remorse
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Winpitcher,

Suppose the bidder was going out of town or cannot be near a computer when the auction ends. He was just trying to get a card he really wants. There have been a few times I was not going to be at computer when the auction I was bidding on was going to end. So I contacted the seller and made an great offer to end the auction early. This is a very nice card for the grade and as you can tell alot of interest. >>

This sounds silly to me and like a waste of your $. Whatever 'great' offer you are going to make, put that in your snipe and you will likely win the card at less than your offer price.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    If the seller got his price, good for him. Greedbay/PP take a ridiculous amount of money these days. Any time you can get your price and avoid one or both fees, I say good for you. And if you want a card bad enough, I think you HAVE to make an offer during the auction, at least to let the seller know you're interested in the event that he wants to end early.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    guess you missed the point...

it did have a buy it now...

ebay dealer style...

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>If the seller got his price, good for him. Greedbay/PP take a ridiculous amount of money these days. Any time you can get your price and avoid one or both fees, I say good for you. And if you want a card bad enough, I think you HAVE to make an offer during the auction, at least to let the seller know you're interested in the event that he wants to end early. >>

Yes...someone finally gets it...excellent post...

- uncut

• Options
    It had plenty of interest the bidding was up over 7k.

At least one person here emailed the seller and showed interest.

The bottom line is simply Ebay allows for dealers to end auctions early, they can sell to the high bidder, they can
    end for whatever reason they choose. It is after all there item.

And like sellers can sell offline, potential bidders can choose not to bid with such sellers.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Double post.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    guess you missed the point...

it did have a buy it now...

ebay dealer style...

lol nice try.