Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The much anticipated UHR Pops as of March 15, 2009...***updated as of November 30, 2010!!***

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
Down to 67% MS70's!!! image

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All are First Strike?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>All are First Strike? >>

Yup, except for................

• Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭
    NM image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...even a couple 68's.

I examined mine closely before submitting it and found this. See pic. I mentioned it in an earlier thread and a few members guessed it was from the edge lettering process. Someone pointed out that strictly speaking (Sheridan) if it happened during the minting process it would not lower the grade.

Whatever their reasoning PCGS gave it a 69.
    Lance.

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Looks like PCGS is once again following NGC's lead in the modern market. If they are, expect to see an explosion in the 70 pops in all bullion dates and series. PCGS killed the value of rare 70s and all the 69s when they loosened in 2002. Looks like they may just do it again. Better start selling all those 70s before they become as common as 69s. Just my opinion based upon the evidence here, no need to flame.
  • Options
    Die polish already on this non-first strike UHR on eBay??

Come to think of it, my UHR had tiny "brushed" lines in the fields.

You have to tilt the coin in the right light to see them.

This photo just may have captured them.

Anyone else see these on their UHR's????

eBay Link
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    I examined mine closely before submitting it and found this. See pic. I mentioned it in an earlier thread and a few members guessed it was from the edge lettering process. Someone pointed out that strictly speaking (Sheridan) if it happened during the minting process it would not lower the grade.

We sent in (2) with the rim damage like that, (1) also had a dink on the reverse (sun) they graded (1) ms69 (1) ms70.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like PCGS is once again following NGC's lead in the modern market. If they are, expect to see an explosion in the 70 pops in all bullion dates and series. PCGS killed the value of rare 70s and all the 69s when they loosened in 2002. Looks like they may just do it again. Better start selling all those 70s before they become as common as 69s. Just my opinion based upon the evidence here, no need to flame. >>

You nailed it Fats, tho whats the likelihood of them having to pay out on a grade guarantee or other issue?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    I expect to see an explosion of the numbers in the next week.

Or I made a horrible mistake in selling early! image
  • Options

<< <i>I expect to see an explosion of the numbers in the next week.

Or I made a horrible mistake in selling early! image >>

I can't wait to see how many 'non' First Strike' coins come into play.....will take 2 to 3 weeks to really get a feel for the #'s.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Woohoo another UHR thread imageimage
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like PCGS is once again following NGC's lead in the modern market. If they are, expect to see an explosion in the 70 pops in all bullion dates and series. PCGS killed the value of rare 70s and all the 69s when they loosened in 2002. Looks like they may just do it again. Better start selling all those 70s before they become as common as 69s. Just my opinion based upon the evidence here, no need to flame. >>

You nailed it Fats, tho whats the likelihood of them having to pay out on a grade guarantee or other issue? >>

If they do they will pay less with the decreased value of the inflated pops.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Yes...those very fine ilnes are die polish.

Where do you find the pops on these?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see somebody use if for a pocket piece...and then get it graded VF.

• Options

<< <i>Yes...those very fine ilnes are die polish.

Where do you find the pops on these? >>

Thanks Sainty, looks like I'm learning some coin stuff.

I would love to see the very first UHR that came of the press for comparison.

GB

ps. Where are those die polish pops anywho?? image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes...those very fine ilnes are die polish.

Where do you find the pops on these? >>

Thanks Sainty, looks like I'm learning some coin stuff.

I would love to see the very first UHR that came of the press for comparison.

GB

ps. Where are those die polish pops anywho?? image >>

Much of the Canadian gold has vertical die polish lines from the bottom to the top of the coin, it's actually pretty cool looking.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    JMHO... Not flaming here...

Do you guys honestly think this UHR masterpiece is going to be a flop?

This is a very unique coin.. Has tons of history behind it and the die polish scratches that some are referring about is normal.

We must as coin collectors, not mom and pop flippers must give credit to the U.S. Mint and Mr. Moys commitment of pulling this off.

The grade in my opinion of Ms 70 with Die polish scratches are correct.. These scratches have nothing to do with the overall grading of this UHR coin.

I want you guys to really take a good 20 minutes in the next few days and compare this gem to other coins you have in High Relief and then ask yourself, hey there's no gouges,dings,dents in the fields, but when I look at the 3-D image of the gorgeous striking of this coin, it's a winner in all phases.

On another note with this discussion... The 70's are non typical of any other coin that has been deemed so by PCGS... It seems some are not happy that the pops are high... Or are they?

It's too early to view this coin in such a way that many of you are doing.. image Again JMHO..
  • Options

<< <i>It's too early to view this coin in such a way that many of you are doing.. >>

I have an 03/09/09 date on mine. I can't see it yet. image
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The 70's are non typical of any other coin that has been deemed so by PCGS... It seems some are not happy that the pops are high... Or are they? >>

Well, I hope this will help anyone who is upset with the grading distribution...

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Just curious,
    What would any of you do if your UHR arrived with a PCGS MS-69 first strike label, as mine did?
    Would you sell it and attempt to get another, hoping for an MS-70?
    Would you return it?
    Would you be happy with the 69 FS and stop whining, like I'm doing now?

Please do not answer if you have more than one of these, with some graded 69 and some graded 70. Those responses are designed to get on my nerves. Let's assume you have one and only one of these.
  • Options
    I have overcome a dilemma. I have the "coveted" PCGS MS70 FS. Going on ebay for $2500+. I could flip it, but this coin is unique in many respects.
    I am going to forgo the quick profit for a coin that is truely unique and spectacular. And of course the potential to be quite rare.

ps:

I have been a reader of the Collector's Corner forums for quite a while. I have finally chimed in and plan to submit my humble opinions, wants, needs and ideas(no blather here)!
    Thanks to all who provide interesting and informative conversation.
  • Options
    Welcome home, eggbone!!! image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have overcome a dilemma. I have the "coveted" PCGS MS70 FS. Going on ebay for $2500+. I could flip it, but this coin is unique in many respects.
    I am going to forgo the quick profit for a coin that is truely unique and spectacular. And of course the potential to be quite rare.

ps:

I have been a reader of the Collector's Corner forums for quite a while. I have finally chimed in and plan to submit my humble opinions, wants, needs and ideas(no blather here)!
    Thanks to all who provide interesting and informative conversation. >>

First, welcome to the Forum!!!

Second, there is NOTHING AT ALL unique about this coin. Take your $1k plus in profits and order another from the Mint!!!
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    I originally got two, in case I ever needed to make some $$ or flip or whatever. I actually got both in time for First Strike. But I just lost my job and am thinking it might be smart to ebay them both, while there's a certain scarcity premium. Although I wonder if the FS designation will help it retain its value over the near term.
    Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although I wonder if the FS designation will help it retain its value over the near term. >>

The answer is an unequivocal YES, over the non FS labels. As past history will bear me out. Not only in the short term, but also in the long term. FS will not prevent a coin from "tanking," but it will not "tank" as much as a non FS label.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have overcome a dilemma. I have the "coveted" PCGS MS70 FS. Going on ebay for $2500+. I could flip it, but this coin is unique in many respects.

ps:

Thanks to all who provide interesting and informative conversation. >>

First, welcome to the Forum!!!

Second, there is NOTHING AT ALL unique about this coin. Take your $1k plus in profits and order another from the Mint!!! >>

Easier said than done. Last I checked, it was still one to a family and if what some were hearing from the Mint reps at the ANA Money Show is correct, it may never open up to allowing for a legal 2nd order for the same family.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Although I wonder if the FS designation will help it retain its value over the near term. >>

The answer is an unequivocal YES, over the non FS labels. As past history will bear me out. Not only in the short term, but also in the long term. FS will not prevent a coin from "tanking," but it will not "tank" as much as a non FS label. >>

OPA,
    Cheer me up.
    Mine is a first strike MS69.
    I'm looking for feedback on the desirability of the 69 FS grade as opposed to the "perfect" 70.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome home, eggbone!!! image >>

Indeed! image
  • Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    Which would prefer a 69 FS or a plain 70 ?
    image Steam Power
  • Options

<< <i>Which would prefer a 69 FS or a plain 70 ? >>

That's a tough one. If you are a pure coin collector , probably the MS70.
    If you are a slab collector, maybe the FS
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Since Mine arrived with a 3/11/09 mailing date, would that mean I qualify for a LDFSMS [hopefully] 70 (Last Day First Strike)?
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options

<< <i>

If you are a slab collector, maybe the FS >>

Great question and a great distinction presented in the reply.

However, I vehemently argue that quality trumps first strike designation regardless of your affections for slabs.

If this is not true,well then please pass me an HSN employment application.

It is FS 70, 70, then FS 69, then 69 etc. etc.

And if you really want an argument, first strike designation means nothing to a coin purist. First strike is marketing and money, pure and simple.

Cheers! image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>

If you are a slab collector, maybe the FS >>

It's not a tough one at all. In fact it is very simple. Coin collectors collect coins, First Strike collectors collect ink on a slip of paper. There is zero numismatic value to a first strike label. When it comes to coins, the current use of first strike is meaningless. So, if you are a coin collector get the 70. Since it is the more common grade it should be selling at no premium to mint issue. Anything more makes no sense.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

I thought PCGS is tough on moderns? So I guess gradeflation affects moderns too after all; soon you'll see this being traded with the same respect as ICG modern coins.

credibility for PCGS moderns is waning it appears

• Options

<< <i>If you are a slab collector, maybe the FS >>

It's not a tough one at all. In fact it is very simple. Coin collectors collect coins, First Strike collectors collect ink on a slip of paper. There is zero numismatic value to a first strike label. When it comes to coins, the current use of first strike is meaningless. So, if you are a coin collector get the 70. Since it is the more common grade it should be selling at no premium to mint issue. Anything more makes no sense. >>

image I truly amazes me that any extra value exists for FS. The folks profiting from it are indeed in touch with the modern day buyers mindset (can blame them). To take something out of thin air and create a demand for it, it reminds me of this carbon credit thing inevitably coming our way. Someone is going to make big money on something that may or may not be an issue.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought PCGS is tough on moderns? So I guess gradeflation affects moderns too after all; soon you'll see this being traded with the same respect as ICG modern coins.

credibility for PCGS moderns is waning it appears >>

To me, credibility wanes if, and only if, the graded coins don't make the grade. I know that ICG's don't.
    If the coins are coming out better, and more grade higher to show it, I don't have a problem with it. I don't go by pop numbers, I go by how the coin actually looks and grades.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    FS should stand for First Sold, not first strike. Given that CW reported an average die life of 500 coins for the UHR, it seems to me that the first strike from a new pair of dies in September will yield a much better coin that the 499th one out of the first set of dies.

This is all a charade IMHO.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I originally got two, in case I ever needed to make some $$ or flip or whatever. I actually got both in time for First Strike. But I just lost my job and am thinking it might be smart to ebay them both, while there's a certain scarcity premium. Although I wonder if the FS designation will help it retain its value over the near term. >>

My opinion is, the trend is down.

• Options
    Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Which would you prefer, a 69 with awesome eye appeal or a 70 with less eye appeal?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

If I were a collector of modern gold, I would prefer the original mint packaging.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    To make sure you have an authentic MS70, send it into CAC for their coveted label.
    Paul
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Down to 67% MS70's!!! image

image >>

Is this the same Goldbuly that thrashed Mint junk a ways back ??????
  • Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Which would you prefer, a 69 with awesome eye appeal or a 70 with less eye appeal? >>

I would take the 70 in both cases, I guess I've never seen a 70 with less eye appeal than a 69. image
    image Steam Power
  • Options
    I am now as we speak having the Mint box that the UHR came in custom done by a wood worker to fit the slabed coin cant wait to see what it looks like with the slab in that nice box.image
    Brian
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Down to 67% MS70's!!! image

image >>

Is this the same Goldbuly that thrashed Mint junk a ways back ?????? >>

What chu talkin' 'bout, bestday!!!

Actually, as the bully of gold...I decree that there is no such thing as 'Gold' modern crap!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>All are First Strike? >>

Yup, except for................

image >>

One of the two Non 1st strike MS70's is at $2000 on ebay and going off tonight!!!(not mine) link

Ended at $2,025 for non 1st strike... I think some money was left on the table with the choice not to go with 1st strike...
  • Options
    As of March 22, 2009..........

~68% are MS70!!!
  • Options

<< <i>As of March 22, 2009..........

~68% are MS70!!! >>

The Non First Strikes will start pouring in next week and beyond!!!

I predict there will be total ~1500 MS70FS's....anyone else care to chime in???
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guy I work with has one of the 68's. It has a ding on the reverse in the breast...and it is a FS...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious,
    What would any of you do if your UHR arrived with a PCGS MS-69 first strike label, as mine did?
    Would you sell it and attempt to get another, hoping for an MS-70?
    Would you return it?
    Would you be happy with the 69 FS and stop whining, like I'm doing now?

Please do not answer if you have more than one of these, with some graded 69 and some graded 70. Those responses are designed to get on my nerves. Let's assume you have one and only one of these. >>

Can't return it to the mint after 7 days. New policy.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file