Home U.S. Coin Forum

First Strike Guess 2009 UHR Final number

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who can guess the final UHR 2009 First Strike total through PCGS (any grade) total:

I have a theroy, if enough people guess and we combine the numbers and find the mean it will be close to the real number.

SO.....what do you think the final number of First Strikes will be with PCGS on this coin any grade? Please any negitive comments or (who cares) etc just go away and do not respond.

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Legitimate ones? Zero.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess 5000
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who can guess the final UHR 2009 First Strike total through PCGS (any grade) total:

I have a theroy, if enough people guess and we combine the numbers and find the mean it will be close to the real number.

SO.....what do you think the final number of First Strikes will be with PCGS on this coin any grade? Please any negitive comments or (who cares) etc just go away and do not respond. >>

Impossible to obtain an accurate number. It could take years for "unopened" boxes to be graded. Don't forget slab breakout of the MS69's.
    Heck, the 20th FS ASE # are still going up.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    OPA good point, perhaps we can obtain the amount of coins shipped by the US Mint by March 11...
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>Who can guess the final UHR 2009 First Strike total through PCGS (any grade) total:

SO.....what do you think the final number of First Strikes will be with PCGS on this coin any grade? Please any negitive comments or (who cares) etc just go away and do not respond. >>

Impossible to obtain an accurate number. It could take years for "unopened" boxes to be graded. Don't forget slab breakout of the MS69's.
    Heck, the 20th FS ASE # are still going up. >>

How can PCGS or NGC count these nasty boxes that the coin is in. Hell my box was half open.. I think PCGS will not take any new ones after the 11th..

• << <i>

<< <i>

Heck, the 20th FS ASE # are still going up. >>

How can PCGS or NGC count these nasty boxes that the coin is in. Hell my box was half open.. I think PCGS will not take any new ones after the 11th.. >>

That's what I was just thinking.

I popped the box open today to make sure everything was there, and I sealed it back up with a piece of tape. You couldn't tell the thing was ever opened, the packaging was so poor on these.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • smetsmet Posts: 359 ✭✭

<< <i>Legitimate ones? Zero. >>

I'm going to go with 1.
    How can PCGS or NGC count these nasty boxes that the coin is in. Hell my box was half open.. I think PCGS will not take any new ones after the 11th..

Has PCGS done this before?
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has PCGS done this before? >>

I dont think the mint ever used pitney bowes/ups before.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    My guess is 1800 by summer of 2010 because of the delay in shipping many.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Question for everyone.

We all know that First Strike means First Shipped but how would you react to a die-polished Coin in a First Strike Holder? The ultimate Numismatic oxymoron?

I so wanted a First Strike Coin but my die-polished UHR just doesn't seem like it should be in one.

Come on - help me to decide. image
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a trick question, right? There can be only one first strike, just like birthdays.
    Lance.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    278 MS70's.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    I emailed UPS today and asked if it was ok to ship gold coins...here was their response..

Subject
    General / General

Response (Lillian Guo) 03/04/2009 10:41 PM
    Dear Mark,

Thank you for your inquiry. UPS does not accept any forms of coins and any article that contains more than 50 percent by weight of gold, or platinum or any combination thereof in raw form, including, but not limited to bullion, bars, grains, strip, sheet, wire, chain, ingots and the scrap of these metals for shipping.

Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.

Lillian G.
    UPS Customer Service
    Customer (UPS E-mail Communications) 03/04/2009 07:30 PM
    Your Name: Mark
    Your E-mail Address:
    Support Category: General
    Support Topic: General
    Are you the ...:
    Your Telephone:
    Account Number:
    Your Address
    Company or Name:
    Address Line 1:
    Address Line 2:
    Address Line 3:
    City:
    State:
    ZIP Code:
    Telephone:
    Ext.:
    What is your question or comment? Can anyone ship gold coins or gold bullion through UPS?
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Question for everyone.

We all know that First Strike means First Shipped but how would you react to a die-polished Coin in a First Strike Holder? The ultimate Numismatic oxymoron?

I so wanted a First Strike Coin but my die-polished UHR just doesn't seem like it should be in one.

Come on - help me to decide. image >>

Actually die polish can very well mean the first strike. I know with Lincolns, the ones that exhibit die polish are often the very first coins struck. It can mean that they were reused but dies are all polished before put into use for the first time.
  • dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    9,253 + or - 4
  • i took the tape off my box yesterday and and you could EASILY rebox it with no signs it had ever been opened
    I called three times, AFTER MARCH 11 IF THE ORIGINAL PACKAGE IS UNOPENED AND SENT IN FOR FIRST STRIKE IT WILL GET THE FS SLAB. ANYONE SAYING ANYTHING ELSE OR IMPLYING ANYTHING ELSE IS WRONG. HERE IS THE LINK...

Important Update About PCGS Services

First Strike® designation is available on qualifying coins for an additional $14 per coin. This fee covers the cost of the special First Strike insert and return of mint packaging if applicable. To qualify for First Strike, coins must be sent to PCGS or sent in a mint-sealed package postmarked within 30 days of the original release date. Cut off dates to qualify are below. For coins sent to PCGS prior to the cut off, customers are encouraged to submit coins in their acrylic capsules only. Coins submitted for First Strike should be submitted on separate submission forms from non-First Strike coins with separate return shipping.

First Strike® 2009 Cut-Off Dates:

Coin Cut-Off
    MS/PR First Spouse Gold Coins (Hannah Van Buren) Jan 7th
    MS Gold Eagle Jan 31st
    MS Silver Eagle Jan 31st
    Ultra High Relief Mar 11th
  • intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    1 million
  • ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>I called three times, AFTER MARCH 11 IF THE ORIGINAL PACKAGE IS UNOPENED AND SENT IN FOR FIRST STRIKE IT WILL GET THE FS SLAB. ANYONE SAYING ANYTHING ELSE OR IMPLYING ANYTHING ELSE IS WRONG. HERE IS THE LINK...

Important Update About PCGS Services

First Strike® designation is available on qualifying coins for an additional $14 per coin. This fee covers the cost of the special First Strike insert and return of mint packaging if applicable. To qualify for First Strike, coins must be sent to PCGS or sent in a mint-sealed package postmarked within 30 days of the original release date. Cut off dates to qualify are below. For coins sent to PCGS prior to the cut off, customers are encouraged to submit coins in their acrylic capsules only. Coins submitted for First Strike should be submitted on separate submission forms from non-First Strike coins with separate return shipping.

First Strike® 2009 Cut-Off Dates:

Coin Cut-Off
    MS/PR First Spouse Gold Coins (Hannah Van Buren) Jan 7th
    MS Gold Eagle Jan 31st
    MS Silver Eagle Jan 31st
    Ultra High Relief Mar 11th >>

I think most understand this. The point was that with the way the boxes are sealed, it may be impossible to tell if they were opened. If this is the case PCGS may look at changing their policy.
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Legitimate ones? Zero. >>

imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
    We won"t be using 1 or 1 million as 1 or 1 million will not be made, nice try.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageMAO.... Cheers, RickO
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    75 million rare first strikes will be sold.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • < 500
    It is quite amusing, everyone is a bit cheeky and brash when behind a keyboard and behind a wall or "icon"

Thanks for the legitimate
    guesses image
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Bossman88Bossman88 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    Implying absolutely no dis-respect to our fine Host.

NO coin should be certified as a FIRST STRIKE unless
    the coin in guestion has been designated so by a
    MINT DIRECTOR or one of their subordinates and issued
    with signed documentation as such.imho

Regards, Larryimage

• I think a lot of these will end up being saved in the original sealed boxes. I am guessing less than 1000 make it into FS holders.

Larry
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there should be a limit on the unopend boxes qualitfying - say two weeks or so. The box mine came in could easily be resealed and used again for a first strike submission.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Been a collector since the early 50's and I find this whole discussion beyond amazing. I would utter the same phrase in front of my computer, under it or on top of it and would gladly offer up the same comment face to face. image
    MIke me too! Been there have the scars to prove it, but I am getting to old for that BS. I got me a whole lot of Irish...

• << <i>I think there should be a limit on the unopend boxes qualitfying - say two weeks or so. The box mine came in could easily be resealed and used again for a first strike submission. >>

I can already see the resealable boxes selling for $300 on FeePayimage
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well over 1000 will get the first strike. but, can't believe that they will accept these even if "sealed" after Mar 11. The bottom of my box was half open already when it arrived! Everything inside ok though image
  • just got my coin grade back and hit a 70!!! first time my whole life i have graded a 70 rather than have to buy one!!!!!!! yippppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeimage
    LIVE WORTHILY, LOVE DEEPLY, AND DIE WITH STRENGTH AND HONOR
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    LESS than 200!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    375 total FS

what percentage will grade under ms69 ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BarcatBarcat Posts: 195 ✭✭
    what percentage will grade under ms69 ?

Mine. The only one out of 3124FS.
    Carolyn
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    World wide issues?
    5,042 US Mint issued
    326,458 Chinese versions

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• Wow the price for buy it nows for the MS70 UHR's. No way they get $10,000 plus for those. Best bet is to allow bidding via no reserve to sell coin. I bet it'll fetch between $5,000 to $7,000 max.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file