Home Precious Metals
Options

How will you prepare for the upcoming Hyper-inflation?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all that thinkin' and typin'... it'd be kind of a shame if no one ever re-read the words again, wouldn't it?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>all that thinkin' and typin'... it'd be kind of a shame if no one ever re-read the words again, wouldn't it? >>

Keep your head in the sand and your butt in the air. Your time will come.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Keep your head in the sand and your butt in the air. Your time will come. >>

I think it did. He owns this one.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm buying crunchy peanutbutter and water. That, my cholesterol meds and my wife's crazy pills should tide us over and keep us going. >>

This is a good point, I saw (Or read) recently, that drugs (Meds for ailments and stuff to get you high/take away pain) will be huge if/when a SHTF scenario happens. Not that I am condoning the hording of drugs but if/when and the looting starts, I say hit a pharmacy while everyone else is hitting the food stores image

Just sayin.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Keep your head in the sand and your butt in the air. Your time will come. >>

I think it did. He owns this one.

image >>

Yep. If greed is your goal? It sure did.

Carry on.
  • Options
    the goal was developing safe and effective treatments for cancer, multiple sclerosis, and rhumatoid arthritis, among other ailments.

the money was only a side-effect

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the goal was developing safe and effective treatments for cancer, multiple sclerosis, and rhumatoid arthritis, among other ailments.

the money was only a side-effect >>

Nice comrade b. Are you still holding?
  • Options
    I first bought that stock in 1995, once Genentech partnered with them on Rituxan. Have traded in and out of it ever since, and also played options once in a while. Each time it approximately doubled (7 times it did that) , I sold half of my stake.
    Still have a tiny slice image

BIIB 18 year chart

• Options
    Nice investment Baley. I still think it has either made or is making its death run.

Yep. If greed is your goal? It sure did

Takes a lots to confound me, but you did VanHalen. image

• Options

<< <i>Nice investment Baley. I still think it has either made or is making its death run.

Yep. If greed is your goal? It sure did

Takes a lots to confound me, but you did VanHalen. image >>

Nah, greed simply spells the end. For those who pursue it there anyway.
  • Options
    Whats greedy about buying a stock at 40 and selling it at 240? Isnt that the same as buying gold at 300 and selling it at 1800? Is that greed?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats greedy about buying a stock at 40 and selling it at 240? Isnt that the same as buying gold at 300 and selling it at 1800? Is that greed? >>

Yep, but nothing wrong with it, it's a natural market force. More rewarding than the fear that results in selling at 300 after buying at 1800. Fear and greed are what drive markets and motivate investment decisions. Without these we would be at the mercy of an outside force determining the price discovery that results from real supply and real demand. Demand is determined by nothing but fear and greed.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Fear and Greed are indeed two of the emotions that can influence investment decisions, and for many people, that's all they've got.

Others find Hope and Faith useful at times, but of course, they are frequently met with Cynicism and Scorn

• Options
    Question will there be a pole shift in the near future? Have you looked up at the night sky lately? Venus is showing increased luminosity, the earth is continuing to expand, the magnetic poles have shifted as much as the record shows. The sun is continuing to undergo a increase in peak activity. There is also evidence of Something big pulling on the farther most planets in the solar system.

New telescope on the way to me from Germany, should be here any day now. Big upgrade from my Celestron, this one much more powerful, has multiple lenses including zoom, sun, moon, and colored filters, motor that drives aim to counter Earth's rotation and keep objects in view, camera mount, other upgraded features for amateur astronomer.

I'll let you know what I see. Here on this planet, there his high inflation in certain countries (not this one though) but no "hyper" inflation anywhere on the planet, is there?

If I'm wrong and there is a currency hyperinflating (what's the standard definition?), where is it? I want to go visit.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    We all like shiny things, but this forum always reminds us, there is something more valuable than gold ... A delete button that worked for at least a decade.

Congrats on the new scope. What did you get? I've got an 8"inch edge Cat.. but I need darker skies. ;~
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question will there be a pole shift in the near future? Have you looked up at the night sky lately? Venus is showing increased luminosity, the earth is continuing to expand, the magnetic poles have shifted as much as the record shows. The sun is continuing to undergo a increase in peak activity. There is also evidence of Something big pulling on the farther most planets in the solar system.

New telescope on the way to me from Germany, should be here any day now. Big upgrade from my Celestron, this one much more powerful, has multiple lenses including zoom, sun, moon, and colored filters, motor that drives aim to counter Earth's rotation and keep objects in view, camera mount, other upgraded features for amateur astronomer.

I'll let you know what I see. Here on this planet, there his high inflation in certain countries (not this one though) but no "hyper" inflation anywhere on the planet, is there?

If I'm wrong and there is a currency hyperinflating (what's the standard definition?), where is it? I want to go visit. >>

A telescope sounds like a great idea , are you going to build a small observatory ?

Speaking of observing the heavens , last year I bought a sextant on ebay to teach myself celestial navigation. Its a fascinating concept but even though its a lifeboat model using it from a kayak at sea has proven to be completely impractical so after going over the basics I've given up on it. image
  • Options
    I remember being about 12 years old having just gotten a telescope for my birthday. My Dad pointed to 2 bright stars in the night sky and asked me what they were. With no equitorial mounts back then it took a bit of point and quickly look and try to get in focus attempts. When I finally got the star focused, I realized it was actually Jupiter, and the other star was Saturn. I know exactly how Galileo felt. It was awesone.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember being about 12 years old having just gotten a telescope for my birthday. My Dad pointed to 2 bright stars in the night sky and asked me what they were. With no equitorial mounts back then it took a bit of point and quickly look and try to get in focus attempts. When I finally got the star focused, I realized it was actually Jupiter, and the other star was Saturn. I know exactly how Galileo felt. It was awesone. >>

I got a cheap refractor back when Haley's comet was close by in the 80s, a very faint smudge in my scope at best, what a disappointment, until later I saw Saturn for the first time in my telescope, I have to say that was one of the most jaw dropping things i have ever seen, it was small but you could see the rings so clearly it didn't even seem real. All with just a little ole' scope. It's still one of my favorite objects. Orion's nebula, the moon and Jupiter are other very easy to see objects that never get old to me.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Median home price on Oahu when this thread started was $594k. Now, it's $710k. That's a 19.5% increase over seven years. Hardly worth "hypering" about. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ramen Noodles ™
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Median home price on Oahu when this thread started was $594k. Now, it's $710k. That's a 19.5% increase over seven years. Hardly worth "hypering" about. image >>

Pretty much all the inflation was in asset prices , although it wasn't hyper exactly .

Hawaii is ok for now apparently image

As far as bursting housing bubbles Australia is probably next except for Canada .

This trouble in China could take Vancouver down before the iron mining sector kills the Aussies its a tough call .
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Median home price on Oahu when this thread started was $594k. Now, it's $710k. That's a 19.5% increase over seven years. Hardly worth "hypering" about. image >>

FED likes slow inflation because most people don't add it up over the years.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

FED likes slow inflation because most people don't add it up over the years. >>

Those that have held stocks over the years are thankful.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How will you prepare for the upcoming Hyper-inflation? >>

The same way I did in 2008 when this thread started....BY IGNORING IT.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."