Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone have George Washington 250 anniversary silver half dollars?

DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just noticed APMEX has them for sale and I couldn't help myself, I bought 20 of them. Minted in 1982, the first 90% silver coin from the US mint since 1964.
Always thought they were real cool looking coins, certainly the best of the modern commemeratives.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are they selling them at?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    It looks like 1-19 it's $8.52 and 20-199 is $7.52.

Link
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like 1-19 it's $8.52 and 20-199 is $7.52.

Link >>

• Options

<< <i>It looks like 1-19 it's $8.52 and 20-199 is $7.52.

Link >>

Oh thats not bad, its just about $21/oz! image Stay away from APMEX!
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just noticed APMEX has them for sale and I couldn't help myself, I bought 20 of them. Minted in 1982, the first 90% silver coin from the US mint since 1964.
    Always thought they were real cool looking coins, certainly the best of the modern commemeratives.

image >>

Dang, I sell them for 6.00 and I thought I was high
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    too high, stick with 999 bars/rounds

BUT they do look nice
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cool coin. I carry one as a pocket piece and have for years.
  • Options
    Why did I know this would turn into a thread about how much I paid for them?image
    This is not a bullion coin, I didn't expect to buy them for a couple bucks over the price of the silver content.
    I like them because they're a beautiful US mint product, showing my favorite all time American riding a horse dressed in his General uniform.

Cladiator, I never thought of that, I might carry one as a pocket piece myself.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is that Apmex is saying your coins will be proof or ms, they don't differentiate between the two.
  • Options
    I really like them too Darin.

Years ago I was running them through Pcgs, not a lot, and selling them on teletrade when MS 68's would bring good $.

I bought them in bulk from different co's, but I especially enjoyed dealing with Dave at Arizona Coin Exchange

in the back of Coin World. He only runs buy ads.

What was a blast was finding near or truly PL pieces, they really stand out. Found very few even though I went through

1,000's. PCGS at the time would never give a PL staus on them and still may not, that was back in 1992/3.

A beautiful coin that the mint should really be proud of.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options

<< <i>Why did I know this would turn into a thread about how much I paid for them?image
    This is not a bullion coin, I didn't expect to buy them for a couple bucks over the price of the silver content.
    I like them because they're a beautiful US mint product, showing my favorite all time American riding a horse dressed in his General uniform.

Cladiator, I never thought of that, I might carry one as a pocket piece myself. >>

If it ain't bullion then you need to scurry on over to the US coin forum.....image

• Options

<< <i>What I find interesting is that Apmex is saying your coins will be proof or ms, they don't differentiate between the two. >>

Over 7 million were produced, over 2/3rds of those were proofs. There really isn't any difference in value.

I've got a batch around somewhere, but I consider them to be like Franklin halfs, just melt coinage.

Used to be able to pick them up on the bay for melt value if not less in quantity.

Won't deny that they are attractive, but they were released wth much hype and they just never lived up to it.

The mint began releasing all sorts of products shortly thereafter and it shot down the Washington halfs quickly.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options

<< <i>What I find interesting is that Apmex is saying your coins will be proof or ms, they don't differentiate between the two. >>

They do the same thing when they sell the $1 U.S. modern commems also.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I have about 50 or 60 Pr & UNC. I bought all a small dealer had in I believe '03 or '04 for $3.50ea as I remember.
    He seemed quite happy to be unloading them. Love the design but now they are just bullion added to the stack.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    I didn't realize the mintages were so high, but still paying a buck or two per coin too much on twenty coins isn't going to break me.
    I'll try to get a better price if I buy some more. image

Thanks for the comments, everyone does seem to agree its a great design.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sell them for 4.50 each.

I had about 100 come in last month and ripped them open and threw them into 90% bags.