Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official Boston Celtics 2008-2009 run for the NBA Championship thread

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK folks, after an incredible 66-16 season last year, capped off by total annihilation of the Lakers, the bar is set very high for the 2008-2009 season. With the Big 3, a quality supporting cast, and a team-oriented coach perfect for these players, I think the Celts have an excellent chance of winning at least 2 more titles within the next 4 years.

But, there is formidible competition out there: Is this finally Lebron's year? Will Kobe's supporting cast step up and play some defense? Will the borrrring but effective Spurs win their 5th title? Or will a darkhorse emerge and take it all -- think New Orleans, Utah, or even Portland with a healthy, dominating Greg Oden. Let the games begin!!

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    YESSS! THE C'S ARE BACK. I'm excited. I think it's wishful thinking that they can win 66 games again, but high 50's isn't out of the question and should be enough to be 1st or 2nd in a much improved Eastern Conference. You have to think Miami and Cleveland will be better and Atlanta may make strides based on last years playoff performance. Doc needs to not play these guys 38-40 minutes a game. Let Rondo play more and allow Leon Powe to get 20 mins/game. That's the repeat recipe.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i think they can get to 60+ wins again. powe, rondo are more experienced this year and allen, cassell and the rookies should help a lot. they will pick up a veteran backup center after the 1st of the year to help perkins and the other kid. i'll tell you i think ainge is great at putting a veteran team together with younger guys. he picked all the kids that got the C's 2 of the big 3 and now is re-stocking the younger players and so far they look pretty good.

GO C's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice start tonight with a win over Cleveland!
  • Options

<< <i>Let Rondo play more and allow Leon Powe to get 20 mins/game. That's the repeat recipe. >>

Sorry to quote myself 2 posts down, but I think you saw in the opening game why this is necessary. Those two guys won that game for them. Powe looked GREAT. I have to give props to Tony Allen too - I hated him last year but he was a great spark tonight. Maybe a full healthy season will make him a great 8th guy in the rotation.
  • Options
    They looked pretty good after they got it going.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Tony Allen looked fearless last night taking it to the hole...if he can channel that into smarter play (he still does a bunch of dumb things on both ends), it'll lessen the loss of Posey.
  • Options
    Loving the C's tonight. They're letting us out of work at 4 in Los Angeles - just in time to see my C's on ESPN! I deserve a Tommy point.
  • Options
    looking good so far!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    Can't win when all your starters play bad. Loss by 16 at Indiana? Easy to happen when you're playing 3 in 5 nights and the back end of 2 in a row after traveling. Powe is still the man though. That guy could start on half the teams in the league.
  • Options
    road woes from last year's playoffs continuing? Hope not!
  • Options
    i didn't see the game but it didn't look good in the box score
    Fred

• Options
    Iverson was no help to the Pistons tonight. Defense!
  • Options
    If Rondo, Powe and Allen can do it like that most nights, we're hanging banner 18 this June. Wow, great effort. KG (33min) and Pierce (28min) playing limited minutes in the early going will be HUGE later down the line.
  • Options
    very nice win!!!
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>If Rondo, Powe and Allen can do it like that most nights, we're hanging banner 18 this June. Wow, great effort. KG (33min) and Pierce (28min) playing limited minutes in the early going will be HUGE later down the line. >>

So far so good, but it is VERY early. Anytone notice how good the Bruins are playing?
  • Options
    tough win last night vs. raptors, but came on with a great 4th quarter, 35 points i think in the 4th.
    Fred

• Options
    Pierce hits the fallaway with half a second left to win by one!
  • Options
    That shot had no business going in. I was giddy. Before Garnett came to town, from 02-06, he would take that shot at the end of games and either miss badly or turn it over A LOT. Now? The guy is pure nails. He was from 99-01 too but he lost his mojo along the way before KG showed up. Now he's a Hall of Famer and 34 will be raised to the rafters no doubt.

Great early season game. That Hawks team looks pretty darn good.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch all the way through to the end, and am pissed I didn't. I had to settle for the sportscenter recap... boring.
  • Options
    the C's always have match up problems with the hawks for some reason. a great win though 8-1, nice start
    Fred

• Options
    the Celtics are quietly putting together another strong start to the season. Defense has been carrying them quite well. Kept Detroit to 80 points last night!
  • Options
    played well the last couple of games
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>the Celtics are quietly putting together another strong start to the season. Defense has been carrying them quite well. Kept Detroit to 80 points last night! >>

Ho hum, another win! image

Another nail biter against the Hawks, though -- they seem to match up well against the Celts for some reason.
  • Options
    I love this team. I'll say it again...if Powe, Rondo and Tony Allen have nights like the last 2 games regularly, this team will waltz into the Finals.
  • Options
    keep rollin rollin rollin!!
    Fred

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I know it might sound crazy, but even with the loss of Posey, this team might be better than last year's team, given the development of Rondo, Powe, and to some degree T. Allen.

I'm scared of Cleveland, and the Hawks to a lesser extent (not a good matchup for the C's), but that's about it in the East....Lakers/C's finals almost seems inevitable right now.
  • Options
    12-2 and a lot of minutes for younger players
    Fred

• Options
    15-2 and a thumping of the sixers which i always like, the C's keep rollin
    Fred

• Options
    I agree with Bill Simmons, there are really only 4, maybe 5, teams that can win the title. A CLE/BOS Eastern Finals seems almost inevitable, doesn't it? I also have to say that i HATED Tony Allen last year, now the guy has turned me around. He's a nice player off the bench. Anyone else notice that Dallas is STARTING Gerald Green? I couldn't believe it when I flipped on the DAL/LAL game last night.

GO C'S!!!
  • Options
    really i didn't see that green was starting for dallas, why would minn. let him go he has a lot of potential.
    good for him
    Fred

• Options
    17-2
    with a solid win over orl.
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>17-2
    with a solid win over orl. >>

And this team has yet to play a game where every guy clicked on the same night. That would be scary image
  • Options

<< <i>17-2
    with a solid win over orl. >>

Nice game last night. We hung tough for a while, but you all were too much down the stretch. The Celts are the class of the East this year, BY FAR.
  • Options
    It should be quite the showdown on Christmas Day!! image

We will see if Pau Gasol has learned how to play D in the last few months.
  • Options
    triple double for rondo NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's becoming a real good player just needs to be a little more consistant but the talent is there.
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>triple double for rondo NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's becoming a real good player just needs to be a little more consistant but the talent is there. >>

Wholeheartedly agree. He won't put up a TD every night, but 14/5/8 in't out of the question for a whole season
  • Options
    for his size he is a great rebounder, i think i heard once were he had like 20+ in a game or two in college. ainge really did his homework on that kid.
    Fred

• Options
    Oh, my -- taken to OVERTIME by the Pacers! Still, a gutty road win with sharpshooter Allen on fire recently!

Lakers: First to 3 losses is a rotten egg!! image
  • Options
    atleast they avenged 1 of their losses.
    Fred

• Options
    best start ever!!!
    2 nice back to back wins
    Fred

• Options
    Wow, 23-2 is even better than I expected. Sportscenter's Tim Legler was just asked if they are better than last year and he didn't hesitate to say "absolutely." I have to agree with him. It looks like KG, Pierce, Allen are all in top form, but Rondo, Perkins, Powe, Davis and Tony Allen are ALL better than they were this year. Their second unit of Davis, Powe, House, Tony Allen and either Ray Ray or Pierce routinely extends leads in the second quarter and at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th quarters.

This Christmas Day game at the Lakers has to be the most anticipated regular season game in at least 10 years, right?

Count me among those that think the C's won't be going in there with only 2 losses. They have a couple tough games with teams that give them trouble before then (particularly @ATL).

One other thing is that usually I like parity in sports. Even though I'm a huge Pats fan, I like the fact that I have no idea who is going to play in the Super Bowl. I feel like anyone in the NFL that makes the playoffs has a chance except the winners of the western divisions. This year though, I kind of like that there are three teams that are way beyond everyone else in the NBA...and I think we'll see one more team sneak into that group and we'll know that it'll be BOS/CLE for the East and LAL vs someone in the West. I think that team may actually be Denver (they look like a new team with Chauncey and A.I. was terrible for Melo's game), but could also be San Antonio, Utah or New Orleans.

Anyway, GO C'S!

Anyone notice Gabe Pruitt played 8 huge minutes and put up 8 points while Eddie House was at a funeral tonight? This is the type of team that other teams are going to scour for their bench guys like Pruitt, Powe and Davis and pay one of them 5 years at 35 million (just cause NBA teams are ridiculous), which stinks because Leon is my favorite player on the team.

• Options
    Losses:

Celtics - 2
    Cavs - 3
    Lakers - 3

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This Christmas Day game at the Lakers has to be the most anticipated regular season game in at least 10 years, right? >>

Since I have had little ones, I usually try not to watch sports and try to put on a Xmas movie for the little ones. I think this year, I'll have to make sure I have the other set on as well. It should be a great game.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This Christmas Day game at the Lakers has to be the most anticipated regular season game in at least 10 years, right? >>

Since I have had little ones, I usually try not to watch sports and try to put on a Xmas movie for the little ones. I think this year, I'll have to make sure I have the other set on as well. It should be a great game. >>

Must - See TV!! image
  • Options
    that should be a great game can't wait!!!

this team is rollin now
    Fred

• Options
    nice game last night against the hawks

that was a nice win and fun to watch, it was almost like the playoffs.
    Fred

• Options
    That was the best regular season game I've sen in some time. Both teams played really hard. It was almost disappointing that Johnson missed that free throw. Neither team deserved to lose. It's amazing that the C's are 24-2 and only have a 2.5 game lead in the East.
  • Options

<< <i>That was the best regular season game I've sen in some time. Both teams played really hard. It was almost disappointing that Johnson missed that free throw. Neither team deserved to lose. It's amazing that the C's are 24-2 and only have a 2.5 game lead in the East. >>

i thought the same thing that i was almost disappointed that he misses, glad but i would like to have seen the OT
    Fred

• Options
    Ho hum, now 17 in a row.

Loss Tally:
    Celtics: 2
    Cavs: 4
    Lakers: 4
  • Options
    WOW!! this team is rolling now can't wait for christmas night

GO Cs!!!
    Fred