Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossover a NGC MS64*

mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭
I really don't know what to do in this case. I have a Lafayette dollar (shown below) that I would like to use in my registry set. It is graded by NGC as MS64 *. It is only one of two Lafayettes with star designation. The pictures don't even do the coin justice as the colors are bright and vivid with nice satin lustre throughout. Does PCGS allow crossover at a higher grade or would I have to allow them to crossover at MS64? I wouldn't mind losing the star designation if the coin would cross to MS65, but I don't want it to cross at MS64. I look at it and have seen a lot of Lafayettes that are MS65 and I wonder how it ever happened. This coin does have a few dings but no hairlines or scratches. Do you think it will cross at 65?

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Too many dings on the cheek and neck IMHO to go 65. I'd leave it as is.

Edit to add: From PCGS website: "Crossover: Use the "Crossover" service for coins previously graded by another grading service. Submit the coins in the holder to PCGS. We will grade the coins and put them in a PCGS holder only if the PCGS grade meets or exceeds the other grading company's grade (unless specifically instructed differently by you). You cannot specify a higher minimum grade. If the PCGS grade is lower than the other grading company's grade, we will return the coin to you in the original holder.MS/PR 70 coins must have a minimum grade of 69 or lower. "
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    I have never had a NGC * upgrade to a PCGS. In fact, I've had a few downgrades. Just to let you know.

Mike
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I would be shocked if it went 65. I think 64 would be the highest this coin would go.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Ugly, ugly, ugly!!!image

Please send it to me and I will give it a home for "ugly" coins.image

P.S. image

P.S.S. I'd keep it right where it is in the * holder.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Based on the picture, I would have trouble stickering that coin at a 64. I would leave it as is. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just leave it as is.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    The current holder should be that coins final resting place. It is maxed out.

merse

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Leave that (very pretty) coin in its NGC coffin -- I see it as a borderline PCGS 64, but I don't follow the commems closely, so take this for what it's worth...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a MS62 it doesn't have the scuffing your 64* has from Washinghton's cheek to jaw bone right down his neck...

would love to see more accurate pics of your coin to see what all that muckity muck really is image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the coin nice? Yes. Have I seen many nicer, absolutely? I'm not trying to be mean, I want to make a point. Just because the population reports say a coin is rare doesn't mean it is so. The only coins in that sample are those that were sent to NGC since they've started the designation; plenty have gone straight to PCGS. The coin is a wonderful, original piece. Screw the plastic and enjoy the coin for what it is.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Leave it in the NGC holder. I see too many hits for MS65.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    great looking coin. Some of the best looking lafayettes I have seen are in the 62-64 range. Leave it as is and if you need to put it in a registry set why not start an NGC set?
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Case in point: 1901-P Half NGC 65 *

Now resides in a PCGS 64 Holder:

I'd leave your LaFayette Dollar in the NGC Star Holder - JMHO.

Nice commem BTW.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with others -- coin is maxed out at 64*, so keeping it in the NGC coffin is probably the best move.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    definitely not ms-65, but the op's coin is a he11uva stunning piece

K S
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try as I may, I cannot understand the obsession with plastic and rendered opinions. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588

<< <i>Try as I may, I cannot understand the obsession with plastic and rendered opinions. Cheers, RickO >>

Validation.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Try as I may, I cannot understand the obsession with plastic and rendered opinions. Cheers, RickO >>

But CAC stickers make perfect sense, right? image
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very surprised it resides in a NGC MS64* holder...
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

In this case I think the obsession is with registry sets...not that there's anything wrong with that....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭

The previous photo is a Heritage photo. No really true color and likeness. Here is a better picture of the coin. Any comments?

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrcommem said:
    The previous photo is a Heritage photo. No really true color and likeness. Here is a better picture of the coin. Any comments?

Yes...looks to have toned Beautifully over the last 8 years...Congrats!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the original consensus that the coin is best left as an N64 star and would be unlikely to cross as a 65

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add me to the Leave it list

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would still recommend leaving it...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2016 6:45AM

My best results for 'crossing' is to crack out, it is always a risk but there is a psychological bias I am sure when either TPG grades a coin in the others holder so they can't help but grade tougher. My last 3 crosses, one was a 1% for the grade coin, went the same grade, two were B coins, one went the same grade one downgraded. On a good day, I could have see two the same grade and one upgrade, and possibly if I had submitted raw, that may have happened as that is my experience crackin' out.

Edited to add: all were CAC before crossing in their holders.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I have said before, if you really want a crack at getting the same grade or higher in a crossover, you need to crack the coin out and submit it raw. As for the piece at the top of thread, Washington's cheeks as few to many marks to make it "a lock" for an MS-64. I think that MS-63 is more likely.

Here is my piece which is graded MS-62.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2016 1:26PM

NGC bias runs deep here. No surprise in that....lol.

I think the coin is very solid for a 64 grade. Could even get a 64+ grade at either TPG if resubmitted raw today. And I would not rule out a 65 grade in the future (years?). There's no doubt worse coins reside in current MS65 holders. Forget the cross route. Like Bill Jones said, you have to crack it out if you want a chance at a PCGS 64 or 65. I'd leave it as an NGC MS64*. I assume this is CAC'd too right? Would not be surprised if the "right" submitter couldn't get this into a PCGS 65 holder someday. Your job would be to seek out that person and be prepared to give them a sizable commish for getting 'er done.

Do I think it would cross at MS65? Absolutely not....even if the coin were in an NGC MS65 holder. Crosses are hard enough on simple coins.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with RoadRunner, coin looks like a 64+ anytime, but I still wouldn't crack it.
    What's the pop in NGC * ?

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just start a registry set at NGC that accepts both holders? If you think it's a long shot to upgrade to 65, then your best bet is probably to sell it (and people will definitely want the 64*) and buy a PCGS coin.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last bust half I crossed was an AU55 in an old NGC holder. It crossed to 58.

But that's a very rare occurrence. I agree that cracking gets better results, generally. Just be certain there's no chance for a BB.
    Lance.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just create a NGC set and you can use both NGC and PCGS coins. Problem solved.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file