Home Precious Metals

Real thing or...

This auction has two poured bars both marked JM and give the appearance of Johnson Matthey bars but if they were the weight would be stamped on them, clearly visible. I haven't and won't bid on these but am just curious what others think of them. Personally I wouldn't take the chance but obviously others disagree.
Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.

Comments

• << <i> I do not know the purity of these silver bars, So PLEASE keep that in mind while bidding on these bars >>

I think the JM stands for Jo Mamma.....image
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    do not bid on anything silver unless it is clearly stamped .999 fine silver. asking for trouble.

if you have it in hand and can do an acid test that is different.
    but i learned my lesson already on buying odd bullion with that stupid
    olympic set.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if you have it in hand and can do an acid test that is different.
    olympic set. >>

Could you educate me a little bit on this one? Which olympic set are you talking about and what did you find out about it?

Those poured bars look like they could be anything. Lead? Who knows. One of those "JM" stamps looks very, very deeply stamped. Lead is very soft and does that. Also, these bars looks dull gray to me. Finally, the seller gives a quip about ripoffs from China?!? That is enough for me. Run!!!

In fact, the seller laments how he/she has been buying counterfeit items from China. And the seller makes a distinct denial of any known silver content. Keep running!!! Don't look back!!! FAKE!

It looks like you (fc) got some darn good prices on your silver bars!
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like someone poured their own bars. Probably 90% silver, but why buy something like this and just create headaches for yourself? Or, maybe these are a crude chinese counterfeit...
    ----- kj
  • bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭
    He doesn't know what they are, and all sales are final. Oh, and he later mentions buying crap from China. Sounds like a sweet deal.image
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    If it has a made in China stamp or is misspelled, then its probably fake
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>if you have it in hand and can do an acid test that is different.
    olympic set. >>

Could you educate me a little bit on this one? Which olympic set are you talking about and what did you find out about it?

Those poured bars look like they could be anything. Lead? Who knows. One of those "JM" stamps looks very, very deeply stamped. Lead is very soft and does that. Also, these bars looks dull gray to me. Finally, the seller gives a quip about ripoffs from China?!? That is enough for me. Run!!!

In fact, the seller laments how he/she has been buying counterfeit items from China. And the seller makes a distinct denial of any known silver content. Keep running!!! Don't look back!!! FAKE!

It looks like you (fc) got some darn good prices on your silver bars! >>

please search this forum with the key word olympic. You will see two threads. one bragging how i got a great deal, the next one i telling
    my story about getting nickel plated copper. it was a chinese olympic silver bar set. totally bogus. sigh.

as for my silver... hehehehe
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bars are obvious fakes and the seller knows it.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • They look extremely inferior for a Johnson Matthey product. FAKE FAKE FAKE, oh I need a FAKE button on this key board.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the JM stands for Jo Mamma.....image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.