Juan Pablo Cisneros

R.I.P.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a little confusion about flying the flag...as I do everyday anyway. I've seen where some are saying for everyone who has one, they should fly it at full mast today. Then there is the traditional 1/2 mast approach. Since I really can't fly my flag at half mast, I'm leaving it at full mast.....but the most important thing is, I remember and I honor those who lost their lives.
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us never forget.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I live in Oklahoma City, sight of another horrific attack. I will never forget driving that morning (Sept.11) near the airport and looking up and seeing the sky filled with aircraft, I thought "what the heck is going on?". A few minutes later my wife called me on my cell to say the towers had been attacked. The airways had been shut down and they were trying to land any and all nearby planes as fast as possible at Will Rogers Airport, it was a sight to see.
    A tragic and horrific day, in so many different ways, and not just that day but for years to come right up to today, as we still have "boots on the ground" in Afghanistan.
    I have since become a supporter of the USO, a great organization, and a great way to support our troops regardless of anyone's politics.
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    The admirable qualities of the human race will always prevail.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hope we never forget. its a day to reflect for sure.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The NYPD and NYFD and other 1st responders from 9/11 were inspirations to all of us as Americans. I was and am humbled by their sacrifices that day. >>

AMEN!!! While most people were running FROM death, these guys were running INTO death. I'll never forget their bravery and sacrifice. >>

You can say that again, again and again!!!image
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That list is very sobering to read! image
  • Options
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lee Harris' book, Civilization And Its Enemies:

"Forgetfulness occurs when those who have been long inured to civilized order can no longer remember a time in which they had to wonder whether their crops would grow to maturity without being stolen or their children sold into slavery by a victorious foe.
    They forget that in time of danger, in the face of the Enemy, they must trust and confide in each other, or perish.

They forget, in short, that there has ever been a category of human experience called the Enemy. And that, before 9/11, was what had happened to us. The very concept of the Enemy had been banished from our moral and political vocabulary. An enemy was just a friend we hadn't done enough for -- yet. Or perhaps there had been a misunderstanding, or an oversight on our part -- something that we could correct. And this means that that our first task is that we must try to grasp what the concept of the Enemy really means.

The Enemy is someone who is willing to die in order to kill you. And while it is true that the Enemy always hates us for a reason -- it is his reason, and not ours."

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will never forget , but we will move forward

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2017 6:30AM

It was actually 16 years ago...wasn't it 2001? What a terrible day. I just realized this is an old thread sorry for the unneeded correction. Like Ricko said we are still fighting this terrible enemy.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the things that people do in the name of religion never ceases to amaze me.

I hope we never forget.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

always remember those who died in that event :'(

Coins for sale at link below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i3Hq4WazXaWPmvH78

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was 1500 miles from home on a Vacation/Road Trip on 9/11/2001. The National Park Service actually recorded every license place as we left Yellowstone. Cut my vacation short and headed home. At least I had my car and could get home.

My dad died suddenly a week later.

September 2001 sucked by every measure I had. Had a lot of rage for a while.

Never forget, never let it happen again.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in high school, and vividly remember that day. We all watched from our class rooms, and I don't think any of us really knew how it would change the world.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in the safest place in the world at that time. A small village in Ukraine, protected by babushkas that had survived communists, nazis and communists and then the capitalists.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2018 9:36AM

I was at work installing cabinets, High School in Cary IL. I will never forget that horrible day.
    Thank you so much for posting...
    (17yrs)

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Richard. I'd no idea the thread was still in existence.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Cladiator Thank You for posting the original thread

Barndog Thank You for reviving this thread

• Options

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

My supervisor at the time was in a conference at WTC 6. Everyone got out of that building ok as far as I know. It took him a week to get back to the west coast via Amtrak

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lost a co-worker that day on Flight 175.

Rest in Peace, Bob.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in an executive meeting in a conference room. Someone rushed in to turn on the TV. We all just sat there stunned, silently watching the horrific images. Obviously, there was no sacrifice made from us but only disbelief of what we were witnessing and the beginning of a slow burn of anger and resolve.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere on the forums is a thread from right when this was happening! Maybe someone here knows the title and will bump it. It's very interesting to read.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Somewhere on the forums is a thread from right when this was happening! Maybe someone here knows the title and will bump it. It's very interesting to read.

That is where I heard about it. I got up to go to work and checked the forums. I went and turned on the TV. Stunned is an understatement. I went to work, but spent the day searching for information. Our company had a lot of people stranded due to the closures of the skys, but we did not lose anyone (thankfully).

A day that I will never forget.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3 RIP <3 Three thousand times o:)

• Options
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a difference between 9-11-2001 and 9-11-2020.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2020 12:04PM

I was in a team room at Ft Bragg NC, we had just come back from a run. Post closed. Traffic on bragg Blvd backed up for miles and miles and from base to southern pines . Changed the course of my life and I got to visit a bunch of places nobody goes to on vacation😁

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lived in New York City from the end of the 1990s to 2006. I remember riding the subway the day after on my way to work. I had never heard such quiet on the train. Everybody with a Daily News or a Post, eyes glued to the pages. I got off at Times Square. I never before or again heard the heart of the city quiet like that. You could hear a pin drop.

God Bless America.

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

I was in Florida training in bomb disposal and just about 4 months into the start of a soon to be 20yr stint. About 30 of us were training in the woods. A runner was sent to tell us the nation was under attack and we needed to get back to the main building ASAP. Horseshit. We walked. He looked back and saw us walking and yelled “Real World” which in military jargon means “I recognize what I told you sounds like BS but I’m dead serious”. That was worth a jog but the NCOs still doubted it. Shortly after, what must’ve been half a Sq of fighters started darting over our heads at a speed we all recognized as ridiculously fast and increasing. We ran.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in Pomorode, a little German town in Santa Catarina, Brasil. I was visiting the zoo. The employee looked very sad, which is something you don't see much over there. The conversation follows (in Portuguese):
    "Why do you look so sad?"
    "Did you see the news?"
    "No, I'm on vacation. The news is always bad."
    "Are you Brasilian?"
    "No, I'm from the United States."
    "You need to see this."
    He turned on a television set. Thirty seconds later, the second jet crashed into the Twin Towers. We looked at one another in horror. I remember it like it happened an hour ago.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife was at work next to the John Hancock Tower in Boston. Oddly enough she was in a meeting on the top floor. When the news broke, the senior management calling everyone in and sent them, fearing the tower could be a target.

I was at home because I was a coin dealer by then. My in-laws were visiting, and we were looking at TV in shock. Both of them died this year at age 92. We recently sent their cremated remains north for burial a couple days ago.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading this thread on my phone while at work.

peacockcoins

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last bump for the evening crew.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was getting ready for work. I was living in Albuquerque, NM and working at UNM Cancer Ctr. My wife at the time came to get me out of the shower... telling me that "something is wrong"... I was standing in my livingroom in a towel when I watched the second plane hit.

I remember the drive into work that morning was surreal. The streets were virtually empty and jets were scrambled from Kirtland AFB... occasionally making passes over the city.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had moved to CT from PA that summer and indeed was a very exciting day for the wife and I on that morning because of her first visit to the new Ob/Gyn to confirm the pregnancy of our first born. The news broke while we were in the waiting area watching TV. Thereafter everything was a haze with the ultra sound scan report etc.
    Called my uncle and aunt who were in NYC as soon as we got out. They had to walk quite a few miles to reach back home on that day.

The Ob/Gyn has since retired and the practice folded up but the office staff always remembered our first visit and recount about that sad day even when we were in there when she was carrying our third kid.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file