Home U.S. Coin Forum

Political Threads and Signature Line Images and Text

To go along with our policy of not allowing political commentary in the postings we are asking everyone to remove any political messages or images in their signature lines.

Everyone's cooperation will be appreciated.

Carol

Comments

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Just making sure, Coin related images in our sig line are ok right?
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Might want to skip political exonumia....
  • 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just making sure, Coin related images in our sig line are ok right? >>

Yes, of course!

400x200 <20k

over 20k------>image

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just making sure, Coin related images in our sig line are ok right? >>

I imagine that Carol wants us to
    "remove any (political messages or images) in (our signature lines)"
    rather than
    "remove any (political messages) or (images in our signature lines)".
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems perfectly clear to me.... Cheers, RickO
  • Political images or political text.

We haven't gotten to the point of turning off the signature line function.
  • imageimage

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good policy
    after all the sigline is part of the post
    LCoopie = Les
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2:1 David Hall is a Republican.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To go along with our policy of not allowing political commentary in the postings we are asking everyone to remove any political messages or images in their signature lines.

Everyone's cooperation will be appreciated.

Carol >>

Thank you. Unfortunately the political campaigns were not paying for their free advertising here.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2:1 David Hall is a Republican. >>

Not sure why that would matter, true or not.
    Some of us come here to see/discuss coins and get enough of the political BS in other places. If there are people here one wants to spout politics with, they can do it in PMs, email, or other forums, right?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the Top Ten Losers for the year, would anyone consider any of these coins a good buy ?
    5948 1999-P 25C New Jersey MS 65 $10 $18 ($-8) -44.4%
    5949 1999-D 25C New Jersey MS 65 $10 $18 ($-8) -44.4%
    5950 1999-P 25C Georgia MS 65 $10 $18 ($-8) -44.4%
    5951 1999-D 25C Georgia MS 65 $10 $18 ($-8) -44.4%

This is not a trick question. I'd just like to see one of carolj's threads make it to 100 without any drama image
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    I understand house manners when invited to someone's else house, esp re: OT threads,political tangents and all. I sure hope political means just that... political.

What prompted this re: sig lines? Are usernames next? Hope they're grandfathered in.... image
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.

• << <i>I understand house manners when invited to someone's else house, esp re: OT threads,political tangents and all. I sure hope political means just that... political.

What prompted this re: sig lines? Are usernames next? Hope they're grandfathered in.... image >>

I don't know what prompted this thread, but there was a "Post Something Alaskan" thread that was poofed yesterday in very short order. A couple of folks thought it might be wise/funny/informative to post stuff other than numismatic material. Maybe that prompted this reminder thread - or maybe it was something else. I started a subsequent Alaskan thread that had a short run, but had some neat tokens posted - I like the one with a little gold nugget attached to the token best (never saw that sort of token before).

Dunno about the "sig lines" comments - those seem all over the park anyway. Just par for the course for an internet forum I suppose.

Overall, our hosts and the forum members do a nice job of keeping the tone civil (for an internet forum).

Cheers,

Bob
  • Good policy.
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Religion should be next. There's other forums for that, too.
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image

• << <i>Religion should be next. There's other forums for that, too. >>

I agree. I was going to add that, but decided not to.
  • librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Political images or political text.

We haven't gotten to the point of turning off the signature line function. >>

There's a sig line function?

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carol for President!!!!!

• dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    image BORING!
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.

<< <i>I guess total censorship should be next... Why does an individuals right to express their religious view in a

SIG line matter to anyone. Maybe they should eliminate the SIG line. That way nobody gets offended.

Carol has answered my question. And it seems members who are offended by my Lord Jesus Christ

will finally have a forum free from all self expression... Congrats to you all.

James >>

If you wish to rant about anything sans the censorship, then please come to my forum - Doran's Coin & Currency Forums.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess total censorship should be next... Why does an individuals right to express their religious view in a

SIG line matter to anyone. Maybe they should eliminate the SIG line. That way nobody gets offended.

Carol has answered my question. And it seems members who are offended by my Lord Jesus Christ

James >>

If you wish to rant about anything sans the censorship, then please come to my forum - Doran's Coin & Currency Forums. >>

Doran is the man!!!!! image

<< <i>

<< <i>

James >>

If you wish to rant about anything sans the censorship, then please come to my forum - Doran's Coin & Currency Forums. >>

Doran is the man!!!!! image >>

Since the CU forums are corporate-owned and sponsored, I can see their point on political posts. Let me make this very clear - I have no qualms about CU - it is the premier numismatic forum on the net, and I am proud to give my 2 cents worth here and give my feelings about what lurks about in the numsimatic world. Carol, I understand your position on what not to put in a forum.

<< <i>

<< <i>

James >>

Yeah, looks like a hopping place image

Don't know why folks have a problem with not pushing certain viewpoints on others.
    You want to talk politics, go to a convention or one of the many thousands of places on the net.
    You want to talk religion, go to church.

Why complain if you are asked to not put it in your sigline, when any reasonable person would realize that politics and religion are very controversial to folks?

People give Carol a hard time, or try to push the envelope, but it seems many don't realize that she is probably keeping this place alive by doing this. For those that complain, would you rather the forums cease to exist? If so, just leave. If not, why not play within the rules without complaining?

As for the ignorant "boring" comment.....well, I can see the source....and, I just went to your forums and now I can see why "boring" is on your mind image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

James >>

Don't know why folks have a problem with not pushing certain viewpoints on others.
    You want to talk politics, go to a convention or one of the many thousands of places on the net.

Why complain if you are asked to not put it in your sigline, when any reasonable person would realize that politics and religion are very controversial to folks?

People give Carol a hard time, or try to push the envelope, but it seems many don't realize that she is probably keeping this place alive by doing this. For those that complain, would you rather the forums cease to exist? If so, just leave. If not, why not play within the rules without complaining?

As for the ignorant "boring" comment.....well, I can see the source....and, I just went to your forums and now I can see why "boring" is on your mind image >>

And Bochiman, what is your point? image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

James >>

As for the ignorant "boring" comment.....well, I can see the source....and, I just went to your forums and now I can see why "boring" is on your mind image >>

Exactly.

Censorship, lol. You're supposed to keep things coin related. Starting OT posts occasionally is generally accepted here, but with every post you have a religious comment is deemed a little too much.
  • If your offended don't read it.... Not to worry though, I will probably be BAMMED shortly anyway.... image

<< <i>I consider a SIG line a place to express an individual's views. I do not consider it "pushing" your views on
    another member. Nor do I consider it "discussing" the same views with another member.

I have met many members on this forum who have PM'ed me. These valued members would have never known
    I shared the same belief as them had it not been for my SIG line....

That is what a SIG line is. It is not a "discussion" nor is it "pushing my beliefs" onto another member.

It is a place to describe yourself....

If your offended don't read it.... Not to worry though, I will probably be BAMMED shortly anyway.... image >>

Putting something in a sigline, then saying "don't read it" is rather ludicrous, imho. Same as with people putting in political images/messages.

btw...I didn't even notice your sigline. I tend to ignore most of them, mine included image, because I think people get carried away with them.

• DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Religion should be next. There's other forums for that, too. >>

I agree. I was going to add that, but decided not to. >>

image Sort of...

Not just because it's just as "political" and "offensive". But, if this forum is to be about coins then by God (ooops!) - get rid of Religion too! And while we're at it, why not eliminate "In God We Trust" motto from our coins? Yeah that's the ticket!

Too bad; because both politics and religion are intrinsically and eternally linked both historically and in modernity to the coins of the U.S. and the world! And we're all just burying our heads in the sand if we don't recoginize that truth.

But if CU is actively pursuing the elimination of "politcial" threads to include "questionable" sig lines, then it is only fair to eliminate all religious references too, not only in posts & threads, but also in sig lines and monikers, IMHO.

You see CU has started us on this slippery slope, beginning with the elimination of the OF, the "bamming" of contrarians (Coinguy1) and pioneers who refused to follow the stern "forum rules" in lock-step, to the "ban" on so-called "politcal" threads (anyone remember BiddlesBank?) and now the attack on purportedly offensive "political" sig lines!

What's up CU? Caving in to the opinion of a single-minded vociferous minority that can't handle diviersity of opinion?. This bulletin board afterall is a "universe". And if you are to truly live up to that concept then I believe this Collector's Universe ought to be all inclusive of all variety of backgrounds, opinions and perspectives, even if said opinions don't agree with the overriding collective politcial views of the vociferous minority membership! Otherwise lose the moniker "Universe" because you don't deserve it!!

The poster who opined that maybe the controlling influence of CU here are of one party (RNC/GOP) and consequently one perspective viewpoint may be an accurate observation. A controlling influence that feels threatened by diversity of opinion and characterized by the actions that we've seen here over the past few years on these very boards! My question is: just what are you afraid of anyway?

In any community this size, there will always be a certain amount of dissention and consequently a miniscule, insignificant number of "extreme" dissenters. I believe over my years of experience here that this community has a built-in response mechanism that curtails the actions of extremests within the community (e.g. BiddlesBank as formentioned and "MOC" for a time!). image

It's too bad that CU has felt the need to go to these extremes to censure our indivudual perspectives and opinions by "cracking down" on dissention. Everyday, Across the Street is looking better and better to many of us who endure the growing oppresiveness here.

I would hope that CU will consider what it loses in contributing members and overall knowledgebase as it gravitates toward an homogenous world view and censures a certain amount of civilized dissention. Too bad and Shame on you CU!

"Oceania is at war with Eurasia....Oceania was never at war with Eurasia!" What's it gonna be here? image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

• << <i>Censorship, lol. You're supposed to keep things coin related. Starting OT posts occasionally is generally accepted here, but with every post you have a religious comment is deemed a little too much. >>

Well, I don't really care about your trustworthy BST sellers either.. But I could careless if you add it to your SIG line..

But I am offended by your Racist Avatar.... SouthPark....image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict 100 image

• << <i>

<< <i>Censorship, lol. You're supposed to keep things coin related. Starting OT posts occasionally is generally accepted here, but with every post you have a religious comment is deemed a little too much. >>

Well, I don't really care about your trustworthy BST sellers either.. But I could careless if you add it to your SIG line..

But I am offended by your Racist Avatar.... SouthPark....image >>

Relax..Just keep it coin related

<< <i>image
    I predict 100 image >>

"To the moon, Alice!!!!"

• InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i> ......"Oceania is at war with Eurasia....Oceania was never at war with Eurasia!" What's it gonna be here? image >>

Strong allusion there-- we become 'un-collectors' when Winston purges our posts from history and we were never here.
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> ......"Oceania is at war with Eurasia....Oceania was never at war with Eurasia!" What's it gonna be here? image >>

Strong allusion there-- we become 'un-collectors' when Winston purges our posts from history and we were never here. >>

imageimageimage

Edited to add: this tranlates to the imfamous "Poof" on these boards. "Two extremes and n'er the twain shall meet ... 'cept for tonight!"
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    The next thing that will happen here is you will get banned because you have a open container next to your keyboard.image

Maybe we should have a seatbelt on while surfing this forum heaven forbid anyone will crash and then the lawsuits will fly.

I think this is a nice place and very educational, but sometimes the warnings I get from Carol seem to be petty, you know like say Fudgemucker or Sammypacker and someone gets offended. Sammypacker was a coin dealer in my area about 20 years ago, now with Fudgemucker that is what the machine is called to make real sweet fresh FUDGE. OBTW the machine is a person. so hence the FUDGEMUCKER.

I don't know what I just complained about but I am glad Carol J is getting some of you dogs, instead of me.

God bless me and God bless yall.
  • I don't see why this is even discussed. It's a coin forum. Not a political forum. Not a religion forum. If i want that I'll go somewhere else. Those that continue to post quasi-coin-related topics with an undertone of politics or religion are dragging down the true nature of the forum which only adds to the defection of good posters and comments here.
    David
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, then we can mandate that each member photoshops out "IN GOD WE TRUST" off all their coin photos before they are allowed to post them. Yeah that's the ticket image
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posting here to double check my sig line image

Oh, ok... Cool

• << <i>

Yeah, then we can mandate that each member photoshops out "IN GOD WE TRUST" off all their coin photos before they are allowed to post them. Yeah that's the ticket image >>

I was just stirrin the pot. We all know religion isn't a volatile subject. image
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Very clear
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Make a free chat/miscellaneous forum. I'll split my mod duties here and the other forum I mod on image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's their house, play by their rules, or go elsewhere.

Pretty simple, IMHO.

Does my sigline need editing?

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭

<< <i>Carol for President!!!!!

image >>

YOU SMELL THAT....
  • politics and religion are part of coinage and currency.
  • Rats! After all this time I finally had my sig line nearly complete, now I have to start all over.image
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know that this forum still had a lot of meat on the bones. I thought it was all picked off.image

I love Alaska!

Ren
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as we do not have to remove the You Suck sig lines, Now that would bother me!

Ws
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Remember the saying about pissing and free beer parties??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file