Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade or Bag? updated on page 2

notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
Planning to send something in for the quarterly special this time. Who thinks this wll grade and who thinks I'm wasting postage? Thanks for your opinions. --Jerry

Comments

• Options
    The only thing I can see that might prevent it from grading is the toned over scratch by star two- and I have seen far worse coins holdered- I like yours a lot. I am probably missing something, as usual.image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will slab
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen much worse in slabs.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Almost 210 years old, I think they'd let this one slide.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that coin has got to be OK for slabbing.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only thing I can see that might prevent it from grading is the toned over scratch by star two- and I have seen far worse coins holdered- I like yours a lot. I am probably missing something, as usual >>

I missed that scratch, but see some minor rim dings at 12:00?

Neither would be severe enough to bag it, in my opinion. That's a lovely coin, in or out of plastic.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor rim dings...but slabbable... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    what an awesome coin and i'd think you'd have no problem seeing that one slabbed
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice but I would think about a acetone bath. Some of that green looks like the residue of PVC might just be the image but I would check for that before sending it in. And yes I agree it should grade fine to very fine.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Looks great, I think it will slab.

Tom

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    this is a severely damaged & altered coin, if this is what a slabing co. calls "problem free", sue them.

K S
  • Options

<< <i>this is a severely damaged & altered coin, if this is what a slabing co. calls "problem free", sue them.

K S >>

I don't think that they'd call it "problem free," but rather "market acceptable"
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    grade
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>this is a severely damaged & altered coin, if this is what a slabing co. calls "problem free", sue them. K S >>

Can you describe what you think has been done to it? BTW, I bought it raw in 1994 or so and know nothing has been done to it since then. It also hasn't changed appearance since then. --Jerry
  • Options
    Looks nice but I would think about a acetone bath. Some of that green looks like the residue of PVC might just be the image but I would check for that before sending it in. And yes I agree it should grade fine to very fine.

I think I see some Green too, Jerry.

In the second "9" on the Date and in the Field below Liberty?

Nothing some Acetone won't cure.
  • Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    not to worry!.it will slab.image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it's been corroded, then later "fixed" & retoned. no way is that rough surface the way the coin was struck. too common of a coin not to get a better example!

K S
  • Options
    I was thinking yes for sure but.....i do see some corrosion which may keep it out of PCGS plastic. Still a great coin image
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    body bag---not genuine. But then, what do I know??image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    I understand there's a lot of 1799 counterfeits.
    Send it in and let us know? I'll go out on a limb and say F15?
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    Looks good, unless the graders haven't had their coffee and the minor rim bump really angers them... it will slab.

Edited to add: VF35
  • Options
    golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    I don't send anything for the quarterly specials anymore.....they always seem to find some reason to BB ...even coins that I have cut out of unc sets have been sent back, sometimes for the strangest of reasons. IMO, it's a waste of money. I think I got a buffalo nickel to grade MS65 once, early in my membership.
    Maybe it's ME!!!!image
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking holed and repaired.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I believe that the coin will grade.

It is lovely and a coin any of us would

be proud to own, slabbed or not.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry, that greenish tinged stuff is questionable. The purplish toning to me means that the coin appears to be artificially colored and then retoned at some point. Practically speaking, if this was a Seated $, I think it would bag for the above reasons.

Have you checked the diagnostics on the coin re it's being genuine? If you did this and it checks out, as this is a Bust $, it will slab. Most Bust $s I've seen in slabs have problems. Almost all of the AUs I've seen have been lightly to harshly cleaned. Many have been artificially toned. It seems at some point, the powers that be decided to slab all but the most hideous coins of this series.

I've seen two AU Bust $s that I liked. The others were almost painful to view. I think your coin has some problems, but it has far fewer problems than most Bust $s that I've seen in first world TPGs.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. As for the green stuff, that used to worry me too. But like I said I've owned this coin for quite a while and I've looked at lots of others of this year and especially this variety (BB-152, B-15). I've noticed that this color and even this texture seems to go with this variety. Here is another one of this variety which is in an NGC F-12 holder. I used to own this coin too but sold it.
    This coin had the same texture with some green tint to it. I've at least formed a theory if not formed a conclusion that the blanks used for this variety may have been poory alloyed resulting in this funny texture and color.

So based on the opinions here is should slab. I'm gonna sent it in and we'll see. I'll post results.

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • Options
    BB altered surface. They thought about it quite a while (2 weeks when others are turning around quicker). Kindof disappointing. I may give them a shot at it ATS. --Jerry
  • Options
    dorkkarl called it. I really thought it would slab. Sorry for the poor results.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options

<< <i>dorkkarl called it. I really thought it would slab. Sorry for the poor results. >>

Others say it isn't nearly as bad as dorkkarl lets on.

Dorkkarl, care to elaborate? --jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file