Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCE order - 1975 Topps mini - live rip of 5 packs

I try to pick up some 1975 Topps mini wax whenever I can, so I ordered 5 packs with my 1980/81 basketball packs from the group rip. I pulled the Bird/Magic rookie in that rip, so maybe im on a roll tonight. Unfortunately, as most of us know, well centered 1975 minis are a rare animal. Let the ripping and scanning begin.

Comments

• Options
    Popcorn and beer are ready. LETS GO!!!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    nice pull on the bird/magic

good luck with the rest Nick
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Give us a contest at least, c'mon! Closest # chosen to best card # of the lot gets something?!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No contest tonight only because I ripped the first pack already and I dont want to wait for all the guesses since the ripping itch is already being scratched. My 5000th post is coming pretty soon, so that will be a good contest.

Pack 1 - No stars, but pretty fair centering for 1975 minis. The rookie pitchers is very well centered, but the lower left corner has something going on there.

• Options
    Best card is kind of objective isn't it? Unless he pulls a Yount or Brett
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Jack and Coke in hand.

Hey 75 mini guys! What card would go for the most cash in 10? Star? Or low pop common?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Well the star power went up a bit, but the centering went down a bit.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Rookie Pitchers card is perfectly centered! If all corners were sharp, that'd be a candidate for Gem Mint 10. The centering on a few of these is very nice L/R but worse T/B, which is fristrating as it's usually the L/R centering that does you in. That Bench card always seems to be low centered, too. Great stuff regardless! Good luck with the rest, Nick!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Good thing ripping 30+ year old wax is fun, because it sure isnt profitable. image

More of the same from pack 3.

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Of course the Bench is the most miscut out of the bunch. Looks like you got a few submittable cards though so it may not be as bad as you think.
  • Options
    Pack 4 had some centered cards, but those ended up having some corner issues. If these weren't from Steve i'd be a little aggrevated.

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I love them minis, great stuff nam.

I don't mind a little oc on cards like the Expos and Tigers.

Cool
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring it on home.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Pack 5 yielded a very nice Lynn rookie, but other than that, not much. I will scan the Lynn rookie along in my next post.

• Options
    Here is a larger scan of the Lynn rookie.

• Options
    Lynn RC does look sharp...at least an 8. Tough centering T/B on a lot of these. Wonder if these packs are from the same source as the wax case we bought couple years back. Centering was pretty terrible on almost all of those cards, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Great card Nick, that's an 8 min, right? Will the slight tilt hurt enough to keep it out of a 9 slab? In the end, you made money on the rips, no? That Bird would bring well over $100 even with that centering and a Lynn Mini 8.5 should be well over $75 I would think. Then again, those 75 Mini packs are EXPENSIVE.
  • Options
    I'm keeping the Bird/Magic card, and the mini packs are $45 each, so with the 4 basketball packs, it was expensive but fun evening. On a positive note, I found the rest of my Johnny Bench card. image

• Options
    If you get lucky and pull a 9 on the Lynn, that's a $75 card as opposed to a $15 card in a 8 holder. The titlt may hurt you a bit, but corners look sharp.

• Options
    LOL, the Bench/Milner is one (two) to keep!

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Hah! I agree. You've got to see if you can find the bottom of the Milner card now. Maybe slap some scotch tape on the back and see if you can submit them as a panel.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick:

Were the Lynn and Rookie Pitchers cards slightly larger than the others? That has happened to me a few times.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Neither of them were over-sized Mike.
  • Options
    Rich Folkers!? How would you like to go through life with that name.image
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Wonder if these packs are from the same source as the wax case we bought couple years back. Centering was pretty terrible on almost all of those cards, too. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This batch looks substantially better.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    "Wonder if these packs are from the same source as the wax case we bought couple years back. Centering was pretty terrible on almost all of those cards, too. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This batch looks substantially better.

I would not say substantially, by any means.

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    That's awesome on the Bench/Milner - very nice eye to notice that.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Many of the scans from the 2006 case-break have been removed.
    Some are still there. The consensus leaned toward "brutal break."

Some of the worst cut cards I have ever seen. Many had two players on the same card.

Tonight's batch looks LOTS better, to me.

nostalgia
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Many of the scans from the 2006 case-break have been removed.
    Some are still there. The consensus leaned toward "brutal break."

Some of the worst cut cards I have ever seen. Many had two players on the same card.

Tonight's batch looks LOTS better, to me.

nostalgia

The worst of the case break cards do look much worse than Nick's, but there were also a number of decently centered cards from that break, too. I will agree that Nick's cards are on average better centered than the worse case break cards, but I wouldn't say it's a substantial difference, as there are only a couple cards from these 5 packs that have a shot at a MInt 9 grade. The first pack was the best centered of the lot, though the Lynn card is probably the sharpest card. The T/B centering really hurt here, as many of the cards that looked great L/R suffered in that regard, and OC is OC. The case break cards looked worse than they really were because of the number of two-player cards, also, IMO.

• Options
    i call dibbs on Mike Hargrove All star rookie!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the rip, but sorry it wasn't so hot!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    big fun sir.

admittedly speaking somewhat of guilty pleasure reading this thread.

i have no ability or moxie to even do this type of thing, so hats off 2 u roy harper, err nick.

lynn is easy 9 IMHO.

j

ps: got redemption on those 2 sub's i had been griping about. lee's 33.333333% success on submissions proves to b true for me.... unfortunately.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another loser from BBCE. Overall, has anyone had a winning rip from BBCE lately?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    WTG Nick at least you had fun.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>WTG Nick at least you had fun.

Steve >>

Oh absolutely! Sure beats throwing away money on Pokerstars. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>......has anyone had a winning rip from BBCE lately? >>

Thank God I make a comfortable living which affords me many simple pleasures that some may consider unnecessary. What I do know is that it will never be you because you're too much of a cynic (and also a coward) who believes every wax pack has been opened already. You have nearly 10,000 posts, and I can honestly say that I've never seen one of them contribute anything to these boards, or this great hobby. Instead you use your CU posting privilege to talk bad about America (dont think I forgot about that just because that thread went poof). The good people of these boards should not have to log on and put up with more of your misanthropic views, so spare everyone and smarten up or move on. If you do choose to move on, my offer still stands to give you a lift to any international airport as long as your ticket is one way.
  • Options
    I concur- stevek sucks. Anytime you're looking for a wet blanket to chime in on an otherwise fun/interesting thread, here comes Skippy!!
  • Options
    Nick, why don't you tell him how you really feel?

I enjoy the live rips too. I may have no life but I had to leave right when you started and couldnt wait to get home to see what had been pulled. Wife and I had no kids here last night. She was naked within a few minutes of getting home, but I had to check this thread before proceeding to other things image I may need a threapist.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    phillies hater...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Nam- I really don't think Stevek was after you on this. I think he had a legitimate question. Anyway, congrats on having the guts to buy those minipacks and start ripping. Those mini packs aren't cheap. the Lynn rookie is nice. chaz
  • Options
    Thanks chaz, but if you saw the OT thread frankhardy started the other night (that went poof) where stevek was talking bad about America you would understand.

The Lynn rookie might be an 8 or 8.5 (or a 9 if the grader is a big fan of tilted cards).
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks chaz, but if you saw the OT thread frankhardy started the other night (that went poof) where stevek was talking bad about America you would understand.

The Lynn rookie might be an 8 or 8.5 (or a 9 if the grader is a big fan of tilted cards). >>

He what??? Where is he at? I will go over there and kick his ass. chaz
  • Options
    If he took the time to read the other rip thread he'd find that Nick had aalready pulled a Bird/Magic/Dr.J card from an 80-81 Topps pack. Then he throws in the "beats throwing away money on Pokerstars" comment to further support his agenda of cluing in the world to the ills of online gambling, a message that A) Is not appropriate for this forum, and B) No one really wants to hear.

We know ripping packs is a gamble and usually a losing proposition. Some of us choose to do it anway because we can afford to and it makes life a little more fun. Your two contributions to this forum are: Gambing is bad, and the Phillies are great. We know how you feel. We get it. You might want to try removing the broken record and play something new.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>......has anyone had a winning rip from BBCE lately? >>

Thank God I make a comfortable living which affords me many simple pleasures that some may consider unnecessary. What I do know is that it will never be you because you're too much of a cynic (and also a coward) who believes every wax pack has been opened already. You have nearly 10,000 posts, and I can honestly say that I've never seen one of them contribute anything to these boards, or this great hobby. Instead you use your CU posting privilege to talk bad about America (dont think I forgot about that just because that thread went poof). The good people of these boards should not have to log on and put up with more of your misanthropic views, so spare everyone and smarten up or move on. If you do choose to move on, my offer still stands to give you a lift to any international airport as long as your ticket is one way. >>

I like to tell it like it is. You don't like that?...then that's too bad. Your comments here are such BS, all based simply because I warn people about the dangers of gambling - your lies in this post to impress your poker buddy are not worth responding to, but it was an interesting thread.

Thanks for the rip - hope you do it again. Hopefully you won't get an urgent e-mail from your poker affiliate commission sponsor angry because you spent your money on cards rather than blowing it at online poker. LOL
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>blah blah blah....simply because I warn people about the dangers of gambling...blah blah blah >>

Isn't there a 12 steps forum you can post on?

Get a life, buzzkill.
  • Options

<< <i>I concur- stevek sucks. Anytime you're looking for a wet blanket to chime in on an otherwise fun/interesting thread, here comes Skippy!! >>

What wet blanket? I asked a question...you follow the threads here and it was in relation to many other threads about whether or not ripping wax packs is profitable. How many comments were made in this thread about what the values of the cards were? But you didn't comment on that did you?

Of course Nam had fun, and I enjoyed it as well, that was obvious but it also seems obvious to me as well that at this point in time with wax packs, that any dealer who sees a wax pack that has a good potential for profit, is gonna rip it himself and the wax packs that he decides to sell are not of good potential - those he will keep intact and sell - that's my opinion and belief.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>blah blah blah....simply because I warn people about the dangers of gambling...blah blah blah >>

Get a life, buzzkill. >>

I already do. Somebody wants to start an OT thread on poker gambling, then I'm gonna join in if I feel like it, and present the "other" point of view.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Get a life, buzzkill. >>

I already do. Somebody wants to start an OT thread on poker gambling, then I'm gonna join in if I feel like it, and present the "other" point of view. >>

Unfortunately for you, you're the only one with the "other" point of view about your value to this forum.
  • Options

<< <i>Another loser from BBCE. Overall, has anyone had a winning rip from BBCE lately? >>

<< <i>...any dealer who sees a wax pack that has a good potential for profit, is gonna rip it himself and the wax packs that he decides to sell are not of good potential - those he will keep intact and sell - that's my opinion and belief. >>

So between those two comments, are we to assume that it is your opinion and belief that Steve Hart is a cherrypicker? If so, that's a pretty strong accusation. Please provide whatever "proof" you think you might have to back that up...
  • Options
    At least Steve did not dispute that:

A) He talks bad about America.
    B) That he contributes nothing to this forum with relation to the hobby.

He's probably just some reformed drunk or gambler that lost his wife, children, home, job, etc.... because he lacks the mental capacity to do things in moderation. I actually pity him. How does it feel being pitied Steve?