Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

This IS the Official Heisman Rookie Set Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

Maybe, Topps Chrome or Topps, as Bush and Leinart are that way. Personally, I will pick up both....image
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Start adding a few scans to this thread.

Finally got the Bush this last week. It was $20. I remember when they always went over $50. Had the one of the regular Topps...and would still like to get the other version of the base Topps card sometime.

imageimage

Have both the Topps and Topps Chrome on Leinart as well.
    imageimage

These use to be impossible to find. Guess there likely isnt one on eBay now either (without looking) but would really like to get a 10 sometime. I have 17-20 PSA 10's to the set...including 1 or 2 pop. 1, so I can kind of double use it. 9's are fine however.

Will add a few more scans in a day or two.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    Got the Salaam SP today. I have a stack of 15-20 of them raw here, all likely 6-7's, with maybe an 8 among them. These SP cards are pretty hard 10s.

imageimage

Not part of the registry set, but here is Salaam's Topps RC. It was a pop 1 a few months ago, without looking I imagine it still is.
    imageimage

I kind of like the Wild Card cards. There was a Ty Detmer 50 stripe RC for little on eBay forever I see is no longer there. Should have scooped that one maybe.
    imageimage

• Options
    Not a rookie card, but I thought this card was cool. Looks like there is a bunch of versions as this one is numbered to 25.

imageimage

Which brings up the question, what is John Heisman's RC?
  • Options
    Wish it was centered a little better, but it is much cleaner the example I replaced and was pretty much around PSA 6 or a little under in price, so I cant complain.

• Options
    1988 Topps Heisman RCs.

Nice looking set, great player selection, several good rookies...just too much product. Factory sets and boxes often go under $10. But, these two cards still sell well in the $35-50 range.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys....I have re-posted my "backup" Heisman set. All cards are available if anyone would like to fill a hole or upgrade. In most cases, I am just looking for VCP average for the last few transactions of a given card. Good luck to all and let me know if I can help!

Fletch
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    Will check them out Fletch. Have to kinda watch myself this week, as I likely spent a little too much last week (in sportscards at least).

Re: Tebow and Bradford.

Both are in 2010 Elite xxx/499. These might be the rarest cards, that are not too rare for the registry or auto'd. However, I think it best we wait to January, as most products are not out yet.
  • Options

<< <i>Not a rookie card, but I thought this card was cool. Looks like there is a bunch of versions as this one is numbered to 25.

imageimage

Which brings up the question, what is John Heisman's RC? >>

Well, searchng the net the last couple days, this is the only Heisman card (counting all varitions as one card) I can find. There is a card from a guizzmaster like game where you have to guess who the sport players are and of the nine players, one is John Heisman. Anyone know of others?
  • Options

<< <i>Will check them out Fletch. Have to kinda watch myself this week, as I likely spent a little too much last week (in sportscards at least).

Re: Tebow and Bradford.

Both are in 2010 Elite xxx/499. These might be the rarest cards, that are not too rare for the registry or auto'd. However, I think it best we wait to January, as most products are not out yet. >>

I agree we should wait a while...
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    I am fine with waiting. According to the Key Card Set guidline the cards can not be autographed or numbered to less than /999. I would include no jerseys along with the auto but that is just my personal opinion.

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Heisman Collection set singles
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • Options
    correct....no jersey cards, either
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    The Heisman Trophy Trust is expected to strip former University of Southern California star running back Reggie Bush of college football’s top honor by the end of September.

link

They say they will keep it vacant, I would like to see Vince Young get it, he had one of the best championship games I've seen against Bush and USC.
  • Options

<< <i>The Heisman Trophy Trust is expected to strip former University of Southern California star running back Reggie Bush of college football’s top honor by the end of September.

link

They say they will keep it vacant, I would like to see Vince Young get it, he had one of the best championship games I've seen against Bush and USC. >>

Vince said he would not take it, so I imagine they have no choice but to leave it vacant.
  • Options
    Well if they do indeed strip him then it is my feeling that he will need to be romoved for the set as well. Any other thoughts.

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Heisman Collection set singles
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • Options

<< <i>Well if they do indeed strip him then it is my feeling that he will need to be romoved for the set as well. Any other thoughts. >>

• Options
    The set is called Heisman winners. Bush will always be a Heisman winner.

Not to change the subject (which means I am), why don't we use the 1991 Pro Set Ty Detmer card, over the 1992 Stadium Club? I have a Stadium Club in a 10 and do not own the Pro Set graded, so it would not help me, more the opposite, but it seems to me the 1991 should be used. Is there any interest in changing this card?
  • Options
    Just looked it up on Beckett and '91 Pro Set is his RC

1991 Pro Set #37 Ty Detmer HH RC
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

2010 Topps Chrome is out and I was wondering how the set holders felt about the addition of Tebow and Bradford in Topps Chrome, #C100 & #C150.
    Also in a previous post MeteoriteGuy brought up an important point, the 1992 Stadium Club Ty Detmer is not a RC. Detmer has only one RC according to Beckett: 1991 Pro Set #37 Ty Detmer HH

Tom
  • Options
    I agree with the Topps Chrome, however, if we are voting, or like voting in primaries, I suggest we continue what was done on the last Heisman, other then TS, Topps Chrome or Topps regular. I personally would not mind a Topps base option on all cards.

I also wonder how many other cards, are not correct in the set.

I know there is at least one of the 1955 AA's that has an earlier regular card, I was thinking it was Harmon, but I can't seem to find the earlier card on eBay now...it is a Bowman I remember. It makes me wonder, which or the earlier ones are the PSA registry correct components. Which ones I should avoid buying.

Personally, I dont feel like I have to follow PSA that close, so even in the case of Detmer, it doesnt matter too much. Like, I do see the 1992's as rc's and the 1991 as kind of a xrc. In the registry however it is the one we should use.

If I had choice, I would likely use Contender Auto RC's for the last 10 years. Obviously not PSA set canidates.

But I dont mind picking up 3-4 cards for the registry.
  • Options
    So what do you guys think? Should we try to fix the whole set (again) if it needs to be, someone want to cross reference the beckett rc book? I dont have one. Just try to fix Detmer, or ignore Detmer and vote on the new guys.

We get two additions this year.....image

• Options
    No thoughts anyone?

Added an 8 Troy Smith ($9.99) today and moved into the top 10......image
  • Options
    As far as "fixing the whole set"...I was not a huge fan of the last round of "fixes". I dont like the "either/or" idea at all, and I took real umbrage with the either/or on the '48 Lujack. The reason it should've remained exclusively the '48 Bowman was that the Bowman is a SP and the Leaf is not. No different than the HOF rookie set, where the Bulldog Turner and Pete Pihos Bowman cards are the selection.....they are both SP's, and the Leaf cards are not. I would love to re-vote on all of the either/or's to come up with a single set that we can all agree on, but I will not budge my opinion on the Lujack card. I'm not sure, but I dont think ANYONE who collects this set even HAS a Leaf Lujack. I love this set because it is a historical picture of college football and also has Pro football implications....it is truly a fantastic set to collect! If anyone is interested, all of my "2nd" set cards are available, and I have already sold many of them to members of this board. if anyone wants any of them to upgrade your sets, I'm sure we can work it out. thanks to all who have worked with me in the past. As for current business, we need card selections for Tebow and Bradford...
  • Options
    I guess we can just vote on the 2010's right now. It is not my intention to turn anyone off the set or the like. I also collect Heisman autos and ticket stubs, so my interest is not just in these 71/73 cards.

I vote 2010 Topps Chrome.
  • Options
    Vote recap.

Topps Chrome: 1 vote.
  • Options
    Moved my heisman card images over to the registry, so I could delete them from PB, which of course also means my earlier images will not show untill/unless I go back and fix them. Might not bother as most of the better sets have images....very nice guys.

Interestingly, it let me upload but my 1995 SP and 1995 Topps Salaam's, front and back images. I think registry version 1 limited you to two spaces?
  • Options
    Picked up a nice generously graded Garrett RC.

imageimage
  • Options

Finally pass the 50% mark.

• Options
    Hats off to the newest Heisman, Auburn's Cam Newton.
  • Options
    Hello evryone,

After reviewing the choices more closely I believe I have made an error as to my choices of topps chrome for both player additions. Donruss Elite is serial # to 999 and a check on e-Bay shows them to be worth far more. I sent an e-mail to Gail to change my choices to:

#1 2010 Donruss Elite #126 Tim Tebow

#1 2010 Donruss Elite #163 Sam Bradford

Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

I was wondering if one of you fine fellows working on this Heissman set would have an extra 1981 Topps Charles White RC that you may want to part with so I can add it to my Annual Rushing Leaders set. If so, Could you please PM me a scan and a price you would need for it. Thank You, and good luck with your sets. Happy New Year -Clint-
  • Options
  • Options
    Feel free to check my #2 set (Fletcher Collection) for any upgrades you may need....good luck!

Pete
  • Options
    Picked up a nice Johnny Crow RC. I have one ungraded that is 7-8, but I think I got this at a good deal.

imageimage

I bought a 1955 Yopps All-American Frank Sibkwich PSA 8 O/C as well...but it came with a cracked and sealed case. Photos can be seen in the main card forum.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    Anyone have a 2010 topps chrome tebow PSA 10 rookie I can buy?
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It's not a Heisman set, but the brand new Nebraska all-time rookies set overlooks all of their Heisman winners (Crouch, Rodgers, Rozier). I'm hopeful that the Heisman set collectors can raise a stink to PSA about this and get that set on the way to being fixed.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I found the Tebow PSA 10....if anyone else has anything I can use to upgrade my #1 set (Fletcher collection), I am in a generous mood. I hope everyone is doing great and if anyone needs any Heisman cards for their set, please check my #2 set (currently 10th I think). One of them, the Doak Walker PSA-7, is on Ebay now...good luck to all!

Pete
  • Options
    Hi everybody!

I FINALLY got around to finishing scanning my set and I even decided to do back scans on all of my cards as well. As always, if anyone has anything that will upgrade my set, I would be very interested. I still have several really good cards for sale from my "back-up" set if anyone would like to upgrade their sets. Both of my sets can be viewed on the registry (Fletcher Collection). I am not tech savvy enough to provide a link to my #1 set, but if any of you can, feel free to link it here. Thanks to all who have sold me cards in the past and good luck with your collections!

• Options
    The Fletcher Collection-Heisman Trophy Winners Rookies

Congrats on your fourth consecutive PSA Set Award Pete.

Breathtaking 1948 Bowmans! (linked from the set).

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words, Mark! Please let me know if there is anything you need for your set that I can help you with....I am in "sell" mode with a lot of other stuff in my collection, including my "back-up" Heisman set. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Anyone need a 1992 AW Sports #15 Desmond Howard PSA-9 for their set? ...$15 delivered
  • Options
    Hey Pete! What is up dude?

If you still need a Blanchard 8.5 you should contact Army Autin (see the All-American forum or the Registry page) - he perhaps would make a deal with you if you offered him an 8 (plus) in return.

I, too am selling some of my AA's from my 3rd and 4th sets. I have some of the Heisman Rookies in 8 & 8.5. I also have some AA HOF rookies in 8, 8.5, 9 avail. as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Pete! What is up dude?

If you still need a Blanchard 8.5 you should contact Army Autin (see the All-American forum or the Registry page) - he perhaps would make a deal with you if you offered him an 8 (plus) in return.

I, too am selling some of my AA's from my 3rd and 4th sets. I have some of the Heisman Rookies in 8 & 8.5. I also have some AA HOF rookies in 8, 8.5, 9 avail. as well. >>

Diamond Jim...how are you?....thanks for the heads up...I dropped him a note. We'll see if we can work something out!
  • Options
    Macboube.....no dice from Army. Still looking for a '55 Harmon PSA-9 and a '55 Blanchard PSA-8.5 or 9.
  • Options
    Hi everyone.....any thoughts on the rookie cards to use for Mark Ingram and Cam Newton?
  • Options
    I would vote for Dunruss Elite. They only make 999 of them with no signature or patch, so it would fit the perameters. The Newton in PSA 10 I have seen go for $50.00 to $100.00
  • Options
    sounds like a good choice for both guys....any other good options we should consider?
  • Options
    I'm cool with Elite although I would prefer Topps Chrome. Elite does likely fit our perimeters better. Did we even vote last year outside of thread discussion? Seemed like they just chose for us, but maybe I missed the poll.

Finally added an OJ (PSA 8), a Campbell (also 8...cant justify the prices on 9s), and have a SP Auth Ricky Williams 9 on the way to replace my Contenders 9, so finally working on this set a little again. Hope everyone is also slowly working towards their goals.

• Options
    Nice pickups!....it seems like several guys are within 1-2 cards of 100%....We are very close to 7-8 guys at 100%...great job everyone!
  • Options
    The poll came out today...I voted for donruss elite for Ingram, but went with topps chrome for Newton (because he is card #1 in that set, which may keep the pop down for High grades. Also, it might be cool to have 2 card companies represented in the same year for a change...(ala '48 Leaf/Bowman)