N.Y. Mets 14 12 .538 ½ 9-5 5-7 12-7 2-5 0-0 4-6 L 1
Florida 15 13 .536 ½ 7-8 8-5 9-5 6-5 0-3 4-6 L 3
Atlanta 12 15 .444 3 8-4 4-11 8-10 1-2 3-3 4-6 L 4
Washington 12 17 .414 4 8-7 4-10 9-13 3-4 0-0 7-3

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on Mets fans...you can do it...say "Hello"
    Come on now...one little "Hello" to acknowledge a superior baseball team.
    Mets fans can bow down now to the mighty Phillies or wait until the Phillies clinch the NL East - either way is fine.
    I think I'm gonna go out today and smoke myself a nice expensive cigar in celebration of the first place Phillies.

Mets fans can celebrate their second place with a cheap cigarette. LOL
    Philadelphia 17 13 .567 - 9-7 8-6 3-6 9-6 5-1 7-3 W 2
    N.Y. Mets 15 12 .556 ½ 9-5 6-7 12-7 2-5 1-0 5-5 W 1
    Florida 16 13 .552 ½ 8-8 8-5 9-5 6-5 1-3 4-6 W 1
    Atlanta 13 15 .464 3 9-4 4-11 8-10 2-2 3-3 4-6 W 1
    Washington 12 18 .400 5 8-8 4-10 9-13 3-5 0-0 7-

I can plainly see I'm gonna have to get meself a box of these fine cigars. Gonna be celebratin' first place a lot this season.

Mets fans can keep smoking them cheap cigarettes for second place - just like last season. Ha! Ha!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I see you are talking to yourself again.

Keep up the good work!

And put the bottle down.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Hello 1st place Phillies.....

Sincerely,
    1st Place and World Champion Red Sox fans

<< <i>Hello 1st place Phillies.....

Sincerely,
    1st Place and World Champion Red Sox fans >>

A Phillies - Red Sox WS would sure be nice. Would be nicer still if some of that Red Sox good fortune as of late could rub off on the Phillies a little bit. You guys don't need to win the WS every year now do you? image
    Lets see how the sillies do against the real deal Diamondbacks. Who IMO will be the NL rep in the WS

Also, and I don't want to burst your bubble here (well ok maybe I do) but the Sillies have played 4 more games then the METS.

Steve

Good for you.
  • edmundfitzgeraldedmundfitzgerald Posts: 4,306 ✭✭

<< <i>

A Phillies - Red Sox WS would sure be nice. Would be nicer still if some of that Red Sox good fortune as of late could rub off on the Phillies a little bit. You guys don't need to win the WS every year now do you? image >>

Wouldn't you rather it go to the Cubs ? It's been like 100 years since they've won it. It's only been 25+ years for the Phils.
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wouldn't you rather it go to the sCrubs ? >>

The WHO?
    This sure is looking familiar:

Philadelphia 18 14 .562 - 10-8 8-6 3-6 9-6 6-2 7-3 W 1
    N.Y. Mets 16 13 .552 ½ 9-5 7-8 12-7 2-5 2-1 6-4 W 1
    Florida 17 14 .548 ½ 9-9 8-5 9-5 6-5 2-4 4-6 W 1
    Atlanta 15 15 .500 2 11-4 4-11 8-10 4-2 3-3 5-5 W 3
    Washington 14 18 .438 4 10-8 4-10 9-13 5-5 0-0 8-2

<< <i>

<< <i>

A Phillies - Red Sox WS would sure be nice. Would be nicer still if some of that Red Sox good fortune as of late could rub off on the Phillies a little bit. You guys don't need to win the WS every year now do you? image >>

Wouldn't you rather it go to the Cubs ? It's been like 100 years since they've won it. It's only been 25+ years for the Phils. >>

If the Phils don't do it, it would be nice to see the Cubs do it.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Post Padding! image

OK Fine! Hello!

<< <i>Holy Post Padding! image

OK Fine! Hello! >>

I'm dating a 35 year old virgin - she says I can do her when I reach 10,000 CU posts. LOL

<< <i>

<< <i>Holy Post Padding! image

OK Fine! Hello! >>

I'm dating a 35 year old virgin - she says I can do her when I reach 10,000 CU posts. LOL >>

+1
  • 1991 / 1992 / 1993 / 1995 / 1996 / 1997 / 1998 / 1999 / 2000 / 2001 / 2002 / 2003 / 2004 / 2005

1993 / 2007

I guess this is the reason why Philly fans celebrate first place in May......it's the only time they can!!! GO BRAVES CHOP CHOP!!

<< <i>1991 / 1992 / 1993 / 1995 / 1996 / 1997 / 1998 / 1999 / 2000 / 2001 / 2002 / 2003 / 2004 / 2005

1993 / 2007

I guess this is the reason why Philly fans celebrate first place in May......it's the only time they can!!! GO BRAVES CHOP CHOP!! >>

Braves hitting has been very good I must admit. But the Phillies have a better team.
    This just in:

National League
    Final 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    Philadelphia « 1 0 4 0 0 0 4 1 1 11 17 1
    Arizona 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 4 11 2

W: J. Moyer (2-2) L: M. Scherzer (0-1)
    HR: PHI - None ARI - C. Snyder (2)

Final 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    N.Y. Mets 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 5 1
    L.A. Dodgers « 2 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 x 5 7 0

W: C. Billingsley (2-4) L: O. Perez (2-3)
    HR: NYM - None LA - R. Furcal (5), B. Dewitt (1), M. Kemp (3)

Phillies looking like "Big Brown" out there! image
    Ain't this purdy?

Philadelphia 19 14 .576 - 10-8 9-6 3-6 9-6 7-2 7-3 W 2
    Florida 17 14 .548 1 9-9 8-5 9-5 6-5 2-4 4-6 W 1
    N.Y. Mets 16 14 .533 1½ 9-5 7-9 12-7 2-5 2-2 5-5 L 1
    Atlanta 15 15 .500 2½ 11-4 4-11 8-10 4-2 3-3 5-5 W 3
    Washington 14 18 .438 4½ 10-8 4-10 9-13 5-5 0-0 8-2
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ain't this purdy?

Washington 14 18 .438 4½ 10-8 4-10 9-13 5-5 0-0 8-2 >>

Pretty tight race there. Even the Nationals can make a run and get into first place.

<< <i>

<< <i>Ain't this purdy?

Washington 14 18 .438 4½ 10-8 4-10 9-13 5-5 0-0 8-2 >>

Pretty tight race there. Even the Nationals can make a run and get into first place. >>

Florida is definitely starting to worry me. They've had seasons in the past where they've "surprised" the forecasters and went on to win a championship.

It certainly appears so far, that only the winner of the NL East is going to go to the playoffs. It's of course still early but trends are beginning to develop.

Those Red Sox of Boston that you root for are doing quite well - congrats on that - gonna be very hard to stop them from winning the AL pennant again - they still seem hungry which is a good thing - they still wanna win championships.

What Grote15 and other Mets fans don't understand is that there is a difference beteween "mercenary" players and "high paid players who want to win" - Boston obviously has high paid players, but it's a group of players who sincerely want to win championships. Certain teams, two from New York come to mind, sure seem to have a group of players that despite their talent on paper, don't care if they win for a variety of reasons. Frankly, I first noticed this when the Yankees lost that playoff series to Boston a few years ago when they were leading 3 games to none. After losing that 7th game, those Yankees players, most of them, looked like they really couldn't care less, and didn't seem to mind at all the fact that they were going home. Likely they make so much money now, that a "championship" and the little extra percentage money compared to their salary that they get for it, isn't really worth it to them after a long season. Yankees and Mets fans may disagree with that, but I believe it is true. Even for a highly talented, highly paid player, without motivation they simply don't perform up to expectations in the times when they really need to perform. Get too many of these mercenary types on a team and yes they'll win games, but overall they won't win championships.

-
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Wen't the Dbacks the best team in the NL? Phillies destroyed them!

NO MAS NO MAS!!!!!

JS
  • edmundfitzgeraldedmundfitzgerald Posts: 4,306 ✭✭

<< <i>

What Grote15 and other Mets fans don't understand is that there is a difference beteween "mercenary" players and "high paid players who want to win" - Boston obviously has high paid players, but it's a group of players who sincerely want to win championships. Certain teams, two from New York come to mind, sure seem to have a group of players that despite their talent on paper, don't care if they win for a variety of reasons. Frankly, I first noticed this when the Yankees lost that playoff series to Boston a few years ago when they were leading 3 games to none. After losing that 7th game, those Yankees players, most of them, looked like they really couldn't care less, and didn't seem to mind at all the fact that they were going home. Likely they make so much money now, that a "championship" and the little extra percentage money compared to their salary that they get for it, isn't really worth it to them after a long season. Yankees and Mets fans may disagree with that, but I believe it is true. Even for a highly talented, highly paid player, without motivation they simply don't perform up to expectations in the times when they really need to perform. Get too many of these mercenary types on a team and yes they'll win games, but overall they won't win championships.

- >>

Just wondering out loud. According to your logic, which Phillies player "appeard" upset when they lost to Colorado last year?
    It looked to me like they just packed their bags the same way the Mets and Yanks did. Did any of them react a way different
    from the Yanks or Mets ? Again, just wondering out loud here, nothing more, nothing less.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

- >>

Just wondering out loud. According to your logic, which Phillies player "appeard" upset when they lost to Colorado last year?
    It looked to me like they just packed their bags the same way the Mets and Yanks did. Did any of them react a way different
    from the Yanks or Mets ? Again, just wondering out loud here, nothing more, nothing less. >>

how quickly you forget. One team did react differently last year. A photo as a gentle reminder:

<< <i>Wen't the Dbacks the best team in the NL? Phillies destroyed them!

NO MAS NO MAS!!!!!

JS >>

Exactly right - There were some Phillies bashers on here who said the Phillies hadn't played any good teams yet. Well gee whiz - is beating the team with the best record in baseball, playing anybody good yet?

I wouldn't be surprised if some Mets fans here don't even post anymore here during this baseball season as their Mets languish in mediocrity.

-

<< <i>

<< <i>

- >>

from the Yanks or Mets ? Again, just wondering out loud here, nothing more, nothing less. >>

The Phillies players were deeply upset and saddened by the loss. Yes, they're all professional athletes and they packup their bags and go home after the season is over. But you would have had to of seen both teams reactions on TV and in interviews to understand what I'm referring to.

To us it's entertainment, but to them it's their job and a living. But different players react differently and you should know what is meant by that - some players really do care if their team wins, and some players just provide lip service and don't really care as long as they get paid.

-
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

That picture reminds me of one time I had really, really, really bad hemroids.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Geez the paper I read this morning had the sillies NOT in 1st place.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, you'd think that SteveK would stick to pontificating about the ill effects of gambling instead of spouting this nonsense about how certain teams "want to win" more than others. That's about as ridiculous an argument that one can fathom. The best player on the Mets is David Wright, a product of the farm system, along with Jose Reyes. 80% of their starting pitching staff (4 out of 5 right now) are also either home-grown or not even eligible for free agency.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Geez, you'd think that SteveK would stick to pontificating about the ill effects of gambling instead of spouting this nonsense about how certain teams "want to win" more than others. That's about as ridiculous an argument that one can fathom. The best player on the Mets is David Wright, a product of the farm system, along with Jose Reyes. 80% of their starting pitching staff (4 out of 5 right now) are also either home-grown or not even eligible for free agency. >>

"pontificating" - Jerry has probably been waiting for years to place that word in a post. image

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>

<< <i>image >>

That picture reminds me of one time I had really, really, really bad hemroids.

image >>

LOL image

• << <i>Geez, you'd think that SteveK would stick to pontificating about the ill effects of gambling . >>

I like it when Stevek pontificates about the ill effects of gambling, because he's right 99% of the time.image
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    I want to take a moment to personally thank the Phillies for Gavin Floyd, two near no-hitters so far this season. Thanks for giving up on him. imageimage
  • alpemomoalpemomo Posts: 355

I like it when Stevek pontificates about the ill effects of gambling, because he's right 99% of the time.

55.7% of all stats are made-up on the spot - including this one..... Steven Wright

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi

<< <i>

<< <i>Geez, you'd think that SteveK would stick to pontificating about the ill effects of gambling . >>

I like it when Stevek pontificates about the ill effects of gambling, because he's right 99% of the time.image >>

The other 1% is pontificating. image

<< <i>I want to take a moment to personally thank the Phillies for Gavin Floyd, two near no-hitters so far this season. Thanks for giving up on him. imageimage >>

Why don't you just remind me of Ferguson Jenkins while you're at it? image

Of course the Mets gave up on a Hall of Fame pitcher as well...I forget his name but I remember they traded him for Jim Fregosi.
  • It's so cute to hear Phillies fans talk so big now, only to see them fail in the fall!!!! Don't look now, but the Marlins have taken over the top spot...with the Braves creeping in the Phils rearview mirror.
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
    Phillies have the Mets and Braves number - I ain't even worried about them. But dam Florida has to pick a year to be good.

Well, it's still way too early to panic...but it's setting up like a two horse race to the wire, and hopefully Florida will start backing up.
    Florida? The team with the lowest payroll?

What happened to all the salary talk?

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Phillies have the Mets and Braves number - I ain't even worried about them. But dam Florida has to pick a year to be good.

Well, it's still way too early to panic...but it's setting up like a two horse race to the wire, and hopefully Florida will start backing up. >>

Interesting how you have the Braves number, yet haven't played them yet this year. Guess we'll find out next week.
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
    Am I the only one sick of the crappy Phillies pitching staff? I mean Hamels and Kendrick are studs,but after that we have to pray
    for 3 days that the Phillies out slug the other club to get wins. Moyer and Eaton wouldn't even be #5 guys on a lot of teams. When
    is the tightwad Phillie front office going to pull their wallets out of the tightly clinched buttocks and find Cole some freaking help?
    This year we actually have a legit closer but much of the time we can't get to him cause Eaton and Moyer have pitched 4 innings of
    beachballs.

Cmon Phillies, spend some freaking money!

JS

<< <i>Am I the only one sick of the crappy Phillies pitching staff? I mean Hamels and Kendrick are studs,but after that we have to pray
    for 3 days that the Phillies out slug the other club to get wins. Moyer and Eaton wouldn't even be #5 guys on a lot of teams. When
    is the tightwad Phillie front office going to pull their wallets out of the tightly clinched buttocks and find Cole some freaking help?
    This year we actually have a legit closer but much of the time we can't get to him cause Eaton and Moyer have pitched 4 innings of
    beachballs.

JS >>

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

<< <i>

<< <i>Phillies have the Mets and Braves number - I ain't even worried about them. But dam Florida has to pick a year to be good.

Well, it's still way too early to panic...but it's setting up like a two horse race to the wire, and hopefully Florida will start backing up. >>

Interesting how you have the Braves number, yet haven't played them yet this year. Guess we'll find out next week. >>

I didn't Google it but most years recently the Phillies have handled the Braves with no problem. It's the weaker teams that the Phillies seem to have a bad habit of losing to, up until last season that is, and despite the Phillies pitching flaws, they'll still win the NL East as long as Florida doesn't somehow have a miracle season.

<< <i>

<< <i>Am I the only one sick of the crappy Phillies pitching staff? I mean Hamels and Kendrick are studs,but after that we have to pray
    beachballs.

JS >>

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! >>

I can't wait to see Pats fans whining and crying when the Pats struggle this upcoming season - I'm looking forward to it. I can see the Boston Newspaper headlines now, "Fire Belichick and trade Brady and release Moss" LOL
    LENS CAP

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sincerely,
    The Patsies
    Pitties in first place?

Steve
    Good for you.